The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 69
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan. 12, 2014
    Posts
    111

    Default My name is triplethreat and I'm a know-it-all

    First step is admitting you have a problem right? Well how do I stop? I mean, I'm not one of those people that HAS to be right. I just have a lot of knowledge and find it irresistable to correct people.

    There are two types of people in this world, people who think they know everything and people who do. I, of course, am one of the latter. HAHA. But seriously, I feel like it's not necessarily what I say but how I say it. I guess I come off as condescending? So how can I stop that?

    Please people, don't lecture me on how I'm an awful person and how all know-it-alls should perish from the earth.

    Oh and one time I though I was wrong, but it turns out I was mistaken. :P


    2 members found this post helpful.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct. 12, 2005
    Location
    Va
    Posts
    3,746

    Default

    If you know it all, it is probably best just to remain silent and let everyone else open their mouths to prove what fools they are.


    12 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan. 12, 2014
    Posts
    111

    Default

    I guess I could try that. I just hate to think that people are going around misinformed and that I could have saved them by illuminating the truth!


    3 members found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan. 14, 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    6,296

    Default

    Yes I'm one of those too. But in my own defense, I don't open my mouth unless I am pretty damn sure that what I am saying is correct (to be differentiated from opinions where everyone has one and no one is right or wrong).

    You have the right attitude - self awareness and an ability to make fun of yourself.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov. 14, 2001
    Location
    B.C., Canada
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by triplethreat View Post
    I just have a lot of knowledge and find it irresistable to correct people.

    There are two types of people in this world, people who think they know everything and people who do. I, of course, am one of the latter.
    Uhhh... it's irresistible......


    3 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2013
    Location
    Outside the Emerald City
    Posts
    175

    Default

    I'm right there with you. One of my pet peeves is people who repost ridiculous things on facebook. From taking satire seriously to passing on urban legends, to flat out incorrect information (Dial 112 in an emergency, for example, or enter your pin backward at an atm if you're in trouble. I'm a 911 operator, so these drive me especially crazy).

    Luckily, I'm pretty much able to limit my know-it-all-ness to facebook. I really make an effort not to pester my friends, coworkers, or husband!


    5 members found this post helpful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug. 1, 2013
    Location
    Zone 5
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MojitoMare View Post
    I'm right there with you. One of my pet peeves is people who repost ridiculous things on facebook. From taking satire seriously to passing on urban legends, to flat out incorrect information (Dial 112 in an emergency, for example, or enter your pin backward at an atm if you're in trouble. I'm a 911 operator, so these drive me especially crazy).

    Luckily, I'm pretty much able to limit my know-it-all-ness to facebook. I really make an effort not to pester my friends, coworkers, or husband!
    Bolding mine. Who makes this stuff up?! Gah.

    And personally, lots of people need to be educated. So OP consider it open season
    Rest your pride, Michael. Rest your pride and maybe we can all evolve.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    43,121

    Default

    Just one PSA warning to the oh so enlightened.

    Remember that, happens at any age, but especially as you get older, you will find that your memories, those traitors, are not that reliable.

    If you don't want to end up with egg in your oh so bright and knowledgeable face, double check, double check!


    5 members found this post helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar. 26, 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,204

    Default

    I have learned to stay quiet more, even though in my mind when things work out as I predicted (to myself) I think, "Yeah I could have told you that". What has helped is asking myself whether the world will stop turning and come to an end if I don't speak up.

    Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).


    4 members found this post helpful.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr. 13, 2005
    Location
    Rochester NY
    Posts
    1,686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    Yes I'm one of those too. But in my own defense, I don't open my mouth unless I am pretty damn sure that what I am saying is correct (to be differentiated from opinions where everyone has one and no one is right or wrong).

    You have the right attitude - self awareness and an ability to make fun of yourself.
    omg I'm the same... because I never say "facts" I don't know are true, and I have no problem saying "I don't know, let me look it up" or "I *think* it might be this, but let me double check" it often appears to others that I'm either smart or know it all - which I'm not! I just check my facts haha

    and I cant stand those idiots on FB that post ridiculous things, HERE LET ME GOOGLE THAT FOR YOU, NOPE - IF YOU SHARE THAT IPHONE SCAM AND POST THE COLOR YOU WILL NOT GET A NEW IPHONE....


