The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

I'm besides myself on happiness about those stories!!! Hey, how many of you have come across a book about how we live with drafts???

My farrier who also owns 20 something Belgians was when I told him that my brother in law fox hunts on his 17.3 Clyde. that will help to break the steorotype about the drafts!

How many of you would rather read a "paperback" style book than a pictorial coffee table type book? I confess I'd go for the paperback because I have this much money to spend and I want to get that darn book right now!
    Will get a dream horse!
    More riding, swimming, and rowing, less posting

Personally, I don't think we should focus on rescues or heartwrenching tales. I'm loving Oakesbrae's tales of Wendell and JSwans suggestions. One of my favorite stories of Ned was just a standing around the barn tale.

We had just brought Ned home and had him on the cross-ties while we stood around and admired him. He was fine with this while being brushed or touched, or worked on, but eventually we were chatting among friends and (in his opinion) ignoring him. Something obviously had to be done.

Ned started pawing. NO! He stops and looks at us. We continue talking. He starts pawing again. NO Ned! He stops, looks at Barb, looks at me and lowers his head so the lead across his neck drops to the ground. He picks up the end in his mouth and hands it to Barb.

Couldn't have been more clear... our first lesson in draft mentality...

If you aren't going to do something with me, then turn me out or put me in the stall. I don't have all day to waste standing around here while you talk!

Default Amazed at my Draft's strength and mind

I am a Shire owner, and I absolutely love her. She is magestic and beautiful, as well as being matronly and safe.

My story happened on the trail. We were out on a short ride one evening after work last fall. I took her down a wooded path, near a creek. The ground was soft, because it has rained recently. She seemed to sense something wasn't right with the footing, and didn't want to go on. She turned around, I was a little annoyed because I thought she was just being pig headed, but she really had a reason. As soon as we turned around, the footing gave way under her back legs. She started to slip, and I thought we were going to go down in the creek. With all of her might, she pulled herself out of it, with me on her. She is so strong, she just pulled us out and saved us.

A horse's instinct is there for a reason. So many times we say they are just "skittish and unpredictable," but they do really have a sixth sense.

I love our draft mare.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dora.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	11191  
    One of a Kind Studio
    Fine Art Paintings, Horses, Dogs, Wildlife and anything else that inspires.

New convert to the cow horse world.. love my QH mare.

Drive NJ, you got that right!!!! we want a more personal story like yours vying for your attention! that story will fit in one page.

La Gringa, that story is great as well! He reminds me of my Fairy yesterday. She was bothered by flies so much that she couldn't stand still but she didn't want to bulldoze over me. Fairy looked at me to be sure that I would not be knocked down.

Few people asked about how my intended audience is....after reading this postings and talking with people, the audience will be those people wanting a very light reading that will help to make their day. We want BROAD audience!

I gotta print out those stories!!!!!
    Will get a dream horse!

What little I know about showing in draft shows I learned from the lovely lady who bred MuleLady's draft mules. She's just a real gem, very willing to share her knowledge with anyone who'll listen. Someone asked about draft lines with less knee action, and maybe MuleLady will chime back in - I know that Emma's dam and Emma's full draft half-sister had more of a long and low way of going to her, but I don't recall her lines.
    That would be Kathy of Retreat Belgians and yes, she is wonderful and generous with her knowledge, and she breeds magnificent athletic Belgians. She has such an educated eye for conformation. Emma's dam is Pine Grove Connie, sold to some folks in PA. I will confirm that Emma is a daisy cutter type mover; her full brother Little John who is also mine is a bit more active in his joints when he trots/canters, but no high knee action there either.

Here's my draft (mule) story:

I bought a saddle to use on my mule John (when and if I ever get him started!) and rode in it once on Emma to see if it fit me. Seemed an okay fit for her and she didn't complain or act uncomfortable during our 15-20 minute test ride. However, as much as I loved the way that saddle felt, it sat on Em so differently from how HER current saddle fits that I dismissed any idea I might be able to use it on her. I didn't want to repeat the bad fitting saddle scenario we went through a year or so ago due to my ignorance (the constant reminder of which are the white patches on Em's back).

Anyway, it'd been a couple of months now since I tried the new saddle on her and I got to thinking, well, maybe I will just put it back on her and reassess the fit...because I would love to ride in it. So right before we left for a trail ride the other morning, I sat it lightly on her back, no pad or girth.

Well. I no sooner had it on her than she PROMPTLY pinned her ears and nipped my arm--something she NEVER does! I normally don't tolerate such behavior but this was SO clearly a message, I just had to laugh. She simply chose to skip the courteous language that I am sometimes too thick to hear and cut right to the chase. The new saddle went back in the tack room, but I did wonder if her reaction was due to being sore from the previous day's ride. Nope. When I saddled her with HER saddle not an hour later, she never flicked an ear.

The combination of draft sensibility and mule smarts makes for one interesting critter...I am just thankful she can't speak English. I'm not so sure I'd want to hear her opinions on certain issues, LOL!
    I ride a mule. I paint dogs.

My draft is a registered belgian and is wonderful..she rides and logs, pulls a cart or buggy, does a little dressage, trail rides..basically anything she has ever been asked to do - she does. Of course she is convinced she cannot canter under saddle - lol..but we know better!!

