The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BornToRide
    Yes, It sounded Dutch to me as well - was definitely not German
    Yes - if you're a German speaker, there are SOME words of Dutch you can pick up, but...not the same as German. I personally think that Dutch is much harder than German, but maybe that's because I'm more used to hearing German than I am to hearing Dutch.

Actually, it's kind of interesting...one of my schoolteachers (he is Dutch) and I once debated German v. Dutch linguistics. He said that during World War II, the Dutch used to detect Germans trying to enter the country by asking them to pronounce the name of a certain Dutch town (I can't remember which one), as no one but the Dutch could pronounce it.
    http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ncer/?start=20

Mares are like neutrons. If there are too many in an area, you approach critical mass. And then there are explosions. Loud ones.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue
    dressage performed on a barefoot mustang
    Hey! I have one of those! I have to do a "dressage demonstration" next weekend at the Virginia Indian Horse Festival in a pasture no less and that on a 5 year old stallion doing approx first level...should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by siegi b.
    Noir - let me answer your question...

Go back and read ALL the responses to this thread... and then realize that what to some people is gorgeous, is totally wrong to others. That alone should tell you something... namely, that the vast majority of posters doesn't have a clue. But they still sit around and shake their collective fingers at big, bad rollkur Anky. It's really quite laughable.
    So some people think it's beautiful and some don't like it.

So what. There is a lot of variety across the many different sports that people do with horses and what is beautiful to some people is not to others. Big deal.

Those are opinions. Why can't people state opinions on this board without people with different opinions arguing about ignorance and right and wrong and correct/incorrect? And when people state something that is an opinion, why can't they realize it's not fact?

That ride got a record high score from licensed judges who see a lot more Grand Prix rides than the rest of us. So it probably is technically correct. That doesn't affect whether I like it or not any more than a person's technical skill at playing a musical instrument affects whether I like the song they are playing. Dressage is, to a certain extent, an art, and art begets opinions.

If you don't like Rollkur and don't like how Anky rides, don't emulate her. If you think she's great then that's fine too. If you truly think Rollkur is abusive then contact the Humane Society or ASPCA and try to get it banned. However, your time might be better spent advocating for starving, diseased, neglected horses, or horses on the way to the slaughterhouse, than advocating for well-kept competition animals that are subjected to a training method that you don't like. If you do think Rollkur is great

Okay, back to my habit of just lurking 99% of the time.

Oh, one more thing, for the record, I didn't think that ride was beautiful. Just my opinion. No offense intended to those who did. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

He said that during World War II, the Dutch used to detect Germans trying to enter the country by asking them to pronounce the name of a certain Dutch town (I can't remember which one), as no one but the Dutch could pronounce it.
    Bet that was s'Hertogenbosch i can't even spell it and you have no idea how many times you have to try and say it. Everyone calls it tenBosh

question: can some one point of why that ride was so wonderful that it deserved an all time high score? (serious question)

i have been thinking alot about Int'l dressage and i guess what bothers me is that somewhere along the line we lost the part in dressage that is about beauty and art and feeling and now it is all about errors and how many steps and etc . so we now have a toprider that has figured out how to get the technical (how many steps, etc) but not, in my opinion, in intent of dressage. what is missing is the feeling and harmony.

i see a horse that has been taught to be submissive no matter what and to do exactly what the rider says with no input from the horse.... no feeling of the horse doing on its own what the rider asks...... (ie the is no salinero in that ride... that is all AVG. she does not ever give him a moment to express himself. ) even with the music to me it is a cold calculated ride with no emotion.

i guess that is my biggest issue and why Intl dressage, for the most part, fails to exite me. Of course, there are exception as when i see a ride by Mr Schmidt - which brings tears to my eyes because he *does* bring to his rides the art/emotion/harmony of dressage.

I am hoping that his turn will be next as he has paid his dues and its time for a change.

can some one point of why that ride was so wonderful that it deserved an all time high score? (serious question)
    Freestyles are scored on both technical and artistic components. Artistic merit is somewhat subjective, but it's the reason freestyle scores tend to be considerably higher than their regular ride counterparts.

Artistically, one of the neatest things was the way the one tempis hit so perfectly on the beat. The same in the trot extensions.

so kathy becuase of the hitting ont he beat it deserves the highest score ever? i am honestly trying to understand as, like i mentioned before, this ride didnt do anything for me (or for SJ for that matter given his face at the end of the ride)...

so since AVGs trainer didnt think it was a good ride what did the judges see that made them think so??

It's important to understand that a freestyle is not scored the same as a standard GP test. There are both technical and artistic components, which are averaged, and there are no errors possible (because there is no mandated pattern). So, we can dissect each technical flaw, but it will not weigh as heavily as it would in a standard test, because the rider also gets an artistic score. If the artistic score is very high, it can over-ride a lot of technical difficulties.

Halts are compulsory in freestyles, if it was in this thread someone said they were not.

