The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I hate when people put things in their ads that show how ignorant they are. Such as calling an appendix QH a Thoroughbred. It's either a TB or it is not, there is no substitute . Or using the word Thoroughbred to describe a purebred something. Duh.
    Or saying he is 16.5 hands high. Or calling anything under 2 a "colt" (even if it's a filly). Calling a pinto a paint or a paint a pinto. Pinto is a color paint is a breed people. I really hate backyard redneck photos of people in shorts and flip flops jumping some rail thin nag over a hay bale and saying it's a grand prix prospect (yes this ad was on dreamhorse). As someone else posted, get the broken lawnchairs, halfnaked toddlers and broken down cars out of your photos. It's bad enough Larry the Cable Guy is riding it, at least make the photo halfway decent
    If they can't accurately measure their horse or even tell what sex it is, I wonder what kind of care the horse has had. And I wonder what kind of training mess the horse will be.
    And what some of you already posted, selling 3 year olds as made children's horses when they should be green broke, stuff like that.
    I'm not too uptight about the photo thing, I can shoot off an email and ask for one real quick. I have an ad up now for a sale pony mare, but I don't have a photo of her because she was out on a trial but came back. And my digital camera is broken now anyway.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

I also hate those cryptic ads that don't tell you how old the horse is, how tall, gender etc.

But my all time pet peeve is seeing some 2 year old with a Marlon Brando weigh-a-like slouched on his back. "Going well under saddle, started over X-rails". OH. MY. GOD.

no price
    no gender
    no height
    no age
    no confo pics

On the other hand: idiot sellers who don't know the breed or height of their horse/mare/whatever it is also don't know if they have a quality animal. In that case, you might find yourself a diamond in the rough. Personally, I prefer dealing with sellers who have a clue, but a friend of mine specializes in plucking pasture pets for 1K or so and turning them into real horses for fun and profit.

A lot of things drive me nuts, but lately the thing that gets me is ads that state the horse is a cross, but not what kind of cross.

"QH cross!" well... QH crossed with WHAT?

It makes me nutty, even though it really doesn't MATTER and if I was actively looking for a horse, there are things I'd look for before caring about the breeding. But it's just nice to know, and for some reason it makes me crazy when browsing the ads.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

"Visit my Website for more information"

But the horse isn't ON the website, or the website includes only pics of the horse's great grandfather, or the horse is suddenly a different price with different training.

"Will go cheaper to a good home"

What? So if you deem me a poor home you'll still sell the horse to me, but for $1,000 more? Ah the price of peace of mind.

Listing the horse as a Western, Roping, Jumping, Eventing, Dressage, Hunter Prospect.

Pick a discipline. Even I know that a horse who makes a good calf roper isn't much of a GP prospect.

You can call me a Dressage snob... but an "American Warmblood" is not a warmblood, it's a draft cross.
    the things that i had not ought to
    i do because i ve gotto
    wotthehell wotthehell

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Spent a year shopping and acquired a long list of pet peeves.

1. No price listed. Okay, you don't want to waste time stating a price, I'm not going to waste time calling.

2. Lousy photos. I'm going to assume that the picture you have of your horse shows the horse on a good day, if not at his best. So as a buyer I am going to assume that the photo that "doesn't do the horse justice" because it shows the horse hanging a leg, shows the horse as he is.

3. Head shots and nothing else. I'm glad that Pony has a pretty head, but I hope that's not his best asset.

4. A supposed "Small Junior Hunter" shown jumping a crossrail.

5. Too many adjectives. I'm glad that you love your horse enough to describe him as a "stunningly beautiful top-of-the-line 15.3 3/4 small junior hunter (permanent card.) A++ beautiful floaty mover, always wins the hack in the best of company. Classic picture-book form over fences, excellent bascule, fabulous with front end. Immense floaty 16' stride." But you wouldn't do him a disservice if you advertised him as an "attractive 15.3 3/4 (perm. card) Small Junior. Hack winner, great jumper, big stride."

6. "Wins the hack in any company." You'd better have the results to prove it. If you want to say something like this, say "Never beaten in the hack," which gives leeway because it represents a past state. Sure, it's semantics, but you're advertising.

