The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thumbs down I sure hope you pay your bills on time...

because your trainer deserves it for putting up with you. I suppose it never occurred to you that IF you would have taken the crop, given on well-timed correction with it, the horse might have been just fine and you could have worked on your lead changes? That you could have spent 10 minutes making sure the horse knew that you meant business and getting the feel for him, the progressed on to the changes? That NO ONE in their right mind would spend an entire lesson working on changes anyway because 99% of horses aren't physically up to it?

But you know soooooooo much more than your instructor, especially about THAT horse that you've never ridden before, that you REFUSE to carry a crop (why? as so many other people have asked) so in order to keep the horse from learning that he can really get away with murder your instructor has to use a lunge whip from the ground.

You are a spoiled, rotten little self-centered brat. Of course, we've been learning that on a lot of threads lately. I second whoever said that your instructor is a saint for putting up with you.

It is very common practice to use a horse in a lesson that needs to be re-schooled, if a rider is capable of it. It is very common practice to use sale horses, to give them mileage, in a lesson.
    There have been plenty of times I have said "Next week we will work on_____". Plans change, get over it.
    I can understand your frustration but not your whining. Obviously, if you did what your trainer told you to do maybe it would have gone a bit better. Why waste your money if you are not going to listen to her? She is the professional not you.
    Nobody's fault here but your own.
    As far as I'm concerned do what I say (b/c it's not like she was asking a heck of a lot from you.) or get the hell outta my ring!
    To ride or not to ride; what a stupid question!

You are paying your instructor to teach you to ride. Period. Knowing how to ride means being able to ride a variety of different horses with different personality types. A good rider can make any horse look good. If you are re-training OTTBs you really need to master the basics for your own safety.

I am curious why you didn't want to carry a crop? I've ridden lots of horses who are more forward just knowing I am holding a crop and 9 times out of 10 I've never even had to use it. It's a lot more humane than kicking the crap out of the poor thing, IMHO.
    If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my cats.

I guess I missed something..... why do I have a sneaky suspicion that the OP has rubbed some of the posters here on the BB the wrong way in previous threads?

Default I won't quote your last post because I think that you should edit it...

How about editing out your foul language at the bottom of your last post. Kids read this forum as well.

You may have found "financial freedom" but you're exhibiting moral bankruptcy.

I think the best thing you could do would be to take up another sport.

That's the ticket to happiness for you. You'll never find it with horses.

Quote Originally Posted by alysheba

And for whoever made the "financially free at 29 comment, why don't you take a look at my business plan and figure out what kind of effort and balls it takes to build my business to that level-THAN try and talk shit. If it were that EASY than wouldn't EVERYONE be at that financial level? I am proud of my accomplishments, cuz I went thru the trenches to get there. Instead of ripping on me, why don't you PM me and I can show you how to do it to.
    [emphasis mine]
    I just want to interject here that you never seem to miss an opportunity to "invite" others to learn how you became financially independent at the age of whatever. Sounds like... hmmmm.... Amway?

To get back to the subject at hand, why don't you fire your instructor and find one that will only tell you what you want to hear, one that will only ask you to do what you want to do, and then when things fall apart, will stand there and let you blame her, the horse, the alignment of the planets, the clothes you are wearing, and the relative humidity for your problems.

And why won't you carry a crop?
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

[QUOTE=alysheba](sigh)

Ok, I'm not going to keep trying to defend myself, but if at the end of my lesson last week my instructor says "Ok, next week we are going to start working on lead changes"

Then the lesson comes and she puts me on a horse that hasnt been ridden in months, and I believe doesnt even KNOW lead changes. She didn't tell me before the lesson that this horse hadn't been ridden in months.... How is this ok?

I paid her to reschool her horse on basic riding commands. You wouldn't be upset about that? Isn't that kind of like paying for spanish lessons and the teacher teaches you french?

That was NOT a schooling horse. If I wanted to teach basic commands to a pasture sour horse, there are a dozen at my boarding stable I could ride for free. She was USING me to get her horse into selling shape, and apparently a lot of other students of hers feel the same way. And there are some hard core riders that she instructs- not princesses. And no I didn't learn anything new at that lesson. Not anything I haven't done 100 times on retraining basic commands to my rescued OTTB's.

