The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Retirement Options? (Northeastern US)

I think my "old guy" is about ready for retirement. He's been practically retired for a few years now, mostly living as a big expensive pet that the barn kids ride a few days a week. But, I think even light exercise is getting to be a bit much for him. So...

Any suggestions for great pasture board options in the northeast? I split time between NYC and Boston, so it would be ideal to find something that is reasonably close so I could visit. I would mostly be an absentee owner though, so I would need a place where he would get proper care. He's pasture sound and has lived in pasture before (did great in the herd, was fine barefoot, etc.), so I think it will be an easy/happy transition on his part. Not so much on my part.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I did some searching (both here and google) and didn't come up with many options.
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish."

You have a PM!
    Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

About what are you looking to spend?

There are a lot of smaller barns in my area that I would feel 100% comfortable recommending for a retired horse that don't actually advertise themselves as retirement barns.

Probably under $500. Our current facility is fantastic (albeit, more expensive), but is really intended for working horses. He's out about 4 hours a day, and in a stall the rest of it. Would love to see him at a facility where he's out all/most of the time with other horses, and where he could be groomed/checked/cared for in general. Thanks!

What are your thoughts about Vermont? Too far?

I think Vermont is doable. Basically, the further away he is, the less I get to check in. The less I get to check in, the "more stellar" the references and care have to be.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've heard great things about Ayer Mountain Farm in Franklin, CT. It's not fancy, but my friend has her horse retired there and he's very happy.

I also looked at a barn that I almost boarded at in Glastonbury CT called GMC Farm and it looks like it'd work great as a retirement option. Decided I couldn't board there because I'd never be able to ride in the winter, but everyone was so wonderful and the horses seem so happy!

sent a PM

Quote Originally Posted by CAJumper View Post
    I think my "old guy" is about ready for retirement. He's been practically retired for a few years now, mostly living as a big expensive pet that the barn kids ride a few days a week. But, I think even light exercise is getting to be a bit much for him. So...

Any suggestions for great pasture board options in the northeast? I split time between NYC and Boston, so it would be ideal to find something that is reasonably close so I could visit. I would mostly be an absentee owner though, so I would need a place where he would get proper care. He's pasture sound and has lived in pasture before (did great in the herd, was fine barefoot, etc.), so I think it will be an easy/happy transition on his part. Not so much on my part.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I did some searching (both here and google) and didn't come up with many options.
    You have a PM!

And you have another PM.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I know of a fantastic backyard barn here in Western NY that boards for around $175 plus the cost of your preferred grain per month. Fantastic care, large stalls, 80+ acres, great vet and farrier. I had my mare there before I lent her out to be a companion horse to my cousin's horse. I would go back in a heartbeat and I'm super picky about my horse's care.

My old guy is retired at a farm near Norwich CT. Its not totally a retirement barn, but they have a number of oldsters and offer excellent care with all day pasture turnout for a very reasonable price. I cant offer it as an option because it is full
    However I found it through networking which is something you could do. Ask your farrier, vet, friends etc about the kind of situation you would like. I actually found mine though my awesome former barn owner! She knew I needed a different situation (more turnout, no need for indoor, lower cost) so she helped me find it.
    It seems people I know have been more satisfied with low-key barns that aren't solely retirement farms. Seems like an easier transition for owner and horse. If you go with a retirement farm, make sure you understand all the rules, limitations and controls. It can work very differently and I have seen this change of control not well understood and cause problems.

1 members found this post helpful.

You have yet another PM