The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Actually, the main problem with NH is that it is raining. Again. You would THINK that having to be declared a Federal Disaster would grant one a respite from the rain, but you would be wrong.

Really, I could be much more tolerant of this NH stuff if we could have some sunshine and temps around 70.

But, you know, that's just me.

I just peeled a couple of kohlrahbi, can I pass it around?
    "Riding: the art of keeping a horse between yourself and the ground."

~Horsebiters Clique Founder~Drafties~The A Team~Anti-Kohlrahbi Proliferation Group~Elite Closet Canterer...by proxy~

Maybe we should just club together and buy the OP her own box of matches, then she could roast her own marshmallows...

However, seriously now... years ago I took a nice horse I was having some issues with to a 2-day clinic given by a "John Lyons certified trainer." We came away with a better understanding of each other.

Looking back and analysing what went on, I can see now that the most important aspect of the entire deal was that we spent the entire 2 days together. I sat on that horse, except for lunch and potty breaks, for two whole days. We were both exhausted by the end of it, but we did have a better clue about what each other was about.

The actual "training" part of it... well, eek, frankly, for an "English" horse. And to be honest that has been largely my experience fir many of these NH/Cowboy type trainers. You might get one specific issue fixed, but you end up with a whole raft of other issues you need to resolve thereafter that make you wonder why on earth you did this.

Default Excuse me!!!!!

Will this FINALLY be the trainwreck NH thread that I FINALLY find out what exactly the deal with Parelli and the O'Conners is???!!!! Please please please?????
    Yes, please, pass the Kohlrahbi, and the Big BK Parelli.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

This is unreal. Someone predicted this very thing on the whiney princess thread with the school horse that wasn't a school horse. I can't believe it, I woke up in the twilight zone.

Funny thing too, because when I read that the choices were a thread on natural horsemanship, slaughter, or a poling and I thought well 1 and 2 are too obvious she'll choose 3. Nope. Wrong-o.

I am on side of common sense and good horsemanship. Those guys have made good money packaging the concept. To be honest I also learn from my horses. They are all diffrent and I let them be the teachers. And my goodness do we get some lunatics that come through our barn. Have a brilliant husband who is tireless when it comes to these horses and he makes a diffrence. And believe you me, I'm not tooting his horn because he's my husband, because we have loads of bad moments when working together all the time, he just does a good job.

I too would like to now all the scoop on these people.
    Terri

I second the the Parelli and O'Conner Drama. I am more excited to find that out then my weekly trips to the high school lunch room to get some good, fertile dirt.

This just keeps on getting more interesting. I am starting to think that this is a fairy tale being strung out. People should find her photobucket a while back, there is no set thing it seems, I didn't even know you could have that pages.

That may seem unrelated, but for example most everyone I know seems real if you look at there webshots/photobucket.

I can't wait. Tomorrow at work is going to be fun (reading the results of this bad boy)
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

OK..... hand over the kohlrabi before someone gets hurt....

Kohlrabi is not a toy, it takes years of experience under the supervision of an expert to learn to handle kohlrabi in a safe and responsible manner.

Many horses suffer each year at the hands of well meaning people who believe they are in control of the kohlrabi. These people are usually given kohlrabi by unscrupulous kohlrabi con artists, and brainwashed into handing over large sums of money believing that kohlrabi is the answer to all their desires.

Kohlrabi does have its legitimate uses, when properly washed, and cut into small pieces, it makes a tasty addition to a salad or can be steamed and served with melted butter as a delicious side dish to a main course.

Remember, if anyone other than a licensed grocer offers to sell you kohlrabi, run 20 steps to the Northeast and then "Duck and Cover", this is the only method endorsed by the AKPG to prevent an unhealthy exposure to kohlrabi, the addiction, and the madness that inevitably affects those who are unwittingly seduced by the kohlrabi's power to make it's users feel superior over all others.

Please help us put a stop to kohlrabi abuse today.

This has been a public service message from the Anti Kohlrabi Proliferation Group.
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.

Ok, I let someone do it with my horse. The dreaded NH thing. The other training they did was ok, but the NH stuff, oh gawd.

Who was the poster that said, if you want to compete in Parelli, NH is fine??? Well, seems pretty correct from my unfortunate experience. For an "English" horse, NH left me with more holes to patch than dads 1961 Renault Dauphine. She was almost see thru in spots.

To longe a horse, pre-NH, with appropriate tack and equipment, simple. Classic body language accompanied by a longe whip if needed (which it usually wasn't) No problem. We could do it.

To longe post-NH. Err, not so simple. Picture me, armed with longe whip, longe line, and horse. Let out some line, proceed into classic "get out there a little" body language. Horse gets butt out there, head remains fixed at my ear. Great. Cluck a little, wave whip up and down, give "go FOREWARD" body language again. Horse moves butt faster away from me. Head remains in same spot. Grrr. *Proclamation from bystander*..."SEE?? He's YIELDING to her!!" Gggggrrrrrrr!!!!! How frustrating!

