The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan
    Works for me! As I write this my beloved (and only) niece is on her way up from North Carolina for a visit with tata (diminutive word for "Aunt" in French).

Apparantly little precious has become quite the drama queen and is being sent here for 2 weeks because my sister is about ready to strangle her.

Drama queens? On a farm? I don't think so. If she gives me any trouble I think I'll couple her to one of the foxhound puppies tomorrow and let the drama queen see religion. That plus stall cleaning and garden weeding usually puts a dent in the amount of hysterical temper tantrums.

And Miss Rachel is also going to learn how to clean tack - every pony ride must be earned. And she is old enough to start learning her stitches - so out come the needles and thread for her first sampler. I've got flour sack towels galore.

Lordy - I sound awful.

Actually - she's a good kid. Just mouthy. Too much TV, I think.
    JS...you're my kind of lady. I can just see you now:

"Rachel, that was totally unacceptable behavior and I won't tolerate it. So here's some acceptable behavior to keep you busy until I say otherwise." as you hand over the pitch fork and point to the stalls.

A dear friend of mine has a 17 YO daughter with an attitude the size of Mt. Everest...and a mouth to match. I've already told my friend to send her to me. A week of stalls, PPP (Paddock Poop Pick-Up), bucket scrubbing, fence tightening and hay stacking will do wonders.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Default Call it a personal problem

Quote Originally Posted by ESG
    Yes, but I'll be there in spirit. Maybe that will quell spawn?

Okay, call me clueless. What is the "Blues Clues Incident"?
    Apparently my nephew (3 at the time) would want to watch Blues Clues non-stop, 24/7 and didn't care if his sister or anyone else didn't. It was enough to drive an adult to drink. My brother had a fit and took away TV, permanently. He IS the more, uh, traditional of the two parents. Now they are allowed to watch, but only parent approved tapes.

In that same vein, my father once ended an arguement between my brother and sister over what channel to watch by literally cutting the power cord. With a meat cleaver. Before my time.... My Mom got ticked and made him fix it so SHE could watch it when they went to bed.

Oh, hey, my SIL isn't insane, but she's going to regret some of this stuff down the line. And she's home schooling, which in it'self isn't evil. But even tho they are part of some kind of HS group, the kids are not getting enought appropriate opportunities to interact with other children and moreover, adults. As one would say with a puppy, not properly socialized. Oh, but she can read.

Poor Rachel. I will have to update y'all on her progress. Kids, like horses, need a job or they get into trouble - don't ya think?

Good news is that she's bringing her guitar and harp - and I have a guitar too (sold the piano) - and she's interested in birds so we're going to go birdwatching.

It is possible to exist in this world without the television.

I think they sell kid sized manure forks - may have to go buy one if she can't handle the big one.

And trust me - she has learned her lesson about the livestock. She is extremely respectful of their space.

And though I was nasty about the 3 year old hitting my horses' noses - I did get a very lovely thank you note from her. So she is forgiven. Thank you notes also seem to be going by the wayside these days....

When I was about six, a boyfriend of my Mom got me my heart's desire - a pony. Now, he didn't actually ASK my Mom, and he didn't research it, etc and so forth, and when they broke up it emerged that I didn't actually own the pony, who was sold (causing huge trust issues down the road, but making some therapists quite wealthy).

Anyhoo, at the farm where "my" pony was there were other horses. And one day, in the late fall, I was feeding them carrots over the fence. I had mittens on, which was a good thing, because I stopped feeding one horse and turned my attention to another. The first horse, greedy for treats, must have thought my mittened finger was a carrot, because he grabbed and bit. I pulled back, and even with the mitten there was huge tearing of the skin away from the thumb and palm.

BUT...although Mom was upset I never blamed the horse, and she realized it wasn't his fault either. It was an accident - an error of attention and knowledge on OUR parts, not the horse.

We don't know if the dad and kid were "playing" with the horse's nose and encouraging that "cute" lip-tag thing, stopped and the horse wanted to continue, or what. The incident is very unfortunate and I hope the child is OK, but to blame the horse is wrong.

