The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Do you ride in your wedding ring?

I got engaged in December, and I LOVE my ring with it's big honkin' diamond. That being said, it is not particularly comfortable to ride in (I wear gloves too), and I'm paranoid about the stone getting knocked out even though that is highly unlikely. After a nerve-racking couple of days where it went missing in the tack room/giant trashcan of my car, I would prefer to leave it home rather than risk losing it. However, I think my fiance's feelings are hurt that I don't want to wear it every second. I know this seems like a silly question, but do many of you ride and work inthe barn with your rings on?

The first thing I do when I get home from work is change my clothes and take off all my jewlery. The only nice rings I have are my wedding set and a pearl solitaire, neither of which I want to loose in a pile of horse poop!

Oh, and congratulations!

When I used to wear my engagement ring, I would take it off and put it in my shoe in my locker (back in my boarding barn days). I was never good at being careful about it -- so I had to take it off. When we hit our 10th anniversary we bought eachother platinum bands (our original bands were cheap and oy, too small by year 10!). Now my engagement ring sits in a box at home and I have no problems wearing the band.

How about leaving the ring at home and just wearing your wedding band after you're married?

Congrats, by the way!
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.

That's why I designed my engagement ring to have flat settings. I know some people don't wear rings at all for safety, but I do wear both my wedding and engagement rings all the time. The three small stones are set with bezels and very sturdy prongs. Nothing to stick up and catch, and no danger of them being popped out.

I never take off my wedding ring, but it is just a plain gold band. After losing the diamond on my engagement ring somewhere, I never wear the replacement when I am doing anything around the horses (or anything physical).

A friend in California told me the trendy thing to do is get a CZ replica made to wear at the barn, that way if you lose it, oh well!
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Cool

I ride in my ENGAGEMENT ring ( also a big honkin' diamond)...my EX-FIANCE (took us 20 years to get engaged, but that's a whole 'nother story, LOL) had it made with specific instructions to the jeweler to make it strong as I wanted to be able to ride in it...it's 6-prong tiff setting. It does shift around in riding gloves though...I've contemplated just cutting a hole in teh glove over the stone so it wouldn't get between my fingers.
    That being said, I have heard horror stories of someone losing a finger because their ring got caught in the bit/bridle/whatever...or perhaps it was urban legend...like the doberman with the burglar's fingers in his mouth...but I digress.

I do wear my wedding band everywhere...only ever take it off to clean it. (not out of sentiment but because I'm too likely to lose it! ) But I don't have the same problem. I knew when I was choosing my ring that one of the criteria was that it was very comfortable and had nothing that would catch. Also that it was of a hard enough metal (ie, not a really soft high-carat gold) that it wouldn't get bent &/or scratched easily. So I chose a ring with very smooth edges and a small recessed diamond.

In your case, I wouldn't wear it. What about getting a small ring box (maybe the one it came it) and putting the box in a specific place in your car like the glove box and making a habit of putting it in that box right before you ride? Then once you get married you can switch to a flat band & only wear the big diamond where it's appropriate. If you're leaving your ring in your car (or anywhere else) please make sure it's insured, that you're discrete about taking it off/on, and that you keep your car locked. We like to think we can trust everyone, but better safe than sorry!

As someone who has NEARLY knocked the diamond out of her engagement ring at the barn (it was actually crooked in the setting, just weeks after I had the prongs replaced due to wear), I no longer wear it to the barn. Hubby understands that I do this because I don't want anything to happen to it.

No, I ride in my *riding* ring!

Sorry, couldn't resist, LOL!

No, I don't wear my engagement ring when in the barn or riding. Actually, the last few years I only wear that ring when going out somewhere special. I do wear my wedding bad, plain gold and platinum band. (ugly too, I didn't pick it LOL)
    I've been cruising online sites for a couple years now hoping to find a design for a ring I can wear all the time, but haven't yet found anything overly interesting. I'd love an old fashioned estate type setting...a semi-wide band with some sort of scroll work or something to liven it up and then have a recessed box setting for an emerald cut diamond in it. Something that will fit under gloves and won't have the stone knocked loose. Hubby is a romantic though...and really wants our wedding rings to match. He won't wear anything with a stone in it. But he *has* lost his wedding band so his doesn't match mine now. I don't think I can convince him to be content with new rings for both of us if they don't match. PLus, I'd have to trade in my engagement stone to make the ring I want...it's pear shaped. I love it in the setting it's in, but it doesn't work for me.
    Although with the man-hands that barn work, site work and riding give a woman...not so sure I want to show off my hands. A decent manicure just makes my hands look like a cross dresser's anyways.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

i take off my engagement ring and my other jewelry, i leave my wedding band on to go to the barn, but everything else i am afraid fo losing a stone( i have done that at home, the prong broke, thankfully i found the stone) or getting it all dirty gunky. so i have a box in my bathroom, and i leave my nice rings in it when i go to the barn. after i get back, i scrub my nails with a nail brush, then i put my rings back on.

hahaha, misty... you funny. ;-)

try this on for size - i told my then-boyfriend "it has to be a small stone so it doesn't get caught on everything around the barn!"

haha... and now i just wear my (white gold with inset diamonds) wedding band. duh - woulda gone for the big honkin' rock on the e-ring if I had known!!!