It didn't take too long to teach him to longe again, but my gawd. How awful. I'm sure some parellian would tell me I was doing something wrong, but I find comfort and consistency (and results!) on my own and friends horses with the old school way.

Wait, I know!! NH does work! It teaches Patience and Anger Management!!!!!!!!
    "Wost Case Ontario..."

When it comes to NH stuff, I pick out the little, basic things that will help me. Then I chuck the rest.

I do think most, if not all, of the NH "gurus" DO have a gift with horses, and that a lot of their training methods are valid to some degree. I think the "scam" portion comes when they claim ANYBODY can do the same (for a price, of course ). This is just not true; NOT everybody can (or should!) train their own horse, and trying to do it after just attending a clinic or watching a video is what gets people hurt. Furthermore, being fully indoctrinated in NH methods tends to close peoples' minds to other possibilities. Training methods vary widely because HORSES vary widely; there is no "one size fits all" solution, yet that's exactly what the NH guys are trying to sell.

I think the biggest objection to NH is the plain and simple fact that you CAN'T package and sell a training method that will work for every horse and every rider...so when a NH guru tells you HIS methods WILL work for you, it's a total assumption.

But the idea of horses jumping barrels, lying down on command, and being ridden without a bridle is an incredible lure for inexperienced horse owners, owners of "problem" horses, and those suffering from "Black Stallion Syndrome." The chances that ANY owner/horse will reach the highest levels of NH training are slim at best, and though the NH guru knows that, he keeps insisting that the high levels are attainable by all. That's a total lie.

NH gurus know that as long as people have horses, they will have problems with horses. Thus, it's not the die-hard fans that spell success for NH, but the droves of newbies who keep coming for quick fixes. Why pay a trainer to work with the horse for months, when it can be fixed over the weekend for a fraction of the cost? Such is the lure of the instant gratification our society has become accustomed to. Even if the NH guru can't help, he can teach a few quick tricks that leave the owner thinking it was money well-spent. A total deception: so what if the horse still bucks/rears/bolts? He learned how to push a barrel with his nose!

Chances are the NH guru will never see that horse again. The NH guru knows this, too. The owner took the bait, paid for the clinic, bought the book and the carrot stick, and is now on their own to do as they please. THAT'S the dangerous part; people come away thinking they have learned how to train a horse, when in fact they've only learned a FEW of many steps in just ONE method of training a horse. NH gurus take a small amount of knowledge and amplify it to staggering, ego-boosting degrees...an exceptionally dangerous gimmick.

In the end, NH gurus probably do more harm than good.

The inherent harm of prepackaged, generalized horsemanship is what people object to, not the good sense at the heart of most NH techniques.

JMHO.

Percheron you're classic! But, Kohlrabi is UGLY!! Ewwww.
    "Wost Case Ontario..."

Quote Originally Posted by SBT
    When it comes to NH stuff, I pick out the little, basic things that will help me. Then I chuck the rest.

I do think most, if not all, of the NH "gurus" DO have a gift with horses, and that a lot of their training methods are valid to some degree. I think the "scam" portion comes when they claim ANYBODY can do the same (for a price, of course ). This is just not true; NOT everybody can (or should!) train their own horse, and trying to do it after just attending a clinic or watching a video is what gets people hurt. Furthermore, being fully indoctrinated in NH methods tends to close peoples' minds to other possibilities. Training methods vary widely because HORSES vary widely; there is no "one size fits all" solution, yet that's exactly what the NH guys are trying to sell.

I think the biggest objection to NH is the plain and simple fact that you CAN'T package and sell a training method that will work for every horse and every rider...so when a NH guru tells you HIS methods WILL work for you, it's a total assumption.

But the idea of horses jumping barrels, lying down on command, and being ridden without a bridle is an incredible lure for inexperienced horse owners, owners of "problem" horses, and those suffering from "Black Stallion Syndrome." The chances that ANY owner/horse will reach the highest levels of NH training are slim at best, and though the NH guru knows that, he keeps insisting that the high levels are attainable by all. That's a total lie.

NH gurus know that as long as people have horses, they will have problems with horses. Thus, it's not the die-hard fans that spell success for NH, but the droves of newbies who keep coming for quick fixes. Why pay a trainer to work with the horse for months, when it can be fixed over the weekend for a fraction of the cost? Such is the lure of the instant gratification our society has become accustomed to. Even if the NH guru can't help, he can teach a few quick tricks that leave the owner thinking it was money well-spent. A total deception: so what if the horse still bucks/rears/bolts? He learned how to push a barrel with his nose!

Chances are the NH guru will never see that horse again. The NH guru knows this, too. The owner took the bait, paid for the clinic, bought the book and the carrot stick, and is now on their own to do as they please. THAT'S the dangerous part; people come away thinking they have learned how to train a horse, when in fact they've only learned a FEW of many steps in just ONE method of training a horse. NH gurus take a small amount of knowledge and amplify it to staggering, ego-boosting degrees...an exceptionally dangerous gimmick.

In the end, NH gurus probably do more harm than good.

The inherent harm of prepackaged, generalized horsemanship is what people object to, not the good sense at the heart of most NH techniques.

