The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Welcome, LoneWolf13. If your horse is beautiful to you, you won't find anyone to rain on your parade in this thread!

I feel really sorry for you for your commute--traffic is bad enough in Northern Virginia for the locals!

Hello, all. I live in Toronto and ride in Schomberg, ON, about an hour north of where I live. I lease an OTTB who was injured due to a fencing accident, and in the meantime am working with a green QH/SB mix who is the most amazing little horse I have ever known. He can get out of every stable door, every pasture, every halter, every fly mask, and every blanket, and he can relieve all of the other horses of these burdens too. His neck was put on backwards and his head is way too big for his body, but he is going to be such a great horse (he might be a pony, actually--we haven't sticked him). And on Saturday I will ride the injured OTTB for the first time in months!

Hey LoneWolf13! Like Farrier's Daughter said, if you're happy and proud of your horse, everyone will be happy for you. I posted cell phone pictures of my new horse, taken on the meat buyers lot where I got him from. He's not in the best of shape, but everyone was so sweet and happy for me and all said wonderful things about him (by the way, I'm picking him up on Saturday!!! i'm soooooooooooo excited!!! )

Hi Mayhew!! You live about an hour east from where I used to live in Cambridge. I hope everything goes well for your ride on your OTTB . You're QH/SB sounds like an amazing little horse. Must be tough to have to drive an hour to ride. I couldn't imagine. I feel so lucky that my DH agreed to by an acreage for me to keep my horses on (and to live on of course ).
    "Riding: the art of keeping a horse between yourself and the ground."

~Horsebiters Clique Founder~Drafties~The A Team~Anti-Kohlrahbi Proliferation Group~Elite Closet Canterer...by proxy~

Hi all......Are there any Incredible Invisibles in the Miami/South Florida area...

With all of the heat, humidity, rain, lightening, and hurricane season I hope that all of the horseys are okay...

Quote Originally Posted by Need4speed

Hi Mayhew!! You live about an hour east from where I used to live in Cambridge. I hope everything goes well for your ride on your OTTB . You're QH/SB sounds like an amazing little horse. Must be tough to have to drive an hour to ride. I couldn't imagine. I feel so lucky that my DH agreed to by an acreage for me to keep my horses on (and to live on of course ).
    That is our ultimate plan--hubby also rides now. The price of land anywhere near the city is shocking, though!

Quote Originally Posted by mayhew
    That is our ultimate plan--hubby also rides now. The price of land anywhere near the city is shocking, though!
    Which is why we moved to Alberta . Prices anywhere near the major centers, now though, are approaching Toronto prices too...
    "Riding: the art of keeping a horse between yourself and the ground."

~Horsebiters Clique Founder~Drafties~The A Team~Anti-Kohlrahbi Proliferation Group~Elite Closet Canterer...by proxy~

Yay! More invisibles! And some Canucks too!

I finally got my first lesson in a month yesterday! So nice to be back jumping, even though we had our share of mistakes. I was a bit frusterated about a few things ("I just had this, why did it go go away?") but still had fun though things were much less that perfect.
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

Default Won't.let.this.

thread.die.....

Even tho' that most Bumpass of threads is taking all the spotlight!

Great show so far. Reserve in 12-14 and Children's yesterday. Nothing in 12-14 today (missed the flat and jumping didn't go so well) but Champion in Children's. She fell off yesterday on the way to the barn - silly accident. She's tough and OK, though. Just mostly melodramatic.

Tomorrow is another day. Hot like an oven here. See you guys....don't.let.it.die.
    Ride like you mean it.

Playing Games, I grew up in Miami but live in Ft. Lauderdale now. Keep my horse in Davie. I get so worried in this weather but luckily I board him at my friend's house and she's wonderful about making sure they are safely tucked into their stalls when the weather turns bad. I started riding in Miami wow, about 28 years ago at Country Gentlemen out in the Redlands. I am sure that place is long gone.
    If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my cats.

Wink New Invisible!

Hi All!

I'm new to the BB this week and have sure enjoyed reading all the posts! You gals are terrific...which is just about the FIRST requirement of being an incredible invisible is it not?

I'm almost 54 and have been riding since I was about 5, but had a "withdrawal period due to career" for about 20 years in the middle of it all. So, about six years ago I began to "re-ride" when my lifelong dream came true of owning my own horse (what a way to experience the mid-life crisis...by celebrating your first owned horse!). (Previously I had done the I'll-ride-anything-with-a-mane-and-tail" in various hunter/jumper shows aka the circuit, and did some field hunting and pony-trekking).

My first horse dream boy is a registered QH, but he actually looks more like an Appendix as he's from a racing line of QH's (down from Joe Hancock). Recently, I adopted an awesome OTTB Hunter who also has some dressage skills and he's absolutely great! Such a calm and sweet boy...a friend calls him "Ghandi In Horseshoes" because he's got this other-worldly demeanor! Both of my boys are dark bays and 16 hands...actually almost look like twins at first glance! I tried Western, but it just didn't take with me, and so I'm back to English and focusing on some dressage (and with my skills in dressage it's really WTD!!), and mostly Hunt Seat and a little trailing.

