The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

no, I just can't spell, lol. and the n key is broken on my keyboard. <grin>

And the Hennig is more useful than the hand bag because its able to be used without breaking.

i can't imagine how anyone could spend that much money on such a ridiculous trinket, or spend so much time talking about it.

I'm all about fancy sunglasses, but $4600??? That's rediculous.....

Seriously, donate the money.... do something worthwhile.

This is a case where Aunt Esther's purse might be more appropriate.

Regarding the analogy with bicycles... As someone who has professionally trained many cyclists and raced many races myself, I would never recommend that someone spend $4000+ on their first bike. Buying a high-end race bike when you are first learning how to ride and race is just a waste of money. There are many more moderately priced bikes ($1000 - $1500) that would be much more appropriate. I am not saying you want to get a mountain bike or tricycle to learn to road race, but a high-end bike is just inappropriate for a beginner. As a cyclist develops, the original bike they thought was perfect--especially if it was a bike designed for someone way beyond their ability--may wind up not being their best match for equipment. I have seen many people waste $5000 on a bike never to do much of anything with it in the end. Much more successful are the athletes who start with a modest bike that will allow them to get experience and gain cycling fitness, and then when they have reached a certain level of performance where the equipment is actually holding them back, THEN we upgrade to a better bike.

Don't know if that relates to dressage horses, but it seems a logical path...

I have to go with the people in the office. My horse is far prettier than any handbag and consumes more money than could ever be considered sane. If this is a disscussion about who can waste more money on pretty things I think it is safe to say that we all win over the non horsey variety!

I'm all for liking extremely nice things. (That is NOT to say I often buy them.) But even with the places I have shopped at (excuse me, looked around at and bought one thing every year), I have yet to even come across a pair of 4600 sunglasses... and I have seen a pretty big number of Chanel sunglasses. I don't think that can be defended on any level- I think the only answer there is to show off. Sorry, my opinion, I just don't see it any other way.
    <><

I don't know about the bike comparison. I mean, we hear about people paying alot of money to buy schoolmasters, and gaining invaluable experience on them. Of course they cost more, but that's worth it.

I agree somewhat about buying really expensive hand bags and stuff, a lot of its not nessarry, but if you can afford it, I don't see an issue with it. Are you supposed to never indulge yourself? I mean, going to extremes is one thing, but treating youself to something nice every once in a while is, just that, nice. Be nice to yourselves every once in a while, and that way you won't be bitter by seeing someone else with nice stuff.

This is a light hearted thread, don't get all snarky now!

well i don;t have many Non horsey friends,, those people just don't get it

I will admit the ones I do have cannot understand that I don't have a handbag, and would never understand that I find the most efficient place to keep my cash is the dryer.,.. which is where it all ends up anyway
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

MagicRoseFarm thats were my cash ends up too, in the dryer!

I guess I knew there were people like this but I thought it was more in the nature of a stereotype or caricature.

PS What are these jobs people have wear(sic) they don't have to know how to spell?

Here's how out-of-it I am. I've never heard of Louis Vuitton or his little hand bags either!

New rider,(assuming you didn't type all that just to argue with me) since you haven't been around too long I'll explain:

There is another prominent poster on this thread who has trained in bike racing other than you and

the comparison was between a tricycle/mountain bike, something we both agree would not be too helpful in learning to race, and the best racing bike one could afford. Now in a world of Louis Vuitton and Chanel, I suppose some would buy the $5k bike just because it was $5k. From personal experience I can tell you there is a palpable difference between a $500 and a $5000 racing bike. But of course there are many in between. That was not my point. The comparison was not about different sorts of racing bikes. If you had to choose between the trike and the race bike, which is more suitable? If you only had that choice?

Ultimately, the $5000 race bike will take you further. Ultimately, the GP schoolmaster will take you further. Functionally speaking.

