The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default 4 days "learn to ride" place

I was looking at places with weekend stay plus riding when I found this one.

http://www.ridenys.com/LearnToRide.html

Gee and to think I've "wasted" all those years and all that money Where were these "people" 30 years ago.

--where is that smack the forehead icon?

<>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Doesn't seem like a terrible place. Horses look fat and happy and well cared for. I'd like to see helmets, or some background on the "instructor" but it sounds like it could really be fun.
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

That website design is just atrocious.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion; you must set yourself on fire

It may look all well and good, but I would be a little apprehensive about riding in an arena with someone who had learned there. And they have no mention - anywhere that I saw anyways - of learning ground skills...you know, the basics...catching a horse, brushing a horse, putting tack on a horse? Horsemanship is more than being balanced and having fluid movement on your horse.

At the average lesson price of $50 an hour times 52 weeks a year times 4 years, you would have spent over $10,400. AND, you still wouldn't have learned to do "REAL Horseriding"
    I'm just curious what exactly they think the rest of us are doing.

And what is real horseriding? As opposed to fake horse riding?

This was my favorite quote:

"If you are the best "rider" in the world but you can't get your horse to do what you want him to do, then it just doesn't matter how well you ride, does it? This is what most people are clueless about."

All this time I must have misunderstood what it meant to be a good rider.

and only $920 for 4 whole days.

lesseee, 4 hours of riding lessons is about $200 at a good school. 3 nights in a rustic cabin in armpit NYS is what? about $200? What do I get for the other $520?

But I bet it looks like fun to people who haven't really ridden before, if you like the NH stuff. I am not much into putting two full grown adults bareback with only a rope halter, on a 15.2 hh horse. And asre the bugs really so bad that they have to use full face flymasks even while riding? That alone would scare me off!

um wonder what happpens if you have an accident ---

I suppose the slight hunch forward and downward pointing toes that result from a clear pinching of the knee and general instability in the saddle of many of the photographed riders is only an indication of supreme skill.... ?

Dangerous ad. It's not only misleading, but the worst trouble arises when people don't know what they don't know. Convincing someone that four days will turn them into an expert is, IMO, only setting them up for an accident. I'm sure the facility and their program is probably a lot of fun for participants, but the advertising is unrealistic at best.

Quote Originally Posted by DocHF
    and only $920 for 4 whole days.

lesseee, 4 hours of riding lessons is about $200 at a good school. 3 nights in a rustic cabin in armpit NYS is what? about $200? What do I get for the other $520?

But I bet it looks like fun to people who haven't really ridden before, if you like the NH stuff. I am not much into putting two full grown adults bareback with only a rope halter, on a 15.2 hh horse. And asre the bugs really so bad that they have to use full face flymasks even while riding? That alone would scare me off!
    hey I thought the best photo was the rider in the fly mask. Did you notice there is NO food provided? You have to cook in your cabin.

best quote?

"So, if you are looking for FORM, with all your limbs
    lined up with the horses' limbs, and your neck and
    shoulders rigid, and your legs stiff and straight -
    you won't find it here."

and you get to share the cabin with three other people.... one queen-sized bed, one sofa bed and one "long couch"...

I find nothing unusual in that at all. Heck I've given a 4 year old her second lesson today - she has 20 minutes on a horse - and her push mum who seems to know it all asked if she would be off the lead rein by her 5th birthday.

I asked when that was - in 2 weeks time - she only has a lesson a fortnight !!!!!

Maybe I need to give her the phone number for the place here??

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1
    I find nothing unusual in that at all. Heck I've given a 4 year old her second lesson today - she has 20 minutes on a horse - and her push mum who seems to know it all asked if she would be off the lead rein by her 5th birthday.

I asked when that was - in 2 weeks time - she only has a lesson a fortnight !!!!!

Of course you should, Thomas; right away. -- Let's see now....Hmmm, airfare to NY from the UK, rental car charge, food for the DIY cabin....probably about $2,500 Oh yeah, definitely cheaper than lessons every two weeks. Heck at that rate the kid-let will be ready for her first show next month...jumping 2' 6".
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Default ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1

I'd make copies of the ad to hand out. Just be glad you don't have to deal with mum when the child gets to school. The school will never acknowledge the amazing brilliance of the kid, or the great athletic talents that place her above the others.
    They're all from Lake Woebegon. ( Where the men are all handsome, the women are all strong, and all the children are above average-Garrison Kellior)

Well I guess I sure have wasted a lot of time and A LOT of money over the years. I could have just gone there for four days!

Dangit! I'm with EqTrainer here. I've wasted all that time and money over the last 20-something years, and I could have learned to ride in 4 days?!

I'm definitely the world's worst rider then, since I'll be training along with Casper this year for Western Pleasure. They could obviously have saved me that aggravation, right?

Geez, don't even wanna think about the liability issues here....
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraJ11
    best quote?

"So, if you are looking for FORM, with all your limbs
    lined up with the horses' limbs, and your neck and
    shoulders rigid, and your legs stiff and straight -
    you won't find it here."
    My, how shocking...(why is there no barf icon for moments like this??). How about if you are looking for someone who is NOT full of sh!t?? Something tells me you won't find it there, either....
    "If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." -Don Marquis
    **CEO of the TQ "Learn How To Ride or MOVE OVER!!" Clique**

If any are interested, check out weeklong and weekend riding vacation places. I only looked at ones on the east coast. Hardly any use helmets. Maybe the liability laws are different in other states, insurance requirements, but I was pretty suprised.
    When we rode in Dominican Republic this winter, not only no helmets, the horses were pushed along in a crowd. I couldn't believe they didn't have a single horse that protested that. My only guess is that these horses are older, dead broke animals and all flying objects, bugs, snakes, paper towels, kites, dogs and ultra-lite planes have been removed from the grounds.

I confess I use the Scary Green Helmet on trails but not during my lesson in a ring. Different places, lessons at Western style place, many non-helmet riders.
    Also - just to sidetrack..everyone I've met so far is a smoker. I quit (while almost dying from clots in lung) in 1988. The last year before starting I'd had a puff or two when son showed up (law student all seem addicted), then started riding and smoking afterwards. mmmmm. wicked. stupid.
    which is dumber - no helmet or smoking?
    Barbara - the guilt continues