The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Looking at horses for sale

I think we are going to talk about selling Tex, then buying an older broke horse that jumps, somthign I can learn on, then transfer some to Sheza and still take her to a trainer later this year. I am thinking we could get $1000 out of him, then some of the horses I am looking at our $3500, then one is $8500 I would make sure it would be broke enough that my parents could throw an western saddle on it and take a stroll down the trail without worrying about a 3 year old. It would be sad to sell him, but if the home was good I think I could deal with it, not having to worry about a green baby anymore.

Some horses I like (of course I would ride them and see if we would fit.

Lukey http://dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php...orse_id=782229

Shadow http://dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php...orse_id=720028

Annie (maybe I could afford it :P ) http://dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php...orse_id=780738

Thats all I have found right now, what do you guys think?
    -Lindsey

I think Lukey is really cute, the others don't thrill me. You'd have to ride him to be sure

That Lukey is listed as a prospect and not for a beginner. You need something quiet and safe. Most any horse can jump a little- you need a horse you can gain confidence on. I looked up some for you:

http://dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php...orse_id=779128

http://dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php...orse_id=781494 (this one looks perfect for you)

http://dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php...orse_id=818423

http://dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php...orse_id=812427 (sale pending but if it falls through maybe?)
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

-my gelding is a ho clique-

Hi DJ,

After reading some of the other threads, I think it's the right idea to sell Tex and get a different horse instead. Just be sure that you don't end up in the same situation again.

The first horse is nice, but it says that he's not for a beginner rider. If you want something quiet and calm, you can bet that you should look for an ad that stresses quiet and calm and broke. Even some ads that stress quiet, calm and broke don't accurately describe the horse. So, if an ad doesn't say those things, don't even call for a video.

The second horse is 18 hands! Yipes! That's a big horse for a 14 y/o. I'm 5'8" with long legs, and my horse is 18 h., and believe me, that's a lot of horse. Especially if you want to do hunters or eq., you want to make sure the size is proportionate to your size, or else it looks awkward.

The third one is the best of the three in my opinion. Maybe look for some more like her?

Good luck with your search!

PS I know you are very fond of Sheeza, but if you sold her too, then you'd have twice as much money to buy one really nice horse!

Thanks, but I am looking for somthing under the age of 15 and that is already trained to jump. I still want to look at Lukey, I am not a complete beginner, he could be perfect for me.

Thanks for looking though.
    -Lindsey

Quote Originally Posted by ~DressageJunkie~
    Thats all I have found right now, what do you guys think?
    I think (and I am being DEAD serious here - not trying to provoke you or anything like that) that you should concentrate selling Tex before you EVER start looking for another horse.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

I know hitchinmygetalong, I am just looking right now, might see a few in person, but we wouldn't buy anything till he was sold.
    -Lindsey

[QUOTE]That Lukey is listed as a prospect and not for a beginner. You need something quiet and safe. QUOTE]

Whoop - you're right, he is listed as not a beginner horse. I missed that.

DJ - why do you need something under the age of 15? If you are looking for something to give you confidence, you DO need a beginner horse. I'm not telling you that you're an up-down beginner, but a beginner horse will help you gain the confidence that you want. Get an older horse They will have the experience, they'll be fun to ride, and they'll help you gain confidence - I swear PLUS you can get SO much more horse for your money

I'm serious. Don't even look. Take care of Tex until he is sold, THEN look.

I'll tell you why.

You've had your problems with Tex. You are sure you will sell him. So you go "looking" and you will fall in love with the first halfway nice horse you see. Since everyone will go into a panic that the nice horse will get sold before you can sell Tex, you will buy the nice horse. Now you have three horses, one of which is going to end up sitting around being ignored - Tex.

Spend your time putting some spit and polish on the horse you want to sell. Continue with your riding lessons. Continue working with Sheza. But please don't make things hard on yourself by looking at other prospects until Tex is sold.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

OakesBrae, I guess there is nothing wrong with an older horse, there is a 15 year old that I love, does jumping, dressage and XC!

http://dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php...orse_id=767206
    -Lindsey

Quote Originally Posted by hitchinmygetalong
    I'm serious. Don't even look. Take care of Tex until he is sold, THEN look.

I'll tell you why.

You've had your problems with Tex. You are sure you will sell him. So you go "looking" and you will fall in love with the first halfway nice horse you see. Since everyone will go into a panic that the nice horse will get sold before you can sell Tex, you will buy the nice horse. Now you have three horses, one of which is going to end up sitting around being ignored - Tex.

