The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default DRAFT/DRAFT CROSS OWNERS...Book In the Works & We Need Your Draft Horse Stories?....

As I mentioned in the other thread, Wendall has arrived and is absolutely a dream. He's 1/4 percheron, 1/4 Quarter Horse and 1/2 thoroughbred, for those who don't remember who he is. His brain is DEFINITELY perchie, but he's built like a sporthorse. He's just turning 3 (on Tuesday, actually *laughing*).

This morning I went to the barn and Wendall was eager to leave his stall. I thought I might harness that eagerness to help teach him how to longe, which he currently does not know. Nothing major, just w/t. So, I put his surcingle back on him, and he wiggled a little, but no problem. Went out to the lawn (did I mention my roundpen hasn't gotten here yet? and we don't have a ring) and I thought we'd work a little and then he'd graze. Started with longeing to the left at the walk. He very quickly caught on. Then I thought I'd get him a bit of exercise at the trot, as he hasn't now been out in 4 days. He was a little reluctant, but caught on quite quickly.

He wasn't so sure he wanted to go to the right, but with a little coaxing he went and he walk/trotted to the right just as the rain was coming down. We went back to the barn and took the surcingle off. Put his bit on (the lesson wasn't quite over yet) and let him relax. Chewed for a little bit and then settled into it, without being tense, nice and loose just chewing periodically. Kept looking at me like - well, why are you staring at me like this with your mouth hanging open - I just want you to get ON with it. So I rigged up the temporary fence as best I could (please, fencing, get here soon) and turned him out for a little while after I removed the bit (he spit it out quite politely actually). I cleaned his stall (which has dutch doors to the back) and when I dumped his water buckets he was very concerned and came trotting back into the stall (he must have thought I was dumping his grain). Did it twice, once for each bucket. Goober. I let him graze for awhile but he's not used to the rich grass so I didn't want him to get too much. Put him away for his nap and reorganized the barn.

Picked up the first two feet beautifully before dinner, but the second set he still wasn't sure. We got them, so vunderbar, done for the day - got his dinner set up and he's thrilled.

So, where are my other draft ladies - what have you been doing with your draft babies and elders - I wanna hear stories!
    Last edited by OakesBrae; Jun. 13, 2006 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Changed Title :)

It was minor but I finally got the canter while riding The Equine Sofa yesterday morning.

It's been a year since her EPSM diet change and now that she's got a butt, isn't achey and wants to move, I've been taking advantange of it and getting her out. So far, just a lot of walking, hills and trotting. Yesterday we were headed up a pretty steep hill, my 40-year old legs encouraged her and out came the canter. Big, honkin but smooth! Granted, it was only for about four strides, but hey, I'll take what I can get!

The more I work with her, the more time we spend together, the more I'm so very glad that I didn't sell her. We've clicked and I can't imagine my life without Tank in it.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I just recently acquired a belgian filly, and I adore her! Her name is Bridgette, and she is 2. She is a bit of a rescue case, so we are taking it slow with her-My dad is a farrier, and we worked on trimming her feet yesterday- the rasp terrifies her, so we are going slow and gentle- she has very obviously been abused before- the last owners said they only had her trimmed once in the 6 months they had her- it was too much work, and too expensive...poor girl- she is feeling friskie and running and trying to buck and play. She was apprehensive about being caught, but has decided she is in love with the bit of grain in a pink plastic cup that accompanies me across the pasture every time I go out- therefore I am at least worthy of approaching on a regular basis- and getting scratches and rubs is almost as good as getting a morsel of grain...My poor giant baby girl has a bad case of blonde dread locks that I am working on as well. We will get her in tip top shape before she knows it- I am her 4th owner in her short 2 year old life...

LD: First, welcome to COTH!

Bless you for rescuing that poor baby She'll come around, though, with time, patience and lotsa love. And now....we need pictures: Lots of them please
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

We've been having an up and down month with our guys. Alex, our 9 yo Perch/Tbd is coming back great guns from his barn fire burns. We still have a lot of bare skin on his topline, but he's now able to drive again. Jumped right back in better than ever and LOVES working on the carriage again.

Cooper, on the other hand, is a 6 yo Perch/Qtr cross who is currently a driving school and bouncing between going great and loving all the attention and haveing mini anxiety attacks about things moving too fast (we are taking a LOT of time with him... he's NOT being rushed which he agrees with most of the time). Currenty we are back in the good times and got him hooked to the carriage again today for a pretty good session. We just have to back up several steps when he gets too tense. As I keep telling everyone... he's going to be an incredible horse when he's 10 and is grown up.

