The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

My superpowers are the ability to know, without being told, that my horses like TREATS!!! Are you suitably impressed?!

I also have the inate (or is that inane) ability to trip over the same barn cat 54 times while I'm trying to fill water buckets. I do believe he thinks I'll forget to feed him if he doesn't wind around my legs and MEEEOOOWWW at the top of his lungs.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ
    I notice that there are some visible people lurking on our thread. Is that good or bad? Aren't they worried that it's contagious?
    Who? Where? I think if they can't see us, then we can't see them.

MoonRiver -- You're scratch sounds scratchier than my scratch! Lucky for me the wizard just dropped my house down onto an old cow pasture. The only thing that seems to be popping up in my pastures are rocks and golf balls!

Oh, and aside from turning red at just about everything, my superpower is that I can sleep just about anywhere -- even on horseback (yes, I really have).
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

A visible horse? Like the ones with the skeleton and musvles painted on? Cool!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Quote Originally Posted by moonriverfarm
    We are protected by our invisible-ness. (Is that a word?)
    Invisible-ility.

Did anyone hear something?
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzrider
    Did anyone hear something?
    NOPE, not a thing!
    Jessi Pizzurro ~~ Pennyroyal Stables
    Racehorses, OTTBs ~~ 330 383 1281
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. -- John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn trails
    What kind of historical fiction? Read "The Alienist" Great book. Historical and a mystery.
    I enjoyed "The Alienist", but not the author's second book (can't remember the name). I go farther back for most of my historical fiction - Judith Tarr is one of my fav authors for her Mesopotanian - Egyptian - Holy Roman Empire - Middle Ages books. Sometimes with a dose of fantasy mixed in alongside the history. Well researched and great fun.
    middle-aged, chunky, and non-competitive

Oooh, have you read Alexander of Macedon? Great read, although not fiction, it is historical. I'm such a nerd, I especially loffed the diagrams of the battle plans he used.

Who or what is the Alienist about? Intrigued I am....

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
    Yes I think that is a contributing factor to his longevity. Diagnosis was never a challenge.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

The Alienist is set in 1896 NYC and tells about a psychologist's hunt for a serial killer ("alienist" is an old-fashioned word for someone who treats the mentally ill). Caleb Carr is the author. Warning - this is a book about a serial killer, and they describe the victims. It's not gratuitous, but also not for the faint-hearted!

I have not yet read "Alexander of Macedon", but will look for it.

Judith Tarr's book about Alexander is "Lord of the Two Lands" and I highly recommend it. I would suggest reading her book about Cleopatra first ("Throne of Isis") - they're not a sequence, but I think "Throne" is a better introduction to her writing style.

Warning - in the novels, Tarr treats the Egyptian pantheon of gods as quite real. If you are likely to find this offensive, skip the books. Also, there is a love story in each (well, two in "Throne") and the characters do get physical. I think it's very well done, but if that sort of thing bothers you, skip the books.
    middle-aged, chunky, and non-competitive

Default I prefer visibly-challenged...

I guess I must confess that I am not completely invisible... I'm just fazing in between dimensions...

Anywho... I have one minature dachshund rescue, a Maremma rescue, 5 cats, 1 betta, 5 horses and a partrige in a pair tree....oh sorry, where was I?

Of my five horses, 3 are Tennessee Walkers (2 2yr olds, and a yearling) and two Percheron, hackney crosses (one yearling, and a 9 year old)

I have an absolute darling 6 year old daughter, who is going to her first riding lesson on Monday , a wonderful hubby who supports my horsey habit by building fences, roundpens, mangers and stalls, and is trying really hard to learn how to act around horses.

I work on a horse ranch, doing alot of everything including mucking, halter breaking, breaking teams to drive, planting stuff (not so much fun ), cattle drives, etc.

I ride both english and western. English from my youth, Western now, more for practicality because I ride at work, herding cows and horses.

NEXT
    "Riding: the art of keeping a horse between yourself and the ground."

~Horsebiters Clique Founder~Drafties~The A Team~Anti-Kohlrahbi Proliferation Group~Elite Closet Canterer...by proxy~

*GRINS* I'm invisible!

Superhuman stats:
    I am 19 and am heading into my second year at R-MWC. My horse, Hop, is a 16 y/o chestnut TB gelding I've had for five and half years and his birthday is the same as Secretariat's. He's my baby and to everyone who said he could never jump 2'6", I bite my thumb at you. In reality, I hate Shakespeare. We are wannabe hunter/eq competitors, but in secret we event (shhh...don't tell my instructors!) I want to major in Bio and Psych and work in animal behavior. I also have a border collie, Apache, and four cats, all of which are barn rescues (well, the dog is a rescue, but not from a barn). Oh, and I was in the Washington Post for taking my horse to college last year.

I love to read books (I've been in a Vonnegut mood for awhile and am re-reading Breakfast of Champions), read COTH, and RIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
    yes, but can you see through the musvles of his right hind foreleg???

Just poking fun at 'cha DGRH. I have no business pointing out either errors in spelling or grammar or syntax for that matter. It just made me giggle.

So what exactly makes one "invisible" on COTH? Isn't that a job for the Mod-squad?? Imposing exhile and invisibility at the flick of a button?
    =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    ~Jilltx~

Purely, nah, I'm pretty liberal when it comes to sex, alternate lifestyles, and violence in novels, as long as they're important to the storylines and not just gratuitously thrown in.

As far as different gods and goddesses, again not gonna get my panties in a wad over it.

Hey, I may be a Pentecostal Christian, but I'm FAR from being narrow minded and bigoted. Which is almost completely anaethema to the whole Pentecostal thing, but I'll live with the contradictions!