7. Misrepresentation of the horse. Big peeve. A horse who is 15.3 on a tall day should not be represented as 16.2. A Percheron/TB should not be advertised as a Holsteiner. (American Warmblood would be acceptable if he is in fact registered. If not, why not just call the horse a TBx and have done with it?) A horse who is in fact a chronic bolter should not be advertised as "kick-along quiet." A chronic rearer needs to have that fact acknowledged.

8. No contact info for the seller. There was an ad like this on big eq a year or so ago. I was interested by the horse, he was in my price range, try to contact the seller and no phone number is listed. No e-mail. No website. Horse was somewhere on the East Coast. Okay, I'll go look.

9. Ad which looks like it was written by a second-grader. Or written in 'net slang.

10. Rider in tank top and shorts jumping Pony bareback, halter and shank, over an upturned wheelbarrow. Well, at least Pony has a heart of gold.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox
    It is CONFORMATION, not confirmation.

Yikes.
    "Grand Prix Prospect, Could Go All The Way To The Supreme Court!"

Other profoundly useless photos: "The Winter Woolies" shot and "Tied to the Trailer from 20-Feet Away" ... or, "Herd In Field: Dobbin Is the Fifth Horse on Right, By The Tree... see that chestnut blob over there?"

No photo but a lucid and info-packed description is better than a lousy one that fails to support (or utterly contradicts) the description.

Ans then there's this one: QHs with Impressive breeding and no mention of HYPP status.

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird!
    Hey speak for yourself...I'd LOVE to have a link to THAT one!!
    If I can find the ad, I'll post it on here. I kid you not- pony was jumping into the lake!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

This sounds petty, but it sort of irks me when they put "Loves to Jump!"
    Ok, whatever....
    SouvenirFarm.com: Rustic Wall Decor & Garden Accents | Gifts for Nature, Garden & Horse Lovers | MerryLegs Horse Christmas Stockings

When heights are listed that little apostraphe thingie ['] that the rest of the USA understands as meaning FEET. It's already bad enough that the horse world has adopted what is generally accepted as an expression of a decimal figure as applicable to inches (16.2 as sixteen hands plus two inches, not sixteen and two-tenths hands). Some yo-yo tells me his horses is 15.4 hands is not nearly as far off base as the yo-yo who tells me her horse is 16' tall.

I also hate poor photos, bad spelling, bad grammar, ads typed in all caps, contradictions, and the usual sorts of things most of you have been listing. But the one thing that sends me completely off the deep end is young untrained horses advertised as "kid's horse". Grrr.

My son's a toddler, so he's not quite ready for a pony of his own, but I look now and again to see what's out there. Wouldn't turn the perfect pony down if it was staring me in the face, but not making much of an effort either. However, when I go to equine.com, for example, and do a seach for beginner/kid safe, and huge numbers of horses that aren't even started undersaddle, or have "30 days" on them, it drives me nuts!

I don't know if anyone else said this but:
    prospective: hunter, jumper, dressage, trail horse, barrel racer, western pleasure, race horse, mystikal unicorn, etc... come on, at lease pick 2!

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

A slight tangent here ... lately I've been looking at ads on breeders' Web sites. You would be surprised how many don't list their stallions' heights. If we're talking about a warmblood or something, then it's safe to assume we're talking 15.2+. But if you're looking at Welsh Cobs (Section D) or Connemaras, where the breed standard encompasses both pony and horse heights, I'd like to know how tall your stud is so I can have an idea of what the babies might end up being if out of a 14.3 mare.

Just stating that baby is "by Studly, our Connemara, out of Mareish, a TB" doesn't tell me much ... there are quite a few Connemaras in the pony range and quite a few in the 15h+ range. If you don't give heights for either the stallion or the mare, it can be hard to tell whether you expect baby to finish a pony or a small horse. A small horse I can ride; a medium pony I cannot!

Some breeders are really good about putting a height they expect the baby to finish around, or it's easy to tell from the Web site what their breeding program's goals are, so you can tell they're aiming for sport ponies or whatever. Some have remarkably few details about basics. Or maybe there's something among Connemaras and some Welsh Sections where height just isn't emphasized?

