The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan
    Great! Then get to work!

Hopefully you were not on the list of AQHA members that some weirdo got ahold of and disseminated on the net.

It’s a little like throwing pebbles at a castle wall! They are remarkably like the USDA and are really starting to throw money into lobbying. I think having the largest registry in the world is not good enough for them they want to rule it. They are involved in immigration now. I still have no idea how they made that leap.

Many members and breeders that dislike AQHA rule changes regarding the breed standards have resorted to new registries. Just to inform any one interested here is a list of some of the foundation registries.

http://www.fqha.com/
    http://www.fqhrregistry.com/enter.htm
    http://www.nfqha.com/

From http://www.nfqha.com/certification.html :
    “When Robert Denhardt formed AQHA in the early forties it was to preserve the bulldog type horse commonly referred to in those days as Steeldusts, or Bulldogs. These horses exhibited the unique traits of a low center of gravity (length of legs not exceeding the depth of the heart girth), exceptionally heavy muscling, powerful hindquarters, deep ‘V’ between the forelegs, good bone and foot, a quiet trainable disposition, and a high degree of intelligence and natural cow sense. These traits combined to set apart the “Bulldog” as a unique individual easily distinguished from other equine breeds
    The modern American Quarter Horse may carry anywhere from 100% blood decended from those original Bulldog and Steeldust Quarter Horses, or as little as 10%. It is the goal and purpose of NFQHA to recognize modern American Quarter Horses that carry 80% and greater Original Quarter Horse Blood and exhibit the original breed characteristics. And to also encourage breeders to "Breed the Quarter Horse back into the Quarter Horse".”
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

In fairness - I can see how you'd find that a bit ironic. And I agree that a mare should prove herself before breeding. My mare did in fact go back to her previous owner, was resold, and ended up being a broodmare producing 20K babies. I think she had a good life and was treated quite well but I don't know if she's still alive.

Guess I lost out on a money maker. But I just didn't know enough about the subject to feel comfortable getting into breeding.

But that's neither here nor there - to be fair I can see how you would read that and think WTF?

And as an aside - the QH is my favorite breed. Good for you for being involved. I just have mutts in my barn - don't belong to the AQHA though one of the mutts is an Appendix. I think. Who knows....

Quote Originally Posted by MSP
    I agree, but I felt it is more of a promotion to become a breeder. If I was a novice looking to get into breeding I would seek out help from people and books. To be on Blood-horse’s mailing list and receive an email at that time was ironic to me. There is just too much of a get rich quick attitude associated with breeding, I think it is a problem. Not every horse needs to be bred nor should.

I think a mare should work for a living. They should not only have good blood lines but prove themselves as performance horses, or racing or something! I hate the whole concept of a broodmare.

There is just too much of a get rich quick attitude associated with breeding, I think it is a problem. Not every horse needs to be bred nor should.
    This is a good point MSP; it reminds me of gambling or day trading on the stock market. What are your ideas for mitigating this?
    "There's something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man" ~ Sir Winston Churchill

I don't know, but to me it seems the *get rich Quick* idea stems more from jubilant resluts as yet another colt broke all record as highest selling horse ever...the 1000$ nags are rarely ever mentioned...so educating the newbies about breeding is only the right thing to do...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda
    The idea that an excuse to keep slaughter legal is so that those who can not afford to provide end of life care to the horses they own is also incredibly impalateable to me. Every horse owner should have an emergency fund for the situation where the horse is no longer viable.
    That's true, people SHOULD have such an account or the ability to borrow money for assistance in a time of need. BUT the fact is, a lot of people don't and they aren't going to. Eliminating slaughter as an outlet for them isn't going to change that. They're just going to be screaming that someone (normally a rescue) needs to take their horses when they can no longer take care of them. What happens if a rescue isn't available?

Quote Originally Posted by MandyVA
    When they can't get that $300 for them, they can donate them to a rescue or humanely euthanize them. Right now they don't choose those options because they don't have to. And yes some people will neglect horses. Just like they do now while slaughter is legal.

One of the reasons rescues can't accommodate all of the unwanted horses right now is because they have to bid against kill buyers to buy them.
    Since when did it become the responsibility of the rescues to take in everyone's unwanted horse?

Many rescues, including the one I run, rarely (if ever) take in "donated" horses. Why? Because we (and others) stay full with neglect cases. We turn down probably 10-20 donated horses -each month- (some months are more), because there's just "no room at the inn". When slaughter ends (and I believe it is 'when', not 'if'), there won't be much our organization can do to help those horses mentioned above.

