The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

My super power...hmmm....that would be my ability to create a gourmet meal in three minutes for my hubby every night, by opening a new Stouffer's creation and hiding the box in the bottom of the trash.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

Hi! I'm 17, I own an 8 QH mare and a yearling Haflinger gelding. I have been riding for about five years now, I bought my mare 3 years ago, right before my sophmore year of high school. She was green broke and I was a green rider, not a pretty pair until i started to catch on and really ride. i mainly ride her western, i did take english jumping lessons for a couple of months, so I am starting to really work on that with her. I have more or less trained her from the ground up, when I bought her she understood the VERY basics; kick means go, pull back means stop. I've got her now to where she will walk trot canter and gallop plus stop from any of those gaits. she also backs, side passes, and I'm teaching her now to piviot and rollbacks. Shes a good girl, right now i take her to a few small local shows a year and we place well.
    Tuffy 8 year old QH mare
    Dash 2 year old Halfinger gelding

Invested, that picture of Tonka and Mattel is priceless! They posed so nicely for you. I just love it!
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

I am 62, live on a small 13 acre farm old civil war era farmhouse with bats in the attic (only one or two, I think, but I'm not going up there to find out). Kids grown and gone; two dogs (both mutts, Remmy (short for Remmington) and Casey); six cats, 5 of whom started out to be barn cats, but have since taken to lounging in the house, the 6th, a Himalyan is a bona fide house cat and is a bit odd.

I closed my warmblood breeding operation last year, but still have 2 yearlings and a 2 yr old at home. Besides those three there are 5 riding horses (app gelding, 3 warmblood dressage horses ranging from a 6 yr old at training level to a 3rd level horse, and a retired OTTB who hacks around the farm. Besides that there are two recent OTTB rescues, one still layed up; a 35 yr old QH gelding (Charlieo); one boarder; and a retired broodmare. (I forgot the 2 that are in training -- a 5 yr old warmblood mare and a 4 yr old TB. Neither live at home). I'm a lawyer with a full time job (2 actually, if you count the horses) and the horses are all that keeps me sane.

I hack, trail ride, do lower level dressage, hunt a bit, and have done the very lowest level of eventing -- up to novice. Did the hunters and the jumpers 30 years ago, but switched over to dressage/eventing in the 80's.

This post is written in soon to be invisible characters and may disappear -- assuming I got the formula right!
    " ...the mist parted, and there was a green land under a swift sunrise." J.R.R. Tolkien, Return of the King

[quote=jilltx]I prefer to call myself : invis-ABLE, than you very much.

You slay me.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I notice that there are some visible people lurking on our thread. Is that good or bad? Aren't they worried that it's contagious?

Anyhoo...

I am 47, live just outside of Redmond Washington on a 110-acre converted dairy farm... sadly, I am a tenant, not the owner, but it still works for me most of the time.

Here's a graph I'd like to see (I'm a geek too)...

Year(s) # of horses
    ====== =========
    1986 1
    . 1
    . 1
    . 1
    2002 1
    2003 3
    2004 6
    2005 10
    2006 9

I am living my childhood dream, dabbling in some training and selling. Mostly dabbling in acquiring. Right now I have 9 horses ranging from my original gelding who is now 31, down to 3 yearlings. My favorite (oops, sshhhh, I'm not supposed to have favorites) is being trained to ride right now, and I'm very excited about it!

I do a little dressage and mostly pleasure riding and trail riding. Actually I don't do much riding at all... hmmmm.

I also have four cats, one dog and a 6 month old goat...

If my parents had only given in one of the 17,000 times I had asked for a pony, maybe this all would have been unnecessary. Or not!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Quote Originally Posted by jilltx
    I prefer to call myself : invis-ABLE, than you very much.
    . Hey, I started life here as a thread killer extraordinaire. You can't go down from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn trails
    Invested, that picture of Tonka and Mattel is priceless! They posed so nicely for you. I just love it!
    Ah thanks! Yah, they're such buddies--does my heart good. That picture is a few years old but it's one of my favorites of them. And they actually had been sleeping--both with their chins on their paws but when I got up to get the camera, they both looked up. I begged them to stay still so I could take a picture.

If you are a Visible posting here, maybe you are secretly wanting to become an Invisible....it's much nicer here!
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

Default I prefer "differently-visibled"!

I'm staring 40 hard in the face, married nearly 10 years, 2 furkids - a 5yo pit bull mix and a 1yo sheltiesomething.

I've never owned or leased a horse, and have no prospects for doing so in the foreseeable future. I HAVE been extraordinarily lucky in my barns/trainers and have found wonderful schoolies and friends' horses to ride. I rode a LOT as a kid, and was a pretty decent rider, but never showed outside the local circuit (well, maybe one "B" show here or there). Now I'm a 1 lesson per week rider and just try to keep it all together and my a$$ in the saddle. I'm one of those horrible people who have NO aspirations to jump higher than 2'6" and if I ever get to another show will require hand-holding not only from my trainer but also from at least 3 other random people. But I can groom, tack, untack and wash my own horse.

Major accomplishments for 2005 - I finally learned how to wrap polos (my technique still stinks, but it's improving), and can once again jump a small sequence of jumps, including a diagonal with lead change (I'm not up to a "full course" of 8 yet, though). Yay me.

In my non-barn time I'm an estates paralegal (which mostly means I do tax returns), I road bike occasionally with my DH, and I'm training my younger dog for Rally-Obedience and Agility. We're skipping the garden this year (except for the garlic we planted last fall), but next year will have potatoes, corn, tomatoes and sweet onions. And I love to read - fantasy/scifi and historical fiction, mostly.
    middle-aged, chunky, and non-competitive

What kind of historical fiction? Read "The Alienist" Great book. Historical and a mystery.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Stats:
    I'm 26. I work as a pipeline engineer for an offshore oil & gas consultant. Contrary to some belief, my screenname has nothing to do with liquor or pub crawling. While I am indeed a graduate of Texas A&M, the "4Bar" stands for the family cattle business: 4-Bar Ranch. I have three horses - WB mare (age 4), TB mare (age 3), WB gelding (age 5) - and one dog (age 10 mos). I've long forgotten the meaning of "free time"... excluding CoTHing at work.

