The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 69
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2010
    Location
    Madisonville, TX
    Posts
    710

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    If you know it all, it is probably best just to remain silent and let everyone else open their mouths to prove what fools they are.
    Pretty much this. Learning new things is pretty much my hobby. I live to learn. I may never do anything useful with the information, but I really just *enjoy* learning. I find something interesting, and I will spend hours and hours researching it.

    So as you can imagine, I can some across as a know-it-all who is always right.

    Long ago, I gave up bothering to open my mouth except once in a while. What's the point? People don't listen. I don't do the whole "bang my head against a brick wall" thing anymore. If someone doesn't want to listen to me, or agree with me, or believe me, that's their problem!

    I spend a lot of time writing out posts that I then close the page on, without posting. Makes me feel better and I don't have to deal with the proverbial brick wall either.
    ~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website


    5 members found this post helpful.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan. 6, 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3,704

    Default

    'Specially fun when someone asks your opinion on something, then cuts you off and tells you you're wrong before you're done answering.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2012
    Posts
    2,466

    Default

    Of course I know I'm right so I just get the popcorn and the lawn chair and watch the fun.
    Ride like you mean it.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb. 12, 2009
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Posts
    187

    Default

    My current, major peeve on Facebook is those who post incorrect quotes from famous people. These are almost always posted with a political agenda and a two minute Google search disproves them. This drives me crazy! People don't seem to realize that not only are there shady half-truths and exaggerations to be found on the internet, there are outright lies, and yet they'll blithely re-post 'em. I see this from my friends on both sides of the political spectrum and they don't realize that it just makes them look ignorant and uninformed.
    Juliette Beauchamp, LVT
    http://turtlemountainfarm.com/


    3 members found this post helpful.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul. 14, 2014
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    67

    Default

    I usually keep quiet unless it's something that could be harmful. Saved one coworker from having his credit card info stolen when he "won" a trip to Mexico from an airline he'd never even used. They apparently put him right through to the "hotel" to make reservations.... I found a link on the airline's website warning people scammers were using their name this way. It STILL took a lot of convincing this wasn't a legit call. Oy.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    44,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sansena View Post
    'Specially fun when someone asks your opinion on something, then cuts you off and tells you you're wrong before you're done answering.
    The beauty of forums, no one can cut you, you get the floor all by yourself for as long and as many times as you want.

    Warning, some posters like to have the last word, so at times you have to leave the floor to them.
    By then, it is obvious to everyone but them what the deal is, so it is ok to let it end anyway.

    Then, other times it is us who make a fool of ourselves, all by ourselves, oops.



  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul. 22, 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    251

    Default

    My mother, who is a fantastic diplomat, is a fan of the saying "it's sometimes better to be liked than to be right."


    1 members found this post helpful.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec. 2, 2009
    Posts
    3,791

    Default

    Learning new things is pretty much my hobby. I live to learn. I may never do anything useful with the information, but I really just *enjoy* learning. I find something interesting, and I will spend hours and hours researching it.
    Mine too, and it's been hard to realize that others aren't as interested. But they aren't.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan. 22, 2006
    Posts
    2,190

    Default

    This is me! I drive my husband crazy, I am almost always right.....because I don't speak up unless I am 99.9999% sure I am right to begin with! Also I love to learn, I know a ton of random things and learn more than oh its sorta like this that is cool. So many people will take the information they hear the first time and think its 100% true, they do not look at other sources and find out more information on it. I also like details. I have to work very hard to not correct people over silly things and think about if my information will really make a difference but sometimes I can't stop myself!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct. 28, 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    4,748

    Default

    What's a fact? Seriously.
    Look back at what humans declared were facts that are not facts now. Look at medicine or ,astronomy look at what were facts in the long past and even recent past. They aren't facts now.
    The earth is flat, the sun revolves around the earth.
    More recently: Pluto is no longer a planet.
    Manure placed on a wound heals it, the belief in spontaneous generation of life ( meat in a jar spontaneously generates life in the form of flies).
    A Fact is some point of view that most people in a given time period agree on.

    Okay, it's late and I'm getting a little abstract here. Time to go to bed.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    15,943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sirbeastmom View Post
    My mother, who is a fantastic diplomat, is a fan of the saying "it's sometimes better to be liked than to be right."
    Yabbut, don't you want someone who likes you *because* you are right?

    I can't imagine hanging out with someone who required that I check my brain at the door.

    I, too, know some stuff and am chilling out about letting others know what I know, now that I'm old. OTOH, don't make a stupid argument for some position contrary to mine and think I won't edit that puppy. If you are going to disagree, you'd better have logic and facts on your side. So should I.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat



  12. #32
    Join Date
    Mar. 14, 2004
    Location
    Left coast, left wing, left field
    Posts
    6,617

    Default

    I have this problem too. If I had to name my most salient trait, it would be curiosity. I look up everything! I can't tell you how many times I have corrected someone's shared Facebook drivel. And the best answer when I do so? "Well, it could be true, so I'm leaving it up." I never realized there were 50 shades of true.

