The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default ok, connemaras again

ok, i know im doing this "again" but my family has been hit by the connemaras. My job is to find what everyone likes. Who the best studs are. What are the preferred crosses, like tb/connemara. is it true that in Europe people prefer the 3/4 connemara? (someone told us that) We are planning on buying a connemara stud in the near future. I know "Gunsmoke" is well known. We have the chance of getting a mare out of grange finn sparrow, with a Go bragh baby.

I know Erin Go bragh was an awsome event horse, but what are his babies like?

Of course i love grange, i have 1 of his babies...

I've been to gunsmoke's site, and we thought Balmulla's Beacon was nice..

So my question is: Who do you like? what are their babies like, and what lines would you look into if you were purchasing a stud?

thanks,
    cRc

(of course im not thinking of buying any of the studs mentioned,lol but may think of breeding some of our mares)

If you do a search on each of those stallions, you will find lots of comments.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Balmullo's Beacon has been gelded.

We recently imported our own stallion from Ireland - my family has been breeding Connemaras for 45 years there. Our Quietman was Inspected/Approved in Ireland and passed as only one of 15 stallions in his year (out of 100). He is extremely typey and his line is known for producing very athletic ponies.

His full brothers have won many shows in Ireland - full brother was Champion Foal 2005 at Clifden in Ireland (biggest Connemara show in the world beating 80+ entries). And his dam has done very, very well for herself as well. His sire Moy Hazy Cove had 7 class winners alone last year at Clifden.

Another stallion I like for breeding is *Kilfenora Windy Isles We owned his sire Windy Day in Ireland for 10 years and he's produced some very nice babies. The Connemara winner at Devon in 2005 was by him.

Another stallion I like (would give my right arm to have) is Wildwych Eclipse. He's from imported Australian parents. At age 3 he's already earned his Gold Medal in hand (100+ points) and his first foal out of a Hannoverian mare is just super.

Feel free to PM for any more questions
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

"Wost Case Ontario..."

I've owned Connemaras and produced a few crossbreds for over 15 years now, first as a personal project along with the warmbloods and now as the only equines I breed.

Because I bred ... and love ... the warmbloods and my preferred discipline is dressage, I have primarily been breeding the Connemara/warmblood crosses.

I think you will find as many ideas about what crosses well to the Connemara as you will find owners and breeders. I have always been pleased by the crossbreds that have some warmblood breeding, TB always seems to be a successful cross and I think to a great extent, the crosses that work best will also depend on what discipline they are going to be used for.

For me, the warmblood crosses are best for dressage potential. But the Connemara also puts a lot of "jump" into those crosses and they go well into eventing and hunters successfully, as do the TB crosses.

One of the stallions I highly recommend for dressage potential in the Connemara breed is Fergus, who is at the Big Bear Farm in Georgia. Although I've not bred to him myself, I've seen video of him and several of his offspring and am very impressed. Besides his dressage talent, I also like that he is definitely "pony" at 14.1 hands, which is something that you deal with in the Connemaras ... a lot of size in the background of some lines.

Default Connemara fan.

I enjoy reading each and all posts regarding connemaras. Keep them coming, and it just reminds me to keep in mind that nice nice Gunsmoke son here in Reddick, Florida.... just north of Ocala.

Quote Originally Posted by Hocus Focus
    I enjoy reading each and all posts regarding connemaras. Keep them coming, and it just reminds me to keep in mind that nice nice Gunsmoke son here in Reddick, Florida.... just north of Ocala.
    That would be Top Gun wouldn't it? For a yearling he's very, very mature I like him. I also like the other Connemara stallion that they have - Brogan I believe his name is.
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

thanks, i think ive looked at every connemara website in the u.s. I love alot of them...

we are breeding jumpers..

thanks ya'll keep it scomin

(oh it'd be nice if i got farm names to or websites)

Default Brogan, Top Gun, etc.

Yes Brogan and Top Gun, thats the farm. Are you sure he is only a yearling. I thought they said he was two. I was hoping he would be available for breeding next year. If he is only a yearling, I doubt he will be.

Brogan is more the traditional style and Top Gun is arguably too typey but in my opinion if you are breeding to sell, can they ever be too typey????

If all the required elements are there, eye appeal increases marketability. They also have a mare who is a real looker too. I must go again and see her. I am sure she has had her Brogan foal by now.

Hi CrC,
    It is my understanding that it is the 1/4 connemara that is popular in europeon Eventing and Show Jumping.

On another note having produced my first connemara x warmblood cross.. R. Moonshadow, I can personally share that I am quite pleased with the cross. To be brief, R. Moonshadow was bred to meet what we percieved as a demand for an 'all rounder' with the type, conformation and larger uphill movement necessary to compete successfully in a variety of disciplines. I think this cross worked because of the signifigant TB backbreeding in our Hanoverian Mare Palladia. It will be quite interesting to see the 2007 model Moonshadow will be heading out to W. Virginia in the Fall as I have already accepted a deposit on her.