I have not watched enough GP freestyles to say if that was the best ever. It's one of the best I've seen, but I also loved Anky's Love is Blue freestyle. I can't say if Sjeff liked that ride or not. He appeared to be either stone walling the cameras or thinking about something else like, "is the baby ever going to sleep through the night so I can get some rest?"

actually he was just very nervous for her, he's always like that and it can't fun having the camera on your face when you feel like that.

fiona - why was he so nervous? (as an aside, i have seen his reactions for other rides and he has looked happy/relieved for those. )

and kathy suggests that perhaps he may be thinking about the baby and fiona says he is very nervous.... and i thought he looked dissapointed....

interesting how everyone sees something different

of course i have no clue what he is thinking but they show these clips of the trainers/owners for a reason, yes??

Please, those of you that did not like AvG's ride, point me to a few different videos of some GP rides that you thought were better? It doesn't have to necessarily be in a competition but it needs to be a test. It wouldn't be fair to compare individual movements with a whole test.

But, if their is a video of a non-competative horse doing a test that you liked a whole lot better, then please show us. And I am not trying to be snide, I want to see what is "ideal" or as close to perfect as we can get.

Jenn

Just for grins, here is the Grand Prix Freestyle scoresheet. If you wanted to score her ride, you could. I'm sure it would be opening a can of worms to compare our scores, but it might be fun.

Notice the TIMES 4 coefficient for the artistic marks. You can get a cumulative of 200 on technical and 200 on artistic, so they are of equal weight. But giving "harmony" or "interpretation of music" each a score of 40 is a lot more subjective than giving the one tempis a score of 10.

http://www.horsesport.org/PDFS/D/05_02/free/GPF_E.pdf

Anyone else notice that in the right of that page, slightly below the video, it says "We will forward your comments, good or bad to the FEI Officers and the judges. Click here" Should we send them this thread and see what happens

Oh - I'm still waiting for this video to load due my slow connection, but I've got up to the first trot extension... He's behind the bit for a lot of the diagonal. *shrugs* Just my observation, that many of the horses, whose riders use r/k, seem to produce tests that see horses slightly behind the vertical, or even a little bit more, for most of the test... There's another video of Anky and Krack C which shows this too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenn2674
    Please, those of you that did not like AvG's ride, point me to a few different videos of some GP rides that you thought were better? It doesn't have to necessarily be in a competition but it needs to be a test. It wouldn't be fair to compare individual movements with a whole test.

But, if their is a video of a non-competative horse doing a test that you liked a whole lot better, then please show us. And I am not trying to be snide, I want to see what is "ideal" or as close to perfect as we can get.

Jenn
    edited to ask: are you only wanting to see kur rides or any GP ride?

recently my favorite kur ride has been hubertus schmidt and forest gump -

http://stuttgart-german-masters.de/b...ertus_kuer.wmv

you can see video here and there are other clips of kur rides too for comparison

http://www.eurodressage.com/reports/...stuttgart.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Johnson
    Just for grins, here is the Grand Prix Freestyle scoresheet. If you wanted to score her ride, you could. I'm sure it would be opening a can of worms to compare our scores, but it might be fun.

Notice the TIMES 4 coefficient for the artistic marks. You can get a cumulative of 200 on technical and 200 on artistic, so they are of equal weight. But giving "harmony" or "interpretation of music" each a score of 40 is a lot more subjective than giving the one tempis a score of 10.

http://www.horsesport.org/PDFS/D/05_02/free/GPF_E.pdf
    Kathy, this scoresheet wasn't valid at the time of the ride. This scoresheet is valid from 01/06/2006

Now, can I help it if the FEI is behind/ahead of the times? I got the scoresheet from their site. Have there been any changes of note?

Thankyou MBM. That is exactly the ride by Schmidt that I pointed out as one I "liked" 3 pages ago but nobody paid any attention to what I said. Someone specifically asked (after saying I sounded bitter - but I think just a little disappointed) what rides I liked and that one is currently on the top of my list. I have it on my computer but can't make a link to it.

fiona - why was he so nervous? (as an aside, i have seen his reactions for other rides and he has looked happy/relieved for those. )
    I think the competition was in a different hall than usual and everyone was worried about whether it would be noisy and how the horses would react, especially sjef! When they came into the arena everyone was soooooo quiet and later Anky thanked the audience for that. Sjef really did look green!

two observations.
    1) How on earth can you all be sooo sure that Sjef's reaction is because he didn't like the ride?? He could have been asked by Geoff (the guy next to him), did Salinero's coat shine enough, if the judges would be nice, if Anky's groom had put the champagne in the fridge, geez maybe even Geoff farted and that was Sjef's reaction. I think you people are incredible to assume you know what he was reacting to, maybe you've got esp. Good lord.

2) It is really interesting to me how many of you invest negative energy into studying Anky. People like mbm and paula have been posting their disapproval of her riding and training for years now, and despite saying they get no enjoyment form watching her, they seem to watch her a lot, hence these analyses of her on just about every rk or anky thread ever started here or over yonder on the other dressage board. How sad to be so negative, so often (and really, check out ALL your posts, there are a lot). If you are truly turned off by her why don't you just stop watching her, stop commentng about her and stop letting the way she rides make you so upset.

Me, I LOVE watching her ride and hence love commenting on why, my Anky experience is coming from a positive place. If something distresses ME I just would not bother exposing myself to it. I truly feel sorry for you if you cannot stand her training but still can't turn away and go do something else. How sad.

But at least you haven't dedicated your life to creating a WHOLE website aimed at discrediting Anky and her students, that would just be too pathetic to consider. Some people really do live a negative and bitter life don't they.