The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I've got a number of draft crosses, but my biggest one at 17.1 is getting the most work right now. We went to our second dressage show and got 1st and 3rd with a 69 and 68.5% scores. Only intro, but he's getting the idea of showing. http://www.draftymanor.com/kanuk/ to see my handsome Kanuk.

The other one I'm working is pretty small at 15.2 and quite light. It's very strange to go from one to the other. The little guy has been roading and trail riding at the kennels to see what he'll think of fox hunting. So far, so good. http://www.draftymanor.com/mo/ to see some older pictures of him.

During the summer my main ride is off from fox hunting and resting in the field. He's the one I'll have forever. http://www.draftymanor.com/thuy/

Jennifer

Jennifer, I have to say that when I was first considering buying Wendall I was googling drafts and I found your site. I LOVE reading your stories about the horses and what you are doing with them. Thank you so much for sharing them! And they are wonderful horses!

Everyone has such lovely horses! I keep giggling at the fact that the more I look at the drafties, the funnier the *really* light horses start looking. Can those things even walk without falling apart? *grin* Is it just me?

Belgiandraftpaint, Fairy is awesome about our fences! As you can see, our fences were torn down by tornadoes last August. We've been putting off fixing them. So, when Fairy got here, she wanted to get through the fence to be with her new love, SillySunny, the Quarter Horse. She actually put her foot in the other pasture and did not panic when she broke the fence. She looked down and said, "It's ok if I break the fence, my mom will fix it anyway". I thought it was FANTASTIC that she did not panic!

My DH fixed the fence the weekend after - SillySunny and Fairy are inseparable! What a sight to see! I'll have to take a picture of them!

Aww, all horses look so terrific!
    Will get a dream horse!
    More riding, swimming, and rowing, less posting

Belgianpaintdraft,

I saw a picture of your Percheron and was reminded of two Percheron mares at an auction. I wanted to bring them home but couldn't... but those two mares need a lot of TLC!!! Your mare look so much better than those two! Why is your name Belgianpaintdraft? I had cab so pardon for my foggy mind.

Please ladies, I'd loooooovvveeee to see more pictures and stories about your drafts!
    Will get a dream horse!

I'm always happy to oblige

Wendall today discovered deerflies. Now, how he had been able to escape the clutches of the dreaded fly in the past boggles my mind, but apparently he had. He was out grazing in his little temporary paddock when I saw his head come up abruptly. Then the ears pinned and he kicked his belly. Then he spun in a circle. Then he kicked his belly again. Then he took off bucking!!! This was the most action I'd ever seen out of this horse.

So after watching him trying to escape the fly for awhile, I finally took pity on him and took him out of the pasture. I thought perhaps we would graze in the upper lawn, which should be relatively flyless. Oh no, I think Wendall brought the fly with him. He kept heading for me as if *I* could do something about it. I had already put fly spray on him - sorry buddy, I think that's the best I can do.

He remembered his lesson from yesterday and walked and trotted in both directions on the longe, with only a little coaxing needed to the right. It's like this horse learns BETWEEN his lessons. Amazing. Then we went for a walk, and to graze some more, and that d*mn fly (or maybe it was another one, I don't know, I don't recognize flies very well) kept biting him causing him to try to leap into my arms to escape said fly.

I gave up, since he's got to way at least 1100 lbs right now, and last I checked I could only lift about 40.

So we headed back up the lane, and went back to try the pasture again. I doused him again with some flyspray and put the flymask on for the first time. No worries - even the velcro sound was okay. He's not keen on ear handling though. We tried again, and he did finally settle and start eating.

Now, at the moment I am waiting (not very patiently) for my electric fencing that I ordered to get here. What I have, right now, is most appropriately called a ghetto fence. Wendall must be observed at all times when he is in the ghetto fenced pasture since basically it's about as dangerous as it gets. I have strung longe lines all around the top of the posts (they are barbed wire) to keep him off of them, and he has learned that me clapping my hands madly at him and growling "get off that fence", means he ought to get off that fence post-haste. The one portion of the ghetto fence was all curled back in the underbrush, so I have it tied to the end of the barn to form a crude gate for this paddock. It's that square livestock fencing stuff - you know, the stuff that hooves fit right through (not Wendall's though - his are wayyyyy too big). Wendall keeps thinking he can get through that area - he knows that it's not hooked up, or something, because that's the area I constantly have to shoo him away from.

