The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thanks for posting that link!!
    Proud Member of the League of Weenie Eventers
    Proud Member of the Courageous Weenie Eventers Clique

Thanks for this link. I thought it was an awesome ride! How anyone could think he looked tired is beyond me?? His topline was ROCK steady throughout the entire test...that tells me a lot! Only thing I noticed as big error was the halt (he looked like he just wanted to try his heart out smack through both halts.) Very minor errors were a little head tilt in the trot half pass right and popped his croup up a couple times in canter (far from a buck.) I saw no tension rather a huge, big, trying heart!!! Great ride!!! thanks again! No horse who is being abused would try that hard!!!

Can't point you to a file but I loved Hubertus Schmidts ride on Forrest Gump at Stuttgart.(?) I know it wasn't technically the best but it made us all so happy to watch.

He gave the impression of having "following hands" as though the horse was setting the agenda and he was making suggestions rather than the horse being locked in between the rider's hands and seat/spur.

After all, we were talking about "like" not making a comment on technical correctness as per the judges.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the link!

It would give me great pleasure to ride with that grace and elegance...

Thanks for the link! I always enjoy watching good upper level dressage, wether it's Grand Prix or four star. Very nice.

I may be saying what I'm about to say because I didn't sleep well, but...

To those who like to rip apart this test, or anything Anky does, have any of you ridden in a World Cup, or at Grand Prix, even?

I thought both Anky and Sjef were probably surprised by the final score. He certainly looks like he thought the display was "average" (which would certainly win anyway, since they usually do). He's shuttling his head. I thought it looked pretty much the way it usually does, too. No major errors, no visible aids or other extreme dis-harmony, except for canter departs. I haven't seen the other's ride, but it may very well be that she was the best in this final. So I say nothing about that.

P & P: The horse is wiiiide in front and very narrow behind. The view from in front conceals that the back is sort of sway in the piaffe, but it's obvious to the trained eye. Very "leggy".

Traverse: Traversale to the right (1:40) the head is very tilted, and that goes along with the horse not bending in right turns. Hindquarters skid to the outside in right turns. Hindquarters off to the inside in left turns.

Pirouettes not sitting. No overtracking in extended trot or extended walk.

I don't think he whisked his tail more than other horses in a GP test.
    I think it's a brilliant choreography to the music. Simply brilliant! Hats off to Slings & Kerkhof!

Theresa
    "Tradition ist nicht Asche bewahren, sondern die Weitergabe des Feuers"
    "Tradition är inte att spara askan, utan att föra elden vidare"

Exclamation R word??? R Word/???

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepers
    No one has said the R-word yet... Although it has been alluded to. Once that is said it'll turn into one of those atrocious threads that debates the topic for scores of pages. But that is why there is animosity towards her.
    What R word ??? You mean Rollkur??? Oh my heavens I said it.
    The reason I asked about the guy at the ens, was he had a rather disguisted look on his face!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

The judges scored on what they saw in the arena. That's why it was not a perfect score. I saw the sight attempt at buck at the one tempis depart (as did the annoucer) but she put a quick stop to that. And the lack of halt ( I must say the photographer knows when to zoom in and out). And the attempt of the piaffe at the final salute. He seems to be confused about halt. But sorry, as much as I dislike RK and can't stand to watch it, I have to say it was a beautiful job. This horse was right on the edge but constantly listening and giving his all to his rider.

Default I'm sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Stirrup
    The judges scored on what they saw in the arena. That's why it was not a perfect score. I saw the sight attempt at buck at the one tempis depart (as did the annoucer) but she put a quick stop to that. And the lack of halt ( I must say the photographer knows when to zoom in and out). And the attempt of the piaffe at the final salute. He seems to be confused about halt. But sorry, as much as I dislike RK and can't stand to watch it, I have to say it was a beautiful job. This horse was right on the edge but constantly listening and giving his all to his rider.
    Right on the edge of what?? Brillance, or insanity??
    I am rather Surprised that the halt is not there, To me that is so basic. And before you kill me, I have seen her ride many tests, she had a nice halt with others.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Default OK Heres a straight question...

