The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Talking THE INCREDIBLE INVISIBLES, PART ONE: In Which We Introduce Ourselves

Welcome to the world of the Invisibles! Anyone can join - we are an equal opportunity organization. No snarking, no judgemental comments, just trivial stuff ony an Invisible could appreciate. Feel free to post!

I'm a 47 yr old mom of two nearly grown daughters, three awesome Thoroughbreds, two chihuahuas who rule the roost, four great watchdogs who protect the farm, and a mama cat and her only remaining son (sad story to be told later). We built a house and barn on 17 acres and moved in November. It is paradise! I mostly ride for pleasure, but feel compelled at times to show....my older TB has become the family horse and happily carries anyone around in a Western saddle - but he really wants to be a jumper! I have one project horse who is fun fun fun and another huge boy that goes to the shows when I can stand the heat. All are smart, kind, and my sanity!

Next.....?????
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

wait....I thought there was a post here....does anyone see a post??...Hmmm, maybe it got deleted?

Talking

(same thing I posted in the other thread pretty much)

I'm an invisible!

I'm 26, and will be celebrating my first wedding anniversary in less than a month! Hubby is, alas, severly allergic to horses. When he was younger and on allergy shots, his parents had the bright idea of buying him and his two brothers horses. His horse was named Bars. DH likes to call him Satan. Apparently FIL decided to get Bars because Bars was dirt cheap. This was because Bars had been in a barn fire. Apparently, Bars was completely certifiably nuts. DH would like to get allergy shots again and be able to ride around some, but will only get up on a horse that moves slower than a tortise.

As for me, I took a few (maybe 4 total?) group riding lessons as a kid. I was a very nervous kid, and had an instructor who yelled, and a horse that totally had my number. I didn't last long. After graduating from college, I decided I wanted to get 'back' into riding (in other words, actually maybe ride this time, instead of follow the leader) I've been riding about 4-ish years now I think, mostly in group lessons. My current goal is to learn to make schoolies canter, and *stay* cantering. Would help if the transition didn't scare me so much!

No horses but we have two cats who don't get along, and a handfull of fish. My 10-lb cat, Quasi is 12, DH's 22-lb cat, Tom (Tom Bombadill) is about 5. Tom enjoys chasing Quasi and trying to mount her when she's napping. (Yes, they're both fixed) Quasi enjoys getting into laps at the most inopportune moments, and leaving Tom slightly bloody when he moves in on her personal space.

And that there is a novel about moi.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion; you must set yourself on fire

Can you hijack and derail an invisible thread? Hmmm....must ponder this...it might be like dividing by zero....
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

No, it is impossible to hijack something that is not there!!!
    We are protected by our invisible-ness. (Is that a word?)
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird!
    wait....I thought there was a post here....does anyone see a post??...Hmmm, maybe it got deleted?
    BAAAHAHAH!!!!

I posted on the other one, but here I go again

I'm a 35 year old research scientist with 1 spotty appy cross 2 pit bull cross rescue pups named hannah and xeres and 1 super fiancee that I will be marrying on October 22, 2006

I will be trying my hand at eventing as soon as all of our moons are aligned.

My super power: I can turn any shade of pink or red that you please, allowing me to blend in with the velvet wallpaper at all of the finest italian eateries.

I'm 47, deevorced, with no 2-legged kids.

I have 2 PB Arab geldings, because it wasn't masochistic enough to own just one!

Conny is 24 y/o, has been with me almost 20 years, and is my horsey soul mate. Casper is 8, and I've had him 3 years. Conny's extremely laid back for an Ay-rab, although Casper could win Arabian Stereotype of the Century!

I have my own little 5-acre farmette in the wilds of VA, and along with the 2 horses, I have a brindle Great Dane named Lexi (who thinks her real name is Dammit-Lexi-NO), 3 barn cats named Abbey, Moonpie, and Kramer, and a ferret named Penny.

I primarily ride English but that's changing, because Casper is a natural Western Pleasure horse (except for the bug-eyed spookiness) and we're both learning how to ride thataway. It's a lot different than English, that's fer sure! Now I need me one a them there Western saddles n'stuff.