I may have already read the Judith Tarr novels. They sound awfully familiar. I'll check 'em out though, to make sure. I'll also look for The Alienist. Sounds like my kind of book.

"I see invisible people."

OK, since I can see ya'll, I'm curious to know what makes you all so invisible? And do I qualify???

None of the "popular" posters knows or likes us, sniff. They don't answer when we post, and generally ignore us, like all the cool kids in high school. I still have emotional scars......

That's what makes us invisible.

Can I play?

I'm 28, been married for one year to a hubby that claims to not like horses but really I think he is just afraid to express any interest lest I get the bright idea to actually buy one. He is quite interested in horse racing, however, and plays Gallop Racer constantly. It is his way of "relating" I supposed.

I am mom to two german shepherds (bestest dogs of all time) and two cats who rule the roost. See my Webshots for oodles of pictures.

I have been riding since I was 4, grew up focusing on EQ mostly but not doing a lot of showing until highschool when I talked my friend into letting me ride her Tennessee Walker in the local jumper classes. Yes, you read that right...I showed a TW in the jumpers. People actually came early just to watch our classes because it was such a novelty. We actually were second in the year end points...that horse would jump anything.

And thus began my love of the jumper ring. Then I went off to college in order to ride (don't ask, it made sense at the time), did IHSA, went to Nationals, blah blah blah....realized that perhaps I should pick a *real* career and transfered back home to go to Ga Tech and study architecture. Thus began my 7 year break from riding.

Got back in the saddle almost a year ago, started out helping to retrain OTTBs and fell in love with them. Am now leasing one (the closest I have ever come to owning my own horse and I LOVE it).

Hubby swears that once we get out of debt I can get my own. Only time will tell....
    Proud member of the \"A\" Team and the \"Hubby won\'t let me have horses\" Clique
    http://community.webshots.com/user/Jeepgirl_311

Can I join in?

I'm 16, soon to be finishing my sophomore year of high school, and I live in Vermont.

I've been riding since I was about eight, I started out at one barn and rode there for about three or four years before I decided I wanted to focus more on jumping, showing, and all the hunter/jumper stuff so I moved to a different barn when I was about 11 or 12.

I currently don't have a horse - I had a pony, but we lost her to colic just recently on May 23. But another pony, Prism, has been offered to me by one of the other boarders, she came for me to start trying on Tuesday, but she's lame today. I may decide to just ride Prism for fun, and then show my trainer's schoolie, Stealth, because I've been told I look really good on him, and if I rode him I could start moving up to 2'9 stuff and potentially 3'.

...That's about it about me, I guess...

Yesterday I didn't think I was invisible, but I just moved into my new office at work, and I'm the only one down in this area, so today I'm feeling quite invisible since people keep forgetting I'm here!

Anyway, I'm a few weeks away from turning 24 and just over two months away from marrying Mr. MeredithTX who is non-horsey, but has already resigned himself to the fact that we will be living on a farmette with horses as soon as we can afford it. I have been riding for 15 years and have dabbled in the hunters & eq, barrel racing, eventing, and I've been concentrating on just dressage the past year and a half. After the wedding though, I plan on taking some jumping lessons because I will be starting to work with a nice hunter prospect.

I've actually never owned my own horse, but I've gotten pretty dang good at catch riding, plus I have a handful of people who pay me to work with their greenies and problem horses and give the occasional lessons. Right now I am showing my friend's Andalusian stallion in lower-level dressage. She's a breeder and doesn't show much, I love to show but don't have a horse, and it works out great!

By day, I am a physician scheduler for a company who staffs and manages the doctors for several Emergency Rooms across the state. By evening and weekend, I am a horse trainer/laundry-doer/avid reader/wrangler of one very smart little mutt and one very stupid doberman. I would like my superpower to be teleportation because then I would get a LOT more sleep!

Oh wow, so *that's* why I feel so ignored! I guess I am an Invisible too... dang, it's just like HS again

OK, so here I go with an intro (poet, natch!)

I'm a 33 year old, divorced (and now engaged) mother to 2 humans: Jesse and Sasha.

I'm owned by a non-fetching or catching Border Collie (Humane Society), a wanna-be-alpha-female-but-not Border Collie x Spaniel (roadside pick-up), the world's most laid-back Siamese cat (Humane Society), a fat, lazy, natural born eunich DSH cat (freebie Walmart kitten), a crooked-faced, snaggle-toothed DMH cat (stray who was shot in the jaw!), a pony scaled and shaped grade TWH mare (freebie because of abuse issues), and a non-standard colored Standardbred mare (freebie because of owner's health) *whew* So I have a houseful! Obviously, I am into animal rescue and sometimes have fosters, but these guys know I'm theirs

I have several jobs: security, TB farm worker, and model horse artist, as well as being an adult college student studying Graphic Design!

I ride my horses in Australian tack, and only trail ride. I decided early on that showing was too much like work! I know a bit about alot and am a jack of all trades when it comes to equines. I've ridden western, h/j/d, I've ridden TWHs and RMHs, I've foaled Thoroughbreds, Saddlebreds, and Hackney ponies. I was once accepted as a working student to one of the Lipizanner shows but didn't go (oh what could have been!) I can harness up a Standardbred or tack up a Thoroughbred, and may soon learn to drive carriages!

I harbor a secret desire to get back to the French Quarter and hope that when I finally do, it will be just like it was pre-Katrina I paint and show plastic horses! I read alot, and spend too much time on the internet (another COTH addiction- it's like CRACK, man!) I love food, but I hate to cook...

'nuff said