Someone eluded to the fact that Rollkur.. dang I said it! when used in warmup produced Flashy extravagant gaits in the ring.
    Is that the true reason for using it?? If it is, I can understand, may not agree with it, but if your trying to impress, and win, Besides correctness, one would want to stand out above the other competetors. Is that over simplifying?
    Or is it as someone aluded to me, in another thread, Sabryant I believe, That the horse is so over the top, that it is the only way to control him.
    Her comment to me was that if I was to use the lightest of aides, on a horse like that, I would end up in a body brace. To me, There is something wrong with the training if the horse is that uncontrollable. Someone please help me out here! If that is the same Salinero you are referring to , he did not look that extravagant at all, I have seen more extravagant rides, and flambouant gaits. He did not look that close to the edge so to speak.

I not going to defend Anky. I don't like RK and as I said, I can't stand to watch it. I'm sure I'll never be at a level to ever have to even consider using it. "Dressage showing" and dressage training are not the same animal as they used to be in mho. The judges saw a powerful, forward athlete performing the movements as the modern "show horse" is expected to and judged accordingly. I saw a very fit, tough horse whose energy was wisely kept under control by a tackful ride. I did not have the chance to see other rides so have nothing to compare with. Maybe this ride reflected the best ride of the day when compared to the perfection the judges must judge against. I'm sure if it wasn't someone who was there or has seen other, better rides from that day will enlighten us.

What do you all think of his passage work in particular? For some reason his passage always looks tense and stilted. There's a jerkiness to it rather than a smoothness.

I will say that's the best piaffe I've seen this horse do. I also love her music. That last halt was very dissappointing.

Thanks for the link.

They look better than the last time I saw them.

I don't like Rolkur and I can't stand Sjeff, but I dream of riding like Anky did on that tape. I thought she did a great job. Agree he is not perfect in the canter departs. There is still some tension there and in the halts. Still it was fabulous to watch.

Question

Would pleasecheckout the extend trot? It seemed to me that there w as an"extra articulation" in the pasternjoint not unlike some saddlebreds?
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Quote Originally Posted by BornToRide
    You do all realize that a constantly swishing tail in a performance horse is a very good indicator of tension and discomfort. This horse only shows some tail swishing in a few transitions and the canter pirouettes. To me this is a pretty good sign that this horse is performing mostly tension free.
    This is what I watched closely, too ... and to me, the tail looked very relaxed except for a few movements.

As I understand it, swishing tail can be discomfort or a sign of intense effort or concentration (or worry) ... but the general lack of any of that impressed me.

As for teh horse looking off ... keep in mind that you're getting this over the internet and not only server speed but your network speed is going to affect what you see. I could defininetly detect lag in delivery ... but that was about the most fantastic piaffe and passage I've ever seen ... level, steady, consistent ... and w/out tail swishing.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

That was a beautiful ride???

It is probably as accurate as it can possibly be with the horse in the balance that he is in. Correct, no, accurate, yes.
    Horses don't lie.

I think as we've all noted, there are things that can be improved uponbut I expect Anky knows that. My personal pet peeve in this ride is the lack of a fluid walk. Frankly, I think Salinero looks like he's forgotten how to walk. Just walk. But that's me. The lack of a halt bothered me too, but my horse frequently does exactly what Salinero did, despite my best efforts to fix it, so who am I to complain!

All in all, I do enjoy watching kur rides because even the worst ones are lovely. At that level, nothing is perfect, but its better than anything I'm likely to see in my barn!

Such igonorance on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Funckyfilly
    Such igonorance on this board.
    You would make a little more impact if you would explain why you think so and not just do a general staement like that. Maybe you are one of those who make up the ignorance on this board.

Noir
    "Tradition ist nicht Asche bewahren, sondern die Weitergabe des Feuers"
    "Tradition är inte att spara askan, utan att föra elden vidare"

Noir - let me answer your question...

Go back and read ALL the responses to this thread... and then realize that what to some people is gorgeous, is totally wrong to others. That alone should tell you something... namely, that the vast majority of posters doesn't have a clue. But they still sit around and shake their collective fingers at big, bad rollkur Anky. It's really quite laughable.
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.