The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Ask the COTH members to vote for you, and you will probably win (I posted a plea for votes literally in the 12th hour of a photo contest and came in 2nd place out of 4,000 entries and won a hundred bucks!).
    I really appreciated that, BTW!

I've aslo learned that I SUCK at getting my message across through the written word so I try to stay nuetral and leave the real message pounding to the many, many experts here. If I wait long enough in most threads, eventually some eloquent soul will come along with my viewpoint! I appreciate that too .

I love the fact that there have been countless times where I see a post and think, "Why didn't I think to ask that before?" It's great to have people ask questions you didn't even know you wanted (or needed ) to know!

I'd like to know the trick to such mind reading!

I do talk about COTH as if I know everyone and if I'm friends with everyone. No one understands this and I get made fun of. They just haven't experienced (for better or worse) such a BB as this one!

I have learned that the collective power of COTH can get anything, no matter how improbable it seems, done. COTH is a force to be reckoned with!

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura
    * Some folks just never learn to do a search before posting a topic that has been hashed over a million times already .
    I have learned that...

- Just about every topic and issue and every angle regarding every horsey matter has been discussed on COTH at some time or other.

- Nice people come here to discuss their specific issue or their immediate concern and would like to dialogue with other nice, helpful people directly.

- Reading over old threads is helpful and informative, but we all come here to discuss issues, interact, and get support. Not just to read a library of old threads about some visible person's similar issues.

- If someone takes the energy and courage to start a thread about a topic, it matters to them and they would like to discuss it.

- There actually is a nice way to let someone know there are also informative threads archived, in addition to their discussion. And nice people can do it in a way that it doesn't kill the thread.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

I agree about watching threads derail! Great fun!

* If your horse is "off", it could be EPSSM.
    * Hoof related topics are volatile
    * Slaughter/horse rescue topics too
    * NH, need I say more?
    * And OMG lets not forget the "my discipline is better than yours" folks
    * How much COTHers really care about their horses, even when we disagree about the small stuff.
    * The time spent by COTHers helping other COTHers, even if it's just an email saying "Hi, I was thinking about you."

Most importantly, I know I've gotten great advice from COTH and I hope others have too. It's great knowing I can post a question about a product, and get answers from people who've used it/board at a farm where a friend used it/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzrider
    I have learned that...

- Just about every topic and issue and every angle regarding every horsey matter has been discussed on COTH at some time or other.

- Nice people come here to discuss their specific issue or their immediate concern and would like to dialogue with other nice, helpful people directly.

- Reading over old threads is helpful and informative, but we all come here to discuss issues, interact, and get support. Not just to read a library of old threads about some visible person's similar issues.

- If someone takes the energy and courage to start a thread about a topic, it matters to them and they would like to discuss it.

- There actually is a nice way to let someone know there are also informative threads archived, in addition to their discussion. And nice people can do it in a way that it doesn't kill the thread.
    Agreed. If my horse were suffering from some strange poison, I just don't feel like scrambling for small posts in old threads. And of course I would have called the vet; I was looking for support or info that just isn't very visible. Not to mention, I've had much trouble out of the new search button. Anyone else?

I have learned that Rhubarb sticks are far superior to Kholrhabi sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Appassionato
    Not to mention, I've had much trouble out of the new search button. Anyone else?
    Absolutely! It seems to give you everything as a result now -- not helpful at all. Unless I can remember a word in the title of the thread (searching on titles only is definately better), I don't bother with it anymore...
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

* I have learned that NO MATTER what I post someone is going to get their panties in a wad in some way or another.

There is a difference between having to wade through the archives and starting a topic AGAIN that was just discussed to DEATH last week.

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

i learned how to do button braids for dressage!!!

i've learned so much about general horsecare - i consider myself lucky to have such a fabulous resource.

i've learned that i'm not the only invisible person.

i've learned that there are suppotrive people where you least expect them.

i've learned that usually when i have a strong opinion about something, i'm usually not the only one.
    My Mustang Adventures - my blog!
    Yoga for Equestrians
    "A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Land of cold, snow, & bugs, AKA Minnie Soda

I have learned that I am not the only person that rides WTD.

YAY!
    Co-founder of White Trash Dressage (WTD)
    http://www.lulu.com/mavw1971
    also available on Amazon.com
    http://www.cafepress.com/wtdressage

That any topic can be funny

That no matter where you live, the COTH support network is there for you.

That jingles really do work.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Appassionato
    I agree about watching threads derail! Great fun!

* If your horse is "off", it could be EPSSM.
    * Hoof related topics are volatile
    * Slaughter/horse rescue topics too
    * NH, need I say more?
    * And OMG lets not forget the "my discipline is better than yours" folks
    * How much COTHers really care about their horses, even when we disagree about the small stuff.
    * The time spent by COTHers helping other COTHers, even if it's just an email saying "Hi, I was thinking about you."

Most importantly, I know I've gotten great advice from COTH and I hope others have too. It's great knowing I can post a question about a product, and get answers from people who've used it/board at a farm where a friend used it/etc.
    OH- I forgot that one- Like 99.9% of all horses that are "off" have EPSSM

I have learned or relearned:

That I don't write as well as I wished that I did.

You can usually learn things faster here than from the officials.

It's a small horse world and what happens in one place doesn't necessarily stay in the place.

Often by necessity, things are done differently in different parts of the country and world and many think that they do it the one and only right way.
    Justice will only be achieved when those who are not injured by crime feel as indignant as those who are. - King Soloman (970-928 B.C.)

*Try not to post or start a thread when you are drinking, you will regret it when you read it the next day!
    *Barefoot VS Shod threads spark major controversies...
    *If you post a picture of yourself on your horse, be prepared for criticism (why I havent posted one of myself)
    *There are a couple of Nasty people who are consistant with their negative comments, dont let them deter you from asking questions!

Wink Whoa...page 2...

• Legos are easier to bling than Asians
    • Madonna has gone NH with Pat
    • Parelli, Ga-whiney, Lyons, Nevzarova and that lot are really fun to ridicule.
    • Eggplant sticks are better than Rhubarb sticks
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

Default Another thing....

I've learned that a LOT of people are scared *$%&less to move their horse from a bad situation. Ditto on abusive trainers. There seem to be a lot of people who need to stand up for their horses and themselves and tell the BO/BNT or whatever to shove it and get themselves into a better situation.
    Founder of the Olde Farte Clique

If you need a bra, no matter what size, to protect yourself from your killer tata's just ask, someone will provide a link.

Where else could one find info on a condition called monkey butt, and find there is a concoction to prevent it??
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

• There IS such a thing as a red duct tape dress
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night