The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Yeah boy, just let some holier than thou DQ's get ahold of a FUN thread like this and ruin it for everyone! Ya'll need to crawl back into your little "perfect world" and STAY THERE. I am white trash redneck from NC and durned proud of it thank you (I might add WITH my parents having come from east tennesee mountains it don't get any trashier than that, unless of course, you are from west virgnia, where the men are men and the women are too! )

But back to the topic at hand. I really feel that white trash dressage riders must have some reference to NASCAR, WWW or some other appropriate white trash sport or institution (and now that the Carolina hurricanes are trying their darndest to win the stanley cup, we will ACCEPT Redneck Hockey as an apporpriate white trash sport!) A six pack of beer, firearm (preferably the trusty redneck potato gun) and tatoo's should DEFINITELY get you brownie points.

Just Kidding?
    Reconciling Humor with Respect
    by Sondra Thiederman, PhD

Laughter is a great antidote for workplace stress and tedium. Jokes, humor and teasing all create a light atmosphere in which teams are formed, friendships cemented, and energy and productivity increased. That is, if the jokes, humor and teasing are not at the expense of any one group of employees. Jokes, for example, that denigrate women, minorities or gay people can be hurtful, divisive and, in the worst cases, grounds for discrimination suits. Managers and employees face the challenge of encouraging respect for diversity without stifling the levity we all crave in our fast-paced lives.
    Many employees have resisted changing the nature of their humor, because they never understood why particular jokes were a problem. After all, they reason, if no member of the targeted group is within earshot, no harm done. What they forget is you never know who can hear the joke from another room or will learn through the grapevine that the offending comment was made. Also, how do you know someone who is listening is in fact not a member of the group being joked about? It is impossible to know, for example, whether someone is gay or has an ethnic or racially mixed heritage.
    But there is an even more important reason for avoiding potentially offensive humor. Let's assume that the people who hear the joke or comment are not of the group being joked about, no team member from the group will ever know the joke has been told and the people listening have no negative feelings about what has been said. Even under these unlikely circumstances, there is still a problem. Telling potentially offensive jokes and comments sends a message to all team members, regardless of gender, race or background, that your workplace is one in which it is acceptable to make fun of people and respect for individuals of all backgrounds is not truly valued. That is the single most important reason to make an effort to use humor that does not depend on denigrating particular groups.
    Another element confusing the issue is that sometimes women and minorities tell jokes about themselves and even laugh when others tell them. The logic is clear and understandable: "If they can tell those jokes, why can't I?" It may surprise you to hear it is no more acceptable for a member of a group to tell a joke about the group than it is for a nonmember. No matter who is telling the joke, the behavior contributes to an atmosphere of disrespect and discomfort.
    Also, the fact that a person laughs at an inappropriate joke does not necessarily mean he or she is comfortable. Think about it. Have you ever gone along with a comment or joke that upset you just because you did not want to appear judgmental or uptight? All people are prone to do this, especially when they feel left out or at a disadvantage. The last thing any person who feels like an outsider wants to do is separate himself further by not going along with the program. If you recall a time when you were the outsider, you will no doubt remember the same urge to blend in and ignore offensive comments or behavior.

Land of cold, snow, & bugs, AKA Minnie Soda

Soooooooooo I am guessing I should not send Equibrit a WTD beer stein?
    Co-founder of White Trash Dressage (WTD)
    http://www.lulu.com/mavw1971
    also available on Amazon.com
    http://www.cafepress.com/wtdressage

The powers that be who have yet to be named sat down last evening and came up with the following disclaimer:

White Trash Dressage is a state of mind. It does NOT discriminate against skin color (of the rider or horse), size (of the rider or horse), ethnicity (again, of the rider or horse), religion, geographical location, size of bank account, riding ability, or lack of, ability to choose a decent wine, sexual orientation (geldings welcome), fashion sense (or lack of), or ability to use duct tape (novice users welcome). It does, however, discriminate against those without a sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehners2000

Equibrit,
    I have to say I agree. I am trying to understand that this is all in jest...though ....am finding it hard to do so. I don't see how it is possible to publically dis a group of people in the name of a horse competition? I would not tolerate my foster children calling someone white trash, and am frankly quite shocked and sad to see it done in the dressage arena.
    ~Christina Hyke~
    This is one reason the world is getting to be such a sad place. Everyone MUST be ever so PC and they have totally lost their sense of humor about everything.

