The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Mom and dad wouldn't even spend $5000 on a horse for me. I would have been lucky to get a horse for $3000. We are going to work on adding to the barn, getting a round pen, and putting in a small arena before we spend money on another horse.
    -Lindsey

gawd... $5000 is a LOT of money.. DJ hon if you worked and had to pay for real life things by yourself - like your horses feed, board (you are lucky to have them home) vet, farrier, your clothes, phone bills, petrol bills.. you would realise how much $5000 means. it's a lot of money that goes a long way towards paying for necessities of life... a $5000 horse that eats $100 worth of food a month is a another $1200 plus say $50 once a month for the farrier is another $600 plus all the other extra's.. your $5000 horse could easily cost his own price over again each year just to live at your house. Easily cost his own price all over again. Every single year. You own that horse for say 5 years (or until you get a full time job to pay for him yourself) that's $30 000 you'll have expected your parents to pay. Thats like college tuition, or a really nice car.. or a deposit on a house. No offence but the way i see it is horses aren't going to get you all those nice things... For some very lucky people they do.. but not for everyone.

You are much better off asking your parents to invest in your lessons, so one day you can buy your own $5000 horse and you'll have enough experience to maybe do something great with it.

dj- how are you jumping 2ft 3in with your trainer when you havent got the trot correct--
    look -- trot and troting is hte best working gait to anything with and to learn with--
    sit it slows rise it a tad faster -

your to high in the saddle when you rise if you hanging on to your mares mouth then you must be doing the same to a lesson pony and the trianer should pick you up on that and get you settled otherwise the on thing you will see is the floor.

you want to be a jumper and your horse to - then trot--

work at your trot for abit learn to keep your seat and balance aswhen you got that much gap theres no balance not for you not for the horse either way jump jumps at a show and you will fall or run out or-- not jump at all then get eliminated -- i dont want that you dont want that --

if your trainer says shes the best horse that can jump maybe as shes seen her pop a jump --- a jump- not a course of jumps-- a jump.
    yeah theres loads of horses i can see that would maake good jumpers becuase they can pop a jump-- but to have a show jumper and be the best then you have to teach it school it and in the same time know what you are doing to school it plus big big plus -- to sit and have balance---
    so for exsample say you lost your stirrup oveer a jump to me it would mean nothing but to you it could unbalance you and you be on the floor or unbalnace her and shes crashes the fence down..

the other thing that will happen if you continue to hang on mouth and ride with big gap-- is that you apporach the first jump great you may have jump it
    cant get reorganised in time for the next so she runs out-- why

becuase you have sat back down you was so over her that you didnt have time to pick up her and dont know the distance between each jump didnt see the stride dropped in another pace - or to short and it was impossiable for the mare to jump as you didnt look for the next jump and kept on line so -- what she do only one choice --runs out-- refussed it

the only other time a horse runs out is when the rider isnt quite so sure of the size of the jump and they get put off s they end up pulling the horse awayfrom the jump and then the horse learn to refuse--

running out its down to you -- the rider.
    iam trying to put things into laymans terms so you understand it abit more
    as i think sometimes the tecnical side of things you have hard time grasping
    the other reason why she has a set head --is becuase you hang on and hunch over - so sit try not to jump jumps in a rasing position its sitting then sit into canter --

so before we get to cnater and jumping we need to learn the trot --
    to sit in get hands back to pommel have a firm even contact and work the sitting trot if you hang on to her mouth you are pulling her round and not using your legs to guild her body only using her head so mare sticks her up in the air and avades you -- hence head set---
    and we will go back to basic trianing as you dont understand open your hands and nor does the mare as shes green i would like you to practice this --
    you cant learn or know what sponging of the reins is either so iam going right back as if shes a baby horse which she is and you are a beginner which you are--

so you walking ok -- we going to try it in walking first then you can try same moves in trot the idea is to bring her head down and you not to hang on it for dear life--

so walk -- sit still and even hands back to pommel and reins through hands little dinky underneath and thumbs on top -- and hands together not newspaper apart-- squeeze with your knees giving a little push and at same time say walk on--- go straight till you can turn to left - open your hand on left means you( as you a beginner doing it froma begining point) move your hand dwon rein and move it away from pommel out and down to the left ( this is asking the horse nicely and polite to move her head to left) at same time push your right knee towards your left leg - this turns the body) once turned bring hands back to pommel position-- do the same for a right turn only the other way around-- on the straight keep hands to gether.
    this will work the horse and you will be balance so will she practice till you have it off pat then in trot - what it does will bring her on the bit and eventually her head will come down becuase you not hanging on her mouth
    you are asking her politely -- then when you have mastered the open hand each time bring your hand slightly closer to gether --till eventually that movement of the hands is done but yours fingers and then you can learn to sponge with reins --

