The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default CT-toddler badly bitten by horse

This appeared in the New Haven Register, and I didn't see it posted here.
    I have lots of questions about this.....

Horse bites 2-year-old on cheek at Milford farm
    Neal McNamara , Register Correspondent

-MILFORD — A horse bit a 2½-year-old in the face at Glendale Farm Thursday, causing what a fire official described as "a pretty big injury" because the child is so young.
    Milford Fire Department Capt. Harold Streit said the child and his father were petting a horse at Glendale, 203 Herbert Road, at 10:45 a.m. when the animal bit the boy on the cheek.

Several Fire Department vehicles were dispatched to the scene, and emergency service technicians performed first aid on the boy. He was then taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital for treatment.

"I’d consider it a pretty big injury to a child that size," said Streit.

Officials released neither the boy’s nor the father’s name, and Yale-New Haven Hospital could not under federal law provide an update of the boy’s condition without a name. The bite, however, was not described as life-threatening, fire officials said.

Just after the incident, workers helping customers buy flowers refused to comment on the situation, saying that the part of the farm where the horses are kept is separate from the nurseries. In addition to the plants and vegetables it produces and sells, the farm has a horse boarding operation, its Web site says. When horses are boarded, owners typically live elsewhere but pay a fee for the horse to be cared for at the boarding facility.

The farm’s owner, Tim Astriab, declined to comment on the incident through a farm worker who asked not to be identified. The farm worker could not comment on the age, sex or type of horse that was involved in the biting, or say whether it has a history of biting.

Neither the city’s Animal Control Service nor the state Animal Control Service responded to the scene. However, a state official said that any animal that bites a human is supposed to be ordered into quarantine under state statute.

Local animal control officers said they had not been contacted by late in the day.

Milford Animal Control Officer Pat Liptak, speaking in general about horses, said that horses can be spooked just as any animal — or human — might be in some circumstances.

"It’s just like any other animal; they have their moods," said Liptak. "You’d have to be an animal therapist to know why this horse bit this boy."

Liptak said that her department had not received a police report or a hospital report regarding the incident. She said she expected to hear from the hospital or the child’s parents by today.

Liptak, who has been in her position for 20 years, said she has never before had a horse bite reported to her and she is investigating what action she should take.

Dr. David Beckeny, a private-practice pediatrician in Hamden, speaking in general, said livestock animals can be dangerous to children.

"A horse is a big animal," he said. "Usually, if a 2-year-old is near a horse, he should be in Mom or Dad’s hands. If the horse isn’t under good control, that’s a dangerous thing."

It was not clear Thursday whether the child bitten by the horse was being held by his father.

Beckeny also noted that, although pets and livestock are vastly different, even household animals can be a danger to young children. He said he has seen children bitten by dogs that were disturbed while eating.

According to Glendale’s Web site, the farm has 15 stalls for horses, and the animals have two acres in which to roam.

Betcha that it's the father who did not supervise her rowdy child - especially a 2 yrs old small boy. You know, most of the children nowadays are not well disciplined. I hope that the horse is ok -
    Will get a dream horse!
    More riding, swimming, and rowing, less posting

Sounds to me like father and son were on a piece of the property they should not have been on. Hopefully CT doesn't have an "attractive nuisance" law...
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Hope the horse is up to date on rabies vaccination. Usually, the quarantine rules only come into play if the authorities are worried about rabies. Still, I think the barn owner and horse owner are in for a wild ride.
    Only one cat - must not be totally crazy yet!

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral
    Sounds to me like father and son were on a piece of the property they should not have been on. Hopefully CT doesn't have an "attractive nuisance" law...
    I agree. No young child should be that close to a horse that isn't under supervision.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

A friend of mine keeps her horses at Glendale. I'll have to ask her about it, hopefully it wasn't her horse!

Glendale has to be the weirdest set-up I have ever seen. The farm is a, what looks to me to be a, huge commercial nursery but also has boarding. It's very strange.