Used to show, now mostly trail ride. The clothes and tack are just as expensive as show stuff, but you don't worry as much when it gets dirty!

(I'm also incredibly lazy, since there was NO WAY I was gonna type all this again; pasted it from the other thread!)

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
    Can you hijack and derail an invisible thread? Hmmm....must ponder this...it might be like dividing by zero....
    One geek to another I'm in hysterics....
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.

Percheron - It is like asymptotically approaching infinity, no?

I have no super powers. Even my guide isn't much help, or I would have woken up today to find all my grant reviews done for me.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Yay! Incredible Invisibles unite!

Let's see, in a former life (living on the east coast) I did the jumpers and dressage to tune up for eventing. Did that for a few years. Did a stint at show grooming for a former member of the USET, barn manager for a hunter queen who didn't ride but paid Cindy Williams to ride for her. Went to HITS Florida one year, got rained on almost every day down there (blech).

Eventually married, moved out here to the west coast, divorced the non-horsey husband and married a cowboy. Now have 5 horses of various breeds -Two appy mares, one BLM mustang filly, one AQHA mare from CBER, and one QH gelding. Don't show anymore but ride trails, pack in the mountains, and train my youngsters. We're putting in an arena so I have someplace to do said training. Unfortunately, being on COTH is having an effect because I am now thinking of turning the QH mare into a horse I can do some English showing on. I got her as a resale project so that may be the ticket for her, campaign and sell as a childrens hunter (she's fairly small).

I'm 46, but most days feel 40 . Could pass for 35, people can't believe it when I tell them my actual age (I've got a good hair colorist and a sunny outlook). No 2 legged children but an adult stepdaughter who has two kids of her own so I'm gramma to them, 5 good horses, 2 great dogs, and three barn cats. Used to have 4 cats but there's coyotes around.

This is fun.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by cosmos mom
    My super power: I can turn any shade of pink or red that you please, allowing me to blend in with the velvet wallpaper at all of the finest italian eateries.
    Hey, me too!!! And the blending makes us...invisible! Which is good, because it's so embarrassing -- which makes me turn more red.

Also posting, for the most part, what I did on the other thread...

I, jazzrider, am more of a hack than anything. Ride English or western (prefer english) and have six horses on my property (3 mine, 3 boarders). Trained with assorted trainers in assorted disciplines. Just starting to believe in the magic of dressage. I started to train in dressage late last fall and thought I was going to try showing this Spring, but my QH Jazz had other plans (torn ligament!). I don’t consider myself an expert on anything (which I guess is why I'm invisible ), but have a lot to say about the trials and tribulations of building a horse farm from scratch!

I love my husband of 17 years, 2 dogs, my QH Jazz (a.k.a. little Lord Fauntelroy) and retired OTTB Zack (know for his Zack-attacks!), and my husband’s big Spotted Saddle Horse Rocket (a.k.a.“The Cow”).

I'm so happy to be invisible with all of you!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

OOOOOOOOO Can I play???

I have to think about what super powers I have..... other than the usual "Evil Mom Stare," the eyes in the back of my head and the acute hearing when one of my kiddos is about to do something very wrong. Hmmmmm...

Mr Hobie and I train racehorses - we currently have 3, Boom Boom, Gemma and Blackjack. And daughter Lauren has Nappy the Haflinger pony she shares with all the other kids...... who are all horse nuts.

Fortunately only one of them will be jockey sized....
    Jessi Pizzurro ~~ Pennyroyal Stables
    Racehorses, OTTBs ~~ 330 383 1281
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. -- John Wayne

Jazzrider, we can commisserate on the joys AND pitfalls of building the farm.....when you say from SCRATCH, well, that's what ours was. Deliverance meets the Hillbillies. We have unearthed things while clearing that don't belong in a pasture!
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

Default Well hello there everyone,

Moonriver you have the life I dream about! (well from your little bio at least).

I am 23, and horseless at the moment. I have been riding since I can remember, showing hunters, some eq and a few fun times in the jumper ring. Hopefully I can go horse shopping soon! I am always on the horse sales sites drooling.

