The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

nhwr, these are horrifying.

I don't know. As someone recently said to me, you can point fingers at any sport and say abuse. We say it about racing, racers could say it about Rollkur, saddle seat could say it about eventing. I don't see and end to it.

I just think if you value an animal, you take care of it to the best of your ability. I also think accidents happen, and you can make anything look really horrible by just showing one side.

That said, I feel extremely upset with the recent threads with some of the obvious abuses, dressage and otherwise.

At least our horses will never have to know any type of abuse, and I am not pointing fingers at any thing in particular. It is just hard to see horses that are clearly not happy. Thank God I was with professionals who truly loved their horses. Going to a show was more like taking the horse on an active vacation.

Bwahahaha! The last two are worth looking at all the others!
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

SillyHorse, I sense you aren't taking this seriously!
    How can we enslave our beloved horses and put them at risk this way? It is not right, I tell you. I don't know how you can fail to see that.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

michellec Guest

The last one resembles a horse I currently ride.
    How can I make it into my avatar?

NHWR - you must have been hiding in the water bucket, to get that last picture of my horse being mistreated! Damn you sneaky DQ's! I've been outed!

Thumbs up

WEll said Young filly!If carried too far it could easilybe sasked "Should we even ride horses?" but,look at all tthe advantages domesticated horses have over the mustangs for instance. We take good care of our horsesI 'll be tthat most ofus have "gone without " sothat we could afford "extras" for our horses.We try to learn what THEY like to do hough that may not have been our intent in buying them.We do the best we can, but let's face it "bad things " happen; I'm sure none of those riders intended for those accidents to happen.but,when we get on a horse we recognize tthat falling is a possibility.I think Young Filly,iswise for a youngfilly.and, we should all "pull together"
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Bwahahaha! The last two are worth looking at all the others!

Now now Sillyhorse, you've forgotten this is the thread where we (dressage riders) take the higher ground and go 'OH NO!! ' forgetting that these are merely snapshots and split seconds in life. Forgetting that this is the rarity and not the norm. Forgetting that bad things can happen to any horse. Forgetting that if a horse didn't want to event they wouldn't be competing at that level. Please now Sillyhorse just condemn and don't laugh. Ohh and don't forget that dressage NEVER ruins a horse never has its abuses never does anything cept promote horse welfare and wellbeing WE DRESSAGE RIDERS SHOULD RULE THE WORLD
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

I wish my horse could do that!
    "Do you care, or don’t you care? Because if you do care, you better speak up now or take what you get."
    — Denny Emerson www.savethe3day.org
    **proud member of the trakehNERD group**

Here the poll is low and the horse is beyond on the forehand. You don't have to see the look in its eyes to know the poor animal is terrified.

http://www.equinecentre.com.au/_imag...ment_falls.jpg

Next one, legs out behind, too much knee action, a violation of classical principles and using the board that way will probably draw blood.

http://thumb.shutterstock.com/photos...33610068,1.jpg

This one shows false engagement. Look, the horse's croup is actually above its withers.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...skye1/fall.jpg

Overflexed and deep. This horse must be in severe pain.

http://www.powellprotec.com/eu/image...e.accident.jpg

This type of lateral flexion is unnatural

http://www.equinature.com/Images/services_pic1.jpg

This horse is completely off the aids and probably terrified.

http://www.u5uk.com/you/carrinsure/i...GMQ-S/fall.jpg

This guy is unlevel and the purity of the gaits are clearly compromised.

http://taproot.dreamhosters.com/archives/Cart.JPG

Oh sure, it is fancy but how can it be said that this type of movement is a good thing.

http://www.dichtung-digital.com/2003...e-superman.jpg

I think it's ridiculus to say that those pictures are "cruelty". Accidents happen, and if you are trying to compare the falls in eventing to the cruelty of Rollkur that's crazy. The Rollkur horses look very forced and unhappy. Upper level event horses LOVE cross country. Sure they don't like to fall down, but it really doesn't happen that often. And as I said, bad accidents happen when the horse is loose in the field too. And I've seen some pretty bad trailer accidents. Does this mean that trailering horses is cruel?

Cruelty is FORCING the horse to do something he doesn't want to do, or doing something painfull to them. And no one can force a horse over a jump if they don't want to go.

And that last picture is clearly an edited photo. What's the point of that? I mean, it is funny, but it's not cruelty.

Oh, I get it. Was this because someone accused you of not having a sense of humor?

Thumbs down photo of Klimke abusing Ahlerich?

You knowthere photo, somewhere of Klimke with Ahlerich schooling at a show when it could be be said that he , Klimke is abusing the horse horribly, horses' mouth is open head up, eyes alarmed, and,he, klimke, appears to be standing up , and balancing on the horses ' mouth; does anyone have that pic? I think it may have the "Ahlerich:" book.
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Quote Originally Posted by lstevenson

And no one can force a horse over a jump if they don't want to go.
    That's true. No one can force horses to jump those big jumps and drops. I used to event and those horses really do love what they are doing or they don't do it for very long. Too much risk for the rider to try to force a horse to do that and get put in the hospital trying.... It's quite unlike some dressage training where the rider just cranks their nose shut, forces them into submission in an unnatural position, and the horse has little choice but to attempt to please their rider to get any respite at all.

This guy is unlevel and the purity of the gaits are clearly compromised.
    See I disagree, this is again a snap shot in time, how on earth can you say the purity of the gaits are compromised You can't see how he is trotting from one picture. Once again a DQ thinking that just because a horse (or in this case a donkey) isn't in a pretty dressage ring and happens to be upside down that it can't keep its gaits pure

Honestly who are we to judge from these snapshots.

http://taproot.dreamhosters.com/archives/Cart.JPG
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Oh, but of course, they wouldn't do these things without us making them! An old, grumpy lesson pony should be left out in the pasture to not move any faster than a shuffle if he feels that way!! We shouldn't ride with any tack since that is unnatural and hurts snookums the pony. We should all ride in harmony with our horses and not be cruel. uh oh, I feel a song coming on...........Boooorn freeeee! As free as the wind blows, as free as the graaass grows, born free to follow-umphg.......pony felt the need to do a 180, crowhop and leave rider in the dirt, but that's just fine since he feels that way and that movement was of his own volition, even the poll being lower than his withers, just a snapshot in time

Default Oh, right! claim the photos are fakes...

Horses do all the things they are doing here because of their generous nature and because we want to. After all, they don't tack themselves up. As stewards of these noble creatures, isn't it our responsibility to make their wellbeing paramount.

Saying these are just "accidents" or a moment in time is a cop out, isn't it?

JS Mom, I think you are just saying these things because he isn't a fancy WB with flashy gaits. It is your prejudice. Who would want a horse like that, anyway? Not me. A donkey is a much more servicable mount.

Here trolly, trolly, trolly... You just LOVE to stir the $#!& don't you nhwr?

Unhappy Is This a Joke????

Because if it is...I don't get what is so funny about eventing accidents.

I happened to see William Fox-Pitt's fall at Rolex this year and watched the horrible accident Michael Matz's Barbaro had at the Preakness and it still makes me sick to think about it!

If this is supposed to show humor...sorry, I think it is in very poor taste.

On the other hand, if this is to show that RK is OK because you can find ugly pictures in every discipline?

I still don't "Get It" These are photos (for the most part) of ACCIDENTS. True tragic MOMENTS.

RollKur is a Training Method in which a horse is held in a Hyperflexed position for a considerable period of time until he submits.
    There are numerous photos/videos/and first hand experiences showing this. None of which any of the defenders/practitioners of this method have been able to prove are doctored or false. Strange...