I surely hope the little boy is ok, but I am constantly amazed at how many times over the years (and we're talking quite a few!) that I've seen adults taking their children to see the "cute horses" and then proceed to pet them on the nose whilst they have the child in their arms. It doesn't take much of a nip to inflict some major damage on a chubby little cheek. I hope the barn owner has some no trespassing signs on his fences or else she/he's probably going to be receiving a letter from an attorney. People love to sue, especially when a child is involved. We have the signs along our fences, it's not too friendly but unfortunately necessary.
    A sign on a pasture fence that I saw somewhere said "Please Don't Feed Your Fingers to Our Horses!" I liked that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Prieta
    . You know, most of the children nowadays are not well disciplined. I hope that the horse is ok -
    That is just a ridiculous statement. Children are the same, including their stupid parents that let them get bit. But y'all should go easy on people. They don't know anything about horses and then they get into trouble. It seems like they got everything they deserved, and probably more. I hope that the horse is ok is just an astounding reaction to this. That child was severely injured by a nasty horse. I hope the horse is not inappropriately treated by overly concerned "animal control" types. But come on you guys. A horse should not bite the face of a child in any circumstances. It would be easier for me to believe that a child was stepped on by an innocent horse...but bitten on the face. Come on!
    “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
    ? Rumi

Default lordy lordy lordy

Of course children should be supervised round horses and they shouldn't be running wild and misbehaving.

However horses should NOT be so bad mannered and ill disciplined that they are biting folks. I have horses here for remedial training and some of them belong to problem owners and hence are badly behaved, but they are well away from where any member of the public can get to them and once they've been sorted out they are in the yard with the rest.

If a horse bit me in the face it would be the last thing it ever did!

And here are my grandson and granddaughter with some of my well-behaved horses and ponies

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/DSCF0030.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...meupplease.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ywithhorse.jpg

to many ifs -- if horse was in his field doing his thing then he becomes unpredicatable in his own enviroment never trust a horse 100%

was the owner at fault no i dont think so as we all would be -- if we turn our horses out in the fields and think they ok until someone comes along to pet them.

can put signs up saying dont fed or touch --would help if he thinks he has a case.. but then he shouldnt have pet the horse shame that non - riders just dont think beyond there own noses or see what could happen before it happens--

bit like feeding the crocks --

Quote Originally Posted by Gayla
    That is just a ridiculous statement. Children are the same, including their stupid parents that let them get bit. But y'all should go easy on people. They don't know anything about horses and then they get into trouble. It seems like they got everything they deserved, and probably more. I hope that the horse is ok is just an astounding reaction to this. That child was severely injured by a nasty horse. I hope the horse is not inappropriately treated by overly concerned "animal control" types. But come on you guys. A horse should not bite the face of a child in any circumstances. It would be easier for me to believe that a child was stepped on by an innocent horse...but bitten on the face. Come on!
    I agree with you about the discipline, except for I don't think a 2 year old child got what he deserved. He's basically a baby who relies on adults to keep him safe. He doesn't know any better and this isn't his fault. The father, on the other hand, should have been supervising the situation much more closely. If you don't know much about horses you should be more careful.

I know a family whose friendly lovely dog severely bit their little girl when she went near his food. Any animal can become territorial, or even scared and that would be their reaction. Does that mean the horse is nasty?

I hope the child is ok too. A small child could have bones in their face/head broken by a horse.
    that said....
    To say that the horse should never under any circumstances bite a child is absurb. It is not the family dog. We don't know that the horse is nasty. We don't know if it is a biter. We do know that horses just react. That is why all the disclaimer notices in barns about horses being dangerous.
    If something spooked the horse, if the child hurt the horse.....it could very well bite.
    I have had my (fortunately well behaved) dogs assaulted in public by numerous children who grab them, stick their fingers in their eyes, ears and mouth, yank on ears and lips. If a child did that to a horse it might very well bite. Many animals react differently to adults and to children, especially very small fast moving children who apparently can be seen as a threat.
    Many parents flunked the darwin test and don't even recognize a possible threat to their child until it is too late.

IMHO It's totally the parent's fault and yes, many people are ignorant about horses... and dogs and...animals in the zoo. We want everything to be sweet and cuddly. I'm not surprised that a child got bit in the face. How many times have you (all you horse people) seen people want to touch the soft nose of the horse or even kiss it. I can see a child leaning over to do just that. Ok in a perfect world a horse is not supposed to bite, but...

Hey, horses are unpredictable animals. Matter of fact, all animals are unpredictable. I'm sorry that the child got bitten but it isn't the horses fault

Heck my filly Cricket gives me what I call "kisses" every day and one of these days she could take a chunk out of my face you you know what, I couldn't be mad at her, I am there presenting my face for her, which is in reality down right stupid!
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Betcha 10$ the parent took the kid to "pet the ponies" and not only knew nothing about horses - wasn't supposed to be back there in the first place. And somehow this will be the boarding facility's fault.

Personal responsibility - ever heard of it?

My normally smart husband just couldn't say no to his co-workers 3 year old - who is coming over this weekend for a "pony ride".

I don't have school horses. I don't have ponies. I have two working horses and one huge yearling - and 4 goats with horns - one of whom will beat the crap out of you if you turn your back on it.

He got a piece of my mind - let me tell you. Said 3 year old is going to be on a leash the whole time she's here.

Hope the kid is ok - and I hope the stupid parent doesn't sue. This is the kind of stuff that is bad for all horse owners.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan
    Betcha 10$ the parent took the kid to "pet the ponies" and not only knew nothing about horses - wasn't supposed to be back there in the first place. And somehow this will be the boarding facility's fault.

My normally smart husband just couldn't say no to his co-workers 3 year old - who is coming over this weekend for a "pony ride".

I don't have school horses. I don't have ponies. I have two working horses and one huge yearling - and 4 goats with horns - one of whom will beat the crap out of you if you turn your back on it.

He got a piece of my mind - let me tell you. Said 3 year old is going to be on a leash the whole time she's here.

Hope the kid is ok - and I hope the stupid parent doesn't sue. This is the kind of stuff that is bad for all horse owners.
    Ah yes, personal responsibility... no, I bet these people never HAVE heard of it. And it's really too bad. Hope the parent learned a lesson about letting his kid "pet the cute horsey" and doesn't decide to sue the barn and/or horse owner. I mean, really. That kid didn't belong anywhere near close enough to that horse for it to bite him.

And I don't know what it is about guys and the pony ride thing. My own DH wanted me to give stepson pony rides... on my 17 hand warmblood. Sorry, I don't think so... it's a show jumping barn, not an f-ing petting zoo.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I bet Mom gave Dad the "what-for"!
    Jen Evans & DaBear

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan

http://praha.planetsg.com/Forum/show...22#post1633122

I find the attitudes with the previous few postings and summed up as above on here absolutely astounding - or gob-smacking!

If a commercial equine yard or even a single horse owner has a horse that is bad mannered and to such an extent that its viscious and biting people and toddlers in the face, then its their responsibility to ensure that its away from where it can do any damage or harm until its properly trained.

I've been around horses all my life and I'd never in a month of Sundays call them unpredictable .... flight and fright animals yes but unpredictable NO WAY

And as for the person saying "I'm not surprised that a child got bit in the face. How many times have you (all you horse people) seen people want to touch the soft nose of the horse or even kiss it. I can see a child leaning over to do just that" Well I've never heard anything so ridiculous - of course you should be able to touch the soft nose of a horse and even kiss it and a child should be able to do that and if your horse won't tolerate that, then I'd suggest you rehome it to someone who will be able to train it so it has good manners and respect before it does serious injury.

And as for suggesting horses might bite if spooked! Well again NEVER in a month of Sundays - they might jump and knock you over IF they are bad mannered and haven't been taught to respect your space but bite?? NEVER

And by the way, I have photos of me in nappies on a 17 hand hunter and my daughters sat on mine when they were toddlers and my grandchildren also sit on my hunters, eventers and point to pointers.

And I DON'T have a petting zoo - I have a commercial equestrian centre with WELL BEHAVED, WELL TRAINED normal horses

But come on you guys. A horse should not bite the face of a child in any circumstances.
    This has been a banner month for quotes ... yet another to add to my Hall of Fame of things I've read on the Chronicle BB

Wasn't there another thread about a deer attacked by a horse? Gee, guys, that is Bambi, if we are doling out absolute "rules" shouldn't the laws of nature give Bambi an exemption from being bitten too?!! Cute, cuddly, little Bambi and a horse, gasp, attacked it.

Me thinks an overly inquisitive tyke in his terrible twos held up by pops and stuck straight in the horse's face is apt to tick off most horses standing in their stall. Note to self regarding invading a horse's stall - my place, my space.

I'll give anyone with a 2-year old a bit of a tip: don't stick him in John Henry's stall at the Kentucky Horse Park.

The Wall Street Journal had a great article this week on "You've got mail and its drooling". It was about parents clogging up the email inboxes of friends, family and coworkers with pics of their angels with people who might just not really want to see little Molly spitting up. I suspect many horses might - like humans - not really enjoy something crying in their face.

This is why I carry liability insurance on my horses. I've arrived at a horse show to find my horse hanging his head out of his half-door, trying ever so hard to pluck the hat off a toddler in front of his stall...parents across the aisle, totally oblivious. Had I not shown up and shoo'd the little one away, my horse well could have bit the top of his head trying to grab that hat...and I wouldn't blame my horse in the least. But I'm sure the parents would have, and by extension, blamed me.

Not knowing the story (the real story, I guess I should say) about what happened at the farm in CT, I can only hope it turns out okay for everyone, horse, child, etc.