Default uh, Chocomare ...

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare
    It was minor but I finally got the canter while riding The Equine Sofa yesterday morning.
    YOU CALL THAT MINOR???

(monstrpony spews her chicken fried rice all over the monitor screen)

As one who's EPSMer has yet to canter under saddle again, and, at this rate, probably never will , I consider that a serious milestone! I'll have to be content with having Tank be my EPSM success-at-a-distance. Believe me, your "minor" event brought tears to my eyes!!

Go, Tank!!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

ChocoMare, that's not minor - that's AWESOME! Absolutely positively awesome!!! Give that Tank a big hug!

I just recently acquired a belgian filly, and I adore her
    LD, I second the welcome and good luck with her - thank heavens she has found a friend in you.

Alex, our 9 yo Perch/Tbd is coming back great guns from his barn fire burns.
    I remember this story - I'm so glad to hear that he's doing well. He's got spirit, that one does.

Cooper, on the other hand, is a 6 yo Perch/Qtr cross who is currently a driving school and bouncing between going great and loving all the attention and haveing mini anxiety attacks about things moving too fast
    I'm sure he too will be wonderful. Baby steps are where it's at - I had a very challenging one to train and I used to count it as a successful day if we even rode for 5 minutes without me swearing (I had a very very frustrating retraining project). Truly taught me the meaning of patience. He's a wonderful horse NOW. *laughing* With patience, you can do anything

More updates folks!!! I know there are more of us out there!!!

I'm 40...am I middle aged enough to chime in? I'm riding an almost 6 year old Percheron mare. She is green under saddle, and I am for the first time in my life getting formal instruction with an amazing trainer. I feel like a retard at least 70% of the time....especially when my lessons consist of turns at a walk...but I have probably 12 years of poor habits to shake off, and, she *is* a green horse (I keep reminding myself). We started her late last summer, and we've only had about 3 lessons this season (with the winter off). We have a loooong way to go! We took our first trail ride 2 weeks ago and she was a dream - this weekend we tried it again and she wasn't so pleased, but the wind was howling.

I have become quite fond of the bigger horses now and find myself uncomfortable on a "regular" horse. I recently rode a friends "big" ASB (at 15.2hh) and I felt like my legs were rubber, like I couldn't keep my leg on him at all. There was nothing there! His trot was atrocious too - and I'm telling you the Perchie trot isn't anything to brag about, as it is quite rough! But, I'm used to it now and enjoying it more than an itty-bitty horse .

I wish I had the years of formal instruction that so many others have had. I asked my trainer once, why she took us on (green horse, green rider basically) and she said, "That's what you have to work with" as a matter of factly. I have an OTTB that I may never ride, as I have to take one day at a time with his physical ails and emotional issues. So, for now it is the Percheron...and I guess she's right...that's what I have. I am enjoying her much more than I thought I could . She's much lighter onher feet than I ever gave her credit for in the past, and she takes a lesson with me well - what a saint! I can't imagine any other green horse taking the punishment of an unbalanced rider like this!

Anyway...I thought I'd share...hope you all don't mind!

Tracy

Well, I have a TB, but I secretly harbor a desire for a draftie or cross some day down the road. Hey, my TB will need a pal, and why not get a sofa pal? They are just so hugable. I miss riding bareback and that is NEVER going to happen with the shark fin boy. I am seriously coveting this little gal, Ellie:

http://www.shilohacres.org/wst_page4.html

So cute!!!!!! Someone please adopt her and give her kisses!!

I wouldn't call myself "middle aged" yet, but I'm a lady with a draftie...so I'll chime in anyways My current draftie is Quincey, an 18.1h percheron-cross gelding who's built like a full-blooded percheron. Quincey is my eventing partner -- a strange job for a draftie, no doubt, but we've had an excellent time learning together and becoming a team.

Last weekend, we went to a HT with a very tough BN course over very hilly terrain. Now, cross-country is not an easy thing for Quincey on level ground, but a full course of max-height jumps on these big hills was a lot to ask of him. I have to say that I'm VERY proud of Quincey -- we had no refusals on xc, and only 12.4 time penalties.They ran the course over the same course they used for the USEA HT back in the spring, so it was a good test for Q and I. What can I say, I'm proud of Quincey for doing everything I asked in xc and stadium. The dressage will come with time and work. Eventing is a lot of ask of him, and it's amazing to have finally reached the point where he's willing to really TRY for me. I think the giant beastie might actually like me...just a little

Here's my draftie-beast Q in his 3 phases from last weekend:
    Not our greatest dressage moment:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Edressage1.jpg
    Out on XC (I'm ordering this proof)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...d07/FENCE1.jpg
    Apparentlly stadium is so easy we can do it with our eyes closed
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...CEstadium1.jpg
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

I hope I am not middle aged yet (33). I plan on riding until I am at least 80.