Spend your time putting some spit and polish on the horse you want to sell. Continue with your riding lessons. Continue working with Sheza. But please don't make things hard on yourself by looking at other prospects until Tex is sold.
    That is true. I think we need to make a decision soon then about selling him, isn't this the best time to sell?

I will tell you though, if he does sell, I will need a support group I know he would go to a good home but I would miss him terribly, it would be better in the end though
    -Lindsey

Are you looking for horses within "driving" range? What's your zip?

That horse's temperament is a 7 - not sure I'd want one of those if I were looking for a confidence builder. He is very cute though.

DJ, please take a little advice from someone who grew up riding at a hunter/jumper barn and riding the horses of girls whose parents bought a trained jumper whose temperament didn't suit the kid. They ended up on lesson horses, and I ended up on their horses.

Look at temperament and suitability for your family first, then see if it jumps- and buying a horse that hasn't jumped isn't such a bad thing. You could always have a friend who is an experienced rider start the horse over fences- IF you still want to do jumping by the time you have gotten to know the horse, taken it on trails, given it some time to settle in, and gotten your own confidence back. What you need is a horse that you can RIDE, not a horse that you can jump.

Every 14 year old girl (and I was exactly the same) wants nothing more than a flashy, talented jumper. But these days what I'd really like to do is endurance (although I bought myself an eventing prospect anyway.... best laid plans of mice and men). If you buy yourself a nice beginner-safe horse with a willing attitude, it can learn to jump- get something versatile, in case your own plans change.

Lukey might do okay with you, but what about your parents? They need a safe trail horse.

Please go with a compatible, safe horse, not necessarily under 15 (I know a 30 year old horse that is still competitive in barrel racing and 100% sound!), with the soundness and versatility to do jumping AFTER you relax and gain some confidence.
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

I assume you do not have a trainer?

I realize you are very confident in your own abilities but having someone with more experience to help you find a SUITABLE horse is IMO, worth the commission. Is there anyone that you know that would be willing to help you out?

I have to disagree with the above post...an inexperienced rider teaching a horse to jump is a disaster waiting to happen even if they are under a trainer's watchful eye. It CAN work but lots of times it doesn't...and the horse ends up paying the price.
    \"Don\'t go throwing effort after foolishness\" >>>Spur, Man From Snowy River

I'd say pay attention to those temperament numbers. You really want a 1 or a 2. (Heck, I bought a 2 and I'd been riding for decades). It's true that the numbers won't give you all of the details of a horse's temperament, but the seller is trying to give you a sense of the horse's reactivity.

A low number is good not only because it will give you a chance to learn on a horse that is calm enough to pay attention, but also, should you decide later on to move on to another horse, it is way easier to re-sell a "kid-safe, husband-safe" horse than it is a reactive (even if brilliant) horse.

But it's also good advice not to actively look for another horse until you have Tex placed.

Good luck.

My point was that DJ is not ready to jump yet, so jumping training should not be the first consideration. She may not even want to jump by the time she is ready to do it- she needs to get some good confidence building rides in first, and I recommended she have someone with experience teach the horse to jump IF she still wants to jump him later. The last thing she and her parents need is a 'hot' horse that is a fine jumper.

Good for you DJ. You will no doubt be much happier.
    Even though it is already sold, this is the kind of horse you should be looking for:
    http://www.equine.com/Horses/ad_deta...e978458164&p=6
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

OakesBrae, my zip is 66053 and I would like to look only around 75 miles.

You can't really judge a temperment in numbers, so if the horse's temperment is not good when I am riding I wouldn't buy it, I bet Sheza would be a 10 :P

I have a trainer that I can take with me the second time I look at a horse.

As for jumping, I have been jumping, lesson horses and Sheza, and I am looking into eventing, thats why Smokie sounds great. I love the speed and height of jumping, but the power of dressage.
    -Lindsey

Quote Originally Posted by To the MAX
    Good for you DJ. You will no doubt be much happier.
    Even though it is already sold, this is the kind of horse you should be looking for:
    http://www.equine.com/Horses/ad_deta...e978458164&p=6
    I am sure I will be, even though it will be tough selling him, I will make sure it's a good home, and an option to first refusal.

That horse is just what I have been looking for, too bad he is sold, and in Ohio, but it's want I want.
    -Lindsey

DJ, let me know when you're ready to start promoting Tex for sale. I'll be happy to put up fliers in the barn where I board one of my horses. There are 100+ horses out there, most of them QHs and someone is always looking for a nice young horse.