No price bugs the hell out of me too. It used to just frustrate me, because instead of knowing at a glance whether the horse in question is in your price range, you've got to call/e-mail someone and hope you get up with them. Now, though, it makes me a little suspicious. I've heard stories about people who've found out that the price they were quoted was well more than what the seller quoted someone else, etc.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

I won't even look at ads if the price is not listed. Period. UNLESS, the description and photo grabs my attention and fits my criteria to a tee! Then I might contact the seller.

Also, ads for seasoned show horses that list their accomplishments (AQHA world show placed for example) accompanied with blurry pics of an unkempt horse crosstied on a groom rack, grazing out in a paddock with it's pasturemate (which horse is it???) or with the owner's toddler straddling the show saddle. I can't stand those. I'd like to see a show pic or at least a pic of the horse under tack performing the discipline it was trained for. And It's been said before but I'll say it again. The height of horse listed as 16.5, or, my all time fave, listing horse as nearly 17h but you go try the horse and it barely sticks at 15.2

Oh, and how can I forget the ads that tug at your heartstrings but are almost always posted by horse dealers. For example, "need to sell by this weekend or sending to auction!" or "Every horse must go! If they don't sell by such and such date, sending to auction."

1. No Price.

2. Bad pictures. Those pictures are your marketing tool, do you really think that they would market the new Michael Jordan shoe by showing Mike NOT making the basket? I think not. If the horse is hanging its legs, pinning its ears, whipping its tail or other unattractive quirks, then I am going to assume that is how the horse goes.

3. Horses flagged as "potential ___" when they are 8-12 years old. Especially "3'6" potential" when the horse is 10 and shown jumping a cross rail. Seriously, if that is true then I am updating my resume to say, "Potential to end world hunger and find the cure for AIDS and Cancer." Hey it could happen?

4. Everyone says that their horse trailers, clips, ties, stands for the farrier, wants to please their rider, will vet clean and is easy to work with. Now I have been at a lot of barns and there are only a handfull of such horses out there--they can't all have great personalities and perfect manners and be healthy--more than likely I am going to come out to try Precious and I will figure out what she/he is actually like anyway, so why patronize me at the onset?

I guess I'm an oddball about pictures. I would much rather see a good photo, but bad photos usually give me enough information to decide yes or no on the horse. That excludes, of course, some of the bad photos shared by people on this board. I can't tell anything from a side/rear angle of one back leg and part of the tail.

I can't stand seeing multiple pictures of the exact same thing. There is an ad for a "dressage" horse on a local web site that I saw that had 3 pictures of the horse just standing there. In two, he was in the exact same position, only his head had moved a little. Okay, it was a decent conformation photo. I appreciate that. I don't need to see it twice b/c his head's a little to the left now.

Then the third pic was of the horse tacked up, with a rider on it just standing squre in the arena. After 2 conformation shots, this shot told me nothing except that the horse can be made to stand square with his nose on the vertical...

If you're paying for multiple pictures, make them count! Show the horse actually MOVING in one of them.

Horses (espec Walking horses) posed standing on an uphill slope so they "look" uphill....
    like this: http://www.walking-horse.com/showcas...GoldenBoy.html

or this:http://agdirect.com/scripts/hrsdetl.exe?1148596312&0
    or this: http://agdirect.com/scripts/hrsdetl....8575538&0:mad:

"Loves to Jump!"
    Ha ha. I sold a mare with the "Loves to Jump" phrase. I wasn't kidding. The mare loved to jump. That got the people to call me. The young ammie came out and rode her. Gorgeous rider. Loved her. Then, accidentally did an oops to a decent sized oxer. Miss "Loves to Jump" pricked her cute little ears and jumped right over. Rider was unseated and the horse took 2 strides and stopped. Waited for the girl to shimmy back where she belonged. They bought her.

3. Horses flagged as "potential ___" when they are 8-12 years old. Especially "3'6" potential" when the horse is 10 and shown jumping a cross rail. Seriously, if that is true then I am updating my resume to say, "Potential to end world hunger and find the cure for AIDS and Cancer." Hey it could happen?
    That's what I am talking about. Real potential and imagined fairy tale potential are two very different things.