I am married (nearly 1 yr now) to Jack, who is my best friend and just frankly perfect. I am a Market Analyst for an Aerospace Engineering Company that makes PMA Parts for jet engines. No one really understands what I do, suffice to say I am an analyst who works with the sales department who sell things like combustion chambers to all the commercial and military airlines. The hubby is in grad school at Univ of Miami, studying Music Business and Entertainment Industries (again, , basically he manages artists and concerts and does work with publishing and licensing). We are in that typical post-college state of borderline poverty but we are saving our tuckusses (tucki?) off for a house in the near future. I have dreams about farmette's in SC or NC with 10-18 acres, a barn, ring, a draftie cross for the hubby and labredor retriever.

We live outside Miami in the sleepy little town of Hollywood, where everyone seems to be retired and plays a whole lot of golf. I can't wait to move back to The South though!

I am very addicted to COTH and spend way too much time on here while I am sitting at work (cause I am ALWAYS on the computer, this BB serves to entertain me while Excel thinks). That's me in a nutshell.

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
    Percheron - It is like asymptotically approaching infinity, no?
    In the context of CoTH, the thread would become infinitely large, possibly evolving in a BB black hole from which none of us could successfully emerge (not that we're capable of leaving the BB anyway ). Just think, it could beat out the Gypsy Vanner thread for length!!

Default Can you see me?

I'm a 33 year old high school art teacher (school's almost out!!), married to a man who is non-horsey but fairly supportive of the Equine Addicition. We've been married going on 4 years. We have several "children": 2 cats, 1 semi-retired OTTB, 6 Betta fish and 1 large tropical fish tank... no two-legged kids. Currently live in Northern VA, but moving back to Houston in a month.

Ride purely for pleasure these days (English, used to event... and will again someday!), as I am working hard on the equine photography. So having a semi-retired horse is nice, I don't feel too guilty when I can't get out to ride because I am shooting at an event!
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

I prefer to call myself : invis-ABLE, thank you very much.

jilltx:

**Mother of one DARLING seven-year-old girl (don't believe me see photo attached)
    doobage.redirectme.net/horses/bearlauralook.jpg
    **Wife to one space-geek-NASA-bass-playing-computer-nerd
    **RULED by one fat (make that PHAT) Luna-booner mare who's dam I also owned (see piccie in profile).
    **Shares dwelling (albeit sometimes reluctantly) with one IG, two cats, one betta and one CUTE ferret as well as two aforementioned humans.
    ** works for a very large hospital entering data for medical drug studies.
    **was once on track to be a medical illustrator; LOVES to stitch when not caring for houseful of ingrates (mostly animal) or at barn providing maid service for ungrateful mare.
    Last edited by jilltx; Jun. 8, 2006 at 04:06 PM.
    =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    ~Jilltx~

But will we stay invisible or will our invisibility be compromised? My super power is I can remember even the smallest bit of trivia about things people do to embarrass aforementioned people many years later like when I brought up in front of her friends that my sister got constipated right before her wedding. I know, it's a gift.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Oh yay!! I want to join!!

30yo, mom of only 4-legged creatures--dog (Tonka), cat (Mattie; ok, well, technically her name is Mattel ) and the greatest OTTB ever (Tedi)---pix of all 3 in my webshots.
    Just broke into eventing last year--both the horse and I were hunters---and now I'm totally hooked!!!
    Work in a think tank for the Government and actually enjoy my job....usually.
    Amwrider: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their genitalia and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by texang73

I'm a 33 year old high school art teacher (school's almost out!!), married to a man who is non-horsey but fairly supportive of the Equine Addicition. We've been married going on 4 years. We have several "children": 2 cats, 1 semi-retired OTTB, 6 Betta fish and 1 large tropical fish tank... no two-legged kids. Currently live in Northern VA, but moving back to Houston in a month.

Ride purely for pleasure these days (English, used to event... and will again someday!), as I am working hard on the equine photography. So having a semi-retired horse is nice, I don't feel too guilty when I can't get out to ride because I am shooting at an event!
    ohTaxang73...I am so sorry (for having to move back to Houston)

It's 102 here today with the heat index
    =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    ~Jilltx~