The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default *pics added to OP*an opinion from both sides of the warmblood vs arab discussion

For my entire riding career I have only ridden very high quality warmbloods. (never owned or leased any though) I recently moved, and started riding a friends 2 arabs to see what all the fuss was about.

Given the fact that these particular horses are very nice, and trained and extensively shown in western and "english" on the arab circuit, it was very interesting to see how they differ from warmbloods.

I found them to be highly motivated to work, and easier to get through, most likely because of their size and reaction time. I also found that they were very aware of everything in the arena and outside of it, and can spook really fast. lol.

I really enjoy them actually. They went from curling up in the neck at the slightest application of leg, to going forward and into the contact very nicely. VERY retrainable, even after years of western training, and showing.

also their size makes it easier to connect, but harder to get around the arena in the time allowed for most tests. diagonal lines look veeerrryyy long from on top of an arab.

I noticed that most people who have doubts about arans in dressage dont have any experience riding or training them, and most arabian supporters have little to no experience riding the big warmbloods. so I thought I would just put this out there. here are a couple pics...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v363/JHoare85/
    Last edited by Gucci Cowgirl; Jun. 20, 2006 at 04:48 PM.
    Nothing worth having comes easily.

I think any breed can do well as long as its built for it (mental, physical, etc).
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

I ride both Arabians and WB in Dressage ( along with other breeds I train ), but specifically I have and train both Arabs and WB. Again, it is about the horse, not the breed.

I've ridden both.

I love riding Arabs.
    I don't care to ride WB's.
    Other people feel the opposite.
    Tastes differ.
    Isn't that one reason there are so many breeds of riding horses?
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Just ride what you enjoy - life's too short to worry about small stuff

A horse is a horse
    of course, of course.

Here we go again with the 'my breed's better than your breed'

booooooring and petty

Ego-I don't think so. I think it's a matter of people realizing you can't judge individuals by breed (although the post above yours does have negative tones). Yes, they do have certain in-bred traits, thats what breeders strive for but it's still amazing what you may discover when you keep an open mind.

I've ridden both as well as TB's and appendix QHs. I fell in love with the arab's mind in '93 and haven't gone back!!

My latest mare has (also trained for performance first) has surpassed my expectations and continually scores in the high 60's at open shows. She loves dressage- it has improved her tremendously.

But-all breeds have something to give- you just have to find what works for you!

I use to own/ride/show/breed holsteiners. When my kids came along I decided to change my focus and got into welsh; however, during my "switchover" I purchased a friend's Arab who has been my constant companion ever since. He earned all my scores for my bronze, carried my husband through all sorts of trails and gave my daughter her start in showing. He is currently suffering from severe laminitis and I'm doing all I can to get him back to a level where he is at least comfortable but may have to say goodbye soon if I'm not successful. He has been my "horse of a lifetime". We've owned two other arabs, one taught both my kids how to ride and is now with another family teaching all of them to ride. Though my focus is a different breed, I can't imagine my barn without at least one Arab (hopefully THE one but only time will tell.). I don't think one breed is necessarily better than another. Yes, some are bred for specific purposes so they should excel in those areas; but, I do "identify" with certain breeds better than others and it "ain't" all about dressage (sorry).

Quote Originally Posted by egontoast
    Here we go again with the 'my breed's better than your breed'

booooooring and petty
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Stirrup
    Ego-I don't think so.
    Well, the title of the thread does say "warmblood versus Arab..."

I agree with Eggy. Every time one of these "discussions" comes up it makes me sad. And a little angry, too. Sheesh! Just ride your damn horse the best you can and stop worrying about what kind of horse someone else is riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

exvet.

how tall are you that you went from riding Holsteiners to Welsh?

Quote Originally Posted by Oakstable
    exvet.

how tall are you that you went from riding Holsteiners to Welsh?
    I just want to jump in and say that when I was horse shopping I rode a 15.2 Holsteiner. He was cute as a button! They're not all huge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

I love a good Arab. They have a lot of heart, and they are sturdy things. I think the Arab breeders are doing a fantastic job... I am seeing many sports horse type these days... more correct, taller more substance. I find them very rideable and trainable... very social and willing to please. They usually have pretty good natural balance and very sure footed.

I do find tension could be a problem with Arabs but not necessarily spookier. I also find some Arabs have a little bit too much 'spring' but not necessarily articulation of the joings... so the 'up and down' movement is especially pronounced when they are nervous. Also some of them could be straight on the shoulder and hind legs, but I've been seeing fewer of those these days.

You guys find very few Arab bucks? Don't know why but I don't know any that does. The rotten ones I know bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by exvet
    He is currently suffering from severe laminitis and I'm doing all I can to get him back to a level where he is at least comfortable but may have to say goodbye soon if I'm not successful. He has been my "horse of a lifetime".
    I'm so sorry. Laminitis is such an ordeal for both horse and owner. I wish you the very best with him.

I can't imagine my barn without at least one Arab

Me neither ... but then I've got nine, so that's not too surprising.

I found the original post very informative and interesting. For myself, I can't imagine riding any of the enormous WBs at my barn. I like them and they're nice horses, just too big for me.

My Arabs are compact. willing and athletic as hell. The tallest one is just a little over 15h. They're also gorgeous and I love their personalities. But that's not what appeals to every horse owner. And I'm so glad it doesn't. I couldn't afford Arabians this nice if they were as popular as WBs.

how can it even be a discussion, and why does such a discussion even have to exist?

As an arab owner, I found it heartening that a WB rider finds them appealing. Thanks for the post. For those of you who found this discussion a waste of time, why are you posting on it? Move on, for crying out loud.
    Jennifer Walker
    Proud owner of Capt Han Solo+, Arabian stallion http://www.capthansolo.com
    Author, freelance writer http://www.authorjennwalker.com

Quote Originally Posted by slc2
    how can it even be a discussion, and why does such a discussion even have to exist?.
    Your first question doesn't make sense. To answer the second ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gucci Cowgirl
    I noticed that most people who have doubts about arans in dressage dont have any experience riding or training them, and most arabian supporters have little to no experience riding the big warmbloods. so I thought I would just put this out there. here are a couple pics...
    Where are those pics, GC? I'm sure slc will comment on them.

Ego-I don't think so. I think it's a matter of people realizing you can't judge individuals by breed (although the post above yours does have negative tones).
    I was replying to the post above mine. I don't think the OP intended it to disintegrate into the usual breedism but it always does.

Twinkltoz, move on? Are you the new hall monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by egontoast
    I was replying to the post above mine. I don't think the OP intended it to disintegrate into the usual breedism but it always does.

Twinkltoz, move on? Are you the new hall monitor?
    Awwww ... don't pick on Twink. She was replying to the post above hers.