The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default I've had 2 Great Pyrennes, they were both nice dogs,

but you have to have lots of room. My female stayed close to home most of the time, but the male (nuetered) wandered a lot ! He never bothered any of my neighbors, but considered all of their property part of his domain. He ended up hit by a car. They were both very gentle souls - good with people, lived outside, good with all my cats and horses, but they were protective towards strangers and no one wandered on our property un-noticed. ! I am sure they detered any coyotes as well.

I've never had a donkey, but have heard they will kill coyotes or dogs. So that's another option. I have heard the noise they make though, and that would take some getting used to. . . They are also very easy keepers and you would have to be careful that they don't get too fat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRuss1996
    Okay....... if my animals were being eaten and harassed by a coyote why not just shot the damn thing?? <SNIP>....
    Unfortnately it's not always that simple. In some areas it's not always safe to discharge a firearm, not to mention illegal. Coyotes are very cunning and ellusive. I had to get rid of my new Pyr last year (got her right before I broke my ankle and Mr P couldn't handle her)and promptly lost 5 sheep. Never saw the attacker though three might have been killed by the pack of Rotties we had roaming the neighborhood. I did find those bodies, never found the other 2. Another year I lost 8 out of 11 lambs and a few ewes, never found the pieces.

It's heartbreaking, I quit breeding sheep.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by EkkieMeg
    What about 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks? They were originally used to hunt lions in Africa, but the breed standard says they make excellent guard dogs! They withstand large temp changes, LOVE to run and hunt, and have great endurance. I wouldn't get just one though, as they do better in a pack... I'd guess if they handle lions well, a few coyotes are easy!
    I was going to suggest these type dogs too. We had one in Hawaii that was crossed with a Pitt. Great dog and great watchdog. I think the Ridgeback balanced out the Pitt in her.
    Member of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

“This is not a game for little boys in short pants.” LeRoy Jolley

I would never want to encourage someone to get a dog (any dog) that didn't have the committment to bring up correctly and treat properly, but I'm not sure some of the LGD comments on this thread are accurate. I only have one LGD, but I have a fair amount of contact with other people who also own LGDs either as pets or as guardians.

LGDs have a very low prey drive, that is, they have a very low drive to chase and attack--otherwise they would be prone to harm the animals they protect. They are profoundly gentle with small and helpless animals (and in our case, our children and their friends). Our Anatolian does not chase and kill predators. Instead, he has set up our farm as his "territory." Anyone who doesn't belong (coyote, neighbor's dogs, stray cats, raccoons, possums, etc.) gets tirelessly harassed until they leave--unharmed. (Except he does eat carpeter bees, moles, and field mice.)

For example, a couple weeks ago an intact male pit bull belonging to a neighbor's worker came onto the farm. Our dog barked and growled at him, then grabbed him and pinned him. He repeated this gesture until the dog decided that no hen was worth all this trouble and he left. There was no fight, no blood.

We have workers, delivery people, boarders and guests coming and going all the time and have had absolutely no issues. IME, and from what I hear from other LGD owners, LGDs are incredibly perceptive about what/who is ok and who isn't.

LGDs aren't perfect--they are very strong willed and independent. They tend to bark a lot. They can be prone to "expand their territory." Like any breed, there are temperment variations between dogs, so some might not be as great as others. And like any big, powerful, dog, if they are mishandled or unsocialized they have the potential to be dangerous. But, IME, they are really intelligent and useful dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by onthebit12000
    May I suggest a Cane Corso (Italian Mastiff) I have 2 and believe me nothing that comes on our farm uninvited gets out alive! That said, as protective as they are, when my employees 8 yr old son comes to visit, my 150 lb male "Titus" lets him hop on board and ride him around just like a pony would!
    Gotta love a dog who knows who belongs and who doesnt!

Here is a link to some Corso pics http://www.canecorso.org/photos.htm
    I'm sorry, but I just have to share that I'm over here giggling... I know that the Cane Corso is not even close to the English Mastiff, but I have an English at home, and I'm laughing about him protecting a herd of any kind of livestock. This guy can't stand it outside for 20 minutes without air conditioning! He cries if his meals aren't EXACTLY on time, and he sneaks up onto our bed every night to sleep. LOL He is in great shape (not overweight like a lot of Mastiffs), but temp changes and exercise are NOT his deal... LOL But, he is a fantastic HOUSE protector, and if our family was ever in trouble WATCH OUT.

Here's a pic...
    http://www.streamload.com/stevnmd/gu...eve_Guinny.jpg