The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Definitely the fault of the attending adult, that one's easy.

I also hope the horse is okay.

It's very nice that some people have perfect horses, but I happen to have two TB's and while my gelding is a sweetie, he's mouthy. Does he bite? No way - he's not a biter. Has he ever gone to "mouth" the lead and grabbed my thigh by mistake? Well yes, he has a time or two. And he's immediately sorry - but if that were a toddler's face there would be damage done for sure.

My filly is a nut and is currently testing all boundaries. I'd not put it past her to bite someone in the face right now. Is she "vicious"? Of course not. She's a young horse.
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

Really. Says who? That is a ridiculous load of crap and it is so presumptious of some humans to believe that their species is the only one capable of thoughts, feelings, etc. just because they don't fully understand other species. Different does not automatically equate to inferior.
    LOL...whoa there...deeper seat, exhale and half halt.
    I never said they weren't capable of thoughts or feelings...nor did I even come close to implying they were inferior in any way. I did type out cognitive thought...I certainly hope I did. Not any thought....but the types of brain gymnastics that has them thinking in the same terms as humans do..."Gee, I look fat, I better stop eating." or "Geez, if I bite this child I'll be sent to quarantine". It's a reasoning process..."if this...then that...but if I change this...then that instead." yes, they can have the process where they know things like, "If I bite, I'll get a swat on my shoulder" but they can't associate "Biting is bad because it's socially unacceptable and biting a child is even worse and I should know when to bite and when not to bite...I shouldn't bite out of instinct or annoyance but only if the person is truly evil."
    We cannot prove exactly what goes on in an animal brain...but we do know which parts of the brain control what...and we do know that many to most animals are missing or have undeveloped parts.
    Of course they can feel and think...they just don't do it the same way we do or at the same levels. Doesn't make us any better or them any worse. We have a dreadfully underdeveloped instinct, they have an underdeveloped cognitive brain area. If we follow science...then technically we're not better than animals since we're still evolving. Sharks I'd guess would be supreme perfection since Mother Nature hasn't changed them one bit from dinosaur times, they're perfect for themselves and what they are. (damn scary too )
    So please do not take my post as an insult to horses or anyone personally...I didn't say a single thing in that post to put animals down. We're not them, they're not us. Neither better, just different.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by Merry
    Note to Self: Next time husband's brother comes to visit, lead him directly to the stall of Old Shark Bait and tell him to pet the smiling horsie.

Just to let you know Thomas, with my gelding, his hatred of men is not in my "imagination" , he was treated horribly, and it's taken alot of time just to get over his fear of just being touched, especially on his right side where he has a terrible scar, and where his right ear was used as a crank to hold him imobile, whenever anything had to be done to him (worming).

As an aside to this topic, one of my pet peeves is that we expect animals to behave better and to have more self control than the average man. We expect dogs to allow children to pull on their ears, tails, pinch them, pull on their coats without biting. Same to be said about horses. A "well-broke, bomb proof" horse is expected to allow any stranger to approach and pet them, allow yahoos to jump on them, plop on their back like a sack of bricks, yank on their mouth, talk loudly, gesticulate wildly, while standing quietly.

Now, those of you with husbands...would they allow this to be done to them? If some drunken stranger accosted them, did these things, would said husbands just stand quietly? I know mine wouldn't. Something physical would ensue.

I guess my Rottweiler, who was tragically killed last fall, was better trained than my husband.

Now, I understand, due to safety reasons, that our animals need to be trained to have this control. HOWEVER, I wish more people would really understand how much this goes against their natural instincs, and what a feat it is for the animals to put up with so much with out complaint.

Thanks... off my soap box now...
    "Riding: the art of keeping a horse between yourself and the ground."