JMHO.
    This is possibly the most intellegent piece ever written on the subject of NH... and it's really too bad that it is on a fake thread. Shame, shame, OP.

Talking NH 101 BAD

This is usually my opening statement when people ask this question. I don't usually have to go into any more detail.
    Well, lets start with horsemanship 101.... when leading a horse the horse should walk with his shoulder at yours. Horse leaps forward you can move with him... leaps sideways you see him coming and can move. Simple good horsemanship
    NH 101...... turn and walk away from your horse holding the end of the lead line and he will follow you. Now that might sound just fine and FUN to boot, unless you are walking a 17h warmblood. All you need is something to startle him from behind and BAM you are nothing but a SPEED BUMP with hoof prints. And yur carcus didn't slow him down cuz now he's runnin all over the property causing ruckus.
    that is my first of many examples why their horsemanship is dangerous for not only the NH enthusiast but to everyone on the property.
    Then there is teh jumping the pickanick table bareback without a helmet, and don't forget riding the horse into the trailer and grabbing the roof before getting decappitated. I could go on but won't.
    When I see someone walking their horse with a bag on the end of a long whip I leave the premesis.
    That my friends is some of the stupidest horse $hite I have ever seen packaged.
    Join a good pony club!!

Quote Originally Posted by physical.energy
    NH 101...... turn and walk away from your horse holding the end of the lead line and he will follow you. Now that might sound just fine and FUN to boot, unless you are walking a 17h warmblood. All you need is something to startle him from behind and BAM you are nothing but a SPEED BUMP with hoof prints. And yur carcus didn't slow him down cuz now he's runnin all over the property causing ruckus.
    I forgot about that one. An old BO's NH horse ran me over in above described form. Not that I am one to turn and walk away, but the horses suck back and don't respond to you flicking the leadline behind you, other than just moving their butt a little to the right of course. Lets play jump on the leader. I think that's the 8th and most prestigous game. So many fond memories of NH'ed PMU horses.
    "Wost Case Ontario..."

Quote Originally Posted by PiedPiper
    Why not do a search and you can see why the opinions are the way they are.

Isn't that what I am doing? Asking skilled horseman their opinions? And here there is no "google bombing"
    I've got the 3 things men want. I'm hot, and I'm smart!

-The 6th Member Of The Bareback Riders Clique-

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper K.
    Yeah, give our neighbors to the North a break! Some of my best friends are from NH

I can almost see it from here!

So does this mean that horseowners in NH are NH Horsemen?

Quote Originally Posted by Sswor
    This is possibly the most intellegent piece ever written on the subject of NH... and it's really too bad that it is on a fake thread. Shame, shame, OP.

What on earth are you talking about???????????? Questions aren't allowed??? God, are ALL of you ppl NUTS!!??

Here's a PM I got from another member who has "exited" this board b4 she ever got out of "Greenie"

"Thanks for the advise. I've already decided this BB is too nasty for me"

Or another guy, who put a link from this BB in another BB (which is how I found it). I asked him why I haven't seen him in here and he said "Are you kidding? Those people are psychotic!"

I am really starting to see what he is talking about.

I have never seen ANY message board where the Admin had to interfere so much. And I go on the hard core Political chat boards..you want to see riled up ppl? Talk religion, politics and gay marriage. But you guys, I have to say..make those boards look like a petty kindergarden arguements over crayons.

To the few ppl in here that aren't infected with the "rabies" these ppl seem to have...You are awesome! The rest of you nutcases....have a GREAT life..I feel sorry for your horses, and your husbands....those of you whos husbands havent LEFT you yet!!!!

Alysheba out.
    I've got the 3 things men want. I'm hot, and I'm smart!

-The 6th Member Of The Bareback Riders Clique-

No, that isn't what you are doing. Do a search and see what these people thought when it was addressed by a less "controversial" poster.

Not sure if you have realized but right now ANYTHING you post will be turned into a trainwreck. My advice, quit posting!! Lay low, lurk, read past threads on any and all topics of interest-they have all been done, and then when the dust as settle on the mayhem you have caused, come back with intelligent and post worthy threads.

But at least, instead of saying "well it looks like there may be a bias with such and such", do a thread search and FIND out if there is and WHY.

Unless your point is to cause as many trainwrecks as possible.

I must say that I am shocked that mods haven't given you a "no expenses paid" vacation yet, especially with some of the other free passes that have been passed out lately. So, if you like being here, I would realize that things/mods have gone soft on you and count your lucky stars and stay on the straight and narrow for the near future.

So number one rule for that . . . quit starting or posting inflammatory topics!!! No comments on weight (jesus woman that was dumb) . . . you know what, just no opinions on others period. Your pass to an opinion has been suspended. Just don't have one, at least for awhile.

If you are smart you will see the wisdom given to you. If not you will respond in a cursing manner as has been the common mode of conduct.

Be smart.

Default SBT

That really was well done. Too bad it will get loss in the morass, but we'll have to try to remember it the next time this subject comes up. It IS the best answer to the OP's question (one we've seen before, and will see again).
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.