The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

FWIW, I'm a senior employee at this barn and it IS my job to enforce policy when the BO is not around. The horse did NOT need that much hay. The stall in question was NOT that dirty, and it did NOT "smell." If they really thought it was that bad, they could have cleaned it. But no, bitching is more fun...

As for ME being rude, I only responded in kind to what was being said in front of me. I did not "mouth off" to this woman, as much as I wanted to.
    SBT, I wasn't sure why you were so upset either, until you clarified that you are an employee of the barn, and are enforcing the barn's policies. But there are ways of handling the many many idiots you will meet in this business. I totally think you were on the right track with your thought about the pitchfork.

I would have SOOOOO taken that opportunity, with a cheerful "Yes, that horse is such a piglet, here's a pitchfork and muckbucket, I'm sure your sister's hrose will be so much happier if you take the day's poo out!"

As for the hay, I would have been equally cheerful, grabbed the whole armful from the sister and thanked her profusely for getting the hay for three horses for you! Of course, if you'd given ehr the pitchfork to begin with, she might have been too busy to grab so much hay...or too tired!

You're taking offense to it, and you shouldn't. People are entitled to their own opinion.

You weaken your point by starting off complaining about how successful the family is, how big their truck is, and their show accomplishments. There isn't a tinge of envy, is there?

You also have to realise that non-horse peope aren't used to the sight & smell of urine/manure. I do feel bad for that horse standing in 11hours worth of excrement. Honest question... is it typical to not do any picking-out of stalls beyond the once a day when the horse is inside so much? ( I really don't know since I have all my horses living turned out, both at home and when they're boarded)

Nothing personal, but I don't see how a horse standing in a stall that hadn't been cleaned in 11 hours wouldn't have at least some odor. Just because you didn't notice the odor doesn't mean it's not there. Horses poo and pee througout the day, the stuff smells, that's just the way it is. I think you're just offended the people pointed it the obvious. I think you've forgotten how hard to ignore some animal smells can be when you're not accustomed to it.

I personally don't see any harm in giving the horse a little extra hay. You should be happy they care about the horse in a world where the rich people park horses like cars and never visit them or care for them. I can understand the BO limits how much hay... but if this horse has been stalled all day/evening, does he really only get a few flakes of hay a day? Would it really hurt the BO to allow them an extra flake or two for this one special visit?

Think of their point of view: here they are looking after their family's beloved horse, trying to keep her comfortable, and a stranger comes along and yells at them for giving their horse hay. You're worried about how people percieve your barn. Being angry with them or having a confrontation about hay policy may not be the best way to maintain great client/public relations. I think how they're treated by employees & fellow boarder is just as important as anything else.

From an employee's point of view you do have a right to remind them of barn rules. Clearly they didn't know the rule. It doesn't make them bad people.

You can tell the BO if you want, but I'm not seeing what it is they did that was so dangerous or wrong. But the real question is what do you want the BO to do about it? You already corrected the visitor about hay policy. There's nothing else that needs to be done.

Bottom line: take a deep breath. Relax. Put it out of your mind & move on.

goad love adove -- tis was a family conversation between siblings look to me if there hay then it should be fed ab lib best thing for ahorse is hay

so on that score havent a problem god oliie gets a bale to himself at night hes 172hh warm blood smallest of 11.2h get 3 sectiions othere get half and gracie 3/4 of a bale and if then in during the day then the same constant hay as that what they do outside constantly eat the grass-- and pick the best palces to eat it to--

dont get so defensive just forget it

I have to say mind your business as well. My horse is stabled most of the time and stalls are picked and repicked and if I want to go get my horse some more hay then I will. Not up to you to tell another boarder they can't feed THEIR OWN HORSE more hay. I bet you would have totally flipped if they told you what you could and couldn't do with your horse.

Alysheba
    Ya can't pay bills, rescue horses and buy rescue groups much needed supplies with brains!

Again, if I had to choose between money and CLASS, I would choose money, you can't rescue horses and buy rescue groups much needed supplies with CLASS!

At my funeral my children will talk about all the things I did to change the world and make it a better place.

At hers...they will say she had "class"

By the way, my daughter has only gotten spanked twice in her life. Why? because I raised her to have CLASS and never treat ppl that way!

