The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

This is why I just opted for a big fat gold band. I've bent too many rings from holding lunge lines & reins, only to have to cut the rings off before the finger fell off!

I've had this one for 3 yrs now, buffs up great, never loses its shape. Plus I've seen too many pieces of jewerly lost by riders. One lost a diamond pendant while jumping. Her jump bat hooked the necklace and broke the chain. Another was wearing a tennis bracelet that somehow came apart and only pieces were found in the footing.

Not worth the worry IMO

Talking

I don't wear my rings. I'm afraid the diamond might come off in my glove, or get knocked loose somehow. I've also broken enough fingers (and toes) that I don't want to have to get them cut off! The rings-not fingers and toes.
    Life is great when you can hug a horse.

My wedding band stays on all the time. I take my engagement ring off at night so I don't maim hubby or I in our sleep, and put it on whenever I leave to go somewhere. If I don't go anywhere during the day (my office is at home), then I don't always put it on.

So, as far as riding goes, if I have my e-ring on when I go outside, then I ride in it. It I haven't put it on that day, I don't. I don't make a special effort to be sure to take it off. It has been subjected to barn stuff for over five years now, and I've never had a problem. I will, however, be sure to take it off if I plan to wear gloves (rare, because I hate gloves), because gloves and a pokey diamond don't work.

My diamond is not huge (I picked it out...did NOT want a big honkin' thing) and is in a very simple but very strudy platnium setting. Although it is kind of a high setting, it is so simple and beefy that I really don't worry about the rock coming out. I do get my prongs checked somewhat regularly.

Smile

No I don't wear my ring....I am divorced. Traded the ring in , and got big honkin' diamond earrings instead. I wear them everyday all day.

I have always ridden with my rings on and gloves, but having just gotten married last month (yay!) and having both an e-ring and a band, I may opt to take them off after reading this thread. Today was only the second ride on my 3 year old, so I hadn't really thought about it much. It just seems that the two rings are more likely to get stuck and more quickly just by virtue of the wider band area. That said, I did choose rings that didn't set up much with riding in mind.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

First CONGRATS on getting engaged!

As for wearing my rings at the barn....Nope....a girlfiend of mine lost her diamond at the barn by an accidental "whack" and I don't want to do the same.

My stone is fairly big and set up a little higher than normal so it's easy to whack things on it. The band is channel-set stones...both of them come off before I hit the barn. The barn is dirty and I like my rings clean and shiney.

I have a thick platinum "barn band" that I wear to shows,weekends and while traveling.

My engagement and wedding rings are soldered together. They turn when I ride, and the setting (a very deep-set sapphire) winds up between my second and third fingers--very uncomfortable! So now I remove it whenever I ride. It either goes in a silver cup in my drawer in the bathoom vanity, or deep in my jeans pocket.

I once lost a nice bracelet that my best friend had given me. The worst part was that I lost it while hacking three horses at Children's Services. I had been all over that show grounds, so there was no way I was going to be able to retrace my steps.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Default nope!

my ring is titanium with a pressure mounted small diamond. I take it off because I get a callus if I don't and if I were to break my finger, they don't have the equipment to cut titanium in the ER.

when I broke my ankle the other day, I remembered to take off my ring and hand it to my partner before they put the iv in my hand, which was a smart move as they missed the vein and my hand swelled up like a balloon!

Congrats!

I wear my wedding band (platinum with 6 diamonds set into the ring so its flat), but not engagement ring. My trainer fell and lost her diamond right before I got engaged , so I do not risk it. While I do have mine insured(BTW you should definately do that), I would be mortified if I lost it. I love it too much!

My engagement ring has 4 really small diamonds, 2 med ones and 1 honkin round cut diamond that was my hubby's grandmother's (passed away). It is an heirloom and is worth more in emotional value that insurance would cover so I have a special box I keep it in in my glove compartment whenever I am at the barn.

