The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 367
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar. 8, 2012
    Posts
    220

    Default Never traveling alone without my White husband again! Yes, a rant.

    Some of the posts on "off topic" have made me throw up a little in my mouth. Many of these posts on this forum make me ashamed, and fearful, and sad to be an American today. Quite a few of you clearly believe that I, (and those pigmented like me), are thugs, or animals, or something else less than human and deserve to die and be blown up; or not protected and served by the police. Guess what! Black people are first and foremost PEOPLE too. We contribute to our communities and lend value to the world, and not just with gangsta rap videos or by marrying Kim Kardashian or being able to slam dunk. I would love to know how many of you who post hateful negative things actually know ANY of us as friends, not just based on what you see in the media. I recognize that I myself am not poor, or inner city, or even urban, but that does not make those who are in these circumstances "less than."

    Over the past week (building off my entire life!!) I have learned once again that I clearly have to fear for my life in my own country if I get lost and need to ask for directions, both from the police and my fellow Americans. And I am a woman! I am even more petrified for my 16 year old nephew, who is as nerdy as they come but is a Black male. Yes, he has gotten "the talk." Several times over.

    And stop with the constant accusations against the President because he is, or is not, acting against, or for, what you think he should or should not. Just stop. I don't care if you disagree with his policies. I don't agree with everything he says (even though he is Black [or half Black, or Muslim, or Kenyan, or illegal, or a monkey, or whatever you want him to be this week]). But don't use it as a thinly veiled disguise against your own racism. And for those who keep bleating how they don't see color, or are not racist, but why do Black people have to do xxxx (because of course we are all the same! NOT!) why do you feel the need to share that ad nauseam. I almost feel like you would be more genuine if you would just admit to your racist bias. At least then I would know what I have to deal with, up front.

    I am Black in the US. I feel discrimination so much of the time. And I'm not living in poverty; so far from it. Just this week I stepped into an ATM vestibule to get money and the woman already there immediately stopped her transaction and moved away to wait until I had conducted my business and gotten my cash. We were the only ones in there. As I was leaving the building she returned to the ATM to restart her transaction. I wanted to run back in to see what she would do (because clearly I was out to rob her!), but I restrained myself. I estimate that according to my income I am well within the top bracket in the US. Overall. Not just Black people. At least they tax me that way. I get followed around in stores. ALL THE TIME!!! Patients I meet for the first time I sometimes never see again because they transfer to other physicians IN MY PRACTICE (of which I am the medical director.) I know why, because they actually tell the other (White) doctors who relay it back to me. Can you believe people actually tell them this!?! They do.

    I know some people decrease my IQ by at least 20 points because I am Black. One time I walked into a room to meet a new family and I said "Hi, I'm Dr. Rider" and the response was "No, we were waiting for the Dr. Rider who is the head of the department." My response was "yes, that is me." They were shocked.

    I could go on, and on, and on. The thing is, I think all this actually makes me more empathic to the plights of others, which ironically makes me a more effective physician, which then translates to me being a better human being overall. I don't hate you haters. I truly feel sorry for you.

    And to tie back to the title of my thread, the service I get when I am with my blue eyed, 6'2" blond White husband compared to when I am at the same business alone?? Shocking.

    That is all. Carry on.
    Please don't hate or discriminate. Chestnut Mares everywhere will thank you.

    "Don't let the turkeys get you down."


    149 members found this post helpful.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2010
    Posts
    7,374

    Default

    Glad you said it. I don't care what the shade of your skin is, I think the attitude people clearly have that is so obvious in here and in the world is sickening. I hope they take it to heart and start realizing what they are doing.

    Hugs.


    39 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul. 21, 2011
    Location
    Co
    Posts
    5,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DocRider View Post
    Some of the posts on "off topic" have made me throw up a little in my mouth. Many of these posts on this forum make me ashamed, and fearful, and sad to be an American today. Quite a few of you clearly believe that I, (and those pigmented like me), are thugs, or animals, or something else less than human and deserve to die and be blown up; or not protected and served by the police. Guess what! Black people are first and foremost PEOPLE too. We contribute to our communities and lend value to the world, and not just with gangsta rap videos or by marrying Kim Kardashian or being able to slam dunk. I would love to know how many of you who post hateful negative things actually know ANY of us as friends, not just based on what you see in the media. I recognize that I myself am not poor, or inner city, or even urban, but that does not make those who are in these circumstances "less than."