Someone else said all horse owners can afford to donate to rescues and probably even foster/adopt. How many people here do foster for a rescue currently? Have adopted a rescue horse? Make regular donations to a rescue? Or spend hours each week donating to a rescue? It isn't that many... SOME horse owners will donate, even if they can't really spare the money. SOME will foster. SOME will adopt. But I talk to a lot of people each day who own horses and claim to love them who cannot or will not donate, foster, adopt or volunteer..

5. The option of rendering equine carcasses is decreasing. Private-land burial and disposal in landfills have a negative impact on the environment.

The availability of rendering services is directly related to the market available for the service. It’s the law of supply and demand. IF you live in a high horse-density area, the service is available, and the availability will increase if demand increases. It’s not a function issue, it’s a profit issue.

'Fraid not. I live in a horse-dense area (estimated 200,000 horses in the Greater Houston area). Can't find a rendering plant (if someone in this area knows of one, I would honestly like to know). I have foster homes throughout the state of Texas (Texas has the largest # of horses in any state, according to a recent survey), but do you know there are precious few rendering plants? When I lived in College Station, horses who were not euthanized at A&M (and they would only euthanize if you were a current client) and who could not be buried on someone's land were sent to the local landfill. That disgusted some people.. but what options were there?

I would like to see a LOT MORE rendering plants ... it would make life much easier on horse owners who don't have options for burial.

Second, the AAEP is not the organizer of the Unwanted Horse Summit; they are just participating as is other groups.
    Are you certain about that? The AAEP is the one who sent out invitations, they're the ones who invited me, Dr. Grandin, and others to speak at the educational session before the Summit began, etc.

In fact, when they called me they told me they were organizing it.

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn
    Are you certain about that? The AAEP is the one who sent out invitations, they're the ones who invited me, Dr. Grandin, and others to speak at the educational session before the Summit began, etc.

In fact, when they called me they told me they were organizing it.
    Sorry, you are right they did coordinate. The press releases I get from theHorse.com mention that at the very bottom. They are so careful to word the articles that the coalition is about groups working together I never got the sense that they were even coordinating it.

Since you participated; did they agree not to discuss slaughter? I understand that there are groups from both sides of this issue participating. Seeing how slaughter discussions go here I can’t imagine getting much done unless they don’t discuss it.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

The availability of rendering services is directly related to the market available for the service. It’s the law of supply and demand. IF you live in a high horse-density area, the service is available, and the availability will increase if demand increases. It’s not a function issue, it’s a profit issue.

Not entirely.

I don't think there is much relationship between number of rendering facilities and horse population, since picking up euthanized horses is a small part of the business.

In addition, we received a letter from our renderer several months ago to this effect: New proposed BSE prevention regulations concerning the handling of any carcass of any species, if passed, are going to dramatically raise their costs. This, in turn, would cause them to either 1.) dramatically raise the price of a "pickup" (Its $250 now) or 2.) discontinue pickup service to non-commercial individuals altogether.

In our area, burial is legal so we have that as another option, but not everyone does.

Since you participated; did they agree not to discuss slaughter? I understand that there are groups from both sides of this issue participating. Seeing how slaughter discussions go here I can’t imagine getting much done unless they don’t discuss it.
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was a speaker in the educational session but not a participant in the discussion/work-session afterwards (my main achievement there was that I got them to include at least one rescue for that viewpoint).

During the educational session, slaughter was discussed. The papers presented are at http://www.aaep.org/press_room.php?term=2005&id=192 - Dr. Stull (of UC Davis) discussed what has happened in CA since slaughter was banned (mostly conjecture/anecdotal since no pre-ban and post-ban numbers were really taken). Dr. Nat Messer discussed "The Plight of the Unwanted Horse" and included a lot of numbers and figures - such as options for disposal, costs of those options, definition of unwanted horse, and more. Dr. Grandin (who was discussed in this thread or another similar one) discussed equine slaughter. And then Dr. Cordes of USDA discussed transport to slaughter. So really, slaughter was discussed by everyone but me (I think!). I discussed rescues - what we do, where our horses come from, how people can select 'good' versus 'bad' rescues, etc.

Some of the rabidly anti-slaughter crowd don't like me/my presentation because I say that the rescues just cannot handle the number of horses who currently go to slaughter. I'll stand by that statement, too. It doesn't mean I want slaughter to continue, it just means I think we need to focus some energy on solutions.

Although I did not get any questions during the Q&A session, I did have people come up and talk to me afterwards and later that evening when I was out with the AQHA and Palomino breeders people. A lot of people really do think slaughter -will- end, and they -do- want to prepare for it. They -want- the horses to be safe and cared for.

I have met very few people (although there are some!) who say that no matter what, they want slaughter to continue. A few people out there say that it is their right to slaughter their horses if they want and that they're all-out opposed to any sort of ban. MOST people I've talked to say they want to see slaughter ended, but only when there are plans in place on how to deal with the horses whose owners no longer want to keep them.