The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    I see the resident etiquette expert/pearl clutcher has made her appearance.
    Really, what's that all about? The only comments I made were to express shock that someone would blame the man when the bride's parents' flight was cancelled due to a storm... and the insinuation that the bride's parents were more important as guests due to their "financial interest" in the wedding.

And yeah, weddings are expensive.

I will confess to a "tacky" short-cut that I took for the reception... I provided 2 bottles of wine (white&red) for each table, and each adult got 2 tickets for free drinks at the bar. Above & beyond that people had to pay for alcohol (pop/water/juice we had available for free). After the reception, we learned that most guests didn't even use their tickets; they paid for their own drinks so we wouldn't have to pick up the tab for them.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    We did our wedding and reception for about 125 guests for $5000.00. Included everything, including open bar. It was nice. Buffet style food, a DJ, (a friend) and a budding young photographer (daughter of a friend), flowers, a gorgeous cake (baker is a friend). It also helped that the owner of the venue is a friend of ours.
    was this supposed to prove my point that the only way to have an inexpensive wedding is if friends give you services free or at materials cost? Because it does.

2 members found this post helpful.

Well our wedding cost us $5500. and that was even paying for rooms for a few of the people that came to our wedding. My DH's kilt cost more then my dress. My MOH could wear what ever dress she wanted, even one she already had as long as she had a tartan sash on. The flowers where $150. the cake/cup cakes where $200 + the tartan icing and topper I had shipped from Scotland for them was another $100. Photos done by a family member that does it for a living. I paid their regular rate. The biggest cost was where we had the wedding. I sent out invites for 50 people and we had 22 come.

We had a great time and everyone that came enjoyed themselves. I wish my MIL had come as she was one of the 4 people that DH wanted there but she didn't want to travel that far. She did tell us later that she wish she had come and regrets that she didn't.

This is photos from our wedding https://www.facebook.com/eleanor.fra...4447272&type=3
    My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor View Post
    Well our wedding cost us $5500. and that was even paying for rooms for a few of the people that came to our wedding. My DH's kilt cost more then my dress. My MOH could wear what ever dress she wanted, even one she already had as long as she had a tartan sash on. The flowers where $150. the cake/cup cakes where $200 + the tartan icing and topper I had shipped from Scotland for them was another $100. Photos done by a family member that does it for a living. I paid their regular rate. The biggest cost was where we had the wedding. I sent out invites for 50 people and we had 22 come.

We had a great time and everyone that came enjoyed themselves. I wish my MIL had come as she was one of the 4 people that DH wanted there but she didn't want to travel that far. She did tell us later that she wish she had come and regrets that she didn't.

This is photos from our wedding https://www.facebook.com/eleanor.fra...4447272&type=3
    OMG, it's beautiful there! Love your photos, particularly the one of you and DH on the pier with the mountains/snow in the background. Thanks for sharing
    It's only when a mosquito lands on your privates that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence. fb meme.

Love the tartan wedding!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

but you will be marrying into a family

I am just playing with you. It can be done on the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    I don't have family Just aging parents and a brother.

Or you could do it with corporate sponsorship.

From a newspaper: http://www.lfpress.com/2014/08/27/el...dding-in-chile

Florida couple's big day could end up being one big commercial.

In order to pay for their “dream wedding” in Thailand, Courtney McKenzie and her fiance Jamil Newell are trying to get corporate sponsors to cover the $30,000 bill.

The couple launched the website “Sponsor Our Wedding” last week and are apparently having success.

“We are a young, fun couple who opted to have an adventure instead of a traditional wedding. We have created several sponsorship categories that incorporate your amazing company in our one-of-a-kind social wedding,” the site reads.

“We will be hashtagging, tweeting and instagramming our way through Thailand to our over 30,000 combined social media followers and we want to include some of our favorite brands on our adventure."

McKenzie told New York Daily News that they have a "handful of sponsors on board, including a hotel that will provide lodging and a company that has agreed to sponsor the wedding bands."

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    but you will be marrying into a family

I am just playing with you. It can be done on the cheap.
    It's okay Knowing me, I'll find another almost-orphan
    Quarry Rat

Actually I think that social media/thailand couple has a pretty bright idea. I wouldn't have the balls to try it, but I can totally see wedding service providers/jewelers jumping on board if they think it will get them visibility.

But I shouldn't comment on this, so far our wedding is costing about $80, for the license and ceremony. And I just found my wedding band at a pawn shop, and am SUPER excited about it.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    It's okay Knowing me, I'll find another almost-orphan
    I swear to God, if I ever have to get married again, it will be to the orphaned only child of only children. Once around the block with bat $hit crazy white trash in-laws is enough
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    That's what we're doing...40 guests. And to do it we are hurting a lot of feelings.

So the choice is: Pay $15,000 for a party to include everyone, or pay less and include the bare minimum and possibly have to hear about how cheap you are because you wanted a nice dress but didn't serve filet either way.

I guess my sentiment is...if you don't want to be there for the bride and groom, then don't go. But to go and complain about it? Well. I guess I wouldn't be thrilled to have that at my wedding.
    I had the ultimate cheap wedding...

