The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

DJ, the point everyone is trying to make is that you may have been jumping before, but you're not READY to be jumping. You need a lot of confidence building and a LOT more basics than you've had. I'm sure you won't believe what I'm saying, but I'm saying it anyway.

Mp, thank you, as soon as it is final I will tell you.

DressageGuy, just because I buy a jumping horse doesn't mean I will be jumping 3ft, I am looking for somthing that can do Dressage too, so I can get basics on the flat, then move to jumping.
    -Lindsey

http://www.equine.com/Horses/ad_deta...6-52f385071d35

What about him? He's a little older, but I'll bet he's got the mileage you're looking for.

http://www.equine.com/Horses/ad_deta...8-bb5a559a927b This one is kinda cute - you'd have to see how much horse it is.

http://www.equine.com/Horses/ad_deta...8-bb5a559a927b I LOVE this horse. Reasonable offers considered.

http://www.equine.com/Horses/ad_deta...8-bb5a559a927b This one has been there done that.

http://www.equine.com/Horses/ad_deta...8-bb5a559a927b This one is a little pricey, but my experience has been that cash talks.

I LOVE helping people find suitable horses. Just remember that you have to kiss a lot of frogs.

I don't think it's a horrible thing for DJ to want a horse who has had experience jumping. In fact, I think that's a great idea. She needs a solid horse that has been there and done that, and when her basics are completely solid, she'll be able to jump a btdt horse

You can do dressage on this guy:

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...orse_id=662904

This guy could teach you how to jump!:

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...orse_id=813181

Doesn't specifically say jumping, but you could ask:

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...orse_id=797395

PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT!!! But a little more money:

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...orse_id=795485

I second and third what everyone says. You need a quiet horse on which you can learn, eventually, to jump. I'm afraid you're just going to end up in the same situation you are in now if you go looking at hot-tempered young horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

I like that last one of ExJumper's!

Quote Originally Posted by OakesBrae
    I like that last one of ExJumper's!
    That one is my favorite!
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Thanks so much guys, adding most of those to favorites.

Piece 'O the Past sounds just like what I like, plus very close to me.

I never really said a price limit, but I am looking for under $4000, it might be hard to find a good horse at that price, but I think there are ones out there. Thanks so much!

Hudson is beautifull, but I don't want to have to start one over fences.

So far I like,

Piece O' the Past
    Whimsey
    Smokie
    -Lindsey

Quote Originally Posted by ~DressageJunkie~
    Hudson is beautifull, but I don't want to have to start one over fences.

So far I like,

Piece O' the Past
    Whimsey
    Smokie
    Although it doesn't specifically say in the ad that he jumps, it does say that he competed at PC Nationals at First Level in dressage. To compete in dressage at Nationals, you have to be a "C" pony clubber (can't remember whether you must be a C1 or a C2). For a C1 rating you must jump 2'9" and for a C2 you must jump 3'0". So, one can logically infer that this horse is capable of jumping at least 2'9"-3'0", if not higher.

He looks like a really nice horse - you could always email the seller and ask about his jumping ability.
    http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ncer/?start=20

Mares are like neutrons. If there are too many in an area, you approach critical mass. And then there are explosions. Loud ones.

Speaking as a poor jaded soul who is trying to sell a horse at the moment, please don't just "go look and try some" until you are actually in a position to buy.

Weber, yes he is beautiful, I will E mail them and ask, I would love to do Dressage along with jumping.

Atr, I know I could get so dispointed, I am hoping he sells fast once we put him up, I have a few people who are going to help advertise. Good luck on your sale!
    -Lindsey

Whimsey seems best suited based on location, age, price, and training, but she's not for you. Not right now. You need to sell Tex first. Don't even look or consider buying until then. The last thing you want it to get your hopes up while he's still around because you may end up resenting him for it. Just take one thing at a time.

When you do look (after you've sold Tex), I'd recommend trying to find a 10 -16 yr old lower level eventer that's being outgrown by it's current rider.... something that will pack around a BN course. It will already have some dressage and jumping training, so you won't be starting from scratch in either area. I would absolutely not recommend looking at anything green regardless of how quiet the seller says it is. That includes the "well-broke" horses who've reported been ridden by the seller's grandkids but have sat in the pasture and only been ridden a handful of times over several months.

Thanks for the advice, a eventer (like Smokie) sounds good, just have to finalize that we are going to sell him and put up an add.

Is it really that hard the day they leave your house? It's going to be tough.
    -Lindsey

Quote Originally Posted by ~DressageJunkie~
    Atr, I know I could get so dispointed...
    DJ, the reason you shouldn't go look until you're ready to buy is because it wastes a seller's time and money to cater to tire kickers.

Yes, thats one reason, but I am talking more about looking online right now and finding one that sounds perfect.

How hard will it be for Sheza to adjust to her new pasture mate?

And does $1000 sound good for Tex?
    -Lindsey

DJ - if you want to start looking now, that's fine...BUT...make it very clear to the seller that you're not in the position to buy at this point, and will not be until Tex sells. Some sellers will tell you to come on out and try the horse, and others will ask that you wait until you're able to commit.

BTW - I think the last of exjumpers picks looks great!

You probably won't want to, but...

What about finding a nice horse to lease? Especially if you are looking for something that you might grow out of or progress past the horse's ability - there are LOTS of packer-type eventers for lease to good homes that have owners at school/no time. I know it is a lot more fun to own the horse and everything that comes with it, especially at your age, but it might be a viable option for what you are looking for, and you could save the money from Tex (maybe put it in a savings account and let it accrue interest) until you get ready to buy a horse that you won't grow out of/get better than after a year or two.

I leased a gelding, a 14yo TB that had eventing through Novice successfully, for 3 years while his owner was pregnant and then taking care of the baby. She eventually sold him when I was ready to move on and she realized she wouldn't ride anymore, and it was GREAT. I did my first events on him, and even though he was a pain in the dressage ring, he was a blast to jump and fun to hack around with. He was also an OTTB. I was about your age at the time, too.

Now, almost 4 years after the end of the lease, I have a 6yo OTTB who is headed to his first HT in two weeks, to compete at Novice. If I had bought the lease horse, I may have ended up with a retiree and wouldn't have the money to support a second, competitive horse. Or, I may have fallen in love with him and kept him, taken him up the levels, etc.

Consider it!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

DJ, yes it is hard to say goodbye when they get on that trailer to their new home. I just sold one of my horses that I absolutely loved but he wasn't working out for me. He belongs to a teenager who is going to do 4H and gaming on him, which is what he's more suited for. Yes, it was tough but I knew I was doing the best for him and for me. He'll get the additional training he needs and a young girl who'll love and pamper him.

When you do get a new horse, let Sheza and he/she get acquainted over a fence at first and if you can put the new horse and Sheza in separate side by side paddocks for several days so they can get used to each other without feeling threatened. When you do turn them out together, expect some squealing and kicking but it's normal horsey behavior. Keep an eye on them and if it gets particularly violent, then continue the separate turnout a little longer.

Good luck!
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

I talked to my mom more tonight, she says she doesn't know, she doesn't want him to go to a bad home. I think she would miss him, I would too but she could get a horse that she doesn't feel threatened about, I kind of feel like I would be taking away her first horse from her, and I wouldn't want Sheza to be taken from me. I will try to talk to her again tonight. I don't know, I love Tex, but I want somthing I can work with and have fun on, but I don't know if I could sell Sheza, she has potental.
    -Lindsey