I wanted to mention also that I also seem to have a strong preference for the decendents of Carna Bobby which I have in both our three year old Wildwych Eclipse and one year old Jack. Wildwych Eclipse has in his sire line Abbeyliex Finbar a three quarter brother to Irelands Coosheen Fin (sire of Grange Fin Sparrow) and Englands Leam Bobby Fin (Sire of Kirtling Brigadoon and Cocum Hawkstone). Jack on the other hand carries Carna Bobby through Domo Cavallo Praize of Australia. Domo Cavallo Praize has produced numerous outstanding performance ponies. Alternately, As the grandson of Castle Baron Jack also represents another of my favorites Abbeyliex Owen.

Now I'm just rambling! Best, Lisa
    PS. Sassenach I still owe you a video don't I!

I will probably be breeding my EGB daughter Lotty to Gunsmoke next week if all goes well. I love Ballywhim An Luan but he is to closely related to Lotty. Gunsmoke is a grandson of Bobby Brown, one of my favorite all time stallions.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Good luck Carol! I'll have fingers crossed for you
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

Talking

I love to hear about the lovely Connemara's. And I think I need that GFS mare with the EGB baby! Me Me Me..
    What I would LOVE is a Connemara mare for myself to ride around the farm on, which means she would have to be quiet.. and possibly to breed to AFR. I know I have been saying this for some time, but that day is coming!
    I know so very little about the bloodlines and thank you all for sharing your knowledge.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Just for the interest of this discussion....*Glenormiston Amelia (Domo Cavallo Praize x Glenormistion Clementine) has been confirmed in foal to Gunsmoke for April, 2007.
    Best, Lisa
    Redbud Ranch Connemara Sport Horses and Ponies
    http://www.goodpony.net

I think Luie also goes back to Abbeyliex Owen through Cuchulain---Rocky
    do I have that right?

Gunsmoke is awesome. I've been to his home in TN. and he is one gorgeous boy. I own a Conn/TB mare out of Balmullo's Beacon. She is a natural jumper. She jumps things in the pasture that other horses walk thru or around. The first time my daughter took her over a x-rail (mare's first time jumping with a human on her back), she took a nice spot and blasted right over. After doing that a few times, trainer had her take a 2 ft vertical, my mare jumped right over it without hesitating. But she won't be jumping with me--I'm focusing on dressage with her. She is a handful, very athletic, opinionated, and strong. My trainer thinks she would have been a great eventer.

Also own a Conn/Arab mare out of Concord River Roaringwater Bay. She is not as athletic as my mare, but she is beautiful, very well mannered, and can be trusted to behave. She is very smooth moving and makes your sitting trot look nice and easy. Has a pretty, huntery type jump-but is not overly confident and needs to be pushed at times.

Quote Originally Posted by goodpony
    Just for the interest of this discussion....*Glenormiston Amelia (Domo Cavallo Praize x Glenormistion Clementine) has been confirmed in foal to Gunsmoke for April, 2007.
    Best, Lisa
    Redbud Ranch Connemara Sport Horses and Ponies
    http://www.goodpony.net

I think Luie also goes back to Abbeyliex Owen through Cuchulain---Rocky
    do I have that right?
    Congrats Lisa!! Hope you have a safe pregnancy with her and healthy foal for next year
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

yeah!!!!!!!!! ok...

so we are breeding my cute qh mare (adorable) to Gunsmoke!!!
    and
    hopefully on August 8th we will be getting 2 mares. they are either connemaras or conn/tb, both out of grange finn sparrow, and bred to Aladdin's Denver!

the regional connemara show in our region was/is last yesturday. i wanted to go watch, but was unable to. (we are region 4) Im so excited.

(what do ya'll think of denver?)

Quote Originally Posted by equestrianrider
    yeah!!!!!!!!! ok...

and
    hopefully on August 8th we will be getting 2 mares. they are either connemaras or conn/tb, both out of grange finn sparrow, and bred to Aladdin's Denver!

the regional connemara show in our region was/is last yesturday. i wanted to go watch, but was unable to. (we are region 4) Im so excited.

Personally Denver is too big for me (my own personal opinion) at 15.1 that is NOT a pony in my books. Lots of bone (10 inches) and a nice stallion but too tall for me to ever consider him. Produces nice babies though, good luck with your foals!
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Sassenach
    Personally Denver is too big for me (my own personal opinion) at 15.1 that is NOT a pony in my books. Lots of bone (10 inches) and a nice stallion but too tall for me to ever consider him. Produces nice babies though, good luck with your foals!
    For those of us breeding half Connemaras the extra size can be an advantage.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by equestrianrider
    yeah!!!!!!!!! ok...

and

Congrats on your upcoming breeding to Gunsmoke. And you better hide the mares away, lots of folks love Grange Finn Sparrow's offspring! Alladin's Denver is awesome, I've seen some of his get, they are beautiful. Sounds like you are getting set up for some nice sport horses.

I just got back from the Region 4 show, it was smaller than usual due to the upcoming 50th anniversary show in VA. But there was a nice turn out of Connemaras and their owners. I took my 2 halfbreds this year. I have to brag about Penelope--she came in 2nd in the halfbred inhand 3 and older, then was invited back for the halfbred championship inhand and took the reserve champion ribbon. This is the same horse that was excused last year for leaping and rearing, we've come along way!