The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Penthilisea
    Doesn't seem like a terrible place. Horses look fat and happy and well cared for. I'd like to see helmets, or some background on the "instructor" but it sounds like it could really be fun.
    I'm sorry, but I don't think that any place that guarantees that you will be galloping over small jumps in 4 days time is very credible.

There is a learning curve to riding... and it's a skill that takes more than 4 days to develop. So now they're sending people out into the world thinking they can gallop like the wind over jumps out on trail... That's just setting people up for being over confident, lacking respect for the horse, and sailing head first into the ER.

And I'm shocked these people aren't even wearing helmets... There are no liability limiting laws in NY State either... These people are brave.

Quote Originally Posted by RainyDayRide
    and you get to share the cabin with three other people.... one queen-sized bed, one sofa bed and one "long couch"...
    And the sofa bed is on the porch!

I love this line from the web site:

[SIZE=5]We don't call our riding style English or Western -
    we just plain and simple ride the terrain.[/SIZE]
    Hmmm... Okay, so they don't know what they're doing either, huh?

Ouuhhhhh - rider boot camp

I guess when I can ride like a sack of potatoes and clutch the horn as if my life depended on it then I can call myself a real rider. I must have been fooling myself all these years. The truth has been revealed! My trainers knew nothing! Where do I sign up?
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Hey, me and Ted will form a convoy with everyone else - let's just head up and LEARN TO RIDE!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
    Hey, me and Ted will form a convoy with everyone else - let's just head up and LEARN TO RIDE!
    Hey, I'm in! I'll bring the Cosmo Kramer gelding. He and Ted seem to have some similarities based on some of your previous posts. He's never laid eyes on a peep, so maybe Ted could initiate him into peepdom. Can we get a group discount? A small negative sum, perhaps enough to make a dent in my shipping, would be enticement enough.

We could just be like ants and forge a trail there and take over.
    www.specialhorses.org

If someone will throw me and Penny in their trailer, I'll go in a heart beat. I'd love to show them up.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

"and only $920 for 4 whole days.

lesseee, 4 hours of riding lessons is about $200 at a good school. 3 nights in a rustic cabin in armpit NYS is what? about $200? What do I get for the other $520?"

They'd better be giving you more than 4 hours of lesson time if they think they are going to acheive everything they claim in 4 days (galloping, jumpinng small jumps, all in perfect balance).

I do think there is much to be said for an intensive, more-then-one-hour a week program. It's like skiing: you'll learn more in one week on the slope than in a year of individual lessons.

That said, I think it takes ALOT more than 4 days to develop just the muscle-memory needed to be an even mediocre rider.

It's probably full of tent caterpillars though. Let's go later in the year okay?
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Default hey I can ride like THAT

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn trails
    I guess when I can ride like a sack of potatoes and clutch the horn as if my life depended on it then I can call myself a real rider. I must have been fooling myself all these years. The truth has been revealed! My trainers knew nothing! Where do I sign up?
    When I was 9 another 9 yr old threw me up on a horse for the first and we galloped-old super sweet stable horse for beginners. I more or less rode like that for years. Saddle, no saddle, lumping along. Just like the one photo - jumping barrels with western saddle. you don't need to know how to jump because the horse does it all, including the thinking.

I just shared this with someone else today..when I was about 16 and started lessons I realized about soft mouths, contact etc. I was MAJOR embarrassed, and also freaked at how bad I was, how little I knew and how I might hurt a horse if I reacted without thinking. When I first went trail riding all these years later (age 55) I was thrilled to see the bitless bridles, so I didn't have to worry so much. Thank God the person has good natured and forgiving horses! Now I am learning all this delicate soft stuff for the first time. I get jerky and nervous in lessons and it puzzles the teacher but it is all about that worry.
    Barbara - maudlin for some reason. pass the cosmopolitans

also ..
    what the heck is the bridle-ish thing on the horse on right side - rider holding small dog.
    http://www.ridenys.com/horsephotos.html

Quote Originally Posted by A. P.

lesseee, 4 hours of riding lessons is about $200 at a good school. 3 nights in a rustic cabin in armpit NYS is what? about $200? What do I get for the other $520?"
    PLEASE. That's so inconsiderate. Staten Island is the armpit of NY.

The adirondacks is more like the crotch.

(Disclaimer: I'm totally kidding, not trying to offend anyone. )

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraJ11
    what the heck is the bridle-ish thing on the horse on right side - rider holding small dog.
    Are you talking about the person who is riding in a rope halter with reins attached to it?

Default BRAIN STORM!!!!!

So - if riding is so easy, dressage can't be that hard, soooo

WHITE TRASH DRESSAGE CAMP!!!!!

My idea, so I get a cut of the tuition!

Default Is it physically possible...

...to ride 4 days in a row if you've never even sat on a horse? I took a 15 year break from riding and after a one hour lesson I couldn't walk normally for about 3 days. Could barely sit down either. The last thing I would have wanted to do the next day is get back on a horse!
    If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my cats.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraJ11
    That looks like a rope halter with a lead rope clipped to the noseband.

Default I'm originally from Lawn Guyland...

Quote Originally Posted by Phaxxton

(Disclaimer: I'm totally kidding, not trying to offend anyone. )
    so..is that like the anus?
    www.specialhorses.org

Default Hey! No fair! That's wasn't me!!! It was a quote!

Phaxxton http://praha.planetsg.com/Forum/imag...ser_online.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_1648881", true);
    Schoolmaster

http://praha.planetsg.com/Forum/images/icons/icon1.gif
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by A. P.

===========================================
    Hey! No fair! That's wasn't me, I was just quoting another post!
    And I think the south shore of Long Island is the Armpit!

Quote Originally Posted by 411
    ...to ride 4 days in a row if you've never even sat on a horse? I took a 15 year break from riding and after a one hour lesson I couldn't walk normally for about 3 days. Could barely sit down either. The last thing I would have wanted to do the next day is get back on a horse!
    I was thinking about that too! After less than a year pregnancy hiatus from serious riding and competing, I decided to take a weekend clinic, well actually it was for 3 days. Anyway, the only way I could finish the clinic was on a steady dose of Motrin. Walk? sit? My husband had to practically carry me to the car and once I was in it, I couldn't get out!