The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Quote Originally Posted by Tory Relic
    This one may be up for the "best hijacking of a thread" award!
    I have finished yet, but I agree, Tory. I am cracking up and reading this to my husband!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeLawyer

Finally, I would not advise ever sending a horse to where you cannot visit him/her on a regular basis. I have seen horses receive very poor treatment in some instances, even in very fancy barns with BNTs, when the owner is absent.
    Yup. See it every day. Horses nobody cares about in the back pasture with horrible feet and covered in mud and flies.
    Incredible Invisible Bookworm Clique!
    Proud Closet Canterer!
    "Understanding is the first step to acceptance, and only with acceptance can there be recovery."
    The Goblet of Fire

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer
    My question to these people is - have you considered euthanasia?

My BO has an appointment for Thursday to have a neurologically damaged horse put down. It's the right thing to do.
    Hmmmm.....I have a neurologically damaged (i.e. stoopud) DH. I'm sure putting him down is the right thing to do, but the vet won't return my calls.
    Founder of the Olde Farte Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Summershyne7
    Yup. See it every day. Horses nobody cares about in the back pasture with horrible feet and covered in mud and flies.
    Now see...here's case of "my" version of abuse vs. "your" version of abuse.

in back pasture and covered in mud sound positively delightful to my ears on the list of "how to make a horse happpy".

Flies and and horrible feet...no argument there!
    =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    ~Jilltx~

Default So True

Quote Originally Posted by jilltx
    Now see...here's case of "my" version of abuse vs. "your" version of abuse.

in back pasture and covered in mud sound positively delightful to my ears on the list of "how to make a horse happpy".

Flies and and horrible feet...no argument there!
    Yup, my mare LOVES her back pasture -- so much better than being in a stall day and night. Mud, heck, she's a mud puppy. It repels flies .

Mine does have fly repellent and gets her feet done regularly, but in a pinch, I'd feed her first!
    Freaky Farm Hermit Clique
    Mighty Thoroughbred Clique COMH Page: Tory Relic

Quote Originally Posted by Summershyne7
    Well if you see this poor animal everyday (i assume at your farm you are baby sitting) YOU CAN CARE. You can be the one to make a difference in this animals life. Don't just tut tut and tsk tsk and feel all rightious and walk on by, patting yourself on the back for "noticing". DO MORE THAN NOTICE. ACT.

Several comments here.

RR, did you get any freebies for the kids meal at Perkins, House of Ill Repute (and no, I don't frequent, I'm an Independent Contractor). Because if you did, I may need them. And I was already nice enough to PM you about where to find Crunchie bars at 88 cents a pop.

Fullmoon Fever, you need a different vet, one more sensitive to your needs. Extra points if he's a hottie.

As far as Stretch Armstrong, I have one in lab. My godson overpulled and Mr. Armstrong became a double amputee. We did save the limbs but his humoral fluid (resin? fairy bubbles? glue?) leaked out in drips, so he now has a settled place of honor above my lab bench, and he is a permanent fixture since the resin that dripped hardened and he is stuck to the gas pipes for all time. But I will NEVER EVER send him to a retirement facility. Eventually he may tell me he needs to be put down, but for now, every time I glance at his vacant stare, he doesn't seem to be telling me anything.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Im kind of in the middle. I have sent two horses "free to good home". One was a horse we actually rescued from the auction and brought home, fed, cleaned up, but it was gated and we had nothing for the horse to do. We found some great saddle seat people who took the mare and now they show her all over virginia. I had another mare that was my western pleasure qh show mare. She fractured her pelvis and was no longer sound for heavy riding and couldnt lope properly. This mare went free to good home to an older lady and her husband. The husband had a horse and the wife wanted a nice quiet horse to brush and trail ride it ocassionaly at the walk. Both owners check in with me from time to time to tell me how great the horses are doing. Sometimes there are good situations for horses needing semi retirement. Not every horse is happy to just be turned out with no attention. Horses need effection. I have several on my farm that will never leave becuase they have problems that I dont want someone else trying to deal with. One horse I have is COMPLETELY blind. He is 12 years old. I have owned him since he was 5. He will continue to live out his very happy life with me in his nice safe paddock with his small pony girlfriend who is also retired due to severe founder.

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
    Fullmoon Fever, you need a different vet, one more sensitive to your needs. Extra points if he's a hottie.
    Hmmmm. Yes, I can see your point! Current vet(s) are: (1) older and widowed (reminds me of my dad ), but has a son who is also a vet....will have see if travel to his area and see if he's a hottie; and (2) (very bitter) going through a wicked separation and divorce....NOT a hottie.

