The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default O’Connor Signature Equestrian Facilities, Presented by Equestrian Services, LLC...

So...what are everyone's thoughts about this??

Go to: www.oconnoreventteam.com/o'connor%20signature.html (please copy and paste link)

not my taste, but hey, to each his own. Personally, I miss the smaller barns with a close knit feel.

Default Are you kidding me?

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Robby
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Robby you just made me spit my iced tea all over my computer! LOL you're way too funny!
    "Personally speaking, if for whatever reason I was stuck with absolutely only having to chose one breed, then it would without hesitation be a thoroughbred."

Default RB

Does that mean you are not clinicing with the OCET soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Robby Johnson

Robby

Default oh my!

I'm with Robby on this one... except it was more than a little!

O M G

with a side note for those in Colorado.....doesn't this just scream Highlands Ranch?????

This has a very "Parelli" like marketing angle to it. I know they did something with him at some point as was noted in a book called "In Service to the Horse". I've met Mr. O'Connor twice and he's a very nice guy but this is not "my cup of tea" but to each his own. I suppose they need to make the money where they can, since they are not getting any younger.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is anything they *won't* try to stick their name on and sell...
    No Trouble
    2/2/05 - 7/29/13
    Rest In Peace my quirky brave boy, I will love you forever.

The great Bluegrass State. Or Commonwealth. Whatever.

Robby
    HAHAHAHAHA!

But on a lighter note.....don't make me snort water through my nose! It's not pretty!!

To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.

Regardless of whether one finds the concept barfy or not, it sure sounds like a PITA to administrate. Certified instructors? Customized lesson programs? Approved stall hardware, or whatever? Running an eventing barn--even a great one--shouldn't be like administrating the NFL!

Default For clarity ...

Just because I don't want that to seem too harsh ...

When I think "Karen O'Connor" I think many things:

1.) Razor-sharp wit and fun-loving sense of humor.
    2.) Ridiculously ballsy-but-backed-up-with-skill riding.
    3.) Articulate, smart, quick in her thinking.

What I do not think is ANYTHING related to lifestyle. I mean, I've seriously been trying to get her chunkier, paler highlights and a more ragged/razored short hairstyle for at least the past three years. Sister won't budge. Which reminds me of another word to add to my list - "tenacious."

If these "brands" are more related to standards of horsemanship, then my bulimia was in vain. I'd say they're exceptional horsemen.

Though I fail to see how this would really benefit me as a farm owner and, indeed, might even pigeonhole me.
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

I mean, I've seriously been trying to get her chunkier, paler highlights and a more ragged/razored short hairstyle for at least the past three years. Sister won't budge.
    LMAO Dude, not nice to make me laugh at the computer while I'm at my internship on the psych unit!!! Too bad the admin blocked the page so I can't see it. But...ummm...wanna help me with my hair, too? I'm good at taking most suggestions!
    ***Honorary Member of the "What is BOSS?" Cult...er...CLIQUE***
    ***Prominent Member of the 'Irrelevent Posters Clique'***
    CrayolaPosse ~ Bluegreen

I looked over the plan/concept several weeks ago, pretty throroughly, because I'm a little dim, and several things confused me.

Robby, it would do more than pigeonhole you as a farm owner. As a farm owner, if you wanted to have the signature brand, you couldn't run your own farm at all. In other words, it isn't a situation where you can have your facility meet the standards of the management/development company, pass tests/inspection, hire certified workers etc. and either have a new or old facility with the branding.

If you wanted to do this, you have to turn your barn, whether a new facility or an existing one, completely over to the management company.

I guess if you were the sort of farm owner that wanted to turn over the running of your barn to a company completely, it might be beneficial. Otherwise, I couldn't see where it would be beneficial at all.

I guess I was really interested in how it was going to work, as I have *tremendous* admiration for the way their barn runs, but the way it is actually going to be set up just struck me as odd.

Anyway, anyone know anyone who is actually planning to create one of these facilities?

What I do not think is ANYTHING related to lifestyle. I mean, I've seriously been trying to get her chunkier, paler highlights and a more ragged/razored short hairstyle for at least the past three years. Sister won't budge. Which reminds me of another word to add to my list - "tenacious."
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

It will surprise me if there are any takers. Maybe in some super competitive market between money is no object facilities. I've never been to one of those markets though. Too country I guess.

Default First one is already in the works

First one is already being built several miles from us in Lake City, Florida.
    Ruthie
    suwanneefarm.com

I'm afraid I would run the other way. A barn run by a remote corporation is not my cup of tea.
    I think this might be a way for horse admirers with no actual horse experience to own/run an equestrian center. They would rely on the (distant) corporation to make decisions for them.
    That may work for McDonalds, but it won't work for most horse owners.

Talking

Okay, if they make that work more power to them. But as a farm owner it sounds like a very expensive means to I am not sure what!!! So let me get this straight, you buy the property, build all the buildings to there standard
    (complete with approved stall fronts and hardware just to start) and of course that doesn't even include the arenas etc (probably plural!) Then you pay for there staffing services thru there management company and of course if you get clients after they see all the restrictions and then the bill you will be lucky to cover your investment cost (which will take forever considering they will likely take a big cut of what comes in, you don't think they would put there name on something for nothing!) Oh another thing I don't think they will locate these facilities anywhere that isn't posh with reasonably priced land! We are in the real estate development business and this just doesn't even sound like something that would fly! Not unless they tap into so big developers with alot of money and patience for return on there investment. But hey they don't have much to lose because if you read closely they aren't making the investment they are looking for suckers to do it!!! Good luck
    Sorry just my two cents Flame suit zipped!!

I am scared to click on the link, what happens, I think I might crawl back to the safe stall crawling at IEA