Nuff said.
    The above quotes say so much about you and your values that I actually feel embarassed for you. People with brains and class get much further in life (financially and otherwise) than people who have money handed to them and they tend to be happier along the way, as well. And, BTW, all the things you listed that you can't do with brains and class really make you look like an idiot b/c people with brains tend to be better at almost everything you mentioned. And since when does buying things make the world a better place?
    Anywho, I hope you're having a better day today SBT.

Quote Originally Posted by SBT
    Ya know, this board never ceases to amaze me...

FWIW, I'm a senior employee at this barn and it IS my job to enforce policy when the BO is not around. The horse did NOT need that much hay. The stall in question was NOT that dirty, and it did NOT "smell." If they really thought it was that bad, they could have cleaned it. But no, bitching is more fun...

As for ME being rude, I only responded in kind to what was being said in front of me. I did not "mouth off" to this woman, as much as I wanted to.

Thanks to TheJenners, RainDancer, and others who can see where I'm coming from.
    Well....I think you did have a right to say something b/c you are an employee there. Being an employee makes a difference.

I think you handled it as well as can be expected under the circumstances. You made it clear that she was an outsider with no right to help herself to barn hay.
    I always think of the snappy comeback hours, even days, later, so I think you did just fine. :-)
    She certainly had a lot to say about the place...too bad she didn't just put her money where her mouth is and pick out the horse's stall if she thought it looked so terrible.

I find it interesting that she grabbed 4 flakes of hay, but did not pick up a pitch fork. If she thought the stall was gross, she should have done something about it.

I think it's great that she wanted to see her friend's horse in a clean stall with hay.... but really, if you speak, you need to act. I think some people just like to hear themselves pontificate. It's a trait that crosses all income levels.

so...if you're a 'senior employee' (LOL) then throw the person out if she bothers you so much. i'm sure the owner of the farm would LOVE to lose 450-750 dollars a month because some visitor LOOKED at you wrong. usually, if people take hay, the punishment for the heinous act is to tell the person, 'don't take hay'.

I'm a little confused. Is this a self-care barn? If, in fact, the stalls hadn't been mucked in 12 hours, and if, in fact it smelled bad in the sister's horse's stall (and I think it probably did, if it hadn't been cleaned in 12 hours), isn't it the "senior employee"s" job to fix the problem?

I'm guessing your feelings were hurt, and your were embarassed that someone thought you weren't doing a very good job.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

"Senior employees" usually take a wider view of the business than what the OP describes. It would have been smarter to treat the people like valued clients, not "nasty visitors." If the horse is a bit of a pig, I bet the stall was pretty nasty if the horse had been in all day and it hadn't been picked for many hours. And while the horse might indeed not have needed four flakes of hay... good will is worth a lot - and probably more than the cost of a single flake of hay. Unless of course it is more important to you to be the voice of authority... enforcing the rules.

Boarding operations are service businesses, and the successful ones are run with the clients' satisfaction in mind. Yes, of course there are rules, but I would fire an employee who felt the need to dictate to a CLIENT whether they could throw the horse an extra flake of hay... and I would APOLOGIZE if the stall was dirty. There is a nice way to say, "Gee, we are staffed such that the stalls are cleaned every morning and sometimes they do get a bit messy by this hour of the afternoon." I'd also praise an employee who said, "Let me pick that out for you real quick..." which would have made a much better impression and might have taken all of five minutes. THAT is the role of a "senior employee" first and foremost - customer satisfaction is KEY.

SBT, many of your posts have focused on how little you think of the clients and other riders at your barn, as well as your previous employment struggles. Trying to adopt a more customer-friendly attitude would probably serve you well, and might make you a more valuable employee.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Evalee Hunter
    Linny - I enjoy your posts on TBs about which you are extremely knowledgeable. But SBT is a young woman mouthing off to an older adult. This post has nothing to do with a "child" (or teenager) glaring at anyone - the teenager wasn't present. The adults were the teenager's mother & the mother's sister. The child in this whole thing is the original poster.
    After re-reading for comprehension, I realize that it's not the A circuit rider, but her mom who was acting this way. My mistake. I was watching TV and reading...

SBT is surely younger than this person but she is an employee of the barn and has every right to say something. If a visitor marched into any barn I've ever ridden at and started distributing hay they'd be told not to. First, give one horse a few flakes and the whole barn goes into "dinnertime!!" mode and second it's simply not their business.
    If Geoge Morris himself walked into the barn and stated giving out hay, I'd think it wrong and rude.