~Horsebiters Clique Founder~Drafties~The A Team~Anti-Kohlrahbi Proliferation Group~Elite Closet Canterer...by proxy~

Story time... little 6yr old lives next door to my drylot. Every evening I would shoo her away from my fence telling her to STOP feeding grass to my horses. I explained that horses sometimes can get a bit excited and if hands are not fast enough they might get a chomp. Said kid looks at me and tells me "they wont bite me they are eating the grass". Night after night this goes on. I go next door and ask the mother to please keep her kid off my property and to please make sure her kid stops feeding my horses grass. She pats little Suzie on the head and says oh she just LOVES horses. She isnt hurting them. I let her know they bite. Not true but hey a bit of fear cant hurt. Now on a NORMAL bases my horses do not bite. I have a 2yr old who until this little girl was not super used to being feed anything out of a hand. He nips he is young he is teething. I KNOW my horses dont feed them right? So anyways long story short... not 3 days ago I am go fill up the water etc and I hear this scream from hell. I look in the back and see little Suzie at the fence with my mare. I rush back there and guess what?? Said mare had the kids finger in between her teeth. I get her finger out of my mares mouth and thank God all that was there were the teeth impressions from my horse no broken finger. No blood etc. I tell cute little Suzie to go home and hope she can hear me between wails. Off she goes and I contuine with rounding up the horses to eat. I have plans to go speak with kids mom after my horses are fed. Guess who comes to my door? Oh the cops how nice to see you! Oh you got a report that my horse took a bite of Suzies finger? Great I can smell trouble. I WARNED both kid and mom to stay away from my horses stop feeding them etc. Again they are not aggressive horses but nonhorse ppl sometimes dont understand flat hand no fingers in a horses mouth. So yeah now I get to deal with all the issues that are presented because it was on my property that little Suzie got bit. It was my mean ole horse that bit her. Do I think that little Suzie got what she deserved? No. Am I sorry my horse bit her? Yeah naturally I am sorry but at the same time she and her parent were told to stay away from my horses. So then... am I a bad person because I dont have a bleeding heart for poor little Suzie? I am angry because now I get to deal with my insurance company.. I get to deal with all the problems that happened because oh she LOVES horses and "they wont bite me". My point?? sometimes horses bite. Sometimes horses do more then leave a mark on a finger. Sometimes ppl need to understand that horses are BIG animals and although they are pretty to look at you should not allow your child to feed, pet etc any horse if you have no knowledge of that horse or any horse in general. Accidents happen and I hope the place the little boy got bit does not have to deal with all the drama I have to from a mark on a finger.

I havent read all the posts but this stuff happens a lot. Horses are unpredictable. Just because they have never ever done something before, doens't mena it won't happen!
    My horse has bit someone before.. I got him and he was skin and bones, came off pasture, and was naturally a bit food agressive. A client of a trainer at the barn insisted on giving him treats (by hand) and kissy facing. I told her to not feed or pet him. She kept doing it, and he bit her one day. She wasnt very happy (understandably), but I had told her not to do those things! The horse has never been agressive toward me, but I also wasnt always giving him treats by hand and bucket and kissing on his nose (which he hates). She kept feeding him cookies and on kissing him. One day he bit her on the arm..The horse had to be locked up, signs all over his stall, ended up with a very pissy horse. Moved after that ..
    These days he's grown out of it but I still tell people to be careful when walking past his stall, especially if they have a bucket.
    I am at a boarding barn now that has rental horses. It always amazes me when parents have their kids (about 2 years old) and LIFT them up into the door of the box stalls, while the horses are eating. We (the boarders) tell people not to do it, and there are signs all around the barn not to pet or feed the horses, but people don't listen.
    They just don't understand, or take the time to read signs.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Merry
    Note to Self: Next time husband's brother comes to visit, lead him directly to the stall of Old Shark Bait and tell him to pet the smiling horsie.
    Good one!

Thomas, chill. You know perfectly well that horses bite. They bite all the time. They bite themselves, each other, flies, grass, grain, hay, apples, carrots, and sometimes, whatever is conveying said grass, grain, hay, etc, to their mouths. If it's a child's hand, and that hand gets in the way, time for stitches. But that doesn't make it an ill trained, ill tempered, or otherwise intolerable horse. It just makes it a horse.