I lease a home from a dear friend and we share a barn and an arena (I'm the "barn manager" as he's a novice with horses---but learning fast!)...my friend has a young,green mini gelding that I have been training to do various "at liberty" things (a great adventure and learning lesson for me!) and he also is a bay horse! Dunno what it is with the bay horses...just worked out that way! Love them ALL! I am still stunned that not only did I actually get to own a horse, I have TWO and a HALF now! PINCH ME!!

DH likes horses but has a very bad back and so will not ride, but is quite supportive of my Horse Addiction. He's an engineering/techi type and has fixed, designed and solved SO many problems for me that I know our barn is REALLY managed by HIM! DH and I will be married 27 years this summer...this seems amazing as neither of us feels our age or can believe we've been together (through hell and high water literally) this long, but we're still havin' fun!

Other members of the family include an apricot toy poodle who thinks she's a Belgian Malinois guard dog and a cockatiel hen who actually runs the show and everyone here.

Anyway, so glad to share my invisibility and experience this BB with you all!

Default I'm baaaaack!

Today Eq didn't go so well (off course for Chrissakes), but Champion in Children's.

What are you guys doing for the 4th? We're going to our friend's lakehouse (I think). There will probably be fireworks. I just hope there aren't too many booms and shrieks and whistles at the barn!
    Ride like you mean it.

OK lunatic...I'll play and keep the thread going.

I'm almost, eeek, 39, I've been riding since I was 8. I did the horsey stuff professionally from 18-26 (polo grooming, teaching lessons, had a boarding barn, did a lot of hauling, etc.) and then admitted I was never going to get ahead (yay, made $500 at a show, oops, truck exploded on way home, $1000) and went to college.

I moved around quite a bit, Wisconsin to Chicago to Toronto to Los Angeles and stopped riding for the most part for 7 years. I quit in 1995, rode for a few months regularly in '97 and then didn't ride until 2003 when I decided to go out and look at a horse for lease. He was so emaciated that I leased him on the spot just so that I could feed him. I started rehabbing him, bought him, and then looked for a better barn to move him to than the one he was at. Ironically, without trying at all, I found the polo barn here and the same day I looked at the barn, I was back at polo and working again.

Since then I've been trying desperately to figure out where I left (a) my balance and (b) my guts. I am currently at a weird point where I will hop on rescued horses we know nothing about bareback in the round pen, but am intimidated of riding in the open or even in very large arenas. I can still ride one and pony two at all gaits, I can get on my rescued mare who trots off mid-mount, but the slightest buck especially in the open and I just want to stop and/or get off. Mentally I still know that the proper response to bucking is to push them forward so they have to gallop and not buck, but I can't make myself do it anymore. I get dizzy very easily if they do things quickly that I'm not expecting. I've simply become a total weenie. *sigh*

I have a 26 year old Thoroughbred mare that I've had for 21 years (aka The Longest Relationship In My Life) and a 27 year old Thoroughbred mare that I've had for 18 years - they are also known collectively as The Reason I Can't Afford A Car Payment. I also have an 18 year old rescued Appendix mare who is too big for my tastes, at least 50% blind and not suited for any discipline I'm actually interested in doing, but who I bought off the Internet because she wiggles her lips when you scratch her neck. See, you too can spend 31 years with horses and make buying decisions like me! (On the plus side, she's sound and has a lovely sitting trot!)

In my nonhorsey life, such as there is of it, I work in legal and business affairs for a film school in Los Angeles, foster Siamese cats for SoCal Siamese Rescue and foster senior cats because I like to. I spend a great deal of time contemplating getting back into horses full time and then reminding myself that (a) I don't ride that well anymore and (b) cleaning three stalls makes me tired now, and therefore I must continue sitting in an office all day to support my three princesses, who live far better than I do.

Is there a Part II Invisibles that I haven't found? Tres invisible!

Catknsn, you're just a baby yet at 39! The best years of your life are ahead of you, albeit it's the last half.

I was bemoaning being middle-aged, when a friend of mine said I couldn't possibly be, since he thought it started around age 55. I said, "Yeah? 55 huh? How many 110 y/o people do you know?" Kinda made him stop and think about it.

Marique, we haven't had a chance to start another thread. I imagine that'll happen when the $500.00 WTF thread dies down. However, with the unmitigated success of that thread, A.P. can no longer consider herself an II.
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Am I missing another thread or does this just need bumping?
    Member of Book Worms Clique and proud member of INCREDIBLE INVISIBLES.
    Mr Wigglebottom 1999-2010. Once in a lifetime cat. Much loved, much missed.