The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Need dog to protect against coyotes.

We are having a coyote problem. It started about January 2005 and despite friendly neighbors willing to shoot on sight and an annual statewide coyote hunt, the coyote population is not decreasing. If anything, it’s increasing. The buggers are getting bolder by the day.

We had two in the pasture last night. They were headed right for the barn. DH killed a large, healthy female, but we didn’t get the second one. The pony won’t leave the barn now. She’s too scared.

The barn cat disappeared last week and finally turned up five days later with an ugly injury on her tail. (Not saying she escaped from a coyote, but still, she was hurt.) I’ve been keeping her in the house so she doesn’t get killed. She is very frightened to go back to the barn. She doesn’t want to be live bait; I don’t blame her.

This has got to stop. I’m thinking BIG DOG. A BIG DOG that will kill the rotten coyotes. I’m thinking Great Pyrenees. I’ve heard they do a good job. Or maybe one of these Australian herding dogs that people have when they have horses. Will they kill coyotes?

What do you think? Any suggestions? We currently do not have any dogs. Just the horses, two house cats and one barn cat. We are surrounded by forest.

Anybody have a Great Pyrenees they can let me borrow? I promise I’d take very good care of him/her.

Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

How 'bout a donkey instead? Word is they are the best at running off coyotes and protecting.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Get a donkey. So much more effective than a dog- of any size. We have coyote issues at my parents place. A coyote was bold enough to come right up to our neighbor's (a farrier) dog which is a cathoula leopard / pit bull mix and try to "play" with it. The neighbor was on horseback at the time and my mother was standing next to him talking aboout the coyote problem. Apparently this is a popular game and then the coyote will get the dog playing, get it to roll around and then will go for the throat. Not nice. We have lost 2 barn cats to the coyotes, only because they chose to hunt beyond the fence line that our donk can't get to. The cats that stay near the barn, with in the fence, have nothing to worry about.

Default Me three!!!

I was gonna say donkey, too. Dogs are too close to their size and without the vicious "wild animal" instincts, I would think.
    Last edited by nightsong; May. 23, 2006 at 11:42 AM.

Ha ha ha. Hi girls! I guess that is the popular solution in GA. All of us rednecks just get donkeys!!!

I mentioned a donkey to DH last night.
    He said he wanted to get a sombrero and ride the thing. LOL

I don’t really want a donkey. They are cute, but I think I’d rather have a dog.

From experience- the donkey would be easier to care for around the barn. I have a regular sized donk. I wonder how the minis are at guarding? I would suspect that they would be good too.

Kuvasz( sp?) dogs are used to guard sheep. Do a google for herding /guard dogs. There are other breeds that are used also. These dogs, as puppies, are raised with their herd and literally become sheep sa far as living with the herd. Check with your county extension office. Also, as far as donkeys. The University of Rhode Island has a few on it's farm and they have really proved their worth as far as coyote protection.

Do the donkeys actually kill the coyotees or just chase them off?
    Do you have to give them shots and trim their hoofs like horses?

I know nothing about the care for donkeys.

If you want a dog, get a Pit Bull (not mixed). Get a small female less than 40 lbs with a very friendly nature.

Quote Originally Posted by alysheba
    If you want a dog, get a Pit Bull (not mixed). Get a small female less than 40 lbs with a very friendly nature.

However, I also recommend a donkey. Any dog you get will end up fighting these coyotes. She will win, but its really not fair to the dog.

What about traps?

Hey, it's not just you GA rednecks that go for donkeys!

We do have a coyote problem here, have lost many cats in the area. I have two mini-donks, and don't have coyote problems in my pasture.

Yes, they need the same vacs and worming that your horses do; I trim feet myself, just rasp them to good form about once a month. Can't say the vacs are any more or less expensive than for a dog. Bonus is that you have a larger "herd" without having to own more horses! They eat next to nothing; I don't budget anything extra in terms of buying hay or feed, just let them pick up after the horses, and they wear grazing muzzles in the summer.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Around here many ranchers use llamas to protect calves from coyotes.
    Llamas will chase coyotes and kill them if they can catch them.
    And they are fun pets too.

I've seen a donkey chase a dog. I think he would have killed it if he had caught it.

You do need to take care of it. I understand they are pretty low maintenance. You'll need to meet its nutritional needs, keep it vaccinated, its hooves trimmed and teeth checked like a horse. You'd vaccinate and feed a dog, right? Just add the feet

[Any dog you get will end up fighting these coyotes. She will win, but its really not fair to the dog.]

ditto, and the dog may not win . coyotes don't generally hunt in packs, but if game is getting scarce and there are too many coyotes they will and a pack will kill a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by alysheba
    However, I also recommend a donkey. Any dog you get will end up fighting these coyotes. She will win, but its really not fair to the dog.

What about traps?
    Livestock Guardian Dogs will WIN - it's what they do - it's what they've been bred to do for hundreds of years
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Oh Oh we had two dogs as coyote chasers. One is part chow, the other sadly passed away but he was a cheseapake bay/rott. My trainer just got a new dog who will grow up to be a coyote chaser.......A Black Mouth Cur. This puppy is the best!!!! www.americanblackmouthcur.com

They are good at chasing htem away, but be warned the females will try and lure the dog up to the den where they will attack as a pack.

Get a donkey or a llama.