I didn't want guests feeling like they had to buy gifts, since my (now DH) and I had been living together for 20 yrs and had everything we needed. So 2 yrs ago, when everyone in the family was going to be in town for a family get together for Christmas, we invited them over to our house for dinner a few days after Christmas. We told everyone we would be doing family photos (a tradition), so dress to be photographed. I bought a wedding dress, rented a tux for DH, bought a wedding cake, and had a "surprise" wedding.

Once everyone was at my house, my DH and I slipped into the bdm and changed clothes. My cousin is a pastor for the Fire dept here, so he made an announcement right after we finished dressing, that we had a surprise for everyone. And we walked out dressed in wedding attire. And cousin married us. Then we had drinks/ finger sandwiches/wedding cake and had a wonderful time.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

jetsmom, I couldn't see your picture, but I think that is the coolest idea I've ever heard for a wedding!

I suspect I may have already posted about my wedding on this thread, so just skip on by if this is a repeat--I am too lazy to look back and see what I wrote before. But we did a small chapel with only one close friend and a few family members (everyone stood up with us, which was kind of cool), then my dad took everyone who attended the ceremony out for dinner (there were only ten people altogether so it was affordable). Dinner was the only thing that I let anyone else pay for, and that was because my dad was very upset that I wouldn't let him help.

After dinner, we went to the hotel suite we had rented and had a bigger party--about 50 people ultimately, although all weren't there at the same time. A friend who owned a bar supplied the alcohol at her cost, another friend went to the grocery store and bought cold cuts, bread, cheese, snack food and soft drinks, and I used a boom box for music. Loved that party!

It was a business traveler-oriented hotel, so on a Saturday night it was pretty empty, giving us both a good deal on the rooms and the ability not to bother other guests with our noise.

It was pretty cheap, even with paying for the chapel, the suite, plus rooms for my in laws and our best man, both of whom came from out of town. My "wedding dress" was a pretty blue dress that cost $25 on sale, and I wore it to work for years afterward. DH wore a nice shirt and slacks with a sport coat but no tie, because he hates ties and I wasn't going to ask him to wear anything he didn't want to wear.

Rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post

I didn't want guests feeling like they had to buy gifts, since my (now DH) and I had been living together for 20 yrs and had everything we needed. So 2 yrs ago, when everyone in the family was going to be in town for a family get together for Christmas, we invited them over to our house for dinner a few days after Christmas. We told everyone we would be doing family photos (a tradition), so dress to be photographed. I bought a wedding dress, rented a tux for DH, bought a wedding cake, and had a "surprise" wedding.

Once everyone was at my house, my DH and I slipped into the bdm and changed clothes. My cousin is a pastor for the Fire dept here, so he made an announcement right after we finished dressing, that we had a surprise for everyone. And we walked out dressed in wedding attire. And cousin married us. Then we had drinks/ finger sandwiches/wedding cake and had a wonderful time.

I think this is the greatest idea ever. I had never heard of it until just before my wedding (at which time I was just looking forward to it being over). Had I heard of this before I totally would have done the same.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post

It's cool that your family supported this and there weren't people who wouldn't go to "just a holiday party' but who would be aghasted they weren't at your wedding.

Not everybody is in that situation, though.

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    Really, what's that all about? The only comments I made were to express shock that someone would blame the man when the bride's parents' flight was cancelled due to a storm... and the insinuation that the bride's parents were more important as guests due to their "financial interest" in the wedding.
    You are missing the point. The point is that the groom (no doubt) insisted that the wedding be on the east coast so his parents could attend because they refuse to fly anywhere. This is his second wedding, her first. The groom's parents contributed nothing to the cost of the wedding. Her parents paid for it all. I'm not blaming the storm on the groom or on his parents. I'm saying he's a selfish bastard who cares nothing for anyone else's feelings.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

3 members found this post helpful.

Not Wedding but just had someone on my friends list post that she will be having several baby showers so that everybody can participate and that they can participate multiple times as well....

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn trails View Post
    You are missing the point. The point is that the groom (no doubt) insisted that the wedding be on the east coast so his parents could attend because they refuse to fly anywhere. This is his second wedding, her first. The groom's parents contributed nothing to the cost of the wedding. Her parents paid for it all. I'm not blaming the storm on the groom or on his parents. I'm saying he's a selfish bastard who cares nothing for anyone else's feelings.
    You keep saying it like that but I keep hearing that they compromised on a location so that all could attend and it would have worked out just fine for everyone if not for a snowstorm that cancelled flights.

He may very well be a selfish bastard but I couldn't pin this on him.
    Jigga:

Reading this makes me glad for my family/friends. I married at the late age of 37, when everyone I knew was long married. My entire wedding cost $1200, including the church (we were members), wedding dress, flowers, etc. We didn't have a photographer, just gave some friends cameras and they took random pictures. I told my bridesmaids to buy a lavender, tea-length dress that they could wear again. Each had her own dress and it still looked nice! We only served punch and cake. No dj or dancing or dinner, just sitting around and chatting afterwards. No one complained about anything and the bridesmaids were happy to have a normal dress. Most people thought the wedding was quite sensible. We spent our money on a week long honeymoon in Jamaica, then six months later bought a house.

Still married 13 years later.