    Over the past week (building off my entire life!!) I have learned once again that I clearly have to fear for my life in my own country if I get lost and need to ask for directions, both from the police and my fellow Americans. And I am a woman! I am even more petrified for my 16 year old nephew, who is as nerdy as they come but is a Black male. Yes, he has gotten "the talk." Several times over.

    And stop with the constant accusations against the President because he is, or is not, acting against, or for, what you think he should or should not. Just stop. I don't care if you disagree with his policies. I don't agree with everything he says (even though he is Black [or half Black, or Muslim, or Kenyan, or illegal, or a monkey, or whatever you want him to be this week]). But don't use it as a thinly veiled disguise against your own racism. And for those who keep bleating how they don't see color, or are not racist, but why do Black people have to do xxxx (because of course we are all the same! NOT!) why do you feel the need to share that ad nauseam. I almost feel like you would be more genuine if you would just admit to your racist bias. At least then I would know what I have to deal with, up front.

    I am Black in the US. I feel discrimination so much of the time. And I'm not living in poverty; so far from it. Just this week I stepped into an ATM vestibule to get money and the woman already there immediately stopped her transaction and moved away to wait until I had conducted my business and gotten my cash. We were the only ones in there. As I was leaving the building she returned to the ATM to restart her transaction. I wanted to run back in to see what she would do (because clearly I was out to rob her!), but I restrained myself. I estimate that according to my income I am well within the top bracket in the US. Overall. Not just Black people. At least they tax me that way. I get followed around in stores. ALL THE TIME!!! Patients I meet for the first time I sometimes never see again because they transfer to other physicians IN MY PRACTICE (of which I am the medical director.) I know why, because they actually tell the other (White) doctors who relay it back to me. Can you believe people actually tell them this!?! They do.

    I know some people decrease my IQ by at least 20 points because I am Black. One time I walked into a room to meet a new family and I said "Hi, I'm Dr. Rider" and the response was "No, we were waiting for the Dr. Rider who is the head of the department." My response was "yes, that is me." They were shocked.

    I could go on, and on, and on. The thing is, I think all this actually makes me more empathic to the plights of others, which ironically makes me a more effective physician, which then translates to me being a better human being overall. I don't hate you haters. I truly feel sorry for you.

    And to tie back to the title of my thread, the service I get when I am with my blue eyed, 6'2" blond White husband compared to when I am at the same business alone?? Shocking.

    That is all. Carry on.
    Doc, I cannot apologize for the bigotry and ignorance of others, as much as would like to, there is no excuse for it.

    Many people are taught to hate from an early age. I am lucky not to have come from that kind of environment and my life is better because of it.

    Not everyone here is an idiot, the idiots just seem to flock to the off topic
    forum on political and current news threads.


    34 members found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep. 22, 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    I will not judge anyone on their skin color. I will base my assessment of an individual based on their personal behaviors, language, dress/attitude you portray and willingness to do the same. While I am white, I have family of mixed ethnicities and social status. Some of the smartest and most respected professionals I work with are black, Asian, Hispanic and Middle Eastern. I WILL NOT judge them because of their ethnicity the same as they don't assume that because I'm a blue-eyed blonde haired white girl that I'm a member of the Arian nation (sp?).

    I'll never forget the day my (much!) younger sisters BFF was being teased about her mixed ethnicity at about 7-8 years old. My sister didn't hesitate to jump in and stand up to the bully, "She's mixed! So what!?!??" Ironically enough her friend was being teased by black children for not being dark enough. Guess racism exists on all ends of the a$$hole spectrum.

    If I had one wish, it would be for all children in my DDs generation to grow up learning to see people as an individual instead of by colors and preconceived notions. OP- I too apologize for the lessors of our society who cannot see past skin tones.
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!


    10 members found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan. 28, 2013
    Location
    Southeastern US
    Posts
    1,981

    Default

    I do not watch news shows on TV or any political commentators. My life is much more peaceful as a result. I get the news through websites that are not so bent on dividing us along political, racial, and socioeconomic lines.

    I am very sorry that there is so much hate in this country right now. I am not sure what to think either. Just please know that there are those of us out there that will look at your heart, rather than your skin color.

    For everyone, if you find some commentator getting you relied up, take a step back and turn off the TV. It's his or her JOB to get you mad. It draws people in. The media doesn't care that it is destroying our country as long as they get richer. Don't listen to the hate.
    “You made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in You."