    I belong to a horse related Facebook group for general discussion and questions. Someone just posted that she just got her first horse, and would love to hear helpful hints and other pieces of information. I had to walk away. Oh my God, the myths and old wives' tales and mistakes were rampant! Most of them weren't harmful. Just outdated, or unnecessary. But it really made me think. When better to be sure of your facts than when educating "the next generation"?
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

    Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?



  13. #33
    Join Date
    Feb. 25, 2011
    Location
    So California
    Posts
    3,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by triplethreat View Post
    First step is admitting you have a problem right? Well how do I stop? I mean, I'm not one of those people that HAS to be right. I just have a lot of knowledge and find it irresistable to correct people.

    There are two types of people in this world, people who think they know everything and people who do. I, of course, am one of the latter. HAHA. But seriously, I feel like it's not necessarily what I say but how I say it. I guess I come off as condescending? So how can I stop that?

    Please people, don't lecture me on how I'm an awful person and how all know-it-alls should perish from the earth.

    Oh and one time I though I was wrong, but it turns out I was mistaken. :P
    Well all I can say is enjoy your knowledge. Trust me, in a few decades you will start to be progressively and painfully aware of how much you don't know.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Nov. 1, 2012
    Posts
    325

    Default

    As one of life's curious people I have suffered from this in the past. Now, 95% of the time, I just let it slide. 5% of the time I will speak up if it's going to cause harm or I think the person is really going to take it on board.

    Always reminds me of the classic line "I can't come to bed, someone on the internet is wrong!" (and I've probably totally misquoted that )



  15. #35
    Join Date
    Apr. 13, 2013
    Location
    Vienna (world's top city for spies!)
    Posts
    787

    Default

    This thread must be a joke, right? Right . . . ?


    1 members found this post helpful.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    44,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    Well all I can say is enjoy your knowledge. Trust me, in a few decades you will start to be progressively and painfully aware of how much you don't know.
    The phrase is, loosely translated:

    “The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.”
    Attributed to Albert Einstein.

    (See, I even know that.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Feliz View Post
    As one of life's curious people I have suffered from this in the past. Now, 95% of the time, I just let it slide. 5% of the time I will speak up if it's going to cause harm or I think the person is really going to take it on board.

    Always reminds me of the classic line "I can't come to bed, someone on the internet is wrong!" (and I've probably totally misquoted that )
    Yep, that is an old New Yorker joke.
    See below.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zonderpaard View Post
    This thread must be a joke, right? Right . . . ?
    You think?

    Here it is:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wrong_Internet.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	40149  


    2 members found this post helpful.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jan. 6, 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3,704

    Default

    "What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?"


    ................"Don't know. Don't care."


    3 members found this post helpful.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2000
    Location
    Rochester,NY,USA
    Posts
    7,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sirbeastmom View Post
    My mother, who is a fantastic diplomat, is a fan of the saying "it's sometimes better to be liked than to be right."
    I'd rather NOT be liked by someone that stupid!

    As mvp said "Yabbut, don't you want someone who likes you *because* you are right?

    I can't imagine hanging out with someone who required that I check my brain at the door."


    Close to a yr ago on this board someone got particularly pissy on a thread (WOW something new on COTH). I PM'ed them to ask them what got their panties in a wad because I considered them a 'casual friend'. They explained their problem and ended their response with "Friends get pissy with friends-Get over it!". My thought is no, my friends don't get pissy with friends and you just lost a friend. Haven't corresponded or met that person since and I must say, I'm not the least bit unhappy. That person couldn't discuss an issue but would get pissy when they didn't how to respond.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!



  19. #39
    Join Date
    Apr. 22, 2013
    Location
    Cloudland, USA
    Posts
    532

    Default

    I love information and I love learning but I don't care for most know-it-alls. Most know-it-alls don't know it all. They think they know it all, or they think their interpretation of the facts is the only interpretation, and they'll often fight to the death (even in the face of overwhelming contradictory evidence) to prove they are "right", which can make them pretty close minded and no fun to converse with.

    It's one thing to be a know-it-all about straight up black-and-white FACTS. Those people - like the type who know all the answers to Jeopardy - can be pretty fun/interesting, and I'm amazed at their ability to retain facts like that. But most things are more complicated than that and/or they involve extrapolating conclusions from facts. Just look at how politicians and political parties can take the same facts and spin them in completely different directions and reach entirely opposite conclusions.

    Most of life is too complex to be "all known" by any know-it-all.

    As PeteyPie said, as you get older you'll realize how much you don't know. And thinking you know it all already isn't very conducive to learning.
    "...Internet outrage often says more about the commenter than the cause, and its deployment may do more harm than good..." -NY Times


    3 members found this post helpful.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Apr. 17, 2002
    Location
    between the barn and the pond
    Posts
    14,495

    Default

    There's nothing quite like a fact-crasher. They manage their way through conversations , interrupting others to right them, smiling proudly and completely misssing whatever the real point was, or better yet humiliating and alienating the others involved.

    There are times, and places, and ways to provide useful contributions that don't just rely on the facts and ignore tact. But most of us think the truth alone matters. And you'd be right...if being alone is your goal, you're on your way.


    3 members found this post helpful.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness