The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I could win this class with one of the horses I'm schooling for his owners! They don't have an arena, they have very little tack, and it's 38521684354 degrees in Texas right now, so you should see our getup.

I ride him in a very old, very cheap Western saddle that's slightly too small for me, but it fits the horse quite well. The split reins are held together with a purple scrunchie, and I've fashioned a martingale out of his halter and a side rein attached to the girth. It was too hot to wear pants the other day, so I rode in capris with my half chaps on. The horse is very attached to his mini-donkey friend, so Dudley would have to come along, but I suppose I could pony him as long as the extremely frayed purple leadrope holds up.

PS - Do I get extra points for the throw rug that's doubling as my saddle pad?

Land of cold, snow, & bugs, AKA Minnie Soda

I am convinced that the market for glitter horse makeup/hoof polish is intended for WTD. As we say in WTD, BLING IT ON!

I am once again able to speak-quite frightening there for a moment when I was inded without speech, but WTD will do that to you.

The throw rug and impromptu martgingale is fabulous.

Shorts with half chaps is a very nice look as well.
    Co-founder of White Trash Dressage (WTD)
    http://www.lulu.com/mavw1971
    also available on Amazon.com
    http://www.cafepress.com/wtdressage

Ok this is want I have for the prize list. tell me what you think.

Class 9 White Trash Dressage.Class Open ..
    Horses will be mounted and shown in both directions at a walk, trot, and canter .WTD = White Trash Dressage which can actually be translated into some languages as Worst Trained Dressage or Redneck Dressage. The worst dressed horse and rider for dressage. Duct tape, baling twine, slobber stains and mismatched colors encouraged. Please note as bad as you and your horse look you must still be safe. $15.00
    Are you going to cowboy up or lie there and BLEED?

Quote Originally Posted by MuleLady
    I think there should be "Minimal" attire rules for WTD as in, well, MINIMAL. Tube tops should get extra points, especially if the wearer has big boobs AND tattoos.
    Tube tops should be a requirement, not a bonus point getter.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

I love it Eleanor!

Exclamation Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit
    Sad, truly sad. I guess the more things you include, the more people you stand to offend!
    Equibrit,
    I have to say I agree. I am trying to understand that this is all in jest...though ....am finding it hard to do so. I don't see how it is possible to publically dis a group of people in the name of a horse competition? I would not tolerate my foster children calling someone white trash, and am frankly quite shocked and sad to see it done in the dressage arena.
    ~Christina Hyke~
    ~*Ride Far*~Ride Well~*~ The Sky's the Limit~
    www.firstgiving.com/christinahyke

Oh, for heaven's sake. "White trash" is a state of mind. It's not like a group of people with characteristics they cann't help having - like color or gender or ethnicity. I don't see any reason NOT to poke a little fun - and hell, most of those who have made the lifestyle choice to be IN that group would likely laugh the hardest.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehners2000

Equibrit,
    I have to say I agree. I am trying to understand that this is all in jest...though ....am finding it hard to do so. I don't see how it is possible to publically dis a group of people in the name of a horse competition? I would not tolerate my foster children calling someone white trash, and am frankly quite shocked and sad to see it done in the dressage arena.
    ~Christina Hyke~

OK I have to ask what group of people are we publically dis-ing? I don't see any nationality in the words "white trash dressage". But if you can tell me what nationality I am offending then I will be the first to say I am sorry.

Arrow

I have been a Treatment Foster parent for nearly six years, and a mentor for nearly twenty. One of the cheif values I teach is respect for others. I fail to see the term "white trash" as anything other than disrespectful, and demeaning. The term 'white trash' is clearly an insult. I highly doubt you would feel complimented or all warm and fuzzy inside if someone called you 'white trash'.

Maybe, just maybe I am being oversensitive on the term, as I work with many trouble teens that are mainly white, and come from horrid, abusive backgrounds. Many folks at the dressage show will be sporting speciality clothing, that they are blessed to be able to own... Many times (not all) single items of clothing will cost them over $100 or $300.00---How then is it humorous to have a class that mocks people who cannot afford such things?

Would I see such a class at a show, I would never attend that show again.

I fail to see how the term is ment to be anything except an insult, a put down and a way to 'make fun of' a type of person.

I am blessed to own and compete beautiful horses, and would not be part of a show that had a class to mock people who could not afford proper tack or instruction.

I let my 16 year old foster son read part of your thread, he could not believe that you were acctually serious about having such a class. He has been with us for a year, and has learned much about horses, and has a true interest in dressage- imagine his impression of the lot of you- naming a class after a name that he has been most likely called...having been from a poor, single parent home. Most of his sibliings are in jail or have been. He has turned his life around....he is well on his way to being a successful man. Jim & I are so very proud of him. White foster care children are often not only treated like trash by society, they are often called 'white trash', and from my experience in working with them, that is often been so ingrained in them, it is nearly impossible to replace with a healthy self-esteem. Imagine this young man showing one of our horses next year at a show...and watching the parade of "white trash" dressage riders going by, and hearing the announcement of your class, "white trash" . Do you think it will make him feel good to see the women formally dressed in $900 Shad Bellies now sporting flip flops and old, stained shirts? I sense your class is supposed to have the feel of a costume class, though I would suggest a name change, or theme change or both.

The term White Trash has been around forever...originally it was thought of in a negative light, however more recently in movies, books, songs, cookbooks, and even food have based around it, it is brought about in a sense of humor. Many popular TV shows have been based on the "state of mind" of White Trash.