Clue you guys: most White Trash don't realize they ARE WT, and so therefore are not offended. Ever heard of Jeff Foxworthy? The man has made a living out of "you might be a redneck" jokes and his fan base is mostly -- ahem -- REDNECKS!

So if they can laugh at themselves, you should be able to as well. And, since I live in one of the proud centers of White Trash America (that would be northern Idaho), I feel I can speak with some authority.

Or maybe we could just have a "Uptight Liberal Politically Correct " class. Horses must have a "Save the Whale" bumpersticker on one side of its butt and a "Free Tibet" sticker on the other. Riders must be tastefully dressed in all-natural fibers. Animals competing cannot have been raised on any grains harvested by oppressed farmworkers. Horse should not be forced in anyway to do anything they don't want to do, but instead should be allowed to express it's own individuality in a completely organic way. Extra points if the rider can sing "Kumbaya" while completing the test.

Oooooops double post musta had too many longnecks

Oh my God you have GOT to laugh at a 'sport' that has its athletes dressed in ... drum roll ... top hat and tails! It is hilarious. WTD is the necessary antidote for such fusty upper-crusty seriousness.

Quote Originally Posted by horse_poor
    ... sexual orientation (geldings welcome) ...
    Oh but we are quite sure a mare in squealing squirty heat makes the best and most embarassing WTD mount. ;-)

Cool

So my very ancient Wintec schooling saddle of which both flaps have partially disintegrated & are duct taped, my Winglish bridle, the tie-dyed purplish, bleachy saddle pad, my Dumas w/ half chaps, stained/ripped/saggy breeches & paint spattered/holey t-shirt with a Disney themed batted helmet will suffice then?

The saddle is currently in the throw away pile (hubby keeps not bringing home the dump truck, sigh! and we really need to haul away after the remodeling & spring cleaning), the Winglish bridle is fun for schooling, the saddle pad my middle daughter thought was so dirty she should add bleach to the load so hence the look of it, the Dumas & half chaps I do school in, the breeches are being taken apart by my youngest daughter for a 'pattern' to try to sew some for me as a project by her, the shirt is from all the remodeling and the helmet was cool w/ a retro Mickey Mouse riding a retro horse, but said youngest child & her friend left in on the rail & the horses nearly destroyed it, so it too sits waiting for removal.

So what say you, do I have a good WTD outfit to put together or what?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Life's a bleach and then you dye"
    "Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet." Roger Miller

Cowgirl

Do NOT throw that gear away. If you do not need it, there must be an aspiring young WTD rider somewhere who could use that get up for the championships.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke
    So if they can laugh at themselves, you should be able to as well. And, since I live in one of the proud centers of White Trash America (that would be northern Idaho), I feel I can speak with some authority.
    OMG, do you live near Couer d'Alene? I am so homesick, whah!!!! LOL! Born in Yakima, WA & grew up in Spokane. Sigh, I so miss all the driveup coffee huts and the scary backroads that lead to the scarier white supremecy compounds where they peer at you from beneath furrowed brows whilst holding the rifles cradled to their chests. (Not! Err, well yes, I do miss the coffee huts, just not the scary WS part, lol!)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Babs
    Cowgirl

Do NOT throw that gear away. If you do not need it, there must be an aspiring young WTD rider somewhere who could use that get up for the championships.
    I just asked both my riders (the middle & youngest daughters) if they'd pretty please use said gear if I put together a WTD show & they did this: Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by CowgirlDressage
    helmet was cool w/ a retro Mickey Mouse riding a retro horse, but said youngest child & her friend left in on the rail & the horses nearly destroyed it, so it too sits waiting for removal.
    I commend you for wearing the helmet!! I have the same model, though it is in good shape. It was my son's when he was a sprout. He's 13 now and can't wear it any more, so I do......

It's not meant to make fun of other people - the intention is to poke fun at ourselves! I love and respect dressage, I get all fancied up and compete at both schooling and USDF shows, but I think WTD is a way to take some of the seriousness away! I work very hard at dressage, and it is fundamentally about striving for accuracy and perfection.

However, with all that being said, I (and most of us here) do not embody this seriousness and perfection during my average ride!!! How many times have I been schooling at home on a hot day, asked for a canter depart, and ended up with a perfect ten on my "tranter" instead? Well, I can get upset, or I can laugh about it and try again. How many times have I turned down the centerline (both at home and in shows!) only to lose all engagement and end up with my horse looking like a giraffe somewhere in the general region of X? Countless. And how can we not laugh at a sport which asks us to wear WHITE pants? Most of my clothes are already covered in slobber stains. And in a perfect DQ world, I would simply buy new tack when mine breaks or wears out, but instead, I MacGuyver it back together with what I have on hand (typically baling twine and duct tape).