In order to distract him from said area (or at least camoflauge it a little) I hung my swimsuit serape from the longe line, hoping that the tassels would at least convince him to leave it alone. But not my Wendall, no, he's so very brave. He went over and with a flourish, bit my serape and threw it into the mud. I went over to retrieve it before it got further damaged and as I was flapping it about to get all of the leaves and mud off, I noticed that Wendall wasn't even flinching - he was just kind of looking at me like - what the heck is wrong with you. Of course, the next logical thing to do in my mind is to rub him all over with the serape, eventually ending up draping it over his back like a saddlepad. He looked grand, in his tassels and flymask, but I think he thought he couldn't move because he stood rooted to the spot. Either that, or he was mortified at the outfit mama had chosen for him. I went into the barn and tried to sucker him to me with a treat. No such luck. He looked at me like - no way jose, I am rooted to this spot with the invisible lines of the serape.

I gave him his peppermint treat and led him by the flymask over to the other corner of the paddock - see Wendall? You can walk with that on your back. He was still unconvinced. He did, however, cock his leg and start to fall asleep, so I'm sure that he was unperturbed about the whole concept. I leaned on him and thumped his other side. The only thing he did was to look at me and say - you're nuts, but you're nice, hey do you have any more treats?

Pity overwhelmed me and I had to take it off finally to save his fashion identity. He looked relieved, and grazed for another hour or so. Then I brought him back in for food. He's so good, he stands to be caught (wonder how long that's going to last *snicker*). He wore his bit and caveson today, but I didn't bother with the surcingle since that obviously doesn't bother him at all.

Groomed him and picked out his feet and left him alone. Good pony. I can hardly believe that he's 3. He is telling me, however, that he wants the fencing put in NOW, and it had better be up to Wendall spec.

Mine is a 2 year old PMU baby. He is out of a Belgian mare by a paint/Clydesdale cross - what a mix! Anyway, he is very cute and very sweet. I love him lots although at this point I just play with him. He seems to have a good "go" button though so I think he will make a nice riding horse.

http://www.grovestreet.com/jsp/onepic.jsp?id=1163941

Default To answer your question

Prieta,
    I will explain my username. My crossbred Mike was at a show when he was a yearling. I was cleaning him up and this snotty woman came over and asked what he was. So, I explained that he was out of a belgian quarter horse mare and that his dad was a paint. She said "A BELGIUM PAINT WHAT? (notice the mispronounced Belgian) and it stuck. So, when people ask me what Mike is, I reply a "belgianpaintwhat?"
    Thanks for the compliments on my Perchie. He is a 16 year old gelding and a fine gentleman. He packs me all over the farm.

Quote Originally Posted by OakesBrae
    The only thing he did was to look at me and say - you're nuts, but you're nice, hey do you have any more treats?
    Hilarious tale..and THAT is why we love to love our draft crosses!

But finding tack that fits can be an interesting challenge. I just figured out that my big mule wants a 6.5" bit. Good luck finding a Continental gag (the bit she goes best in with least contact required) that size. But find one I did...as well as a lot of other "big" bits....from the seller DRAFTTACK on ebay. Very satisifed with the price, value, and customer service from this seller, but the way. And she is in Powhatan VA, so those of us in this neck of the woods can visit her "warehouse" (read: house!) just by making an appointment.
    I ride a mule. I paint dogs.

I just went back in this thread to look at all the pics, they are great! So many lovely animals...it's really fun to see them all.

Jenniferkey: I said I'd never have horses again, but your Kanuk could easily change my mind about that. He is lovely lovely lovely. If you win the lottery and decide to become a philanthropist, please send him to me in VA as a "favor to a friend" You are such a nice rider...I always enjoy your pages about your horses' progress and adventures.
    I ride a mule. I paint dogs.

Prieta, your Fairy looks just lovely. And PMU mom, your guy looks very people-oriented. Drafts often seem to really want to please their people.

As for mine, I'd love to ride the smaller of the two sometime. My dressage saddle fits her. My old riding mare was part Clyde, hence the wider saddle. But for now, the team and I just putter about, harrowing the pasture, moving some firewood, or going out to field days where we do plowing or discing.

My oldest daughter took a huge ball out to the pasture to play with our horses. Sillysunny, the Quarter horse just took a look at it and resumed eating. Abby, the Arab mare freaked out at the sight of the ball and went running away! Fairy, the Clydesdale filly took the ball and kicked back at my daughter who was so delighted to be able to play with her!

My husband who telecommutes has his eyes on the pasture everyday told me yesterday that Fairy stood at the gate waiting for someone to come out to take her out for a play. Usually, Fairy would stay with Sillysunny. But, this time Fairy waited for me or my daughter at the gate. Ahhhhh!

Anymore stories???
    Will get a dream horse!

Quote Originally Posted by Prieta
    Fairy, the Clydesdale filly took the ball and kicked back at my daughter who was so delighted to be able to play with her!
    Oooh, maybe she can try out to be in the next Budweiser Super-Bowl Commercial! She can be the place kicker
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Have to tell on Tank....:

The farm owner converted a small barn into a run in earlier this year
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/...15305252OoYUJA

Both of them stand in there during the heat of the day and hang out. When we show up to feed in the evening, Penny (aka: The Equine Chow Hound) comes trotting out immediately. Tank just stands there and looks at us. I whistle, say "Come on Tankers", etc. but she still stands there staring at us.

We enter the gate and dump The Chow Hound's feed first. Suddenly you feel the ground shake and hear the thunder as she comes CHARGING out of the run in for her supper.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...15305252IqPtRt

She does this now almost every evening..just for fun!

What a goober.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Hahahaha - ChocoMare, Tank sure can get going where food is concerned!!

Wendall is the same way - as I clean his stall his two concerns are "are you going to take my hay" and "what the heck are you doing with the feed bucket". He'll trot back into the stall from his turnout (the most independently motivated to move that I ever see him) just to make sure that I'm not doing anything shady.

Plow Beast has two of the rubber feed pans, because I typically can't find at least one at feeding time. They make great equine frisbees! And the stock tank? Don't get me started. My mom calls it "treasure hunt" when she has to walk the 6 acres trying to find where he hid it.

I'm lending one of my Belgian/Welsh crosses to the huntsman this year. She's also got another of my Belgian crosses out at the kennels right now for training. Anyway, I got a call from her that she didn't see Thistle, and then he was walking out of the kennel building (hound food, fridge, sink, bathroom, small building on slab for general kennel stuff). Well, Mo saw that and had to walk through, too (it has two doors that she leaves open for a breeze).

She thought it was cute. I told her that she needed to keep the doors closed when they were grazing in that area, because they'd make a mess.

So, the next day she calls. She couldn't see either horse and went searching and they were both in the kennel building. One was sweeping the floor with the broom and the other was trying to turn on the faucet. Out they went. When she closed the doors, Thistle went and worked on the door knob to see if he could get in anyway. Luckily he wasn't able to.

She says it really nice to have them out there, because it's so entertaining to watch their antics.

Jennifer
    www.draftymanor.com

Quote Originally Posted by jeniferkey
    ...One was sweeping the floor with the broom and the other was trying to turn on the faucet.
    Well at least they were helping to clean up. Gee, where can I get Horsey Janitors?

I usually just lurk, reading, learning, and sometimes laughing. I have 3 Belgians, a 13 year old Gelding, 8 year old mare, 2 year old filly, and now a yearling thoroshire cross. My gelding most of the time has a fairly rough trot, though I have gotten him to relaz quite a bit and when he relaxes and gets his head out of the air he smoothes out ALOT and his trot is much more comfortable. My mare is a really nice ride, nice english or western, you can actually sit very comfortably to her trot, and she has a nice canter. Filly is out for driving training, but, will be trained to drive also. Though I have been really trying to get more into the driving, working with my fillies trainer, my heart is really in riding more than driving. Though I will do a bit of driving, I will ride more like I want. Now the new guy who I have had for almost two weeks, is SO much different since I have had just the drafts for a while. He is really good to work with but he seems to be super sensitive. I really like him alot, and he has really grown on me in the short amount of time I have had him.

I have found myself really thinking about taking lessons again. I haven't taken lessons in over 20 years since I was a teenager, and I think I am ready to take that step and get rid of my bad habits which I have acquired.
    I love my drafts.

Well OldLedge, we are honored that your very first real post on COTH was with us.

Now, you simply must do something about the lack of pictures. We must see these lovelerly beasties

Thank you for the welcome, though, turning 40 this year am I really middle aged???? Maybe that is why my thermostat is stuck on HIGH.

This is my mare
    http://image06.webshots.com/6/0/42/9...5rxAgxi_ph.jpg

My gelding
    http://pic11.picturetrail.com/VOL387...2/51600121.jpg

My filly a couple of months ago at training
    http://pic11.picturetrail.com/VOL387.../138514250.jpg

The new guy
    http://pic11.picturetrail.com/VOL387.../151506349.jpg

Thanks again for alot of great reading.