The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Oh Sandy- an OFF Brand casket! How crass! But somehow it suits you!

Myself, I intend to be cremated and my ashes scattered in my enemies eyes! And I will RENT a designer casket for the funeral. Yes, we shall indulge ourselves!
    Just like that mail order club where you rent a designer purse for a month for like, $100.

Signed:

another one of those "way too many old ladies" here on the dressage forum.

PS: apparently, after that ageism dig, YF- you're the one who needs to get over themselves!

Bragging about conspicuous consumption just doesn't sit as well with me now that I'm old like Egon
    yep, toss me in the pile of old ones!
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

Shoot and I was thinking that apparently some lessons from high school went unheeded. It is not cool to appear to put effort into anything and the original post reeked of effort. Quite the faux pas!

Throw me in with the withered Egon!

Whoever mentioned conspicuous consumption hit the nail on the head. I would NEVER go on and on to non-horsey people about my horses and how expensive they are. A horse is a horse, and no one really cares where your horse is from or what level he could theoretically be ridden at. You will get a more positive reaction from your friends if you talk about your horses as if they were pets (that's all they are, after all). At least pets are something people can relate to and enjoy hearing about.

And also I think the comparison of your horse to a Louis is spot-on. It's a bag like any other, and the only thing that makes it "better" is your own personal preference.

This post is like watching a car crash. Its horrible, but I just cant take my eyes off it.

(And I at 18, would be considered an old lady too.)

What I don't understand is why everyone has to be so mean. Is it because your hidden in an anonymous world? That bag was bought as gift for my birthday. But even if I did buy it, so what?

I think some people just love to be nasty at any opportunity. I have actually been looking at this BB less and less, and definately paricipate a lot less because it seems like no matter the topic, someone is sure to flame me, or someone else and ruin it for everybody. Not all of us appreciate the snarky negative comments that seems to be all that is on here these days.

What I don't understand is why everyone has to be so mean. Is it because your hidden in an anonymous world? That bag was bought as gift for my birthday. But even if I did buy it, so what?

I think some people just love to be nasty at any opportunity. I have actually been looking at this BB less and less, and definately paricipate a lot less because it seems like no matter the topic, someone is sure to flame me, or someone else and ruin it for everybody. Not all of us appreciate the snarky negative comments that seems to be all that is on here these days.
    But, that is life...there are witches and there people that tell you the truth and people that give you warm fuzzies about what you want to hear...

Roll with the punches, life isn't all warm fuzzies. Unless that's all you want, then don't put yourself out there if you don't want negative attention cause there will always besomeone thinking it if not saying it. My 2 cents. You're a grown woman, don't mope!

Default Geeez you guys

You've gone and done it again. Ya'all picked on YF so much she packed up her toys and left. Hmmmmpff. Guess she showed you!
    I have to admit, I'm an oldie myself. Sometimes just gotta roll yur eyes when the conspicuous consumption devil takes hold of another sucker. (don't anyone wack me fur my spellin cuz I'm dyxlesic)

What happened?? Someone got envious about some purse?? Man, just live and let live. If someone has the cash and a brand-name is important to them so be it if it makes them happy. I much rather prefer happy people's company, with or without expensive purses

I agree with the "live and let live." No need to be so judgmental and hurtful.
    And by the way, philanthropy and conspicuous consumption are not mutually exclusive, so don't assume that because someone has nice things that he/she is not also generous towards others less fortunate than himself/herself.

Very true, Yankee Lawyer..very true....

But I will hazard a guess that Aunt Ester (never dreaming to reach her hallowed hand bag class myself)and many other ladies of a certain age or of refinement will continue to extoll the virtues of discretion, modesty and humility.

(But of course NEVER in the workplace! Chicas rule!)

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeLawyer
    I agree with the "live and let live." No need to be so judgmental and hurtful.
    And by the way, philanthropy and conspicuous consumption are not mutually exclusive, so don't assume that because someone has nice things that he/she is not also generous towards others less fortunate than himself/herself.
    So, it's everyone else's fault and they should all change cause you think so? Being rediculously nasty and jumping people's throats is one thing. Little remarks that aren't that bad isn't the end of the world and people should be able to just get over it. Realize that it really doesn't matter and you can't change everyone else's viewpoint. Maybe you do come off a certain way, some people will be offended by it while others could care less. Whining about all the 'nasty, witchy people' is just wallowing in your own misery, a pity party. Even if people get real nasty, let it just roll off your back, don't feel sorry for yourself. In the big picture, it doesn't matter! This is a pet peeve of mine...

Cool

I really think YF had no intentions of 'showing off'- I think when you live in it- you are not so aware that maybe others don't have it- or better that it's not an interesting topic for those who don't have it- especially when you are sitting at home late at nite, browsing your BB with a glass of wine in hand....

I am always a bit conflict adverse- because I have seen a lot of major shit and learned that sometimes the way it reads is not the way it's intended - so I guess I prefer to assume just a genuine, innocent post in this case, rather than a premeditated assault on the 'Old Ladies' around here...typecasting is always a way to close the door and put up borders...and a great way to stop discussion....now remind me - what was this BB for- to vent your menopausal frustrations and bash heads...??

sorry - I guess I missed that part...btw- old ladies are TRULY nice- they usually don't gang up to this degree...:LOL-...just an observation.

Sabine,

I guess you didn't hear about the 2 ladies up in LA who would take in homeless men, put them up in an apartment, buy multiple life insurance policies on them, then run the men over with their cars and leave their bodies in an alley then collect on the insurance. They got more than $5 million this way. They were in their mid 60's. Not very nice

I didn't read the original post 'cause I am not that into LV. It just isn't the kind of thing I'd want. Maybe all the mention of expensive brands could be construed as over the top, but I find that when I am satisfied with my own life, I am happy that other people can have the things they like too. One thing that was drilled into me as a kid was it is "vulgah" to discuss money in a social context. So I am never comfortable with it.

I'd prefer to think that makes me a bit old fashioned, rather than just plain old
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

NHWR-
    I agree- came from the same school-....don't talk about money and live modestly...which is what I do...
    I read the post to be about the lack of quality of a LV bag....but I guess- since I apparently live in the middle of the expensive OC and still manage to be on the moon- I know nothing.
    Just this weekend a judge/friend mentioned that her new Henning had arrived but didn't fit her in the twist...and I quickly remembered the post..I guess I must be out of it but I realized then that this is the 'in' thing now..so sorry...I know nothing..no LV bag for me and no Henning- but I love my Schleese- is that considered bragging???

- but still I do prefer to assume the best of people...- so now you can call me a VERY old lady!LOL!

When you live in so cal amongst some of the wealthiest people in the industry you are less affected by the name dropping and those who are impressed by designer this or that. I frankly could care less what others have. I gave up my LV's long ago, don't have a hennig, I have schleese's and too many I might add. And I wear Maui Jim or Silouette Sunglasses. My car is beat up I am struggling to pay for my bills. I think I am like many other people, and certainly don't look at other for what they do or don't have. I always feel a bit sorry for people who are so affected by the "nice things".

Okay I'm going to have to admit that when this post was first started I was totally confused. I reread it multiple times and was like "is there a question in here that I'm missing? Or....". Now that it's 3 pages and the OP removed the post I'm still confused. What was the point? It's like me posting what my cat ate for breakfast, irrelevant and nobody cares.

My posts were of the mild poking variety. Others talked about conspicuous consumption but for me it was just responding to another me me me inane thread. Another in a series.

We horse owners are all over the top with conspicuous consumption in comparison with many others in the world. It's obscene if you really allow yourself to think about it.

i think yf's friend was giving her a ribbing for talking about the price of her horse. and it's well deserved. that isn't something well mannered people talk about.

my acquaintance was saying how she got a 'deal' on her horse for 30,000 dollars.

a lady next to us in the restaurant leaned over and said something to the effect that that is a pretty effed up way to spend money and that it could be spent on far worthier things.

bottom line is, though, that everyone decides how to spend their own money, and i don't begrudge anyone that any more than i do myself. however, it would be better manners to not go talking about it quite so much. it would be nice if people set some small amount aside for good works while they are lavishing all that fat cash on themselves.

slc

What I don't understand is why everyone has to be so mean.-Young Filly
    Pot, meet frying pans.

age and experience will trump youth and beauty every time