Molly is 18 hands and weighs 2,000 lbs and wears a size nine warmblood plate...we have had her 8 years now and won't part with her. her best friend is a half belgian mule named Pumpkin and except for the ears...they look like twins with the same coloring and of course Pumpkin is smaller!

here are a few pics - the first is Molly and me logging my farm - she had a colt (her only one as she was bred when I bought her and I sold the colt later in the year); the second is Molly just hanging out by the barn eating (her favorite pastime):

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...y/mollyme1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...r/37ddfdad.jpg

and for the mulelady: Pumpkin the Wonder Mule..cause she's wondaful

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...r/ccb761ff.jpg

Molly is pretty but I LOFF PUMPKIN!!! What a noble and beautiful draft mule! But then, I am partial to them.
    I ride a mule. I paint dogs.

Although I'm around 21 percherons pretty much daily, I do have one in particular that is very close to my heart.

My 5yo percheron stallion and Poo (Bear.)

On the 31st my g/f and I went to visit Ben at the trainer's. He'd been there 11 days and this was her 4th ride on him (he had all of last year off.) While taking Ben to the arena, we discovered her mini stallion had escaped and was in the yard (no big deal as the property is all fenced and the gate was closed), and he proceeded to follow Ben into the arena to help w/ schooling. We couldn't get him to leave, so he stayed.
    http://www.amerrickndream.com/images/benpoo531.jpg
    http://www.amerrickndream.com/images/benpoo531b.jpg

After checking each other out, it was time to get to work. It was so hard to control the laughter and take pics.

A little Pas de deux? hehe It was performed at the trot, but Poo had trouble keeping up and would cut right in front of him to slow him down. He eventually gave up and went and stood in the far corner until they were done.
    http://www.amerrickndream.com/images/pasdedeux531.jpg

As soon as they were done, Poo quickly ran over (quick in his mind anyway), followed Ben out and enjoyed a snack together.
    http://www.amerrickndream.com/images/benpoosnack531.jpg
    http://www.amerrickndream.com/images...osnack531b.jpg

It felt great to laugh and I was glad I went.

L.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

Oh, dear all! those stories got me smiling and laughing! I'd love to have them fleshed out! Can you please either submit the story or just give us the permission to write a longer story about what you just posted? They just have to be published!
    Will get a dream horse!

Default Piper and the duck

I'd always wanted a large draft horse and early this year my husband and I bought 'Piper'. So named because my husband really would have preferred an airplane... and I didn't want to name the horse 'JumboJet', Anyway Piper is a 15 month old registered black Percheron filly with an absolutely amazing personality and a true ability to play soccer. Two weeks ago we added some chickens and two Muskovy ducks to the barn. The chickens for eggs, and the ducks for fly control. The barn owner tells the story like this... She looked out the door towards the manure pile and saw something flying through the air. She assumed that Piper had found a feed pail and was playing with it. She realized, as she saw Piper, pawing at it, kicking it, and seeing it flying through the air AND QUACKING that it wasn't a pail but it was a duck. Unfortunately by the time she shouted at Piper, Piper had stood on it... no more duck. Although apparently Piper looked at her with a face that said... "can you get me another one, this one doesn't want to play anymore?"

Default Oh oh, remembered another story

When Piper, an 11 month old Percheron filly, was first delivered to our farm it was an early evening in January. She was big (REAL BIG) - did I mention that it was a farm of mostly Arabians? I led her off the trailer and into the barn and into a large box stall. We watcher her for about an hour, and then went out to dinner. After dinner we went back to make sure she's settled down okay and found her lying down sleeping in her stall. I talked to her, let her know that I was there, slowly opened the door, talked to her some more, she stayed lying down. I managed to go in, lean down beside her, feed her an apple, scratch her neck, head and shoulders and she still didn't get up. Not only was she calm and collected but as I was scratching her she let out this big sigh, and literally would have laid her head down in my lap. The temperment of the big guys just can't be beat. Whether its grooming, or training or something as noisy as clippers, she's just mellow and eager to please. In reality she could be a really really large labrador retriever.

Default Drafty Mom reporting from WA

Hey Ladies!
    My name is Kerry and I acquired a lovely Belgian/QH cross mare as a yearling in 2004. I recently started her under saddle with the help of my trainer and I am so pleased to be doing this on my own. She's my first "greenie." Her name is Olive. She is a quiet, yet mischevious little thing. We've developed a nice bond and she is a very willing participant in just about everything I've asked of her. Lucky me! She is athletic, brave, and loves a good belly scratch.
    The latest--going nicely forward at all gaits. We're working on transitions right now and getting out weekly for local trail rides. Next summer we'll be heading out for senior hopeful HT's with our eye on BN by 2008. I just joined Area VII so will volunteer to get acquainted with the local events and meet some other adult riders.
    I found Olive at www.draftsforsale.com . When I went to look at her I was told she was a Foalquest baby out of Alberta. I wasn't looking for a PMU, but hey it was fate. Truthfully, it was an impulse buy! But probably the best decision I've ever made...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1174_resize.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	186.0 KB 
ID:	11196