Several years ago, I was wearing my wedding ring and picked up the hoof of a horse that was badly in need of a reset. One of the loose nail ends hooked into my ring and I felt the tug, carefully unhooked it and set down the foot, then immediately put my ring in my pocket. Haven't worn it in the barn since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Sing Mia Song
    My engagement and wedding rings are soldered together. They turn when I ride, and the setting (a very deep-set sapphire) winds up between my second and third fingers--very uncomfortable! So now I remove it whenever I ride. It either goes in a silver cup in my drawer in the bathoom vanity, or deep in my jeans pocket.
    Same thing happens tome with my engagement ring - definately very uncomfortable! So I rarely wear it - I'd wear the ring more but I always forget to put it back on My wedding ring was my grandmothers and I chose to use it as my wedding ring just because it was very thin an I knew it wouldn't cause me pain when I rode!

I only wear one ring on each hand and I never take them off. The engagement part of my wedding set has a solitaire that sits pretty high, so I am careful when taking my gloves off, but I feel a lot safer with it on my hand than dealing with the possibility of losing it when I take it off.
    My right hand ring has 8 diamonds that I had set so they are completely protected by the setting....there is no way those puppies are falling out.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Default One more thing about platinum

Even though platinum is the strongest, that does not mean the prongs won't bend! I bent one of the prongs on my ring and I have NO idea how I did it. I just looked down one night and say it was bent (scared the ever lovin $#!^ out of me too). Sometime if you hit it just right at the right angle it can bend, especially if it is set up higher (mine is set up pretty high).

Onelaneoad...LOVE your ring! I've always liked the old style pave settings...they're not known for being tough though. The good thing is, pave set stones are easily replaced and not too expensive.
    With all this chatter about e-rings...I had to go look at where I keep mine stored and check it out again. I haven't looked at it in a few months, it sure is pretty.
    I also don't like to wear both rings at the same time...I get callouses from that too.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I take mine off. I have platinum rings, the engagement ring I never wear to the barn. The wedding ring is a band with the diamonds inset, and I take it off once I get to the barn. Currently, it goes in my cupholder when I get to the barn, and goes back on my finger when I get back in the car. Even though the diamonds are inset, there is scrollwork along the sides and it is a pain to clean. Putting it in the same place each time means I don't lose it.

Plus, back when I was a youngster, I always wore rings to the barn, and frequently rode bareback. One day after a nice long ride on my pony with plenty of gallops, I found a couple of long mane hairs had worked their way under one of my rings. It didn't hurt at all, but there was quite a bit of blood, and I still have a scar on my finger that goes all the way around. Nice, huh?
    The artist's coming into being is delivered as an aesthetic experience. -J. Ransome

Default SNARK!

I don't think people were trying to brag about the size of their diamonds (at least I wasn't) but describing if it bothers them riding, etc. After all, BIG is in the eye of the beholder, now isn't it?

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

yes but I always feel that I shouldn't. However,I figure the risk of my losing it while off my finger is greater than the risk of the diamond coming out while riding (and I wear gloves 99.9% of the time anyway, so it would just stay in the glove. Now, of course we all know the only time I'd lose it would be that 0.1% of the time I didn't have gloves on.

My thin, flat wedding band stays on, the remainder of any jewelry goes in the drawer. It also helps to ride with gloves if you want to protect the band.

lizathenag: titanium? pressure-set stone? you san fran folks are always cutting edge!

Default No barn bling for me (usually)

I generally ride first thing in the morning and don't sleep in my rings, so it's easy to leave them off when I head to the barn. The only exception is when I fall asleep in my wedding band (platinum, channel set diamonds). My fingers swell when I sleep, and the band is hard to remove when I first wake up, so in those instances I shrug and take it along for the ride, as it were. I never ride in my engagement ring - will leave it in a box in the car if I need to.

I've never really considered the safety issue before. Have generally been more concerned with damaging my rings and keeping them shiny and clean.