so when you stting and riding when you sponge and ask politley the mares head will be in and down and on the bit and if you sit you will have control and not the mare. thats a breif describition and as my six years old in lessons can sponge and kept my ponies heads in iam sure you can but to do it
    and ride and if you want to jump then you going too have to start to listen to people if you are going to keep your horses then listen to those that will help you and kee your attitude in your pants-- then you may find that we all want the same and that for you to have fun and not fall off or get hurt
    as for tex if you dont ask properly or if you dont lernt to sit in then you are always going tobe on the floor.
    learn the basics in walk and trot learn how to steer then we can talk about jumping -- how can you jump if you cant steer -- as thats waht hunch over does to another reason why mare runs out.

trot once mastered it
    the you can learn to lengthen andd shorten keeping the reins aids light with a little seris of checks with your fingers and try to keep your legs to the horses sidw with out actually pushing her on as before we can jump we want to slow the trot down and the reins should be light with out yanking her on,
    if the her head comes up then you yanking her to hard what you aiming for is a nice rythem a nice slow rythem once this ryhtem is leanrt and horse is comfy with it then you can go forawrd into working trot--nduging with you legs not a hard push until a more active trot is achieved but not rising --s itting trot is a working trot and concentrate on keeping rytem and outline slwoing the working trot is useful for teaching young horses to go from walk to trot --its much easier for a young horse to understand the aids--the signal for walk.

when wlak is signalled from a slower trot its in no doubt and gradually you can increase the pace until the horse undersatnds the signal from walk to full working trot. by being patience you not be attempted to put your whole body weight down into the reins to change down and not invite the horse to lean into your hands.

the aim is to get head down and gain control as if you going to jump then head in the air is no good --

so if you feel she stuffing her head in the and being strong willed then do the oppsersite bring her back down to walk --

can take along time -- but get you trot and walk sorted out then
    first get control then we talk about jumping but its not going to hapen i n aday a week a month as your horses are untrianed and you abeginner so
    tka eit slow be patience it will pay didvidends in the long run

I think I understand the OP's position a little better, and I can relate in a lot of ways. Sometimes, parents are pretty tough to work with, especially when they haven't been very exposed to the horses. A dog you get when it's a puppy, and that's okay, so why not get a baby horse for the kid too?

My first horse was a green as grass, spooky 4 year old TB. We had a lesson a week, and I fell off every time I got on. No long-term damage was done in the beginning, and she and I eventually had a very nice time showing together. It can be done, but my point is just that it seems that DJ is trying really hard, even if her parents aren't quite understanding of whats going on, or why Tex isn't the best option.

DJ- I just had another idea. I found a REALLY clear book called Lessons With Lendon by Lendon Gray, and it has 18 dressage lessons that you can study, apply at home, and it's got a great, informative, easy to understand tone to it, and it's all about basic dressage. It explains with pictures how to be quiet, steady, and how to start asking Sheza for better contact. PM me if you need help finding it. I'd really like to see you and Sheza succeed. You really do remind me a lot of myself when I first started riding as a kid, except that I didn't ask as many questions at first
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

Me too - that's how I learned. I used to ride up on the mountains bareback in a bicycle helmet and started jumping in a curb bit because I didn't know any better and neither did my parents. Was it ideal? Nope. Did I live? Yep. I took it upon myself to learn - read everything I could get my paws on. At the time, there was no internet, so I went to the library, I read and reread back issues of Equus, PH and Horse of Course that my library was throwing out...

Yeah, $5000 is alot. Tex was $800, though we should have spent more on a better broke horse, and Sheza was $2500, I am just glad to have horses right now.

Candle, I will look on Amazon for that book.

I think lessons for my mom are going to be held up for awhile longer now, we went 4 wheeling yesterday, it was a blast, my mom hit a tree though on one of the tight trails and jammed her thumb back, she is going to the doctor tomarrow to see if it is broken? How long does it take for fingers to heel?
    Last edited by ~DressageJunkie~; Jun. 5, 2006 at 04:47 PM.
    -Lindsey

Thanks.

I love the 4 wheelers too, my friend has 400 acres and 5 miles of trails, some time I will take the horses on the flatter trails. Some of those hills are straight up and down!

I have a month before the jumping class, I will see how she is by then. This weekend I am hoping to do English Pleasure and English Equitation at a small local show. Going to the arena tomarrow to pratice, then a lesson a day before the show. Hopefully her canter is good enough for the show.
    -Lindsey