Maybe I did not explain it correctly, maybe I did whine to much (I am pretty upset at the news I learned) but I'm telling you, what she did was not to benefit my riding skills.

[QUOTE]

She changed her mind.

I have been put on plenty of horses like this in lessons. They are her horses and it is ultimately her decision who to put you on.

So, let me get this straight, if she had said "next week, you are going to learn how to get a more difficult horse to go forward and move off of your leg", would you have said no?

Boy, if she was using you to school her horse, I bet she feels jipped, it dosen't sound like you did a very good job!

Again, I say to you that any farm with a lesson program uses students to school, fit up, and with better students, retrain the horses. Is this a surprose to you? Who do you think will do it?

As another poster pointed out, fell free to go to another trainer, but what did you really hope to accopmlish by slamming your trainer in a public BB?

Quote Originally Posted by hitchinmygetalong
    [emphasis mine]
    I just want to interject here that you never seem to miss an opportunity to "invite" others to learn how you became financially independent at the age of whatever. Sounds like... hmmmm.... Amway?
    Becauuuuuuuuse, hitchinmygetalong, that's how pyramid schemes work.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

[emphasis mine]
    To get back to the subject at hand, why don't you fire your instructor and find one that will only tell you what you want to hear, one that will only ask you to do what you want to do, and then when things fall apart, will stand there and let you blame her, the horse, the alignment of the planets, the clothes you are wearing, and the relative humidity for your problems.
    Oh, c'mon hitch - you know she's probably been through all that type of instructor in her area, and is now stuck with someone with the temerity to actually want to teach her something!
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

http://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/...d/pyramids.htm

ETA: Just general information about pyramid schemes. Nothing implied, really
    Still Crazy After All These Years

Man. If I were an instructor and someone were whining about this, I'd hand them a straw and tell them to suck it up.Learning to ride means... learning to RIDE. Shocker!
    When I was really little, I complained about being made to ride a certain slow poke school pony that nobody could get to go. My mom part-leased him for a summer and I had to ride him nearly every day. By the end of that summer I could get him to canter from a halt, do flying changes, and jump full courses pretty durned nicely. And it wasn't the pony that changed. Difficult horses make us better people.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by LSM1212
    I guess I missed something..... why do I have a sneaky suspicion that the OP has rubbed some of the posters here on the BB the wrong way in previous threads?

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...ad.php?t=47964

I direct you to post #8 on the above-referenced thread.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Quote Originally Posted by alysheba
    Instead of ripping on me, why don't you PM me and I can show you how to do it to.
    And here I sit still waiting for enlightenment ... a week now is it?

To the thread's point ... I can empathize with your discouragement. Take whatever creativity got you financially secure and apply it to your riding. Did you get rich by whining? I think not.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...ad.php?t=47964

I direct you to post #8 on the above-referenced thread.
    Ahhh... okay. I don't visit the Hunting Forum but to browse on occasion. Figured I'd missed something.

Hitch - I love you, but you knew that.

A close friend of mine was venting to me a couple weeks ago about a student of hers who claimed she was only being used to school the horses. My friend was ticked to say the least, and she's on her own private mission to instill humility in the child who made the claim. We joke about the guilty pleasure she gets out of seeing this kid struggle, but you know what? It's paying off in the form a better rider. For the moment, this little girl has no idea she's improving because she's too busy complaining about having to work so hard. It's also cut down on some of the massive ego she had going. (Halleluja!!!!) The funny thing is, your attitude sounds exactly like her. I can only hope your instructor is as interested in your proper development as a rider, in which case, you should look forward to the challenges.

As for rehabbing OTTBs and training greenies and such, you'll have to forgive me for being really damn confused. There is no mystery behind flying lead changes. It's a fairly basic thing with a horse that does them. Teaching a green horse to do them can have its complications, but riding them on a made horse? I fail to see why learning lead changes is such a big deal to such an accomplished rider.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisper

Getting a horse to move forward, when either the horse is having a bad day, or one's body is giving it mixed messages is *much* harder than getting a well-trained horse to do a flying lead change.
    Yes, you are right. I suppose I was so put off by her attitude I didn't state my case well.

