The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

If they haven't called you back yet, they may be avoiding you for fear of a confrontation. Like many bullies, they may crumble when somebody stands up to them. It's only a few more days until June 1st. Hang in there. At this point, it would probably cause you more grief trying to get them out early than it would be to wait a few days. Keep everything professional. Do not argue with them about what's right/wrong or why you do things the way you do. Do not let them drag you down to their level and lose your cool. Yes, they will still bad mouth you, but the last thing you need is for them to say that you yelled at daughter for absolutely no reason. Do not give them any fodder. When you interact with them, calmly recite facts and the way you expect things to be done in your barn. Be firm, do not negotiate, do not back down. I would, however, insist that they leave on the 1st. Do not give them extra days, even if they say they'll pay.

Good luck and hang in there!

Oh no, I do not even talk to the daughter anymore because she lied and told people I "screamed" at her once before. This was in another thread a while back. Last week when I explained about the dress sheet, I talked to the mom but loud enough for the daughter to hear. The message I left on the machine was for the mom to call me back. And yes, I am sure that is why they aren't calling me back; the mom has to know that I am unhappy about her teen's behaviour.

I am talking about North Whidbey, so I guess Oak Harbor Pony Club? It isn't South Whidbey, they seem a nice group and my trainer seems to like them as well. If you want to PT me, I'd love to know if the trainer then is the trainer now...I doubt it.

I will be soooo happy when they are gone.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Bumping for an update.

Any contact with the cretins yet?
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

No! Ugh...nothing all day yesterday, I don't know if it would be worth my time and possible finger injury to even try calling them back. It's Monday, they are leaving Thursday. If they know from my call that I am probably not happy with them for whatever reason (unreasonable in their mind I'm sure), then they may not even come out until then.

Even though they are leaving in two days or so (I'm happy for you!) I would make it crystal clear to them that they are not allowed in the feed room, nor are they allowed to handle other people's feed, supplements, etc. I have been fortunate that even when I have had to ask a boarder, or a member of our co-op to leave, it hasn't gotten to that horrible point. But the barn is Yours, and you shouldn't have to put up with that kind of attitude on your own property.
    If that kid goes into Pony Club with that kind of entitlement attitude, I think she'll be in for a well deserved ego slap-down pretty quickly.
    I think you should just keep your communication with them short and to the point...even in a note if necessary, to keep them away from the feed room. They should respect the fact that you are the bo and unless you are making the horses wait a long time for their dinner, or you don't keep a regular routine which would be annoying if I was a boarder, they should respect your barn rules and just get through the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by chai
    If that kid goes into Pony Club with that kind of entitlement attitude, I think she'll be in for a well deserved ego slap-down pretty quickly.
    Nope, unforunately, she won't. Remember what I said about not liking this PC? Yeah, that's why. Of all the PCers I've met or seen at shows, they are all self-centered bratlets with egos so big they need a wheelbarrow to carry them in. Also not all that smart with horses.

Well, then spratlet is going where her "talents" will be appreciated. That worked out quite nicely, don't you think?

Good luck, TJ. Here's hoping that neither mother nor spawn darkens your door again until the first.

Here here! *raises glass*

I'd get up early on Thursday and pile all their crap at the end of your drive (or somewhere), and then tie their horse not too far away so they dont have a reason to meander on your property and look for something to screw with.
    God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses. ~R.B. Cunninghame Graham

I am actually toying with the idea of getting a new paddock, one they don't know the combo to, and locking the tackroom. I do have a little bit of concern that the teen might do something to my tack, because her and her mom were a bit pissed when they bought a Stubben older than me for $400, then spent $400 restuffing it and I bought a $2300 demo saddle for $800.

Exclamation I'm telling you, TJ - leave NOTHING open to them that you mind losing!

You never know what someone will do in the name of meanness and pissiness. Your saddle would conveniently disappear just when they left, but oh, no - they don't know anything about it.

Girl who was a working student at the barn I boarded at in MA was similar. Overweight teen, with a huge, gorgeous OTT TB that she was scared to death of, and a chip on her shoulder so large as to be visible to the naked eye. Came to be a working student, only she never worked. Stalls left uncleaned, horses not turned out, fed late, fed early or not at all, yaddah yaddah yaddah. When her term of service was........abbreviated and she was preparing to leave, the BO's suspicions were aroused by her trunk, which was swaddled in twine and had signs all over it saying, "Private! XXXXX's Stuff! Do not touch!" and the like. When that trunk was opened, shortly before her departure, it was found that WS had squirreled away a host of equipment belonging to the BO and various boarders (but none of mine - just lucky, I guess! ). I was called to come to the barn and look through said trunk to see if XXXXX had stolen anything of mine, and to reclaim it before she left. Man, did she ever have the stuff! Longe lines, wraps, medicines, spare bridles, and stuff you know she'd never use in a million years (hobbles , western tack, etc.) that she took, just to be taking something. Sad person. I sometimes wonder whatever became of her.

So do NOT trust these people any further than you can comfortably throw them. When they arrive on your property, give them the hairy eyeball from the moment they arrive until the dust of their departure is hanging in the evening air. Do not let them alone for a second. Do put a new lock on your feedroom door - a combo, so no key to steal. Do put all of your own tack (including that saddle they lust after) in your house, and lock it in a spare room. Any photos, memorabilia, etc, that you think they'd take for spite, put it away under lock and key. In short, leave nothing out that they'd want to steal. And don't give them a chance to steal anything, by being on them like white on rice the entire time they're packing.

I suppose I will bring my tack into my house or lock it into my truck (easier to move to/from the barn). PITA but better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks again everyone for the replies and letting me feel that I am not a complete bitch for wanting them to leave and being hacked off by their attitude. I'll update if they contact me and when they leave.

Quote Originally Posted by ESG
    Well, then spratlet is going where her "talents" will be appreciated. That worked out quite nicely, don't you think?

Good luck, TJ. Here's hoping that neither mother nor spawn darkens your door again until the first.
    I agree 100%. Best of luck.

So, how did it go? Did they leave quietly?
    God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses. ~R.B. Cunninghame Graham

I've been in just the same situation as you today with two liveries (boarders) leaving after months of more and more petty things, which I ignored (stupiedly) until one of their horses attacked one of mine, in the most aggresive manner, and they laughed and thought it was so clever of him to act like 'such a stallion'. Needless to say that was the last straw and they left today, and the atmosphere is so much better already. Wish I had said something to them months ago - hindsight and all that...
    www.volatis.co.uk - breeders of quality and colour

You know, I think the padlock is a good idea. I am cringing at the thought of what they could do with the feed. Not worth the bad dreams.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Changing the padlock is ALWAYS a good thing. All of mine have combos that can be set (and reset if necessary). That way I don't have to buy new ones and all of them have the same combination so I won't forget!

Here's a toast to getting rid of those barn PITAs...

Default well...

Are they gone.....I hope so.

Yup, they are gone.

Oh, c'mon - you don't think you're going to get off that easily, do you?

Details, girl, details!