Again, it is a state of mind.

Trakehners2000, I admire you for your work and dedication. I was a youth counselor and came across many children who had a rough start at life. But many of them came from money and experienced the same, if not more, obstacles as their less privileged counterparts.

Concerning WTD, it is simply a state of mind, so to speak, for people who struggle in dressage and their horses who struggle the same. They suck at it sometimes, really. It is an IMAGINARY thing so that we can laugh at our shortcomings instead of beat our head against a wall as we continue to improve. I would much rather say "Ohhhhhhh look, Rothina is river dancing when she canters" and try again tomorrow rather than get pissed and upset and cry "I am NEVER going to get her to do this right."

And chances are, women formally dressed in $900 Shad Bellies will not be participating.

I think the class is a great idea-gives people a chance to participate and show off their horse's "real" dressage less than stellar skills. Oh, and show off a sense of humor.

Sounds to me like it is YOU that has labeled this child as "white trash" not anyone else. It might well be YOU that has the problem, not the posters here.

"White trash" is no different than a label such as "dork" or "computer nerd" or "floozy." So, now if someone holds a "nerd" party, are they then "intentionally denigrating" an entire class of people?

The OP was not talking about holding a "poor people's dressage class." I think you just are way overreacting.

horse poor, we were posting at the same time and I think you said it best.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Good Lord...has everyone's sense of humour fallen out of their respective a$$eS?????????????? I'd LOVE to attend! And, am most certainly "qualified"!!!!!!!!!!

Sonesta,
    Do you really mean that you actually think I would label a child that I care for, take into my home and love as trash? I counsel these kids, I know what they have struggled with, do you? I am telling you that he was as shocked as I about the class title, he did take a look at the post.
    HorsePoor, I agree, it is not the size of the family income that dictates the state of the child. I mentor two boys from a trailer park, and I can tell you that the use of white trash to demean is still there. The boys have told me that they get referred to as 'white trash' and 'trailer park trash'...

I am sorry for starting an argument, Equibrit is not the only one who took it wrong.

~~~Sonesta~~~
    We have too much in common too fight. I am sorry I got off on the wrong foot with you~
    Can we agree to disagree on this one? Maybe, I don't watch enough TV to be up on the latest humor...
    Honestly, we do laugh a lot around here...I just happen to be strict about name calling. Sincerely, sorry I over reacted about the class title. Odviously the majority of folks think it is tongue in cheek humor... going to ride now~
    Last edited by Trakehners2000; Jun. 15, 2006 at 08:29 PM.

I am very distressed by this entire thread. Yes, attire and appearance is important. But it's not everything. So much of WTD is about what you do or don't do in the ring!!! How many of us have been incorrectly attired in white breeches and black coat and boots, but outshine other competitors with a lovely tranter or sproing or leapfartbuck?

Really. You have forgotten what the heart and soul of WTD is all about.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Hmm those of you all getting up in high dudgeon about White Trash well I for one with true WT cred am OK with it - yes, cousins live in a mobile home, yes, Aunt and Uncle serve fried Squirrel, domestic violence is a given - hey it doesn't bother me so why should it bother you?

And BTW for inspiration, watch an episode of My Name is Earl, and then maybe Jerry Springer.

Well I guess I opened up a can of worms. There must be a few out there with a bowl of popcorn and a drink just waiting to see where this goes.

Now I must say the shows that I am putting on are not big shows and the highest dressage class is test 1 first level. These shows are for first time showers and for owners that what to get there young/baby horses out to a few small shows with out paying a arm and a leg. So if someone feels offended by this class then I don't want them at my show. Our last show started at 9:00am and we where done a 2:45pm. Now that was the dressage and the jumping classes. And not one of the riders complained about anything. Heck all but 4 had never shown before. So I guess you could say the whole show was a WTD show and not one person felt they didn't have a right to be there. And I know I would rather be called WTD then a DQ.

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
    I am very distressed by this entire thread. Yes, attire and appearance is important. But it's not everything. So much of WTD is about what you do or don't do in the ring!!! How many of us have been incorrectly attired in white breeches and black coat and boots, but outshine other competitors with a lovely tranter or sproing or leapfartbuck?

Really. You have forgotten what the heart and soul of WTD is all about.
    Truer words were never spoken!
    I'd suggest the test should include at the very least a spook. Sheep or other farm animals causing the spook should earn extra points.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor
    Well I guess I opened up a can of worms. There must be a few out there with a bowl of popcorn and a drink just waiting to see where this goes..
    Good grief, I hope not. There's a ton of stuff out there that's worth getting your panties in a wad about - WTD does not fall into that category. The few, the proud, the mentally deranged, that's what we are! Proponents of humor in dressage, and every day life to help lighten the load and bring smiles to peoples faces.

But, I digress. I have a real and serious question about your prize list! How are you planning to judge the class?? I would suggest giving your competitiors a little more information? Like, 50% of class will be judged on attire, 50% like an equitation or suitability class? Clearly I have no idea how WTD should be judged, but might be nice to explain how class will be judged in prize list.

I am sincerely hoping you willcontact the AWTDA (or whatever they're calling themselves today) to register your GMO for Year End Awards.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Geek, get with the program...it is the USWTDA, formerly known as AWTDA. And YE awards will be held at Chuck's World of Cheese.

Lemme do some thinking on how to judge the class properly. Will refer to my notes.