And, to some extent, while it's easy for use to say "the father should know better" the reality is that most people DON"T know about horses. They see them with people, and assume they are gentle and approachable. Few people - especially in a place like suburban Connecticut - even SEE farm animals, let alone know anything about proper handling. While I agree the dad showed poor judgement, I can understand what might have contributed to it. It just shows that when you have horses in an area accessible to the public, you need to be extra cautious, imo.

Oh, Hopeful Hunter-

Off topic, but how horrible that "your" pony was sold out from under you! That was extremely awful on the adult's part. I'm so sorry!

Water over the bridge by this time, I know, but still- that stinks!

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan
    Kids, like horses, need a job or they get into trouble - don't ya think?
    They need to learn to think of something besides themselves and to be able to entertain themselves WITHOUT the tv or computer or video games or mommy and daddy amusing them. That always got me with some friends - that they felt they had to entertain the kid every minute whereas the kid knew that s/he better not tell me "I'm bored!" because I would find them something to do. And it probably wouldn't be what they had in mind. That seems to be the biggest problem with the PITA kids - amuse me, pay attention to me. (And of course not all kids are pitas by any means.)
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Quote Originally Posted by ESG
    I say, bull$h!t. If I wanted to raise a child, I'd have one. And I don't appreciate being pressured into "helping" someone else raise one that's apparently lost interest in it, after it got past the cute and cuddly stage.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not anti-kid. Several of my friends have kids that are just wonderful; COTHer tirnanog has two that I'd be proud to claim as my own. But she's not one to let others do her job for her; she's right there to let her (and other) kids know where the lines are, and not to cross them. But it's the fizzlewits who think it their God-given right to reproduce, but then choose not to be responsible for the products of their conception. Sorry, but if you breed it, you own it, and you're responsible for it. Unless you can sell it, that is. And the last time I checked, that was illegal here.
    I think I love you.... I also am childless by choice and don't appreciate anyone expecting me to worry over or deal with their badly behaved children. I don't dislike children--I just have very little interest in them. Isn't it enough that I already pay more than $7000+ a year towards their schooling just through my property taxes?? Must I also parent them?
    "If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." -Don Marquis
    **CEO of the TQ "Learn How To Ride or MOVE OVER!!" Clique**

Quote Originally Posted by Tess' Mom
    A sign on a pasture fence that I saw somewhere said "Please Don't Feed Your Fingers to Our Horses!" I liked that one.
    I have that one! You'd be surprised how many people who come visit me don't realize that horses have sharp teeth!
    I myself am wondering if the little darling didn't have something sweet and sticky on his face....
    DON'T MAKE ME COME DOWN THERE!!! - God

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue
    LOL...I've just started letting my 13 year old read the occasional post or thread on here. (with me looking over her shoulder) She read this and looked up at me and said, "And they're still alive?"
    I also believe in letting kids find their own way. My kids know if they say certain words or even talk to me in a certain tone, they find their own way into Whump Land. My 13 year old used marker on an older t-shirt of hers and made a shirt that says, "I hate liquid soap!" from an incident when she got mad and said a swear...she was introduced to the ol' washing out the mouth with soap. Only these days we have LIQUID soap! Works MUCH better than bar soap, LOL!
    I still remember what Palmolive tastes like! And I didn't even say the word, I wrote it thinking my Mom wouldn't know who(with 5 siblings it's a bit easier to point fingers).
    My nieces and nephew are still alive and thriving, using language that would make a sailor blush. Of course they think my kids are odd, when I tell them to do something they do it. They also say Please and Thank You, how degrading is that?