Hope the fizzlewit father has learned his lesson, and that that baby isn't too badly injured. And that the BO will invest in some better fencing and warning signs to make sure this doesn't happen again.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

You know, my absolutly purrrfect gelding really doesn't like to be stalled, so he gets a bit ill tempered at shows. He's not much of a biter, but ignore the pinned ears and try to pet him over the stall door and he'll get nasty. I've got a sign on his stall that says he's a biter, but every year he takes a nip at at least one kid being held up by mom or dad to 'pet the pretty pony'. I'm always amazed by the attitude of the parents when I calmly and politely ask if they would please not do that as they are putting their precious child at risk - usually a nasty look and a snide comment. But my absolute favorite are the people who, after I have asked them to "step away from the horse", look down their noses at me and say "I've been around horses for years - he won't bite me". The last person that said that wasn't quite fast enough to avoid Stewie's teeth. My point is, every horse bites and people are stupid. Sad that the child got hurt, but it doesn't sound overly serious - maybe next time Dad won't allow his child to poke, prod, or pull on the ponies.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Thomas1 - wow - must be nice to live in such a perfect world. Do you have real horses or Breyer models?

So you don't mind if strangers come off the street and wander about your barns with their small children, letting the children run around, let horses out, feed them god knows what, or pet sick horses in isolation and then pet the healthy horses?

Ummmm... methinks not.

Of course horses shouldn't bite. Mine don't - although I've gotten careless with a bit of carrot and had my fingers pinched. But I also don't allow strangers to trespass.

But here in lawsuit happy USA, people don't have to take responsibility for their actions. So let's say - if a small child, who isn't supposed to be there in the first place - gets between a horse and a biting fly and gets whacked on the head -someone is getting sued. It's our fault for having things that are attractive to other people. Like a pool.

My comment about not wanting a 3 year old to get pony rides is not based in malice - because I want to "get them while they're young" and this little girl is horse crazy.

It's not her I'm afraid of. I'm afraid of a lawsuit. Even though I have farm insurance. If little precious sprains her ankle from slipping in horse manure, or if a horse spooks - ALL horses spook - and anyone gets hurt - I'm going to be sued. I'll lose everything I have.

JSwan.. the voice of reason among the disillusioned.

Lawsuits - very ugly thing! You can lose your home over a simple accident - I've seen it happen.
    Will get a dream horse!
    More riding, swimming, and rowing, less posting

Quote Originally Posted by Prieta
    Lawsuits - very ugly thing! You can lose your home over a simple accident - I've seen it happen.
    Not with the Homestead act
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1
    I've been around horses all my life and I'd never in a month of Sundays call them unpredictable .... flight and fright animals yes but unpredictable NO WAY

And by the way, I have photos of me in nappies on a 17 hand hunter and my daughters sat on mine when they were toddlers and my grandchildren also sit on my hunters, eventers and point to pointers.

And I DON'T have a petting zoo - I have a commercial equestrian centre with WELL BEHAVED, WELL TRAINED normal horses

In my experience (30+ years training dogs, owning horses and 12 years working in emergency preparedness and emergency response) the worst accidents happen to people who deny that an accident can happen to them. They don't need leashes on their dogs, seatbelts on their children or fire alarms in their businesses.
    Their children, dogs, horses, employees and themselves NEVER make mistakes, have a dumbsh*t moment or run into anyone else having a dumbsh*t moment.
    They go thru life saying
    not my child, not my dog, not my horse, not my business, not my car etc etc etc etc.
    Then when something DOES happen is it the frigging end of the world and they can't point at someone else fast enough.
    Yes, thomas, I am talking to you. I'm glad that your horses are good natured, well trained and trustworthy. But don't be so almighty positive that nothing can ever go wrong in YOUR yard because you do everything right. Unless those horses are stuffed on wheels they might take a mistep someday.
    You may be the best horseman to come down the pike, but you are not immune from having an accident happen to you.
    None of us are.
    I think that is what most of the comments are.....people realizing that this could happen to them too, not saying that all horses do this or that it is perfectly fine, just that the reality is that it COULD happen.

my that was cranky for a Saturday morning. I think it's time I went to the barn and enjoyed my not-perfect horse.