At the end of the day, no matter if it's been a good ride or a bad ride, I'm still going to drink out of the hose, wipe my nose on my shirt (and possibly my horse's too), unsnap my breeches to let it all hang out, and hopefully crack open a beer. By that point, there's nothing classy, serious, or perfect about me, and most restaurants would turn me away at the door. It's funny because we're laughing at ourselves and the things we do in the lives we have chosen and worked for, not anybody else. Maybe turn the defense meter down a notch.

Quote Originally Posted by MeredithTX
    And how can we not laugh at a sport which asks us to wear WHITE pants?
    Possibly the funniest part of the Serious Upper Crusty Fusty Dressage (SUCFD) get-up. I am guessing they became tradition because middle aged women, which make up the majority of dressage riders look SOOOOOO gooood in white pants. Bwaahaahaha!

Meredith-your post brought a tear to my eye. I shall take my WTD ballcap off and tip it in your direction in honor of such a wonderful post.

Elastic white pants + 40 year old women's backside=cottage cheese!
    (talking about myself here!!)

Quote Originally Posted by CowgirlDressage
    OMG, do you live near Couer d'Alene? I am so homesick, whah!!!! LOL! Born in Yakima, WA & grew up in Spokane. Sigh, I so miss all the driveup coffee huts and the scary backroads that lead to the scarier white supremecy compounds where they peer at you from beneath furrowed brows whilst holding the rifles cradled to their chests. (Not! Err, well yes, I do miss the coffee huts, just not the scary WS part, lol!)
    Inbetween Sandpoint & Coeur D'Alene. You know you are white trash when you have 12 cars in your front yard, live in a mobile home, and the only thing that moves is the trailer!

Yeah, we still have the coffee huts, but most of the White Supremists were run out of town some years ago when a jury of his peers basically took Richard Butler to the cleaners. They were a pretty sad crowd anyway ...lots of hate & zero brains.

But we still have some pretty scary back roads, if that helps...

And people here can do things with duct tape and baling twine that should be winning Nobel Prizes....

This is one reason the world is getting to be such a sad place. Everyone MUST be ever so PC and they have totally lost their sense of humor about everything.

Clue you guys: most White Trash don't realize they ARE WT, and so therefore are not offended. Ever heard of Jeff Foxworthy? The man has made a living out of "you might be a redneck" jokes and his fan base is mostly -- ahem -- REDNECKS!

Or maybe we could just have a "Uptight Liberal Politically Correct " class. Horses must have a "Save the Whale" bumpersticker on one side of its butt and a "Free Tibet" sticker on the other. Riders must be tastefully dressed in all-natural fibers. Animals competing cannot have been raised on any grains harvested by oppressed farmworkers. Horse should not be forced in anyway to do anything they don't want to do, but instead should be allowed to express it's own individuality in a completely organic way. Extra points if the rider can sing "Kumbaya" while completing the test.
    You hit that nail on the head Kyzteke! Ahhh...teh politically correctness of it all, gives you a nice cold, chilling feeling inside, huh?!

I hope those of you mentioning half chaps aren't REALLY planning on wearing half chaps. Any self respecting WTD rider knows that the only way to ride is with polo wraps covering your lower legs. Bonus points if they don't match (black isn't allowed!) and if they haven't been washed since being on the horse's legs.

I was officially "trailer trash" for two years of my life. And yes, that's what I called myself. 'Though I admit, I wasn't quite as trashy as my neighbors....
    Proud member of the draft cross clique!!! Mum to Normandy & Sar.
    http://hometown.aol.com/sarmoniet/index.html

Or maybe we could just have a "Uptight Liberal Politically Correct " class. Horses must have a "Save the Whale" bumpersticker on one side of its butt and a "Free Tibet" sticker on the other. Riders must be tastefully dressed in all-natural fibers. Animals competing cannot have been raised on any grains harvested by oppressed farmworkers.
    I'm in!!! Woohoo, another class just MADE for me! (liberal and humble). BTW, for those of you who didn't see my confession in the off course thread, I'm also certifiably eligible for WTD. I hope that's not too much of a problem for you all to reconcile.

---just another WT Lefty
    The horse, the noblest, bravest, proudest, most courageous, and certainly the most perverse and infuriating animal that humans ever domesticated. - Anne McCaffrey