The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Quote Originally Posted by BarbB
    Chocomare....
    It's called marketing. Do you think anyone would sign up for their vacation for MY description???
    It's no different from the marketing for anything else.....you just recognize the silliness of it because you are familiar with horses.
    I'm sure they DO gallop.....at least it feels like a gallop to a new rider.
    And they DO learn more than they would with the once a week lesson....because they are never going to take the once a week lesson.
    And it's NOT English or Western.....because they don't have time to get into the subtle differences. Probably a western saddle, but maybe an Aussie or an endurance saddle.
    The ad is designed to appeal to people who have never been within spitting distance of a horse.......not horsemen.

I am in the car business....I can guarantee you that I laugh out loud at ads that other people open their wallets for.

Marketing.
    Except that on the site, and I quote:

This holds true whether you are an experienced rider [SIZE=4]OR [/SIZE][SIZE=4]have
    never, ever been on a horse.

Many have said it would take 10 years to a lifetime to learn this
    with an instructor.

[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]We have had folks here that own their own horses and/or have
    been riding for as long as 15 years and they cannot believe how
    much they learned in a few days here at the ranch. They are truly
    astounded.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4] [/SIZE][SIZE=4]
    [/SIZE]

Um, how about macrame' class?

Oh and don't forget outdoor cookery. I make a mean reflector-oven cobbler.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Is anyone else scared that they are jumping horses (over rusty barrels I might add) with Fly Masks on. I know horses can see through the masks, but they must screw up a horse's sense of a distance.

That place makes me shake my head.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Coth's Resident Deatheater~

Dazednconfused

Sometimes I can't tell on the bb if someone is pulling my leg.

You guys are acting like you think that this ad is supposed to attract serious riders to improve their riding.
    You also don't seem to have met the hundreds, maybe thousands of people that I have met who tell me that they have been riding 'all their lives.' If you delve into this you discover some rides on a relative's horse in a pasture as a child. A ride or two on a friend's backyard horse who was polite enough not to unload them and summer rides on some patient rental horse who took them on a tour of the trails that the poor thing walks, trots and lopes multiple times everyday. These are the 'experienced' riders that dude ranches get.

I put a friend from work on my horse for a 10 minute walk/trot lunge lesson. At the end of which she was exhausted and my horse was irritated. She claims to be a "rider", she told everyone that she had ridden my Grand Prix jumper.....which was a HUGE promotion for BOTH of them

These people call themselves experienced riders. Do you really think that they won't learn something if they ride everyday for 4 days under the supervision of a good wrangler?

Lets get real, none of the people I know who are riding everyday are in danger of standing in line to sign up.

This attitude that going on vacation, learning something about horses and having fun is a bad thing.......you must go to a "real" barn and take lessons for years before the words 'rider' come out of your mouth......
    snobby? elitist?

Default I looked at lots of other places - this ad is different

Dazednconfused
    Lets get real, none of the people I know who are riding everyday are in danger of standing in line to sign up.

This attitude that going on vacation, learning something about horses and having fun is a bad thing.......you must go to a "real" barn and take lessons for years before the words 'rider' come out of your mouth......
    snobby? elitist?
    I'm the OP. I looked at a number of dude ranch type places, and this website stood out as very different from any others.
    Most of the dude ranches check your riding level, have increasing levels of activity, alternate activities and meals included. Many are lower priced. In my mind this site runs down everyone else - we have the answer, we can fix you up, you'll be great. The others say - you will have a fun, safe riding adventure.
    Last edited by BarbaraJ11; Jun. 3, 2006 at 11:15 AM.

Oh stop it - no one's being snobby or elitist. People are scared by the obviously over-stated and DANGEROUS claims made on this web site. Galloping in 4 days? Even on a bombproof horse, that's FAR beyond ambitious. Allowing riders who have never ridden before to go around (many helmetless) and having them canter, gallop, and jump in 4 days (not enough time to develop the proper muscle memory) is just dangerous - and yes, that does scare me.

They're either false promises or they're putting people in danger. Since when is not wanting people to get ripped off - or worse, hurt - being snobby and elitist? No one's anti-dude ranch. We're anti-dangerous situations and false promises.