    -St Augustine


    11 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California
    Posts
    5,179

    Default

    DocRider, it makes me sad you have to even make a post with this.

    I have a fairly good understanding of what you are experiencing but in an opposite way. My SO is black and even though we live in a progressive state like California, I can tell you from experience racism is alive and well here.

    We have left restaurants for not getting service when every single table with caucasian patrons around us have gotten plenty of attention. We have been pulled over a number of times for petty reasons, even though he drives a really nice car and obeys all traffic laws.

    My SO is educated, and has a career in the radio profession. There is nothing thuggish or threatening about him. As a matter of fact, he is just like a cuddly teddy bear, yet we still see people give us a wide berth in passing.

    I was out walking his dog one evening and we passed a group of kids playing with skateboards on a homemade ramp. The sound of the wheels on the ramp frightened the dog, and the one black kid out of five said this:

    "I bet you he is scared of me because I'm black." He was quite sincere and matter of fact and it broke my heart. This was in an upscale neighborhood in Sacramento, California. I did let the him know that the dog's "dad" is black and that it was the skateboards that made him nervous.

    My PCP is a black woman and I love her to pieces. She and I were discussing prejudice and racism one day and she told me an interesting story about how she had gone to a VERY upscale restaurant by herself in the heart of the venture capitol corridor in silicon valley. She simply wanted to have a nice glass of wine and write some notes. She said she was surrounded by white male businessmen whose constant staring at her eventually made her uncomfortable enough to leave.

    She also has a story similar to yours in which she walked into a room and the people in it were surprised she was the esteemed physician who would be speaking to the group.

    As I've said on other threads, racism is indeed alive and well EVERYWHERE, including the COTH forums.

    I'm sorry for what you are experiencing and am sad you had to write your post.

    On a somewhat funny note, I went to my SO's family reunion and was the only caucasian in a group of about 50 people. When one of the organizers was on a microphone trying to get everyone's attention, she said "Okay black people...paused for a second, looked at me, and added "and others"! To this day, my SO still jokes about me being "an other". However, I know for sure that no matter how much he downplays the issue of being a black man in America, there is still a piece of his heart that has been scarred forever.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg


    27 members found this post helpful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct. 11, 2007
    Location
    Andover, MA
    Posts
    6,690

    Default

    Thank you for speaking up.

    I am white (mostly anyway. Half Jewish and there are still people in this world who don't count Jews of Eastern European background as "white." And possibly 1/32 or 1/64 Native American, on the other side.) I am politically fairly liberal, grew up with kids of many races and have had non-white friends for pretty much all my life. I've been the only white person present at friends' weddings, in cars with them, at restaurants with them etc. and can attest to the truthfulness of what you say.

    Yet I would never, never call myself "not racist." I barely think it's possible, and I think the whole "I'm color blind" stuff is BS and mostly a way to assuage guilt. I know my behavior changes in subtle ways when I am in a mostly-black neighborhood (which I am, pretty regularly), that I have moments of "that's so Black/Puerto Rican/White/Asian" when someone behaves according to racial stereotypes, etc. I try not to be obvious about it, but I know that I often fail.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

    Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine


    16 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun. 16, 2009
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DocRider View Post
    Some of the posts on "off topic" have made me throw up a little in my mouth. Many of these posts on this forum make me ashamed, and fearful, and sad to be an American today. Quite a few of you clearly believe that I, (and those pigmented like me), are thugs, or animals, or something else less than human and deserve to die and be blown up; or not protected and served by the police. Guess what! Black people are first and foremost PEOPLE too. We contribute to our communities and lend value to the world, and not just with gangsta rap videos or by marrying Kim Kardashian or being able to slam dunk. I would love to know how many of you who post hateful negative things actually know ANY of us as friends, not just based on what you see in the media. I recognize that I myself am not poor, or inner city, or even urban, but that does not make those who are in these circumstances "less than."

    Over the past week (building off my entire life!!) I have learned once again that I clearly have to fear for my life in my own country if I get lost and need to ask for directions, both from the police and my fellow Americans. And I am a woman! I am even more petrified for my 16 year old nephew, who is as nerdy as they come but is a Black male. Yes, he has gotten "the talk." Several times over.