Super Power:
    Being invisible, of course.

JoZ - between 1986 and 2002 you had .1 horses? Was it a mini? Or was it Beowolf?
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

My superpower...being able to de-rail in a single post! ...and flinging turds non-chalantly out of stall windows.
    =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    ~Jilltx~

Smile I'll give it a shot...

Sounds like fun!!!

Lets see...

I'm 23, graduated from Sweet Briar College a year ago, and yep definitly in that starving no money stage. I market a local mortgage and closing company, but not too happy with my job there. I still rent, but dream for my own place in the far future. I have a couple roomates along with my two roadside abandoned cats, Focker and Kahlua, and my SPCA border collie, Aspen

I do have 4 horses:
    My TB Indy, lives down the road from me. I rescued him from some people, and Ill never forget how beaten and starving he was. It took me 6mths to gain his trust on the ground before I could ride him. Now he follows me everywhere when I see him and is consided the barn gentlemen. Our career started as hunter, but not being round and fluid we moved to jumpers which is much better, though I have to watch out for those monsters under and around those scarey colorful jumps!!

My POA pony, which I used to show when I was younger. Unfortunately she was diagnosed with Cushings a couple mths ago, but is living as comfortably as we can make it for her. Best pony ever!!!

My draft/Han cross that has navicular and can only be ridden lightly. Fattest horse I've ever seen, hes been reduced to wearing a muzzle becasue he likes grass a little too much.

My TWH rescue boy. He was in a field with 20 other horses and stallions. He was beating and had cuts all over him along with every bone sticking out of his body. But he is the sweetest boy ever...def loves the attention!!
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

DG: JoZ's .1 horse was Harvey the invisible horse, of course!
    " ...the mist parted, and there was a green land under a swift sunrise." J.R.R. Tolkien, Return of the King

Default Mostly invisible

Just turned 58 - ugh! Most of the time feel like maybe 40s.

Been riding since I was about 16 when convinced parents to move to horsey area of Los Angeles - Rolling Hills Estates - where you could have horses in the backyard and ride to shows, lessons and trails. Showed mostly local but some west coast A & B shows. Went to college and bred the mares but parents got transferred East so my horses + sisters came to college (9 total but most were young or bred).

After college quit riding for a bit but then got the "bug" again and started up. One old mare got returned from lease situation so bred her again but babies did not work out as riding horses for me.

Finally bought horse of my dreams as a 3 year old and campaigned him throughout Northern California. Bought as a 3' hunter but he took me to A/O hunters, AA jumpers and eq - trainer rode in second year (champion or reserve every time out), open hunters (champion every time out) and then preliminary jumpers (won or second most every class). Retired him at age 17.

Began looking for sane hunter and ended up with 3 year old - now 9 - that I ride mainly for my sanitay and show maybe 1-3 times a year in low level jumpers (2'6 - 2'9") as do not have the desire to show much anymore. Just local stuff for fun.

Am licensed real estate broker with my own firm primarily dealing in relocation.
    Married for 32 years - no children - Golden Retriever. Live in suburbs and board horse close to work and home.

Well, I thought I was visible, but apparently I am invisible because my two daughters completely ignore me when comes time to help out around the farm.

I am 39, have 2 daughters ages 8 & 5, and a hardworking husband who is supportive of my habits.

I work outside the home 4 days a week in an office and run a small boarding business at home on our 18.5 acres. I currently have one mutt, one house cat, 4 or so barn cats, 8 baby chicks (opps, make that 7-kitten broke one's neck yesterday). 5 roosters, 7 laying hens and 5 1/2 horses. The half horse is a resale project that I am in cahoots with a friend of mine. The others include: 8 yr arab/TB mare, 14 yr TB ex-eventer turned dressage gelding (4th level this year), 2 older WB broodmares (both open) and a 6 yr welsh/qh pony mare that the kids adore.

My super-power is to make a completely clean house look like a tornado hit it, without ever stepping foot in the back door in 48 seconds flat.
    Things Take Time

This is fun! Do we get super cool hero suits like in the Incredibles? I'd like mine magically tailored to make me look as if I am *not* the perfect anti-riding body, lol.
    My superhero stats: I'm 21, heading into my final year of college and quaking in fear at the void that lurks just after graduation. I'm originally a Georgian southern belle but living quite happily in Florida where I go to school. I have my wonderful 7 yr old TB gelding Seamus who in between neurotic episodes is super talented and sweet and we (or at least I, haven't gotten his input on the matter yet) hope to event at recognized within the next year. He also herds chickens. We're thinking about a secondary career in team penning.
    I also usually have the latest in a string of super cute resale projects; always QH or Paint ponies in a flashy color .
    No SO, unless Seamus counts! and because I live in my sorority house I can't have any other 4 legged kids My parents do still have our 3 cats, one my amazing Maine Coon, and a totally spastic 18 mnth old German Shorthaired Pointer.
    Next!

Quote Originally Posted by charlieo
    DG: JoZ's .1 horse was Harvey the invisible horse, of course!
    Well clearly my superpower is NOT BB post formatting (which is good, because that would be really sad if that was all I got).

I was just trying to indicate that for ALL the years between 1986 and 2002 I had one (1) horse. A whole horse, the same horse. Visible too! Before the madness descended in 2003 and the numbers started to climb exponentially.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?