As far as making comments about the standard of care, she should have done so when they got back in the car. To do so in the barn was crass and intended to make herself look like she (and her A circuit daughter) were so much better than the crew at SBT's barn.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

And unless I am doing my math wrong and looked at the wrong profile...isn't the OP something like 28? I hardly think of that as a younger person by that age.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

28? Very young. Very very young. ; )

The visitor was rude. Nothing to do with money or class.

But, if a horse has been inside for most of a day, the stall needs to be picked at least once again after a thorough morning cleaning. If it's self care (or some variation), then the clients are responsible. If it isn't, the stall should be taken care of.

As for the hay, I absolutely agree that having hay in front of them for most of the time if they're stalled is the right thing. Not sure if he needs 4 flakes in one "sitting" but it's important that it's there.

Well, being a barn employee changes everything - then what goes on is your business.

From my perspective (62 years old), 28 is very, very young.

Quote Originally Posted by Evalee Hunter
    The person in the original post is an ADULT with a child old enough to be showing.

If the birth date given in the profile is accurate, SBT is a young woman, almost certainly younger than the person she mouthed off to about hay.

I’ll say it again – she doesn’t own the barn, she doesn’t manage the barn, she should shut her mouth & mind her own business, especially when interacting with her elders. If the barn owner is truly concerned about hay usage, hay should be locked up.

... Linny - I enjoy your posts on TBs about which you are extremely knowledgeable. But SBT is a young woman mouthing off to an older adult. This post has nothing to do with a "child" (or teenager) glaring at anyone - the teenager wasn't present. The adults were the teenager's mother & the mother's sister. The child in this whole thing is the original poster.

Evalee Hunter - What does being younger have to do with anything? As a "child" (23), I don't like the idea of having to accept the "elders" I interact with (in a barn or not) to be acceptable or correct.

Pedophiles might be one extreme example. Just because one is older, doesn't mean they are correct in what they say or do. If everyone younger than these offenders were to shut their mouth and mind their own business, this world would be a terrible place to live.

There is an older (middle-aged) client at my barn. I am not an employee, I am a fellow boarder. This client feels it is acceptable to take my horse out of his stall whenever they feel like it (without my permission and when I am absent), and criticizes the equipment I use. I have already tagged this person as a complete ninny worth nothing but a vacant smile and nod, regardless of our age difference.

If there was a sign up in the barn - posted by the BARN OWNER - and the OP is an employee, there was nothing wrong with her trying to follow the barn owner's wishes. Hay fed by staff only. Pretty simple, no? If there are to be special exceptions for particular people, those should be stated at the bottom of the notice.

The visitor, IMHO, was crass. No need for her to adopt a "holier-than-thou" attitude about the place. I think the OP did quite a good job, and didn't publicly (ie. to these people's faces) say or do anything that would adversely affect anyone's perception of the facility.

Quote Originally Posted by slc2
    taste of reality helps too. there are very few boarding barns that would agree that your horse needs to have hay in front of him 24/7.
    For my ulcer pony the answer has been for me to buy excess hay over her 4 flakes of farm hay.

I am perfectly happy with that arangement!

Steph

Quote Originally Posted by Bebe Falcon
    Evalee Hunter - What does being younger have to do with anything? As a "child" (23), I don't like the idea of having to accept the "elders" I interact with (in a barn or not) to be acceptable or correct.

Pedophiles might be one extreme example. Just because one is older, doesn't mean they are correct in what they say or do. If everyone younger than these offenders were to shut their mouth and mind their own business, this world would be a terrible place to live.

There is an older (middle-aged) client at my barn. I am not an employee, I am a fellow boarder. This client feels it is acceptable to take my horse out of his stall whenever they feel like it (without my permission and when I am absent), and criticizes the equipment I use. I have already tagged this person as a complete ninny worth nothing but a vacant smile and nod, regardless of our age difference.

If there was a sign up in the barn - posted by the BARN OWNER - and the OP is an employee, there was nothing wrong with her trying to follow the barn owner's wishes. Hay fed by staff only. Pretty simple, no? If there are to be special exceptions for particular people, those should be stated at the bottom of the notice.

The visitor, IMHO, was crass. No need for her to adopt a "holier-than-thou" attitude about the place. I think the OP did quite a good job, and didn't publicly (ie. to these people's faces) say or do anything that would adversely affect anyone's perception of the facility.
    Was there a notice posted? Somehow I missed that. That would be a little different.

I am the one that teased about the age; what I meant was that I sure hope 28 is considered very, very young, because I am older than that and if 28 is "old," well...we won't go there. It was a joke.