    And stop with the constant accusations against the President because he is, or is not, acting against, or for, what you think he should or should not. Just stop. I don't care if you disagree with his policies. I don't agree with everything he says (even though he is Black [or half Black, or Muslim, or Kenyan, or illegal, or a monkey, or whatever you want him to be this week]). But don't use it as a thinly veiled disguise against your own racism. And for those who keep bleating how they don't see color, or are not racist, but why do Black people have to do xxxx (because of course we are all the same! NOT!) why do you feel the need to share that ad nauseam. I almost feel like you would be more genuine if you would just admit to your racist bias. At least then I would know what I have to deal with, up front.

    I am Black in the US. I feel discrimination so much of the time. And I'm not living in poverty; so far from it. Just this week I stepped into an ATM vestibule to get money and the woman already there immediately stopped her transaction and moved away to wait until I had conducted my business and gotten my cash. We were the only ones in there. As I was leaving the building she returned to the ATM to restart her transaction. I wanted to run back in to see what she would do (because clearly I was out to rob her!), but I restrained myself. I estimate that according to my income I am well within the top bracket in the US. Overall. Not just Black people. At least they tax me that way. I get followed around in stores. ALL THE TIME!!! Patients I meet for the first time I sometimes never see again because they transfer to other physicians IN MY PRACTICE (of which I am the medical director.) I know why, because they actually tell the other (White) doctors who relay it back to me. Can you believe people actually tell them this!?! They do.

    I know some people decrease my IQ by at least 20 points because I am Black. One time I walked into a room to meet a new family and I said "Hi, I'm Dr. Rider" and the response was "No, we were waiting for the Dr. Rider who is the head of the department." My response was "yes, that is me." They were shocked.

    I could go on, and on, and on. The thing is, I think all this actually makes me more empathic to the plights of others, which ironically makes me a more effective physician, which then translates to me being a better human being overall. I don't hate you haters. I truly feel sorry for you.

    And to tie back to the title of my thread, the service I get when I am with my blue eyed, 6'2" blond White husband compared to when I am at the same business alone?? Shocking.

    That is all. Carry on.
    Hear hear! Thanks for speaking up it needed to be said
    I see distances. Most times more than one. Sometimes I pick the right one, sometimes I pick the wrong one, and sometimes I close my eyes and let Jesus take the wheel.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    5,631

    Default

    police stop everyone they like to play the power card
    Last edited by clanter; Aug. 22, 2014 at 06:32 AM.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2006
    Posts
    9,641

    Default

    The evidence of persistent discrimination and prejudice is so clear I don't think it is enough to be "not racist" any more. It is time for people who truly believe in equality to be white allies, actively examine their privilege and their own biased thoughts (even people who don't want to be biased can still discover in themselves biased thoughts), and be more proactive rather than just shrugging and patting themselves on the back for having no biases. It is easy to have "no biases" if you spend zero time actually thinking about your own actions and beliefs or evaluating them.

    Sometimes I hesitate to say this because people can interpret it as patronizing ("What do you mean white allies? Black people can't fix their own problems unless they get white help?") but at some point white people ARE ACTUALLY going to have to change their own attitudes. It is not black people's jobs to be exceptional so that white people don't think they are thugs. Imagine if white people had to be world famous astrophysicists to get any respect.

    So as ridiculous as it may sound, I try to be a white ally. I have some people with racist tendencies on my fb feed and I routinely share news articles that portray blacks in a positive light or opinion pieces that examine the larger social issues. I became vegetarian because someone kept sharing information about meat production on fb, who knows if my fb activity has gotten even one person to rethink some of their ideas on race.

    And another thing I do is to make sure to actively acknowledge people on the street/subway/whereever. If a "big scary black man" steps on the subway I smile with eyecontact and make room. So many times you hear black people say that people shrink from them in public spaces, and I want to extend a little bit of common humanity into their day.

    Again it feels really patronizing to say stuff like, "I try to look at people to make their day better and thus save the world," and I am open to criticism or other points of view on this, but I am at the heart of it trying to make an effort.


    25 members found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2006
    Posts
    9,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    police stop everyone they like to play the power card
    Police do stop everyone, but they stop black people at greatly disproportionate rates.
    H.
    For pages and pages of well-supported evidence on this, I recommend reading, "The New Jim Crow."


    26 members found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar. 24, 2004
    Location
    Pottstown, PA (East Coventry)
    Posts
    3,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    police stop everyone they like to play the power card
    When I lived in an apartment my neighbor received a very used Camaro for his HS graduation present. He is black. He goes to drive to work at McDonalds in Downingtown and gets pulled over. No explanation.
    "Officer have a done something?"
    Reply: "Shut up"
    They ran his tags and sent him on his way. They figured he must have stolen it because no black kid should be driving that kinda car. You know his "crime"? Driving while black.

