The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Anyone want to watch Anky's World Cup Kur ride online?

Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Thanks for the link!

Anyone want to watch Anky's world cup kur ride?
    Nope - can't say that I do. Sorry.

You gotta hand it to her. It was a beautiful ride.

Actually, I didn;t think it was that beutiful a ride: to me the horse looked very cramped, and lacking in 'throughness', not to mention at least too small bucks I saw! technically correct, perhaps, but in my eyes lacking in expressiveness and fluidity of movement.

It was a beautiful ride, my only two complains (not that I could do better, I just noticed them!) were in the extended trot and the halt. I loved the front end action and reach of the extension, but I thought the back end lacked a little in the reach department. I was also disappointed that they were unable to immobilize either halt. However, I liked more about the ride than I disliked and it doesn't matter to me that I disagree personally with some of her methods - I still love to watch!

I know this is just my eyes playing tricks, but does he look off on the right front at the walk or most likely I need glasses?

I don't do dressage or anything, but I do love to watch it, it is beautiful.

but does he look off on the right front at the walk or most likely I need glasses?
    I would say arhythmic, especially in the extended walk but not off. I thought I needed glasses too, then I thought maybe it was the quality of the video on my machine, so I'm glad you saw it too.

professor Guest

Default More flaws in this world record ride

I think that the boots of Anky didn't shine as normal

I don't get it? I don't get how anyone can say that wasn't a beautiful ride? Perfect, no but noone is! I don't see an unhappy horse and I didn't see any bucks. I did see a couple of transitions that weren't as smooth as they could/should be and I didn't see a halt.

I just don't get it. I get that lots of people don't like rollkur but I don't see how they can say that wasn't a nice ride.

Quote Originally Posted by professor
    I think that the boots of Anky didn't shine as normal
    Well, that would be the fault of her groom Maybe she needs a groom that is more anal and detail oriented like me! It's borderline OCD I swear...

Perhaps because people watching riding at this level want to see more than "technical correctness" or the judges version of it and more of the coming together of two partners to express the level and quality of their training in a co-operative and athletic partnership.

Which is more than "horse has been trained movements and rider can bring out the extravagence in the horses paces".

Which is why we "like" some rides that are obviously not going to win or place highly rather than others which are more technically demanding and have greater extravagance.

Please point me to a video link if you can, of the kind of ride that you like, unlike AvG? I am not trying to start something but I just don't understand how you don't see a partnership? I hear such bitterness and I want to understand.

Question Who was the guy

in the stands at the end??
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

well, i dont know.... i thought it was a very uninspiring ride. and salinerro looked very tired.

also, i think it was sabine who said that she was very grateful for the methods being used by some riders becuase it produces horses that are very bendable, supple etc.... but i did not see a laterally flexible/bendable/supple horse in this ride - in fact he looked board stiff. especially in the corners and HPs. and, he is markedly stiff on the left rein.

i did think the walk was better than most of the walks ive seen from them. she actually gave him a long rein without wide/low hands for a moment.

i guess that i dont see what happened in this ride that made it top scoring. is this score the best ever in the world??

and i did see some "errors", but since i hate that terminology being used in dressage then i wont go there. i will say that I have seen better rides.

Sannois, the "guy" at the end was Anky's husband and coach, Sjef Janssen.

Thank you, Sonesta, for posting the link

Actually - I think there's something funky going on in that right front too. I saw it in all gaits - and I can't put my finger on what it is - he may just be recovering from a stone bruise or something similar - but he's "less rythmic" at the walk than at the other gaits, where he's worse. Like I said - he may just be a hair off - and before anyone jumps all over me, I have routinely been a few days before the vet in detecting lameness (although...this was quite obvious).

It may also be his conformation. He appears to be very wide-breasted to a point of perhaps fault. I noticed in many gaits the legs did not land straight, but rather to each side.

I will not comment on the quality of Anky's ride - since she was obviously pleased by it. A few things I would change - but that is indeed armchair quarterbacking!

You do all realize that a constantly swishing tail in a performance horse is a very good indicator of tension and discomfort. This horse only shows some tail swishing in a few transitions and the canter pirouettes. To me this is a pretty good sign that this horse is performing mostly tension free. So is the nicely elevated tail. Another well known clinician, who's not associated with Anky in any way, once told me that this is a sign of a happy horse.

I understand the controversy around Anky's riding techniques and do have appreciation for the concerns, but I think we also have an obligation to be as objective as possible about new training methods and develoments.

I have yet to see one of her horses go into early retirement because he/she broke down due to the applied new training methods. Until something like this happens and becomes known I will continue to observe and evaluate this training method with an open mind.

iancleese Guest

well, i dont know.... i thought it was a very uninspiring ride. and salinerro looked very tired.
    finally, she admits it! she doesn't know! looking for nits to pick as usual when comfronted with something nice as heaven forbid she say something nice about the top rider in the world.

No one has said the R-word yet... Although it has been alluded to. Once that is said it'll turn into one of those atrocious threads that debates the topic for scores of pages. But that is why there is animosity towards her.