Today was beautiful. Tacked up the Plow Beast (a 3 year old Belgian DraftX/ possible Suffolk Punch???) and decided to hack around. I have only had time to ride him 2 or 3 times since Xmas eve. Of course, he was the same steady darling saint he always is. We had been working on the canter right before I got preoccupied with the holidays and then the barn building project. I asked for a canter in each direction and he pleasantly picked up the correct lead. Not bad for an untrained "husband's horse" that didn't even steer when I got him 3 years ago. Anyway, he was delightful as usual. Other than forgetting my spurs and not having quite enough gas in the engine a few times, it was great.

Y'all keep you fingers crossed for me. The barn should be done this week and the fencing guys are scheduled for next. The Plow Beast should be home by july. I told my husband that I can't wait to say that I am going riding, and then just walk right out the back door.

Welcome to the clique. I ADORE my drafty. In 25+ years of riding, he is the most honest citizen I have ever ridden. I just know that you'll love yours.

As requested, here is a link to pics of my Drafty Girl.... Bridgette is a recent rescue, I have had he almost a full week- she is a sweet giant clumsy oaf of a girl, and I adore her! The pics are some I took of her today- I am in love!!!!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/farmgirljen

Well, I am 53 so hope I am not considered "older" than middle-aged. I have a 17.3 hand 1/2 TB, 1/4 Paint and 1/e Percheron gelding. He is a 7 year old and still acts like a baby.......but he is finally getting it all together and generally knows where his feet are now. We are finally getting our canter down better, but I suspect some of our problems had more to do with me than him. I had a bad fall years ago during a canter on my TB mare, and those old memories always come flooding back.

Imax has just been a wonderful horse for me. He has brought back the "fun" in riding. We won't make it to the Olympics in the dressage world, but I do take dressage lessons and we have fun trying. I love big horses.........it makes those little ones so much easier to ride!!

Here is the link to his web page. I think he is a pretty special guy.

http://www.geocities.com/imax_rider/

Quote Originally Posted by monstrpony
    YOU CALL THAT MINOR???

(monstrpony spews her chicken fried rice all over the monitor screen)

As one who's EPSMer has yet to canter under saddle again, and, at this rate, probably never will , I consider that a serious milestone! I'll have to be content with having Tank be my EPSM success-at-a-distance. Believe me, your "minor" event brought tears to my eyes!!

Go, Tank!!
    sniff, sniff Well, gosh...thanks MP sniff. I guess I'll rephrase that: I GOT TANK TO CANTER UNDER SADDLE!!!! How's that?

Hey, if my 13 yo EPSM Equine Sofa can get that far, your dear Monster can too.

Thanks Oaks too

--------------------
    Tarheel: I never, ever, never, ever get tired of seeing Quincy. I LOFF HIM!... even if he is a gelding I plan on doing some serious ground pole work with The Equine Sofa ("TES") this summer. If it goes as well as I hope, I'm gonna try her over a jump...maybe even the dead walnut tree in the pasture. If that goes well, then you need to haul yo'self and the Q man down here. Chapel Hill is not that bad a drive to Georgia. Imagine the looks we will get when two big, honkin dapple grays go thundering over the jumps

---------------------
    Spooks: Honey, don't wait another day to indulge your secret desire for a draftie. Life is too short...Carpe Diem! check out www.draftwarmbloods.com - they have quite a nice selection

---------------------
    JMS: Yes, Saturday was the perfect riding day, wasn't it? I'll be whispering in Santa Claus' ear soon to bring you a trailer for Christmas so TPB can come play with TES.

--

P.S. To The Percheron & Perch Cross Owners: Not that we don't all love COTH, but did you know there is a BB solely for Percherons? Come visit us over at www.percheronnetwork.com (I'm GrayMare over there...duh )
    Last edited by ChocoMare; Jun. 5, 2006 at 08:31 AM.

