The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default NH or no NH...and why?

Hey guys, I've seen a lot of anti NH stuff in these threads (usually hunter/eventer/dressage

I'm wondering why the animosity? Do some ppl think its a scam?

My first experience w/"NH" was watching the J. Lyons video "Round Pen Reasoning" and I was IMPRESSED!! But the idea of owning a round pen was a unachievable dream at 22 yrs of age. I didn't even think of that as NH, it just made sense to me.

I don't know anything about "Parelli", but I was just at a J. Lyons clinic at the MN Horse Expo and I saw him help a mare who was "herd terrified" she would start bolting and rearing when other riders came near her. John fixed the problem by teaching the rider to "give the horse something else to do" when horses came around. He taught her how to make the horse lower his head on command (theory: a horse can't rear if its head is down). I didn't get to see if it was tested (my daughter got bored and wanted to go look at the diff breeds in the barns) But I'm assuming he did.

So what are your guys thoughts on this NH stuff? And is some more "Zenny" than others?
    I've got the 3 things men want. I'm hot, and I'm smart!

-The 6th Member Of The Bareback Riders Clique-

I've been to a J. Lyons clinic -- buncha crap, imnsho. I ESPECIALLY liked when he whipped a horse strongly enough to draw blood. Yeah, THAT's natural... And by 'zenny", are you referring to the Eastern religion??? NOTHING to do with round pens and whipping, imo.

Alysheba you might want to do a topic search on this before it mushrooms like a shitake after the spring rain.

It's a pretty sensitive subject 'round these parts, kinda like politics, religion and money.

As an aside, I recently went to a Parelli clinic in Ft Worth, and while I admit that the groundwork was pretty kewl, the undersaddle stuff made NO sense to me at all (if you ever want to compete in anything OTHER than Parelli in your lifetime). I will refrain from commenting on Linda Parelli, but lets just suffice it to say that she was highly insulting on every level.
    =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    ~Jilltx~

There are good and bad aspects to NH.

All of the good aspects of it aren't really special to NH - they're principles of basic horsemanship.

NH trainers just found a fancy way to package it and market it (along with some stuff that I think is just crap).

It's not all good or all bad, though. It works for some, not for others. I used to be way more into it, until I realized I was basically buying into a bunch of fancy marketing on very basic principles of horsemanship that were not unique to one trainer or another. They've each just found different ways to market them and make followers believe that they need to do certain things. (For example, I don't have to play 7 games with my horses before every single ride... I don't think it's necessary or all that productive, but others disagree)

People are passionate about this issue, though... on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaxxton
    There are good and bad aspects to NH.

All of the good aspects of it aren't really special to NH - they're principles of basic horsemanship.

NH trainers just found a fancy way to package it and market it (along with some stuff that I think is just crap).

It's not all good or all bad, though. It works for some, not for others. I used to be way more into it, until I realized I was basically buying into a bunch of fancy marketing on very basic principles of horsemanship that were not unique to one trainer or another. They've each just found different ways to market them and make followers believe that they need to do certain things. (For example, I don't have to play 7 games with my horses before every single ride... I don't think it's necessary or all that productive, but others disagree)

People are passionate about this issue, though... on both sides.

B I N G O on all counts. Clever marketing, semi-entertaining personalties
    =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    ~Jilltx~

it comes down to horsemanship, no matter what you call it, although i do like reading the dorrance brothers and wish i had met either one of them
    i've ridden in a few clinics by buck brannaman and once ventured into a ray hunt clinic, best clinic i rode in was a joe fargis clinic, the horsemanship was natural but i dunno is ther some kind of ID tag that identifies the NH people, because the fargis clinic was a natural as could be

Because it's all crap tied up in a fancy package.

Minus ten....

Basically, I think NH is joke based on the "confidence" it gives people to train horses that shouldn't be doing it alone. I can read everything about flying an airplane, and I certainly have flown in one. Do you trust me to fly the plane? I don't either! Horses are large creatures with individual personalities. Claiming "these are the steps" is ridiculous.

Maybe I should add: I dislike the boneheads using it (who can't tie their shoes without bumping their heads) more than I do the NH folks themselves.

I agree w/Phaxxton 100%.

I could easily be accused of being anti-NH but it's not true. What I dislike about it is the marketing - and the ideas it gives the people who go to these clinics. The other thing I dislike is the responses they train, on purpose or inadvertently - into their horses. Because when they get done playing horsie and sell it, then the horse has some very odd quirks and the rest of the world does not get it, and does not think it's funny. Tough on the poor horse.

Here you go again busting on good old New Hampshire I've been - try it, you might like it

I do enjoy join up. I can'tsay it does anything other than get my horse to follow me around, but on days when I would be longing-hey, why not?
    -Grace

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Chicken
    Here you go again busting on good old New Hampshire I've been - try it, you might like it

She is freaking kidding, right? <meaning the OP>
    A friend is someone who walks in the door when everyone else walks out.

Default NH is wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Chicken
    Yeah, give our neighbors to the North a break! Some of my best friends are from NH

Talking Oh FUN

potentially another 95 page commentary in the making!!

Get out the popcorn, gang!!

Personally, my problem with NH is that a lot of it is basic common sense wrapped up in fancy packaging. You don't NEED a fancy shmancy carrot stick to form a relationship with your horse. And really, judging from some of the Natural Horsemanship dropouts I've seen (and the work people have had to put into them to really understand exactly what was done to them), do you even WANT that relationship to begin with?
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

Why not do a search and you can see why the opinions are the way they are.
    Grab mane and kick on!

www.rocksolid-training.com

Grab mane and kick on!

Grab mane and kick on!

Quote Originally Posted by Appassionato

Maybe I should add: I dislike the boneheads using it (who can't tie their shoes without bumping their heads) more than I do the NH folks themselves.
    Hear!!! Hear!!!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.