    2 members found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep. 8, 2006
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by triplethreat View Post
    First step is admitting you have a problem right? Well how do I stop? I mean, I'm not one of those people that HAS to be right. I just have a lot of knowledge and find it irresistable to correct people.

    There are two types of people in this world, people who think they know everything and people who do. I, of course, am one of the latter. HAHA. But seriously, I feel like it's not necessarily what I say but how I say it. I guess I come off as condescending? So how can I stop that?

    Please people, don't lecture me on how I'm an awful person and how all know-it-alls should perish from the earth.

    Oh and one time I though I was wrong, but it turns out I was mistaken. :P
    Stop hanging around so many stupid people.
    "Business!” cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. “Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business.”


    4 members found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2000
    Location
    Rochester,NY,USA
    Posts
    7,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    Stop hanging around so many stupid people.
    Agreed!
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2013
    Location
    Outside the Emerald City
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Tetrax View Post
    Bolding mine. Who makes this stuff up?! Gah.

    And personally, lots of people need to be educated. So OP consider it open season
    From what I understand 112 is the european equivalent of 911. But only a few of the phones used in the US are set up to get through to 911 that way. Why not just dial 911? Same amount of numbers, and much much better chance you will get through to emergency services. I shoot that one down every time I see it, but it is frustrating to see people continue to pass it on.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    4,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by triplethreat View Post
    I guess I could try that. I just hate to think that people are going around misinformed and that I could have saved them by illuminating the truth!
    Well you are wrong as most people today do not care if they know an answer as they have a cell phone and they call to get the answer, the same answer they got yesterday, the same answer they got this morning, every time they run into the same problem they call for the answer...they do not care that they do not know the answer as they remain in their blissful state of stupidity



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov. 7, 2002
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    5,457

    Default

    If you're serious about the question, I have found that ASKING if someone would like your input goes a long way to having the info being absorbed.

    Most people would rather not have their mistakes exposed, and I'm guessing that those who repost Facebook items are among them.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan. 18, 2007
    Location
    Heaven on Earth--Sonoma County, CA
    Posts
    1,659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AllWeatherGal View Post
    If you're serious about the question, I have found that ASKING if someone would like your input goes a long way to having the info being absorbed.

    Most people would rather not have their mistakes exposed, and I'm guessing that those who repost Facebook items are among them.
    Plus one. This is one of my least favorite personality traits--and I'm feeling sensitive right now because I'm dealing with one of you in my own life. I find it the height of rudeness to assume I'm doing a task a certain way because I'm dumb and ignorant, rather than that I have a well thought out reason to do it that way.

    If I ask you for an opinion or assistance, fine, but otherwise, shut it. Seriously.

    Now, I do have a slightly different opinion about obvious untruths on Facebook or the like. I will, gently, correct those, (I noticed the blind deaf orphan doing reining one is going around again, for instance), or the photoshopped pic of boob plus seed pod OMG Victoria's Secret bras will give you tata parasites thing. But you can correct without being an a-hole. Really. I promise.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com


    4 members found this post helpful.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr. 3, 2006
    Location
    Spooner, WI
    Posts
    2,397

    Default

    When it comes to facts I'm a stickler. Opinions are not facts. On FB I find myself posting "Snopes is your friend." What truly horrifies me that most are not interested in truth/facts. Dogma supersedes intellect.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan. 6, 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3,562

    Default

    But what if you see someone doing something that's ultimately harmful to an innocent, like -- yeah, I'll go there -- their horse?? I'll smile and nod politely when someone's dead wrong on something inconsequential. But when an animals' safety or health is at stake, then what? How does one kindly say.... "Oh.. that ulcerific horse you have? Who's exhibiting colic symptoms when you throw grain E.V.E.R.Y time? You probably SHOULDN"T give him banamine paste just cuz he's not gobbling his grain. You're just burning him and making it worse for him in the long run".... ??

    Nevermind the fact it's hard for me to even say these thing sweetly without the voice in my head screaming DUMBASS!!



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    4,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    When it comes to facts I'm a stickler. Opinions are not facts. .
    When I was an air traffic controller, facts were opinions

    No landing gear down... our response was to be it appears your landing gear in not down.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr. 3, 2006
    Location
    Spooner, WI
    Posts
    2,397

    Default

    Facts shape opinions. So I can see where opinions are also null and void. However folks are reluctant to look at facts that go against their core beliefs. Cognitive dissonance. Folks have a tough time admitting error. Ego gets in the way.


    2 members found this post helpful.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness