The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

I was once at a clinic with a BIGnametrainer who told our local Dressage (WannaBe) Queen, that she had a lovely horse but, unfortunately, she rode like a Monkey.

Now...English being his SECOND language...perhaps she shouldn't have gotten all pissed off when really he was just telling her to get a set of draw reins???

Insult or miscommunication?

YOU be the judge.

Cinder

Perhaps it was intended as a compliment. Monkeys have excellent balance and often excel at the lower levels. Look closely, next time you are at a show. In Europe, almost all the lower level horses are ridden by monkeys now. They also make fabulous inexpensive working students.

Quote Originally Posted by egontoast
    Perhaps it was intended as a compliment. Monkeys have excellent balance and often excel at the lower levels. Look closely, next time you are at a show. In Europe, almost all the lower level horses are ridden by monkeys now. They also make fabulous inexpensive working students.
    Damnit Eggy you've given away my secret... "How To Train Horses On A Budget". Now the Monkey Union will be after me to pay them more money and have their lice picked by lesser mammals. Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by egontoast
    In Europe, you say? Hmmm...I could have sworn I have been seeing them this side of the pond too.

Wait 'til PETA gets ahold of that one...
    No matter where you go, there you are

I'm probabkly about to shoot myself in the foot but...

My trainer is not well known herself I think but she has trained several people who went on to FEI levels and she has also trained under several really well known people. She is of the "up and open" school and "push them forward" etc. She trains a lot of horses and I have only seen her use "draw reins" on one horse---mine.

Let me be specific: She actually uses the rein as a sliding rein and she only uses one. She attaches it to the girth like a side rein and then through the bit and to her hand.

My horse has some left over baggage from my crappy riding and also other people who rode him when he used to be at the other barn (my old trainer). Plus his head attaches to his neck in not that great of a way--he has this tight muscle right behind his jaw and not much room for any kind of looseness in the jaw. As a result of these two things he has developed a very tight jaw and also he leans on the right rein which is a combo of the jaw problem and his right hind which is weaker.

My trainer is also 60+ years old and has some physical baggage of her own. She's not physically strong enough to deal with how hard he will pull. She of course doesn't let him pull but often she will have too much trouble.

That is when she will put on the sliding rein just on the right side mostly when she is going to do a left lead canter. She uses it only for a short period of time.

We're actually looking in to getting him a different bit, one that will help him loosen his jaw. A olympic clinician recomended a bochet--snaffle mouth piece but with a tiny bit of leverage. It's not more severe than the bit he is wearing (a loose ring) but the action is slightly different and should help encourage him to loosen his jaw.

He already is on the aides, he uses himself very well now. My trainer has been working a lot on his lateral movements asking for very slight collection to help him use himself and carry better. But despite all of her best efforts his conformation makes it very difficult for him not to lean on you. It's almost like he would just go better in a double bridle.

Just my example of "gadget" usage in what I consider the right circumstance. I myself have never used draw reins or other gadgets like that. And I would be opposed to my trainer using the sliding rein if she used it all the time, but she doesn't. She's very careful about it.