If a student refused to carry a crop, or whatever, with me, they could find another instructor. I didn't care how much I might have needed the money at the time, I wasn't a babysitter.
    Life is short, do it now. www.dleestudio.com
    OTTB's
    My CANTER cutie, Steely Dan - IL
    My Exceller cutie, Ace (aka FiftyThreeCards)- NY

I'm sorry, but if you go to your trainer's barn and use one of your trainer's horses for a lesson, then you take what you get and deal with it. I would NEVER complain to or about my trainer for putting me on a less than desireable mount (sale horse or school horse)!!! And then to refuse to use whatever equipment (crop, spurs, etc.) my trainer tells me to use?!? Yeah....that'll go over well!!!!! And I know for a fact that my trainer would NOT spend the entire lesson chasing the horse around with a lunge whip!!!!!!

If you don't like the horses your trainer puts you on and you are financially wealthy, then I suggest you buy the perfect, easy to ride mount and either board it at your trainer's or trailer it in for lessons.
    Honey badger don't give a sh!t.

On behalf of the riding instructor, I just want to comment... I've been known on a lot of occasions to mention we'll be working on "x" next week. Admittedly, I frequently have to change plans for a variety of reasons - someone else who's usually in that lesson group can't make it (invariably the one I'd thought could benefit from the topic most!), my schoolmaster is sore/can't handle the heat/needs the evening off/etc., the weather isn't what I expected (no one wants to work in the dressage arena in storms or practice lead changes in 100+ degree heat), or I discover in the lesson's warm-up activities that a rider just isn't ready or the horse just isn't mentally in a good place that day. Things happen. There are a lot of riding instructors out there with climate-controlled enclosed arenas and an extensive string of well-trained schoolmasters ready to do your bidding. I find that with what a lot of them charge, a lot of those instructors are willing to do what you want to do, when you want to do it, whether or not you're ready. If that's what you're after, find one. From some of the comments here, it sounds like you can afford it.

Most of us are making the best of what we have - school horses with varying talents, faults, and lessons to teach; limited help in the barn and exercising the horses; weather conditions that to some degree affect our lessons, whether from limiting our arena choices, altering our horses' turn-out schedules, or affecting the horses' moods (hot and humid weather = lazy horse, windy and storm weather = nervous horse, etc.). Some weeks I'm on the schoolies several days, some weeks I'm fortunate to ride them once. Planning a lesson becomes something of an equation: Horse A + Rider B + This Week's Situation = Lesson Plan. Multiple riders in a lesson just further complicates it. Sometimes something changes in that equation, and last week's plan doesn't work for this week. Sometimes I have a week for better judgment to visit me and I change my mind. On occasion, a rider steps out of the car with a certain demeanor, and I figure out in a hurry that the plan better change.

The point of all this rambling? It's not easy for your instructor. Whatever her intentions, it seems she made a bad judgment call, if only because you claim to have learned nothing from the experience. Apparently defying her request for you to carry the crop and then having to spend the lesson time chasing the horse with a lunge whip wasn't sufficient punishment for that bad judgment call. Now she needs to be berated on a public forum. If the lesson was a mistake she made with the best of intentions, this is really rather harsh; if she was, indeed, using you to your detriment, it's an ineffective way to handle the problem.

For the record... I do have some of my more advanced students put miles on some of my greenies in lessons if they agree to do so. Why? Generally, I know the horse is doing fine with me; I need to see what he'll do with someone else, so I pick someone whose ability and riding style I know well (hence choosing a student). My students usually gain a lot from this, even if the horses prove to be frustrating or challenging. If I can tell a student is frustrated or disappointed, I'll usually offer a free lesson or practice ride to thank them for their effort. If a student has the courage to approach me and admit their feelings of frustration or inadequacy following one of these "greenie" lessons, I always offer a free lesson.

My guess is that you'd be much better served by expressing your feelings to your instructor than bashing her on a public board. Riding instructors generally don't want everything to be easy, but we do want our students satisfied with their lessons. You're paying her. If you aren't satisfied with how your money was spent, she should know about it. If nothing else, you'll be able to hear her side of the situation. It may prove enlightening.