The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Talking OMG Iced tea...

Quote Originally Posted by lstevenson
    Wow, this says alot about the way you ride and train slc.

So you hold your horse up, huh?

What does he do when you are not there to hold him up? Does he flip over while cantering through his pasture?
    All over the monitor... It just caught me off guard! LOL
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Question slc...

Quote Originally Posted by slc2
    so tonja, if a horse pulls, you ride on the buckle?

boy do i have a little boy you need to ride, LOL, you do that, and you will be picking your teeth one by one up off the floor, because he will fall on his face and flip over, and you will be under him.

slc
    did you or did you not type this???
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

...cross country, anyone?
    Last edited by sm; Jun. 20, 2006 at 02:04 PM.

Thumbs up You betcha..

Quote Originally Posted by sm
    ...cross country, anyone?
    sm!!! Yeah! Uh huh... dont you just want to ride a horse like that on the Cross country course!

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois
    sm!!! Yeah! Uh huh... dont you just want to ride a horse like that on the Cross country course!
    You'd be walking around with your knuckles scraping the ground afterwards...
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

well, not me. My idea of cross country for that poor horse is to walk a hill or two (engage back throughness) and find a grassy spot. Get off, loosen the chin strap, and find a spot to graze. See if the horse remembers how to be a horse. Same way home -- hills.

Exclamation I know...

Quote Originally Posted by sm
    well, not me. My idea of cross country for that poor horse is to walk a hill or two (engage back throughness) and find a grassy spot. Get off, loosen the chin strap, and find a spot to graze. See if the horse remembers how to be a horse. Same way home -- hills.
    I meant that tongue in cheek!
    I really wish SLC would explain what she meant by that! and why its not a problem with the training???

I know Sannois... it's a sorry state of affairs. Who really considers a hack to be cross country anyway, but that poor horse was tortured enough. Can you imagine actually trying to do anything that required balance, it'd blow the horse's mind.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by egontoast
    and pigs might fly someday too
    Ah, eggie, a poster after my own heart.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Question

What has become of starting each session with wtc on loose rein?before taking up contact, and beginning "work?
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Default r e adding fueltot fire?

Unfortunately this rollkur stuff just "adds fuel to theParellis' , MrsP.., that is fireIs it any wonder people watcht them , and go t tothe /parellis?
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Carol Ames wrote:
    Unfortunately this rollkur stuff just "adds fuel to theParellis' , MrsP.., that is fireIs it any wonder people watcht them , and go t tothe /parellis?
    No kidding! I wonder if the FEI has any idea how many people are so appalled by the ‘dressage’ training they see that they turn away from dressage in favor of other activities.

I wonder if the FEI has any idea how many people are so appalled by the ‘dressage’ training they see that they turn away from dressage in favor of other activities.
    I understand them. I've seen abusive training in all disciplines - notably the least in eventing - and the worst was in dressage. Sadly.

You cannot really blame people for thinking dressage is evil, when 99% of what is seen is bad dressage. Yuk.

Quote Originally Posted by Moll
    I understand them. I've seen abusive training in all disciplines - notably the least in eventing - and the worst was in dressage. Sadly.

You cannot really blame people for thinking dressage is evil, when 99% of what is seen is bad dressage. Yuk.
    But the fact is that in the most countries in Europe dressage is growing at very high rates. See the last reports of the Royal Dutch Equestrian Federation.

Some snippets of this report : my translation

Last year the active competition riders in the Netherland has grown with 16%.

Dressage is by far the most populair discipline in the Netherlands.

The last 5 years there were 33 million starts.

80% of the dressage-riders are female.

The average cost per year paid for their sport is Euro 600,= for non-horse owners
    2.700,= for horse owners

81 % of the riders do also ride in the woods, greenfields or seaside.
    Theo