The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I've ridden with my engagement and wedding rings every day since I got them (over 5 years) without incident. I did have to have the setting changed once because it kept getting caught on stuff. Nevertheless, I think I'll reconsider after reading Kikki's story. That sounds horrifying and painful.

A friend of mine was wearing a pair of 1-carat diamond earrings while riding once, and one fell out. She didn't notice until later, and never found it. So now there is a diamond somewhere under the footing in the indoor. For weeks afterward the instructor had to yell at everyone to keep their eyes up, because we were all looking for that diamond.

I wear my e-ring and wedding band to the barn every day. I"d lose them if I took them off. I wear gloves when lunging and riding, in the hopes of catching the stone in the glove if I ever pry it off. If I do lose it, I'll buy a big fake one and finally stop worrying

I kinda like this idea for a combo wedding ring, but a wider band and not narrowing at the stone:
    http://www.faycullen.com/_pics/800/c1213r4d/p.jpg

Or maybe something like this, but not a sapphire:
    http://www.faycullen.com/_pics/800/c1224r2sd/p.jpg
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

My plain gold wedding band never comes off (not even sure it would any more...) it was my great-grandmother's.

I tend not to wear my engagement ring to the barn.

I don't have an engagement ring. I tend to have jobs which require me to do a lot of equipment repair. I told hubby not to bother getting me a ring. I knew I'd ruin it or lose it or scratch something I was working on with the stone. We got platinum wedding bands because platinum is a harder metal than gold; both of us figured gold wouldn't survive the punishment we'd mete out. I haven't had a problem with getting things caught under my ring, probably because of the way my hand and fingers are shaped. My skin folds over the lower edge of the ring whenever I bend my fingers to grip something. I do take my wedding ring off if I'm going to be raking or shovelling; I get a blister if I don't.

Retired astronaut Neil Armstrong lost his finger in an accident on his farm. He jumped off the back of a truck and caught his ring on a latch on the way down. Ouch! I believe he had successful surgery to reattach it.

You know you love horses when you purposely pick out the setting/diamond size/shape around how easy it would be to wear it around the barn. With that said, I found it totally annoying to ride in because it turns and ends up under my fingers. So now I just leave it home. I do ride in my class ring though.

I inherited my engagement ring from my mother (she adores my husband so much that she voluntarily offered her ring for him to pass on to me) and I would just be crushed to lose it. I either leave it at home when I ride or I put it in a special small candy tin that I keep in the car for situations where I didn't *think* I was going to be at the barn but oops, there I am.

My husband completely understands why I don't wear it to the barn and doesn't mind one bit. Neither does my mother--she used to take it off all the time because she was a skydiving instructor and didn't want to lose it in freefall!

Default Yes, but

I don't have an engagement ring and my husband and I had custom designed matching bands with no stones. Instead he spent the money that would have gone towards a diamond on a warmblood filly. I should have called her "Diamond Ring".

I still wear the band everywhere but am having second thoughts. A friend at work recently tripped over a vacuum cord left by the cleaners, she put her left hand out toward a filing cabinet to break her fall and broke two fingers. Her whole hand began to swell very quickly and she had to have the rings cut off (in a very painful manner, I am told). So if I think of it I will take even the band off before I ride. If it makes my husband think he has competition, well, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue
    No, I ride in my *riding* ring!
    LOL! It actually took me a second to get that one! LOL! sad, but true.

I will add that I now take my ring off at the rescue because I do a lot of sheath cleaning and don't want to hurt horseys...didn't share that with the jeweler who had to get it off my finger for me in order to size it...and I do the "leave the ring in the car" routine...

Nope, like another poster I remove all jewelry (ok, my ring and my Mickey watch) when I get home. I've already had the center diamond *still in the prongs* come out and thankfully found it. And this was NOT from doing anything strenuous or remotely physical. So no, not taking any chances here!

I never got an engagement ring and, rather than hope I'll get one belatedly, I'm planning to ask hubby for an arena when we eventually move to acreage. Little does he know that I'll want a "ring" after all!

I am not a diamond kind of a girl. I have a flat band wedding ring which is very comfortable; I wear it all the time. I would lose it in about ten seconds flat if I EVER took it off!

I don't wear mine at the barn or while I'm riding. I'm too afraid of losing it and Hubby understands completely.
    If you cannot set a good example, at least serve as a terrible warning....

I used to ride in my wedding and engagement rings... then I lost the stone from my engagement ring (a pretty, well, very, expensive star saphire... ) (should I add that my gloves had holes in them??) ... the home owners insurance didn't cover it (and we sure couldn't find it in the friend's sand arena)... we were separated before it got replaced and divorced a year later

But I have a LOT more horses, and a lot NICER horses now!
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue
    No, I ride in my *riding* ring!
    Very cute!

I do wear my high-set diamond while riding. I agree it's very uncomfortable while wearing gloves. But it's so beautiful, I don't want to be without wearing it. Plus, it's set in platinum, which will hold better than silver or gold with all the knocks against it.

I wear my 25 carat diamond to the barn, because if i lose it i figure i can just get another one.

Quote Originally Posted by FairWeather
    I wear my 25 carat diamond to the barn, because if i lose it i figure i can just get another one.
    It's only money, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by carp
    It's only money, after all.
    Exactly! See you totally get my point.

Put a small ring box in your trunk, where only you know where it is. Take your ring off when you get to the barn, put it in the box. Before you leave, put it back on. You'd probably forget it a couple times but I'm sure you'd get the hang of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilary
    That's why I designed my engagement ring to have flat settings. I know some people don't wear rings at all for safety, but I do wear both my wedding and engagement rings all the time. The three small stones are set with bezels and very sturdy prongs. Nothing to stick up and catch, and no danger of them being popped out.
    My ring is similar and I also wear my engagement and wedding band all the time. And half the time I forget gloves. My very thoughtful DH had my ring custom made with the horse activity in mind.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

I don't ride in my engagement ring. The setting is high and while the diamond's not huge, it's gotten caught on sweaters and things already, so I can only imagine what the rigors of riding might do to it.

I'm not sure what I'll do once we get married (less than four months now!) because the band is an eternity-type band with pave-set diamonds ... not sure how durable that is. They're fairly flush with the edges of the ring, but I would hate to have anything happen to it. I'm thinking of getting a narrow, plain platinum band to wear to the barn instead.

MistyBlue, I wanted a ring similar to what you were looking for. I ended up with this. Love the engraving on the sides of the bands.

To the OP, congrats! Isn't wedding planning fun?!
    Full-time bargain hunter.