DH has somewhat redeemed himself today. He helped me collect specimens from the septic tank for my microbiology lab. (don't ask!) I'm sure 99% of my pissy attitude towards him is due to having to deal with the bed/bed company from hell for the past year (sleep deprivation and all that).

I have just ordered a replacement mattress from Sears for about, oh 1/6 the price this fruit-batting "sleep set" cost me and I'm willing to bet I will sleep like the angels are rocking me once I get it next week! (At least I better!)
    Founder of the Olde Farte Clique

There's almost 17,000 views, and I account for only 15,000 of these, so this is one popular thread! Do we win a rosette? A huge one, with lots of colored streamers from Hodges? Do we get a silver tray, and our name engraved on the permanent one that resides with COTH?

I am so excited. When a Ribbon Ho feels she's that close to nailing a huge ribbon, better watch out.
    www.specialhorses.org

Land of cold, snow, & bugs, AKA Minnie Soda

Duct Tape Ribbins, Geek, Duct Tape Ribbons.
    Co-founder of White Trash Dressage (WTD)
    http://www.lulu.com/mavw1971
    also available on Amazon.com
    http://www.cafepress.com/wtdressage

Can duct tape stream?
    www.specialhorses.org

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard Ridge
    We interrupt the regularly scheduled program to bring you yet another weird true to life story from RR that is totally unrelated to anything but she feels the need to share because it has been raining for many days here in NJ and Mr. RR has been out of town (back now, thank G-d) and the wee (human) ones are 1 and 3 and despite a glowing report a week ago or so that her riding ring is done, the report was in fact erroneous the ring is not done and will not be done unless the rain gods cut us some freaking slack already.

OK. So this is about Barbie.

So, Mr. RR was out of town for a few days, which generally leads to chaos and frequent dining out. My children are fairly well trained, so I can take them places by myself.

Perkins, a Pancake House of Ill Repute every Tuesday night has kids eat free night WITH a character! You know, like SpongeBob SquarePants or Clifford. So last night I call them, desperate, thinking, dear G_d, I have to get out of this house. Who is the character? Swan Lake Barbie.

WTF?

WTF is Swan Lake Barbie? I don't know. I tell The Elder (who is a boy) that the character is Swan Lake Barbie and he utters the 3 year old human equivelant of WTF? (Something like, "Mommy? Who is Swan Lake Barbie?"). I say "How should I know?" pack them in the car and off we go to Perkins, Pancake House of Ill Repute.

We walk in. Here I am thinking Swan Lake Barbie is going to be some nubile young waitress with large ta-tas dressed all in pink and, maybe, feathers. This is not the case. Swan Lake Barbie is a freaking hag. I mean, she has got to be 70 years old, has an ENORMOUS Dolly Parton type ... wig (ha! got you!) swamping a wrinkled up old face time has not been kind to with a Wicked Witch of the West Nose jutting out. Dressed all in black.

My kids freaked.

I mean freaked.

Swan Lake Barbie my a$$.

OK. Done. Thanks.

Thank you for that entertaining story! I can relate, I have a 3 and 4 year old but mine are badly behaved so I would not have attempted the outing even for a Breyer!
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Land of cold, snow, & bugs, AKA Minnie Soda

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
    Can duct tape stream?
    Absofreakinglutely. Just have to make sure the streamers are placed so they cannot stick to anything so that they can stream properly.
    Co-founder of White Trash Dressage (WTD)
    http://www.lulu.com/mavw1971
    also available on Amazon.com
    http://www.cafepress.com/wtdressage

Quote Originally Posted by MSP

Thank you for that entertaining story! I can relate, I have a 3 and 4 year old but mine are badly behaved so I would not have attempted the outing even for a Breyer!
    No prob. Did me a world of good getting that one off my chest, let me tell you.

Oh, and Geek. Did you notice that the package I sent you was sealed with RED DUCT TAPE????????????

Didja???

http://news.com.com/IT+glitch+result...l?tag=nefd.top

Oh, and check out the above link! I can't believe we MISSED IT!!!!!!

RR, Yes, I did. And I tried to explain to my lab kiddies that that means you "loff" me. But they do not understand the complexities of all that is duct tape. They did not even question the source of the crunchies, even when I explained it was a trade off for stale peeps.

They think I am spending too much time in my office posting on COTH...I mean, reading grants.
    www.specialhorses.org

Quote Originally Posted by fullmoon fever
    Hmmmm. Yes, I can see your point! Current vet(s) are: (1) older and widowed (reminds me of my dad ), but has a son who is also a vet....will have see if travel to his area and see if he's a hottie
    Heck, ship me the dad! I like older men and I've always wanted a vet of my very own, especially if his fantasy is to operate a nice rescue and retirement facility for Thoroughbreds with a new wife who cleans stalls but doesn't cook or clean.