The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Rant on horrible riders/"trainers"

I am completely wrong.

I have manipulated the situation to make for better reading. I apparently did not understand the whole events and let it get way out of control. I am extremely sorry. It was meant to be nothing but a bitch-fest at what I considered wrong (and apparently I'm wrong with that too) and it turned into an event in which people got hurt - myself included.

You can be sure I have learnt my lesson. The world is a very small place. I'll shut my mouth from now on. And I hope that those involved harbor no ill-will.
    Last edited by TropicalStorm; May. 22, 2006 at 11:15 PM.
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

Wow Tropical Storm, you are having a bad time lately. Sorry, but am feeling really bad for the pony here. What a disaster and not typical of the pony club type things we have over here. I have a feeling your not going to get too far in what you are pursuing! Good Luck
    Terri

Is there some kind of higher-up that you can report this behavior to? A lot of that is borderline abusive, and some of it IS abusive. I would have not restrained myself in your shoes, I'm glad I wasn't there.

I honestly dont know.

I am going to be talking to my 2 friends who also teach in Pony Club and see what the heck can be done
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

Man oh man. I almost want to forward this post to my trainer who happens to be very involved in Pony Club here. I will definately ask her about it tomorrow. Terrible, just terrible!!! I have watched quite a few of the Pony Club kids here and never seen anything even remotely like what you just described. Is it the same organization as Pony Club in the USA??
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Thankfully not typical of pony club that I have seen. But it is possible to have new members to pony club who come from a different training background and have brought their habits (good or bad) with them. I have been to rallies where I have heard comments (and have wanted to comment myself) about certain riders. Ususally they are UR or lower level D's and are new to pc. I would definitely report the abuse however. Unfortunately I have seen that in all venues.
    Lori
    www.calypsofarm.piczo.com

teehee, i JUST finished reading this story.... on LJ!
    Have YOU ever looked into the eyes of a rich white child who has just lost a jumping competition?

Move. It's obviously your only option.

Sigh, I hope there is SOMETHING that can be done about that. If I saw some small child abusing her 2 year old pony she'd learn the difference between abuse and desensitizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishrose261
    teehee, i JUST finished reading this story.... on LJ!
    Where on LJ is it? I'm sure I'll come across it again...

To the OP - wow you get points for holding your tongue (I agree, speaking up would not have accomplished ANYTHING in that scenario). The poor poor pony. :-(
    Sarah ( & Regal)

what doesn't kill you makes you stronger -
    unless it breaks your heart first

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

Unfortunately I have seen some PC riders and trainers like this around here.

Why would you tie your arms to your body? Your arm is supposed to have a range of motion - granted, not flapping like a chicken, but part of being soft is giving with your elbows and arms.

I am really surprised - I thought PC had standards. Sickening.
    It especially upsets me because so many non-horsey parents are directed to Pony Club to help ensure theiur kids do the right thing.

What a Scene! I am surprised you kept your mouth closed..I know I would have gotten myself into trouble saying things that would have gotten me run out on a rail...there is nothing more frustrating than an ignorant horse owner/ who thinks they're a trainer/who thinks they are GOOD/who thinks they know everything...and you just have to walk away and shake your head and be thankful for being a responsible, ethical horse owner who knows what DOESNT work for you and your horsies...

That's the thing that upset me. I've seen Pony Club before and was actually involved in it for a year...we were NEVER this bad. We also have pony club at my stable, in which they are supposed to get a dressage lesson a week-and they really get quality instruction, so I know that this isn't Pony Club that is the problem.

But seeing this, there has to be some standards, right? Who ties a kid up to help position? And what trainer allows the horses to be basically thumped in the ribs?!
    If anyone knows exactly what the requirements are, or if there is anything that I can do, that'd be great.

Our local pony club requires that ponies be at last 5 to participate (but maybe Elmo wasn't officially "PC" yet?).
    I wish I could say that I am shocked at the OP's post; horrified, yes, but shocked, unfortunately, no. I have witnessed quite a bit of similar "training" methods recently, particularly this so called "de-sensitizing" stuff. Suffice it to say I will no longer EVER send my horses away to be trained to a place where I can't stop by every day on a moment's notice.

Anyway, I wish I could rescue Elmo! He sounds like a saint to put up with his owners.

elmo wasn't in a lesson-he's not "trained" yet enough for it.
    This was after the lessons.
    However, the trainer was still right there and the girl is part of her lesson program

Ugh. Just ugh.

I feel so bad for those poor horses. I'm half-tempted to sic my old trainer on them.

Leah: You act stupid/mean to the horse/are generally an idiot and you will not be permitted to ride. Instead you will spend your lesson cleaning tack and mucking stalls.

Let's just say manual labor lessened the stupidity a bit at that barn
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

Wow. And I thought the trainers in our area sucked. You have me beat, both in trainers and neighbors.

Maybe you should move here...? I have Peep Sources and will share.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
    Wow. And I thought the trainers in our area sucked. You have me beat, both in trainers and neighbors.
    You know what's odd too? In like 8 years on the equestrian scence, I've NEVER had any problems. Maybe this is my month.

I should also clarify, I'M not involved in Pony Club, nor will I be at this point. I actually went with my friend to a) take some pictures of her ride and b) talk to the "trainer" of Jimmy the Spawn in hopes of gaining her help. As you can imagine, I nixed that idea.

I am sure you could reoprt this to the State Rep or something. Or just email the Canadian PC (here is USPC, but there I am guessing not) and tell them what you saw.

I will sometimes use my hand to 'flap' my horse, but I would never (physical limitations) reach her ribcage.

Well, in hopes for Jimmy the Spawn maybe he will have the you know what scared out of him (but for niceness, lets hope he isn't injured, too badly) and be afraid of all horses.