Thumbs up

Well said BarbB!!!
    "Riding: the art of keeping a horse between yourself and the ground."

~Horsebiters Clique Founder~Drafties~The A Team~Anti-Kohlrahbi Proliferation Group~Elite Closet Canterer...by proxy~

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan
    Thomas1 - wow - must be nice to live in such a perfect world. Do you have real horses or Breyer models?

So you don't mind if strangers come off the street and wander about your barns with their small children, letting the children run around, let horses out, feed them god knows what, or pet sick horses in isolation and then pet the healthy horses?

Ummmm... methinks not.
    Can I suggest that before you and the likes of BarB resort to ridiculous allegations and rude and petty insults that you read my postings and perhaps take a little time to undersand what I said and what I actually do! I post under my own name and run an equestrian business and am a total realist with regard to horses - heck its likely I've re-trained more biting horses than you've had hot breakfasts!

You will see that I very specifically said that parents have a responsibility to look after and supervise their children AND yard owners have a responsibility to protect the public.

http://praha.planetsg.com/Forum/show...22#post1633122

However the posting gave NO facts at all as to the circumstances of the horse biting the child and yet a myriad of posters immediately jumped in to suggest that ALL horses are unpredictable and prone to biting. There was absolutely NO sense in the early postings that there might be a responsibility on the part of the horse's owner nor the yard owner (if indeed they are not one in the same). Neither was there any sense that there might be concern or empathy shown to the parent or the child that has had his/her face bitten. Indeed the first 5 posters were quick to jump in and acuse the child and the parent immediately WITHOUT knowing any of the circumstances whatsoever and several even said absurdly stupid things like "I hope the horse is all right".

For goodness sake what is wrong with you guys!? We are talking about a 2 year old child tht has had its face bitten by a horse!

Somehow posters here have jumped on the "lets knock Thomas" bandwagon. From there in their tiny minds they've decided that I think that horses NEVER cause accidents - for goodness sake try reading what I actually wrote instead of behaving like a mob!

Riding is a risk sport. Horses need to be treated with respect - they are large flight and fright animals and you will note that I always recommend that throughout my postings - wearing skull caps, steel toe cap boots etc are in my mind a pre-requisite when you work with horses.

Likewise those who own horses and establishments where they are kept have an obligation - moral and at law - to protect the public. That means implicitly that you DO NOT keep horses that bite out of aggression - NOT accident - and there is a huge difference! where the public and 2 year old children can reach them!

It may well be that we are merely divided by a common language! but there is a HUGE difference between unpredictable and having an animal that is flight and fright.

I have a child who has grown up around horses. He knows all the barn rules (No running/ No yelling/ No flapping my arms like a crazy person ). He is not ever allowed to even pet one on the nose without permission first. He is ALWAYS supervised or he is in the house with a sitter. Period.

Poor kid. Poor horse. Stupid Dad.

You people are all sure quick to judge with your attitude toward the general public.

What if they were boarders? What if it was their horse?

As for a horse biting a toddler in the face. NEVER! Horses are not stupid, they know what and where they are biting. Kicking or bolting when frightened, sure, that could be understood, but the "horsie got scared" excuse just doesn't work for me. Biting is agression. If my horse ever made an aggressive move toward anyone's face, that would be the last move he ever made. I love my horse to death, but that sort of behavior is totally unacceptable and very dangerous.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1

Of course children should be supervised round horses and they shouldn't be running wild and misbehaving.

However horses should NOT be so bad mannered and ill disciplined that they are biting folks. I have horses here for remedial training and some of them belong to problem owners and hence are badly behaved, but they are well away from where any member of the public can get to them and once they've been sorted out they are in the yard with the rest.

If a horse bit me in the face it would be the last thing it ever did!

And here are my grandson and granddaughter with some of my well-behaved horses and ponies

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/DSCF0030.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...meupplease.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ywithhorse.jpg
    Well as to be sure not to misquote you, here's your post!

You AUTOMATICALLY assumed that this was a bad mannered creature that attacked a child. There were no details as to the incident that suggested that at all.

I like to err on the side of human stupidity in these cases.

You have also atleast inferred that your horses are so well trained and behaved that this couldn't happen in your barn. That's lovely, but I assert again that even the best behaved horse is perfectly capable of bitting any one at anytime!! And just because a horse bit you, doesn't mean it was attacking you!

I too have run large stables and have seen first hand how incredibly STUPID, RUDE and PRESUMPTUOUS the general public can be. I have had to tell people repeatedly to stop touching/feeding/whatever the horses. 90% of the time the morons were teasing the horses with food, whether they knew that was the case or not. When this happens even the sweetest horse will reach out to try to grab the food!

I had one bright light continue to pet the horsie right in front of me after being asked to STOP. Nicely, too. When I said it again, I was rebuked with "I heard you!" in a very snotty tone. I had to add that those were police horses and if you don't quit, I'll go get the sargent to explain it to you.

AT the same barn, I was told by a boarder that before my time he caught people walking around the paddock. They were putting thier children up on loose horses!! All the safety aspects aside, what alot of balls that takes to see something that isn't yours and commandeer it for what ever purpose or length of time!!

Again, at the same barn, the sargent caught someone riding a POLICE horse in the middle of the night, bareback around the indoor!!!

There is this extraordinary sense of entitlement in this country. This is the sort of behaviour that gets folks hurt, this if I can see it, it must be something I can have/be involved in it/touch it notion. Then when they get it in the @$$ later, it is not thier fault. These same people wouldn't want YOU to let your dog on thier lawn, sit in thier new Mercedes, or screw thier wife, but it's perfectly fine for them to touch your horse.

I don't care how pretty you think my horse is. It's mine, it's on my property and I pay the bills. Get the fruitbat away from them.

Originally posted by Thomas: "I've been around horses all my life and I'd never in a month of Sundays call them unpredictable .... flight and fright animals yes but unpredictable NO WAY"

Really? You can predict exactly what your horse will do every single solitary time you see it? And you can predict what kind of day it's having, how it's feeling at every moment? You can predict what kind of ride you'll have and that it won't spook at that blue heron...or that it will spook at the backfiring car?

Whats predictable about horses, and animals in general, is that they are pretty unpredictable. We can't control the environment and can't read their minds. Well, some people can, but for the rest of us we just have to keep on our toes and never overestimate the predictability of a horse.

It's sad that non-horse people don't understand this - blame it on the petting zoo's. But honestly the stable should carry some of this liability since they are running a business on the same site (thats a horrible idea, really). The general public should not have any access to the horses and there should be liberal signs that warn trespassers that the horses may bite and that they are not authorized to be near them.

Need4Speed, nicely said.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Quote Originally Posted by Curb Appeal
    You people are all sure quick to judge with your attitude toward the general public.

What if they were boarders? What if it was their horse?

As for a horse biting a toddler in the face. NEVER! Horses are not stupid, they know what and where they are biting. Kicking or bolting when frightened, sure, that could be understood, but the "horsie got scared" excuse just doesn't work for me. Biting is agression. If my horse ever made an aggressive move toward anyone's face, that would be the last move he ever made. I love my horse to death, but that sort of behavior is totally unacceptable and very dangerous.
    Phew a fellow protagonist - I was beginning to think that the horse world was devoid of common sense!

And I note its also someone else who runs an equine business.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat
    You AUTOMATICALLY assumed that this was a bad mannered creature that attacked a child. .
    Try reading again.... there was no such presumption.