Fun thread! Okay, I am middle aged (47 on the edge of 48) and ride a draft mule. Only one word for her: AWESOME! She is 17.2, was 5 yrs old in April. Got her when she was 18 months old. Hard to believe how fast 3.5 years went by, when at first I thought, what in the heck am I gonna do with this thing until I can ride her?! Answer was: groundwork, groundwork, and more groundwork, with field trips thrown in for good measure.

She's an amazing and delightful beastie. I foxhunt her, ride her alone and in groups, camp with her, and enjoy every minute I spend with her. Everything about her has been amazingly easy...there are always training things to work on, but what an amiable creature she is! And actually quite humorous. I adore her.

I also have her full brother who just turned 3. I'll start him very lightly under saddle this summer and am looking forward to getting him going. He's somewhat smaller (just over 16 hands at this point and much lighter boned) and more agile but has the same agreeable disposition.

I have never enjoyed riding as much as I do now with my mule(s). They are wonderful animals.

There are a LOT of draft crosses in the Hunt field these days...very very popular in our Hunt. Everyone seems to love them!
    I ride a mule. I paint dogs.

Well okay, I guess we don't have to be middle-aged - it came from the post awhile back where we were all talking about the size of our butts and the merits of having a draft or draft-x.

I must say, Bridgette is one fancy lady!

Quincy is so handsome - wow! I love the picture with his eyes closed doing stadium. That's one of the funnier things I've ever seen

Imax is gorgeous! I think my next project will have to be a draft/paint/tb cross. He's got a beautiful neck too! Is he out of a light mare, by chance?

A draft mule! Very cool! I see a lot of them out here used for the Amish. They always cute me right out - they have such sweet expressions and they work so hard.

Wendall has started to nicker at me when I come near the barn. He's such an incredible softie - I loff him!!

Uh, if anyone's looking (wink wink, nudge nudge Spooks ), check out this guy, a Perch/Trakehner cross:

http://www.draftwarmbloods.com/ShowA...=447affeb35591

-----------

Um, Oaks...check out this Paint/Draft cross: http://www.draftwarmbloods.com/ShowA...=4444ea5c03e53 Babb-Murphy Sporthorses is where I got Penny, my Clyde-X, from.

Ain't I a stinka!

Talking I'm a new member!!

I''m in!!
    Have 3 unbroke fillies (perch/qh) and my riding horse (belgian/tb) who's still got a lotta get up & go at 21. Am hoping for a more "duh" horse with my girlies. One's kinda "spirited" (actually a perchaloosa)but smarter, more inquisitive (aka:nosey!) and the one into everything first. I figure since I'm becoming an old lady(54); I need a more "duh" horse or WANT a more duh horse. Are any of you thinking this way too......?

I've enjoyed raising these babies from weanlinghood (pmu's = I mean CAN-AM SPORTHORSES!!! )and taming them felt/feels special. Clearly I'm Mom.....me likes being mom (no kids....just too many pets!).....ya know I never understood why I knew middle aged women who just OWNED and didn't ride horses especially babies.....well NOW I know!!

I'm addicted to the endorphins you get when a baby walks up to you and demands attention, tugs at your shirt, turns their butt to you to scratch it (which at almost 16 hands can get a little un-nerving!! ) or rests their head on your shoulder (again was cute when they were foals but sheeesh is kinda heavy at 2 or 3!) or lowers her head to your knees for 5 mins in total submission so you can rub her ears/neck.........and they follow me EVERYWHERE!! and supervise all barn/pasture activities.....the manure fork MUST be chewed on if I put it down. The wheelbarrow is a playtoy to be knocked over. Water troughs!? Well....watertroughs can be all kindsa fun ay?!! Like having 2000 pound toddlers out there!

OOOOOO ChocoMare - you're terrible! I can't work on TWO greenies at the same time no matter how fantastic they are. Although...I might be able to convince my dad to buy that one - he's always loved paints and he wants to ride with me My husband would KILL me if I bought another horse right now. *laughing* I am so going to need more land...

Well I will vouch for Mary any time. There's no way on God's green earth I would have bought a horse virtually sight unseen but the video I got proved Mary's training ability.

She got off Penny on both sides, crawled under her belly twice, slid off her butt, pulled her tail, etc. All without a blink. She put her in a stand in the middle of the ring and walked off. The mare didn't move.

She honestly represents her horses, has them reasonably priced and will arrange the transport for you (or your dad ) if needed. Check out all the ones she has for sale, though. She does have two other paint/draft crosses. Specially Duegan: http://www.draftwarmbloods.com/ShowA...=44610c37db5e4 - might be a better "daddy" horse