Quote Originally Posted by 3fatponies
    I think I love you.... I also am childless by choice and don't appreciate anyone expecting me to worry over or deal with their badly behaved children. I don't dislike children--I just have very little interest in them. Isn't it enough that I already pay more than $7000+ a year towards their schooling just through my property taxes?? Must I also parent them?
    +1.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Nicker
    I still remember what Palmolive tastes like! And I didn't even say the word, I wrote it thinking my Mom wouldn't know who(with 5 siblings it's a bit easier to point fingers).
    My nieces and nephew are still alive and thriving, using language that would make a sailor blush. Of course they think my kids are odd, when I tell them to do something they do it. They also say Please and Thank You, how degrading is that?
    Forget swearing....I simply tried what I saw another little boy do once (just once ) I stomped my little 4-yo foot and said NO to my mother. Before I could blink, I had a bar of brown soap in my mouth and heard in my right ear "Suzie Jansen, you will NOT sass me!" Funny...I never did again.

Mr. C'Mare and I are also childless by choice. We clearly heard God say "Uh, I think you should just skip that part." We're glad we did and have no regrets. We'll stick to our four-legged kids.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

One time, on a plane to an interview for a faculty position, I was reading up on everything everyone in the department was doing. Onto the plane walks a pregnant woman, carrying a baby, toddler clasped to the other hand, and then 3 kids boinging down the aisle (approx ages 3, 5, 7 - poor woman, bet she had no bladder floor....). Hubbie right behind, says to the woman, I'm going to sit in an empty seat in the back because I need to work. Leaves her ALONE with the kids. The fetus, baby and toddler were fairly quiet. The other kids were absolute horrors, and of course, this poor woman had her hands full with the younger ones, literally.

Everyone around me was complaining, but it took my big mouth. I called over an attendant, explained that I wanted to switch places with hubbie because, after all, these weren't MY children, and I shouldn't have to deal with their obnoxious behavior (throwing things down the aisle - big plane, not many attendants). I said it VERY LOUDLY. Immediately after that, my entire section demanded the same thing. Attendants forced hubbie to come back and take responsibility for the kids. He was furious.

I felt bad for the poor woman, because out of all of us, she was the one who couldn't escape.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Dressagegeek, that sounds like the husband of a friend of mine. The fathers that call looking after their children "babysitting".
    It's called "childcare" . Good for you for calling him on it.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Unhappy Sorry, DG - gotta agree with Mozart.

It isn't like this woman didn't have a choice about how many babies to have. There is such a thing as birth control. I'd have started by gelding the husband, but that's just me. I'm one to take the direct route.

Good on you about calling the @$$hat on his behaviour. Bet he was hoping the other passengers on that plane would be his "village". Seems he couldn't be bothered.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Heck, I wouldn't have needed birth control because I wouldn't be sleeping with a jerk like that (said from the wisdom of my advanced years). Or I would have done a number with a pair of scissors and a machete.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Poor kid. I hope he is alright!

It amazes DH how many people feel that is their right to pet our horses when we're out in public. It also fascinates him how upset parents get when I decline or point the precious family to the 'safe' horse vs letting anyone get near the youngster who is easily spooked although very pretty.

DH had an emergency gallbladder surgery which left an ugly scar about 6" long. He shows off the scar then warns all visiting nieces and nephews that the same thing might happen to them if they don't listen to me. Apparently ~ I'll 'cut' them...

DH has a sick sense of humor! But it does keep the kids in line!!!

The fathers that call looking after their children "babysitting".
    LOL...I heard my sister's husband say that years ago when their first son was a toddler. My sis and I were doing some errands and she said to the dad, "We're leaving junior here" and his reply was, "What? I've got the babysit?" I had to call him on it. "Babysit? What, you mean that's not YOURS????" One cannot 'babysit' one's own offpsring.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart
    Dressagegeek, that sounds like the husband of a friend of mine. The fathers that call looking after their children "babysitting".
    It's called "childcare" . Good for you for calling him on it.
    You rock Mozart . . . In MY house I call that PARENTING!!!!!!!! Babysitting is what my teenager gets paid (very) good money for when the neighbors have to take a break from PARENTING!!!!! That girl paid for new (very nice) half chaps and half of her GPA helmet with babysitting $$$$$. Last I checked, dads get to parent (no $$$, no choice ) It's part of the deal when you decide to play!!! Friends, neighbors, barn mates and the occasional unfortunate soul on the plane don't have to parent. They're not the ones that made that decision!