    Same kid before he got the car. Working at McDonalds, ends his shift and goes to walk the 3 blocks to his grandmother's house. He gets hasseled by the cops since he is out after the teenage curfew by about 15 minutes. Mind you he is wearing is McDonald's uniform so it was obvious where he was coming from. The entire time he is being hasseled by the cops there are 4 white kids across the street cat-calling to him. They were classmates so the same age. But the cops didn't say anything to them. If anything they should have been moved along home because they were loitering in the parking lot of the 7-Eleven. My neighbor was on the sidewalk.


    So no police don't stop everyone. They only stopped the black kid not the 4 white teenagers.

    FYI- This kid was always well spoken, well dressed and polite to me and my DH. There was nothing about how he acted that would make the police think "thug" or "drug dealer" or "bad news". Must have been the McDonald's uniform because I am sure it had nothing to do with him being black. (Sarcasm)

    Sorry to say racism, even by the police, is alive and well in the US.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)


    28 members found this post helpful.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar. 9, 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    1,788

    Default

    I'm sorry, that's all I can say. I'm so white I'm translucent, but do not judge anyone based on color or SES or whatever. I think we're all just trying to get along.

    Funnily, my grandmother, who grew up in Germany, used a then-accepted-now-not-PC term of her time (colored) when referring to anyone black, but was the most non-racist, inclusive, wonderful person in my life. My mother, who moved here to the US as a teen and was raised in the US culture is most bigoted narrow minded human in the family (and is estranged luckily). I don't know if it is American culture, the era one lives in, the region, or what. I'm just happy I didn't follow her lead as a youth.

    Keep being classy. I'm sorry for your struggle.
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr. 21, 2010
    Posts
    2,691

    Default

    I was just thinking yesterday, what if I was black? I'd literally have people looking at me suspiciously for merely existing.

    I will never understand the struggle that someone goes through, just because their skin is dark. I give credit to people who don't end up extremely bitter, because I think I would be.


    14 members found this post helpful.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar. 30, 2004
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    3,016

    Default

    Thank you for posting. Do you have ideas on what white allies can do that you'd post here? My strategies are similar to meup, also open to criticism or ideas.
    Somewhere in the world, Jason Miraz is Goodling himself and wondering why "the chronicle of the horse" is a top hit. CaitlinAndTheBay



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug. 20, 2003
    Posts
    156

    Default

    The OP makes me sad. There is no reason that a person should have to defend their race or the color of their skin. I'm truly color blind, truly, I can't tell you if I've spoken to a person of color or not lately. I come in contact with a lot of people every day and can only comment on if they were pleasant to speak to or not. I've always looked at the person in front of me and judged (we all judge people if we like to admit or not) them by their actions, not clothing, not skin, or accents. I know others who judge anyone with southern accents as uneducated. I don't care what color you are, where you came from, or your social status, if you treat me/ others with respect I judge you as a good person. Thugs are thugs, bullies are bullies, no matter color, race or social standing. In my world, there is no racism. But that is my world, unfortunately not the real world. It's time to look inside the people who cross our lives and take them for who they are. If you are a nasty mannered, rude, or just plain PIA I won't like you. I'm polite to everyone I meet until they show me different.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    46,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    The evidence of persistent discrimination and prejudice is so clear I don't think it is enough to be "not racist" any more. It is time for people who truly believe in equality to be white allies, actively examine their privilege and their own biased thoughts (even people who don't want to be biased can still discover in themselves biased thoughts), and be more proactive rather than just shrugging and patting themselves on the back for having no biases. It is easy to have "no biases" if you spend zero time actually thinking about your own actions and beliefs or evaluating them.

    Sometimes I hesitate to say this because people can interpret it as patronizing ("What do you mean white allies? Black people can't fix their own problems unless they get white help?") but at some point white people ARE ACTUALLY going to have to change their own attitudes. It is not black people's jobs to be exceptional so that white people don't think they are thugs. Imagine if white people had to be world famous astrophysicists to get any respect.

    So as ridiculous as it may sound, I try to be a white ally. I have some people with racist tendencies on my fb feed and I routinely share news articles that portray blacks in a positive light or opinion pieces that examine the larger social issues. I became vegetarian because someone kept sharing information about meat production on fb, who knows if my fb activity has gotten even one person to rethink some of their ideas on race.