But I think as others have joked around on this thread, it is about fashion. While the rice bag is every bit as functional as the LV one, the LV bag has a certain cache that some people feel worth paying for. Sure, the GP schoolhorse or the alloy racing bike have a certain cache to them as well, but the fact is, both of these are far more functional than their lower priced substitutes, unlike the handbag.

For a snarky person who "knows the price of everything but the value of nothing" a GP dressage horse may be nothing more than a fancy status symbol when a lower priced horse can be ridden just as easily. Such a person would not understand the functional value of either the schoolmaster or the high end bike. Just as I do not understand the functional value of the entwined "CC" or "LV" trademarks on an otherwise $50 handbag.

Somehow, I think Young Filly understands both sides.

Perhaps, but this is the same person who thought that geldings didn't have bone marrow so it's hard to say..

egontoast, seeing your so brilliant yourself, you might have made your way over to the Barbaro thread. Evidently, there was a reason, that I could have come to believe that, CONSIDERING, that even today they will put a horse down with that kind of an injury.

Some people are definately of the 'old lady' variety, who would love to point at other people and point out there faults, and then there are others, who try to look at the good things in life. There are way to many old ladies here in the dressage forum, thats for sure.

I guess no one should enjoy anything and be like egontoast and be mean to other people and be jelous of anything they don't have hummm?

As for the spelling, get over yourselves people. I am not going to spell check everything I write.

My goodness. I just cannot believe some people on this thread! It's light hearted and laughing at the comparisons that nonhorsey people made. So somehow it goes into making snarky comments about having a job where you dont have to know how to spell and making snarky comments on a mistyping? Really now. The snarkiness really is uncalled for. There are THOUSANDS of misspelled words on this forum. Why not go to each of those posts and point them out? Or do you have something personal with YF, ego? Sometimes, well not really.. it does lose the shock factor.. but really, sometimes the people on this board (not just the dressage forum, but the whole place) just really floor me with how bitchy they can be about the smallest, idiotic things just to get a jab in.. with some stranger.. on the computer.. Wheres the head exploding icon?

Anyways, exiting the post 'cause Lord knows this will probably stir the pot.. but I never do voice my thoughts but I guess I might as well join in and put my 2ยข in.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Smile

Chill everyone- let's be cool- it's never about money in real life but really all about being a chill person, smart, sensitive and cool to a certain degree...and by and large (don't make me quote names now...LOL) I think we are that...some have bigger wallets, others have smaller ones- it's a matter of what choices you made in your life and how they weigh in at this particular time...frankly- I bought my daughter a Dior Saddlebag for her grad surprise- because I knew it was a dream of hers...but honestly- I never ever had bought a bag for myself for more than maybe $ 150.00.
    I was given a nice Italian bag once- several thousand $$ worth- but that was a treat and an exception.... let's not compare money- it get's old and takes away all the meaning...
    what matters is life is really only what contributes to true happiness and sense of feeling really great! this can be a horse, a saddle, a purse, a bike or anything else and it can cost from $5 to $ 5mio. there is no price for happiness and sense of fulfillment.!

Totally agree.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Ok I'll admit that I find shallow narcissism irritating. If that makes me an
    "old lady", fine. I'm an Old Lady then. I like most Old Ladies.

I'm with the Egon here -- I didn't get that this post was lighthearted and laughing, all I saw was "I have an excuse to post that I have expensive stuff". With maybe a subtitle of: "Who cares, you don't need to be able to spell it to buy it."

Old, we're just old. And someday soon we will be buried in off-brand caskets.

BTW, add narrowminded to my description too. I find myself thinking of things in terms of how many treated bednets to prevent malaria I could buy if I lowered my standard of living a little. If I skip my daily soda pop for one week, voila', save a life. https://www.unfoundation.org/donate/malaria.asp
    Don't get me wrong, I still heart my disposable income or I wouldn't even have a horse and I love a well-made saddle as much (or more, sadly) as the next guy. Bragging about conspicuous consumption just doesn't sit as well with me now that I'm old like Egon.