I'm not sure what everyone is so upset about.
    They aren't turning out riders ready to go to Devon.

This is a dude ranch.
    What everyone is upset about is that they are PROMISING that after four days at their food-less, electricity-less, share-the-porch-sofabed-with-a-stranger CAMP, you will be a magnificent rider. Better, they say, than if you took real lessons for FIVE YEARS.

And this is NOT a dude ranch. Look them up on the web if you don't believe me. Dude ranches are a "live a cowboy fantasy" place where they go OUT OF THEIR WAY to make you happy, including FOOD, electricity, COMFORTABLE accommodations, tons of activities, and NO HORSE PROMISES. I've worked at a bunch.

If my father had only attended this camp........My father had flown to England to attend a wedding.While there he and my Stepmom decided to get married as well.As he remembers it there was an excessive amount of partying going on and the homeowner who was hosting the party/wedding suggested they all go riding.My father has never been on a horse.In 38 years he has seen my horse once and that was from a distance.He told the owner "my daughter has horses" and that he knew how to ride.He vaguely remembers a stone wall,the horse jumping over it and he was no longer on the horse.Apparently no one came back for him/noticed he had fallen.I would have thought the riderless horse would have been a dead giveaway.

Also I think craft classes using Floam as well as macaroni and sparkly things would be nice.I dare someone to make a Floam saddlepad.Does it dry hard or stay fluffy/squishy???

BarbB, always assume we are pulling your leg, until proven otherwise.

HeyPone, you have some fabulous ideas! Wanna become Arts and Crafts Director?
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Oohhhh..I would love to!! But I MUST have free access to all the shiny, sparkly,glittery type objects.I think they will readilly stick to the floam .Nice!!!

As long as you don't play with sharp objects, I think we're okay.
    www.specialhorses.org

Quote Originally Posted by Phaxxton
    Oh stop it.

Excuse me?????

I'm just going to say one thing and then I will shut up.

I know some of you are just having fun with what has to be one of the worst websites I have ever seen. I agree is is atrocious. Doesn't sound like a fun place at all.
    But when I see posts about how people should never do this sort of thing because the only way to REALLY learn to ride is the blood, sweat and tears route that many of us have chosen.....I have to think about a couple of things.

How many horse go to slaughter every year in this country?

How many people in this, no longer rural, country have NEVER seen a horse up close? Never petted a horse, felt his breath on your neck, ridden a horse and seen wildlife that you would never see on foot, groomed a horse, fed him, looked in his eyes and seen something........different.

I believe that if more people were exposed to horses, and I don't honestly give a sh*t HOW they get that exposure......more people would protest horse slaughter.....at least notice and care when it is brought to their attention.

So for those of you having silly fun.....carry on. For those of you seriously criticising from the superior life of regular lessons and registered horses.....you are missing the boat.

end of soapbox and tirade

Excuse me?????
    It's an expression. No offense was meant. Apologies if you were offended. I wasn't trying to be mean.

I meant it more in the "come on now" way, and it was followed by "no one's been snobby or elitist."

Again, apologies if you were offended. That wasn't my intent. I was merely surprised at the comment, since I've only heard concern over a potentially dangerous situation, not anyone being snobby or elitist... and yes, some of us are poking a little fun as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaxxton
    It's an expression. No offense was meant. Apologies if you were offended. I wasn't trying to be mean.
    I wasn't exactly offended. More like startled

Hi BarbB - I am with you.
    That's why I liked the show on Animal Planet, "Trail Mix". If you did not see it, it was just stories (interviews) of celebrities riding their horses.
    What did I like? Hey, these are people who could afford ANY hobby. They showcased how fun it is to have horses, and just go out and walk around on trails and enjoy riding.
    Nope, not serious and nope, not too proficient. But I liked the idea that someone might see this show and think, "Hey, that looks like fun! I want to learn to do that!"

I wasn't exactly offended. More like startled
    I didn't mean for it to come off as curt as it obviously did. This is the problem with the lack of tone of voice and other limitations of online BBs. That's all the more reason to choose my words more carefully.

I'm just punchy...it's 9:30 on a Saturday night and I'm back in lab. Grazed Ted and worked on the laptop. What a life!
    www.specialhorses.org