My husband's feelings DO get hurt if I am out and about with neither ring on.
    Fun equestrian t-shirts designed by a rider like you:
    http://skreened.com/laughinglion

I don't ride in rings (or do anything at the barn for that matter) and encourage others to do the same because of the increased risk of breaking your finger when doing these things. I had a good friend that got her hand caught in the reins of a horse's bridle that she was holding for a second. The horse spooks, bolts, and two of her fingers were dislocated. Well, in the few seconds it took her to go, hmmm, I should get these rings off NOW, her finger was already so swolen and painful that she couldn't get them off. By the time she got to the ER, her two fingers with rings on them were nearly black from the blood collecting in her fingers. The doctors where concerned that there would be a lot of tissue damage and she may have to lose one or both of her fingers eventually. Fortunately, she ended up fine, but ever since then, I don't wear my rings at the barn. I take off all my jewelry when I go home before or I have a little jewelry bag in my console to put everything in. The only thing I will ride in are smallish earrings, but most of the time I take them off too as I have several expensive pair and they are just too easy to lose.

I designed my ring specifically because I knew I would want to wear it at the barn. It's platinum (because it's stronger than gold) and has a ramped setting to keep the diamond protected and is designed so that it doesn't have a lot of nooks and cranneys where dirt can get stuck.

I knew that if I took it off at the barn I would a) lose it, definitely! and b) never wear it, because I'm always at the barn!

I used to be the biggest stickler for the "no jewelery when riding/around horses" rule but now I'm totally lax. A honking diamond that I'm proud to wear helped me decide to start breaking my own rule.

(When I get a band it will be plain and platinum and I'll be more likely to take off the engagement ring if I have something to wear on that finger. Now it feels naked without a ring on it!)
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Not anymore. It's just not worth the risk to my fingers or my ring.

1) My mom got her engagement ring caught in a cotton leadrope. Her ring stayed in tact and her fingers were rotated completely out of the sockets. It has been 15 years and she still has major problems with her fingers.

2) My stone (also a big honking diamond in platinum with double channels of diamonds up the sides) was designed by a jeweler who is also a rider. The stone was set in 6 prongs and double reinforced to the setting. I still lost the stone IN THE PRONGS. It tore completely out of the setting. It took me months of looking for it and it finally turned up in the inner mechanism of my vaccumn cleaner. I could never have afforded to replace it and my insurance rider (as I sadly learned) was not enough to cover even putting a fake CZ in it's place. Of course, the insurance was changed as soon as I found it.

I will never wear rings in the barn- ever.

PS I have an $80/year rider on my ring that covers worldwide theft/damage/misplacement up to $15k, so that helps...
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

I broke my favorite ring at the barn. It got caught on my longe line when the horse bucked one big happy exuberant buck sideways. I'm forever grateful that the band was weak and broke, because my finger was extremely sore!

I did know a man who lost a finger with his wedding band. He was a constructions worker. It's not an urban legend.

In my groom box is a little velvet bag, my rings go in there if I'm not alone at the farm. If I'm alone I just hang them under a bit in the washstall.

Steph

How funny - I was wondering this earlier!

I take off both my wedding band and e-ring before going to my lesson, as well as my earrings (which are only studs). It's not really fear of damaging the rings, but of the blisters I've gotten when I've forgotten to take them off! Both of my rings are too big and slide around, which is quite a pain when riding.

The earring, well, I have a weird paranoia of falling off and the earring post getting stuck in my neck!

I used to ride in my 3.5 carat engagement ring until my horse bit it. Yep tried to eat that hunk of platinum right off my left hand. I told him I was going in after it if he tried that again. I think he was telling me something, because we got un-engaged shortly thereafter I kept the ring though No longer ride in it. Too dangerous with mouthy horses

I acutally did destroy my first engagement ring...our jeweller was appalled

It was a family heirloom in my husband's family (oops) but it was set up ridiculously high and although made from platinum...much too delicate for barn work...well I wasn't about to NOT wear it - I ended up wrenching the diamond almost completely out of it's setting (thank the good Lord I noticed before I lost it) and the jeweller said the setting could not be replaced as it was delicate to begin with.

So I designed a more practical, sturdy ring...the middle diamond is secured by 12 prongs in a square setting and the side diamonds are flush with the setting...unfortunately I designed my wedding band to fit my engagement ring and now cannot wear them separately as it looks stupid.

So basically I wear them to the barn unless I remember to take them off (which is hardly ever)...I like the CZ idea though.
    \"Don\'t go throwing effort after foolishness\" >>>Spur, Man From Snowy River