    And another thing I do is to make sure to actively acknowledge people on the street/subway/whereever. If a "big scary black man" steps on the subway I smile with eyecontact and make room. So many times you hear black people say that people shrink from them in public spaces, and I want to extend a little bit of common humanity into their day.

    Again it feels really patronizing to say stuff like, "I try to look at people to make their day better and thus save the world," and I am open to criticism or other points of view on this, but I am at the heart of it trying to make an effort.
    Would help if those that think so would extend that to all humans, not only those they don't have to make an effort to be considerate.

    People need to be basically fair and honest with ALL.
    Without that, many will find this or that reason to consider others second class citizens.
    For many, that will be people of color, for others, whatever it is you don't like.

    Until we learn to consider all worthy until proven not a good person, not for what race or any other we may find to discriminate against, I am afraid that there will be some excuse some will give to themselves to consider others beneath themselves, not just race.

    Growing up in Europe many decades ago, we didn't even have black people.
    I don't remember seeing a black person until I had my riding school and the nearby disco hired for the summer a jazz band from Paris, that most members were black.
    The owner of the band and great with the trumpet came to ride, bought a horse from me and we kind of eventually dated that summer.
    That he was black was not even in anyone's radar, that we both were musicians is what mattered.
    He never spoke about the USA but did say he was not going back, I now assume it was because of the race issue, something we in Europe really were clueless about.

    I don't know what is going in Europe today, maybe things have changed.
    If so, I sure hope not for worse, dividing people by races.
    One of my family there is half West African black and no one has mentioned that being a problem.
    They do have a problem with anyone being "an american", you know, those world bullies and most horrible people you ever want to hate.

    I would say, as demonstrated clearly in Ferguson, the hate seems to be on both sides, just as some may think the deceased was a thug just by being black, before the video was showing he may have been one after all, there are way too many assuming the policeman is a murderer just by being a policeman and even more damning, white.

    Until we solve the polarization, that this president didn't help any to heal, he has been clearly divisive, not inclusive, we will keep struggling with these problems.

    OP, we are who we are, we do the best with what we have.
    Seems that you have done better in society than most of any race or any other we may want to use to differentiate between people.
    I hope you find a way to feel that your worth is not tied to what others may think, especially those that are from clueless to sadly so bigoted.


    13 members found this post helpful.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2012
    Posts
    2,469

    Default

    Bluey, very good post. I grew up in a time when, if a woman doctor walked into a room, it was assumed she was the nurse. "We're waiting for DOCTOR Rider, the man."

    Dr. Rider, I'm sorry for your experiences...that should never happen to anyone.

    Am I color blind? No, of course not. Would I treat you like that? Never. I would never prejudge you; in fact, I have a tendency to think everybody is like me. I get taken advantage of a lot because not everybody is nice. Got my car keyed by a man because I was in the parking spot he wanted and he had to park NEXT to it. White guy. I've been robbed 3 times, only once by a black man. The meanest people in my world were white women.

    I judge people on their behavior; doesn't matter the color of their skin.

    FWIW, many years ago, I bought a huge fake diamond ring for all of $10, just for the fun of it. Put it on and immediately noticed how much better the service in the store became. Clerks rushed to wait on me, very polite and respectful. I don't doubt for a minute that Dr. Rider experiences different treatment when she's with her husband.
    Ride like you mean it.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr. 13, 2013
    Location
    Vienna (world's top city for spies!)
    Posts
    1,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    police stop everyone they like to play the power card
    Is this 'power card' the card you meant in your pre-edit post?


    5 members found this post helpful.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2002
    Location
    Area VIII, Region 2, Zone 5.
    Posts
    7,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    police stop everyone they like to play the power card
    Yeah, if it makes you feel better to think that, then have a nice day. The police have never stopped me. I am white.
    Founding member of the "I Miss bar.ka" clique
    Founding member of the "I Miss Pocket Trainer" clique


    9 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Husband, Husband's Cat, Problems With Both
    By ACP in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: May. 25, 2012, 08:02 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Feb. 10, 2011, 06:02 PM
  3. Safe 'human' products to make white legs white.
    By mandalea in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Jan. 29, 2009, 04:23 AM
  4. Replies: 23
    Last Post: Jan. 19, 2009, 08:08 PM
  5. Replies: 29
    Last Post: May. 31, 2008, 10:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness