The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    palagurl Guest

Default Should I geld or should I Keep?

Hi, I got my baby Slick Spirit from a horse rescue in alberta. He is calm, docile, with a personality like no other and even at just a year, he lets the kids ride around on him!
    He is an unreg palomino mustang. His mom came from a feed lot and she is a pinto colored maybe mustang and apperently his sire was a mustang with mainly QH, paint, appy, and a bit of perchy blood lines. Slick is REALY looking like an albertan mustang right now, but when I first got him he looked mostly like a percheron x (he had a huge perchy neck).
    This woman I know came out and inspected him. She said that he is going to fill out nice and stocky. Now, I know a person who got a mustang stallion at 18 months from a wild herd and used him as a stud, and get this, his stallion was so docile, he could hold it with bailing twine in front of a mare in heat!!
    I am wondering if I should geld him or not, he has already dropped and has bred to one of my mares, but is still not very studdish. He is kept with a sweet and loving gelding and never acts out around other horses.
    I plan to use him in and am starting training in western and possibley barrel racing and cutting.
    When he was 6 months old and I first got him shipped over here, he would follow me up mountains and scale cliffs! Places no one has ever gotten there horse to go! Since then, he has followed me on the road without even a lead rope!! We have past other full grown and well educated horses from a english training barn, and they were scattered all over the road and holding up traffic, while we were on the side passing them and never once veering into traffic.

I'm not one for registered horses and I find no value in pedigrees. Should I keep him a stud? He has a beautiful color, is very dosile, conformation is amazing, and has the perfect attitude on everything! So, should I geld him? Or should I keep him a stud?

no to sure how old he is if hes about 19mths he would still be docilish once hes matured then he could turn stalllionish and beat up on your geldings really it depends on the horse itself but for me i owuldnt risk it

you couldnt be a bit restricted at shows ansd stuff and if your trail riding and do happaen to go out with a bunce of mares to be honest you will never know what way he will re-act personnally unless he was some sort of great horse then i would have him gelded and i wouldnt also have him geld for a -- piece of mind and b-- so no unoffical breeding with unwanted horses as therees enough already with unresponsiple people-- no offence meant

Default improve him

no reason to keep a stud.

Quote Originally Posted by palagurl
    He is an unreg palomino mustang. His mom came from a feed lot and she is a pinto colored maybe mustang and apperently his sire was a mustang with mainly QH, paint, appy, and a bit of perchy blood lines.
    He will make a wonderful gelding.

He simply has absolutely nothing to offer the horse world in the way of reproducing.

If it has testicles, that is reason enough to cut them off.

I have a coming two year old 3/4 TB, 1/4 QH that is unregisterable because his sire does not have enough points to register Appendix's. He has perfect conformation and an incredible temperament. Still, no question about gelding him... every great stallion makes an even better gelding

As someone who regularly sees where many of the unregistered breeding "projects" end up (low end auction where killers shop), I'm strongly against keeping a stallion 'because we like the dad' or 'because people nearby have mares', especially an unreg/unrated grade one. Too many of these breeding "projects" turn out to be not very useful or marketable, & the offspring end up terrible places.

Papers or not, you personally don't need to start a breeding farm. You have no way of knowing how he'll be when he hits sexual maturity, to you or to other horses. And if you realise this later and geld him late, he may remain studdish and a general PITA.

You got him because you wanted a sweet riding horse. Gelding him insures he remains sweet.

Geld. There are too many stallions around, why add to the problem.

In general, if you're even asking the question, geld.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

I agree with everyone else, geld.

Geld, but for a little different reason. I'm also not obsessed with papers to put it mildly (out of my 6 horses, only 2 are registered and I would have bought both of them without papers and do not consider either of those mares breeding quality).

The problem with breeding a horse like your boy is that you have no idea what is going to come out. If he was unregistered but you knew that all the horses in his parentage looked basically like him (ie, they were all about his size, had more or less his conformation, had his temperment & brain, etc) I would say wait & see what type of performance record he achieves then make the decision. BUT when you have an unknown background, it becomes more likely that HIS good quality is more of a fluke and that he won't pass it down. You start increasing your likelihood of getting throwback to really unsuitable horses. For example, let say he does really well as a cutting horse. You decide to breed him to some nice cutting mares. But it turns out that when you breed him, the Perchi blood comes out hard as a throw-back. Not good.

Geld him. Will there be days that you regret it? Of course. But all you have to do is go visit some rescues, or a slaughter plant, or your local horse sale auction (late in the evening, when the kill horses start coming up) and you'll be glad.

It's pretty expensive to keep and promote a stud. I would fiscally vote to geld. SO Many nice horses out there, why create more?
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by palagurl
    He is an unreg palomino mustang. His mom came from a feed lot and she is a pinto colored maybe mustang and apperently his sire was a mustang with mainly QH, paint, appy, and a bit of perchy blood lines.

He will make a wonderful gelding.

He simply has absolutely nothing to offer the horse world in the way of reproducing.
    Well-said. I totally agree.

Besides that ,he came from a rescue. You KNOW these rescues exist b/c there are far too many unwanted horses in the world. We don't need another pretty palomino, well-behaved stud. He's not registered and his breeding is unknown... He's got no redeeming stud qualities.

Geld him.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I don't know... I mean she might be able to get hardship papers with the Gypsy Vanner Association or something along those lines . Forget cutting, it sounds like he would make an excellent reiner... who knows, if Reining is added to the list of Olympic Equestrian Sports this stallion my just be the first winner of GOLD in that discipline! Dude (!), she can lead the horse WITHOUT a lead rope PEOPLE! If that is not the mark of a future champion ... then I just don't know what is... I mean the possibilities are ENDLESS!

Wait.. are you actually serious? Geld him!

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Geld.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

I would gled him but I would weating till he grows a bit more. I am so not into this gleding at 1. They do not grow as much that is why most here look so small and thin. In Ireland and All over Eroupe they do not gled until they are ready to brack and the horses are so much nicer.
    AilleXWest
    www.gypsystoychest.com Adult Toys and Home partys

Geld him- now

I would "gled" (geld) him as soon as he has dropped which you say he is. Actually, not gelding them has been shown to inhibit growth.

" Horses gelded before puberty usually grow taller than if they were left stallions. The testosterone rush at puberty triggers the closure of the epiphyseal plates (where bone growth takes place), so the stallion essentially quits adding height at puberty. The horse gelded at one year of age has a gradual, delayed puberty and the additional time may allow him to add extra height. "

This is from
    http://www.horsekeeping.com/horse_he..._aftercare.htm

by Cherry Hill

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer
    If it has testicles, that is reason enough to cut them off.
    LMAO!